Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Because this guy will visit you if you don't pay ...

https://www.darrelllarose.ca/albums/Portraits/Dark_001.jpg

Jun 05 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Had a very interesting conversation with a business man this evening.  He posed a question that I honestly have to say I've never thought about. . .and it's extremely valid IMO.  I'm going to put it out there and see what responses come back.

To be honest, this question that was posed by your business man friend that you found so compelling seems pretty mundane and simply a matter of common sense. The models I send out are on fire in those situations like that, they've been well coached and always extend their hand, make eye contact, smile and are authentic. We say; "Be on time, be on purpose"...

I find it interesting that a topic with such simplcity and common knowledge you tend view as one of the great secrets of the universe.

Maybe that's why our track record of snagging bookings is so high, our competitors are so ill prepared that we just walk over the top of them, we make sure their books are strong, their sites are updated, that our sites are updated, we are constantly seeking new fresh faces and keeping the things fresh and exciting. It takes all the pistons to be firing , when a model walks into that room, she better be on volume 10.

Nick

Jun 05 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Darrell

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Better than a Romulan . . .

Jun 05 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

Trobee Photography

Memphis, Tennessee, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Photographers:
You're talented, you have a keen eye and you want to be paid.  Why should a model/agency/anyone be the first to pay Y O U?

I always have in the back of my mind when shooting a model..."What do they want?...why are they here?" The better I can assist them in attaining teir goals and wants the better I'll be. Basically...help people get what they want and you in turn will get what you want (10 fold). I also believe in under promising and over delivering. I try to exceed expectations. I ask alot of questions and listen alot to get "on the same page" as the model. I have empathy )not sympathy) with models. I try to mirror the models thoughts so I have a shot at getting them what they want.

I am a product. I try to package and market it (me) the best I can. My product goes far beyound "clicking the shutