Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Had a very interesting conversation with a business man this evening.  He posed a question that I honestly have to say I've never thought about. . .and it's extremely valid IMO.  I'm going to put it out there and see what responses come back. 

One rule to keep in mind. . .this is not a contest, but a legitimate question that anyone that has something you need (i.e. money, time, expertise, etc.) would ask before either hiring you or not hiring you.  That's the mindset you should have in mind.

Models:
You're beautiful, edgy, have a comp card and you're ready for your first tear sheet.  So are the hundreds of other models in the room with you.  So. . .why should they hire Y O U and be the first to pay you?

Photographers:
You're talented, you have a keen eye and you want to be paid.  Why should a model/agency/anyone be the first to pay Y O U?

Jun 05 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

because i asked nicely

it's all about manners

and if that doesn't work, i threaten!

Jun 05 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
You're talented, you have a keen eye and you want to be paid.  Why should a model/agency/anyone be the first to pay Y O U?

If I can produce the product they are looking for then you come to me. And about that being the first to pay me.. that is way gone...

Jun 05 06 07:06 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Because I am Romanian

Jun 05 06 07:07 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

wow..i thought thats the first thing everyone thinks of...

i have gone to castings where there are 15 models that all look alike, sitting  in a waiting room...

how does the client choose?

i have dropped my book off wheres theres a stack of other photog's books..i peeked through them to look at the compition..and they are all different...

how does the client compare and choose when everyone's work is different?

why should they pick me?..hopefully i stand out over my competition and i competitively priced...

Jun 05 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

I think there are many answers to you question. First of all (as a photographer), I feel I can create unique, high quality images. I am consistent and easy to work with. I have been involved in the business world long enought to understand an AD or business owners goals and visions. I am open to collaboration and love a diverse creative environment. I think work should be fun, but also take my clients needs very seriously.

So am I hired? smile

Jun 05 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Alex C wrote:
Because I am Romanian

SOLD..so when can you come to tampa?

Jun 05 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

LMAO.. Thank you! I knew that was always the right answer to those types of questions. I have been trying to go to Florida for a while actually..

Jun 05 06 07:13 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Models:
You're beautiful, edgy, have a comp card and you're ready for your first tear sheet.  So are the hundreds of other models in the room with you.  So. . .why should they hire Y O U and be the first to pay you?

I'd like to think that I have more than a pretty face to offer...I'd like to think that I bring grace, class, poise, maturity, and professionalism to the table...I'm easy to work with and am always looking to learn from new people and experiences.

But in any given situation, who knows if that's enough to get chosen...  smile

Jun 05 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Simple. Because they really couldn't get what I can give them from anywhere else. In some cases it could be very useful to them. In some cases, it really wouldn't be. I let them make up their own minds on that, but I wouldn't throw my hat into the ring if I didn't think I could add something and give them value. Seriously. Dissatisfied clients, even if only model bookers, are always a bad thing.

Jun 05 06 07:22 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

I mean what sets you apart?  Why should I hire any of you over all the other people that I may think are prettier, better, more professional, better dressed, that have more experience??  Especially when there are others wiling to do it for free.  Why should I give you my money?  Why should I help you? 

If I've got money. . .I don't need your money.  If I'm the one looking for a model/photographer. . .I'm the one with the ability to pay said hired model/photographer and there are TONS to choose from.  Out of all my options, why should I pick Y O U?  What's in it for me above what any of these other TONS of people can give me?  Why should I give youthe check and not one of ]i]them[/i]?  Everything you've got (good/great/stellar pictures, personality, looks, affordability, range, etc. etc. etc.) so why you instead of one of them?

That's the question.  I think a lot of us on MM need to think about that and really take it seriously.

Jun 05 06 07:24 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Lexi Evans wrote:
because i asked nicely

it's all about manners

and if that doesn't work, i threaten!

You and 2/3 of the applicants with you have common sense enough to know to be polite to the one holding the check you want.  That's the only reason??

Jun 05 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Alex C wrote:
LMAO.. Thank you! I knew that was always the right answer to those types of questions. I have been trying to go to Florida for a while actually..

remember, if you get stuck on any answer for 'trivial pursuit"..the answer is the zipper....

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jun 05 06 07:26 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

My portfolio should answer all of that. That's what a portfolio is all about. If it doesn't, then either they don't know what they're looking at, or I'm really not the right photographer for them, at least for that job.

Jun 05 06 07:26 pm Link

Model

AlexandraC

Chicago, Illinois, US

Doug, I've never played that game before..

Jun 05 06 07:27 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
My portfolio should answer all of that.

So do the million other portfolios that came across my desk.  That's all you have to offer?  A great portfolio?  Photographers produce images.  With the right budget and skills and manipulation. . .they can be a dime a dozen.  What makes your work superior to those that have been in the business longer than you?  What makes your work superior to those that haven't been in the business longer but produce better images than you?

Jun 05 06 07:29 pm Link

Model

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Because you have the look that is needed? That's the only thing that would matter to me anyway....

Jun 05 06 07:30 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

tracidivicenzo wrote:
Because you have the look that is needed? That's the only thing that would matter to me anyway....

How many models look the same overall?  Of those models, how many models get the job?  One.  Why THAT one? 

Two models, same height, same weight, same overall bone structure, same frame/measurements. . .only one is going to get picked?  What determines that?

Jun 05 06 07:33 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Had a very interesting conversation with a business man this evening.  He posed a question that I honestly have to say I've never thought about. . .and it's extremely valid IMO.  I'm going to put it out there and see what responses come back. 

One rule to keep in mind. . .this is not a contest, but a legitimate question that anyone that has something you need (i.e. money, time, expertise, etc.) would ask before either hiring you or not hiring you.  That's the mindset you should have in mind.

Models:

Photographers:

I realize the question isn't posed to hair or makeup artists, but I will say, I pray to God that it's MY time to shine, and when I don't get a job, i always chalk it up to it was someone else's time and not to give up...

Nedjetti

Jun 05 06 07:35 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Models:

Because I put Visine in all the model's water.

No....

Why me? Honestly, I've been up for a role and that's not what goes through my head...instead of why me I say.. why them???...Look at that one...look at her skin..looks like she wiped her face with a pizza....look at her lips...did she get into a bar fight?? Thats what goes through my head.lol. Sounds terrible?I know. But think about it this way...it's way better in the long run for your self esteem. I'm mean you can't go to every casting and not think that your not good enough.

Jun 05 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Thanks for all the responses people. 

I guess I look at it like this:
Everyone has to start somewhere and someone had to be the one that says "I'm going to take a chance on this person."  I was trying to see what everyone thought about why whomever was the one taking the chance decided to do so.

I got some egos (my work should speak for itself) but the problem with that is. . .there's always someone better, cheaper, faster, more qualified, more experienced, more knowledgeable, etc. etc.  So that's really not a reason to "invest" in someone asking for a paycheck.  Most "names" don't necessarily "need" the paycheck. . .they have a name.

I got some hopefuls (well either they'll pick me or they won't) but the problem with that is hope springs eternal.  The one holding the paycheck isn't "hoping" they have someone to give it to. . .they have to determine "who" gets it.

Then I got some personality type responses.  All of which are great, but that doesn't rule out the above two which are still competing with you for the paycheck.

There's no "perfect" answer, only a perspective IMO.  I know I'll get all kinds of flack for this b/c I'm new and have no experience but that's the point. . .everyone s new to a client that's never hired them before. 

From where I'm sitting, anytime you're asking for someone's money you're asking for an investment.  If you want to start a company and you need someone to back you, you can't just go in there and say "well I look good."  "well my portfolio speaks for itself" or any of the other things that you "have" that make you unique.  Frankly, if they're holding the money they're not interested in YOU but what you can do for them.  More specifically. . .if you can make them more money.  Your looks/portfolio/personality aren't what's going to make them money, but rather it's what you're committed to doing.  You want that check, so you're willing to do ___ to get it and make it worth their while to give it to you.  They have money, you need it, why should they give it?  Not why do you want them to give it to you, but what do they get for being out $___.  Egos aside.  Experience or not.  That's the bottom line, what do they get out of this deal?  Period.  Point blank.

I think that in order for any business deal to be worthwhile, both parties must be willing to compensate the other party (i.e. both need to be willing to sacrifice something).  I'm not sure how else to say what's in my mind, but that's what I think about it and just wanted some feedback.  Thanks!

Jun 05 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Electra T wrote:
Because I put Visine in all the model's water.

No....

Why me? Honestly, I've been up for a role and that's not what goes through my head...instead of why me I say.. why them???...Look at that one...look at her skin..looks like she wiped her face with a pizza....look at her lips...did she get into a bar fight?? Thats what goes through my head.lol. Sounds terrible?I know. But think about it this way...it's way better in the long run for your self esteem. I'm mean you can't go to every casting and not think that your not good enough.

I guess I just see that as precisely the reason why it wasn't me but them.  They brought something to the table that made the deal worth doing.  It's more than looks/ability too I think.  I don't know how exactly to explain it, but it boils down to them having the impression that they come out better going with ___ because of ___.  I think you gotta figure out the "because of " part.  I could be wrong.  It could all be chance.

Jun 05 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Why did I choose the car I bought? Why did I choose the house I live in? Why Canon over Nikon? Your question is valid, but subjective. My answer may be totally different for 2 different clients depending on what they are looking for vs what I can offer.

Jun 05 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

I guess I just see that as precisely the reason why it wasn't me but them.  They brought something to the table that made the deal worth doing.  It's more than looks/ability too I think.  I don't know how exactly to explain it, but it boils down to them having the impression that they come out better going with ___ because of ___.  I think you gotta figure out the "because of " part.  I could be wrong.  It could all be chance.

I think its all about the vibes and who struck the C.D. or whatever its called in Modeling world.

Jun 05 06 07:56 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

groupw wrote:
Why did I choose the car I bought? Why did I choose the house I live in? Why Canon over Nikon? Your question is valid, but subjective. My answer may be totally different for 2 different clients depending on what they are looking for vs what I can offer.

But that's the one thing that will never change:  What you can offer that someone else can't.

Jun 05 06 07:58 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i hate questions like this, always make me feel like im inflating my own ego.  they will pick me cause they've never seen a big girl run like me! LoL umm yeah *whistles and walks away*

Jun 05 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Voice of Reason

Anaheim, California, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
...this is not a contest,

Uh, ya it is.

Jun 05 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
just wanted some feedback.  Thanks!

If it's your first tearsheet then they're basically making a blind investment...kind of like your first speaking role in a play....you might barf on stage bump into the set and forget you lines.....of the critics could love you....so YOU aren't any better or any worse than the others.... I mean yeah...

Jun 05 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
So do the million other portfolios that came across my desk.  That's all you have to offer?  A great portfolio?  Photographers produce images.  With the right budget and skills and manipulation. . .they can be a dime a dozen.  What makes your work superior to those that have been in the business longer than you?  What makes your work superior to those that haven't been in the business longer but produce better images than you?

Images, to a certain extent, yes, budget and production resources can have a lot to do with it. Sensibilities and ways of seeing, what a particular photographer brings to the table... nope. Every photographer who has reached a certain level of skill and experience has a particular way of seeing and a particular way of working that's quite unique, and quite plain to see when looking at their work, and that's what they bring to the table. That is what a portfolio is all about. Either it's there for you to see or it isn't. It really is that simple.

Jun 05 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Uh... I pick letter C: what Marko said.

Jun 05 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jayne Jones wrote:
Two models, same height, same weight, same overall bone structure, same frame/measurements. . .only one is going to get picked?  What determines that?

Whoever does the best interperative dance of the phrase "jealous angst".

When working with a client... 9 times out of 10 after speaking with the model and doing tests, the client will go with who they like the best.  Not necissarily the best looking.. someone they feel they connected with or connected to the product/image they want to portray in their corporate image.

Jun 05 06 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Daniel Norton

New York, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

It's at this point I would leave the room. I have not interest in a client who cannot see from my book what makes me unique.

Jun 05 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Alex C wrote:
Doug, I've never played that game before..

ok..when you come to tampa..we can play trivial pursuit..( i have never lost)..or we can shoot some....

Jun 05 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

No there are not hundreds of models in the same room as me. I was early because I had to meet with the studio manager before hand to go over a few things on other projects I'm working on.

*snickers*

You don't think I'm giving out all my secrets do you?

Crap wrong profile
Iona Lynn

Jun 05 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

EDIT: I was about to explain a little bit about how a particular photographer's vision, properly utilized by the right client can generate $$$ but... naw, I'd have to explain too many things that really should be fairly obvious.

Jun 05 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

general sales rule of thumb - if you cant make your pitch in 15 seconds, you've already lost your sale.

Jun 05 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

That's a very good question. I would not know what to say. I better start thinking of a response. Just in case. smile

Jun 05 06 08:50 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

Jayne Jones wrote:

That seems like something the client would have to answer when looking for a photographer. Either the photographer's work proves that he/she is the right one for the job or it doesn't. I don't think it's a lot deeper than that.

Jun 05 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

IllusionDigital

San Francisco, California, US

you are mental, the real answer is connections.  who you know and who knows you.  very few people make it 'on their own.'  It's a friend of a friend, or a guy/girl whom a friend worked with before.

Jun 05 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

David Moyle wrote:

Uh, ya it is.

exactly.

Jun 05 06 08:55 pm Link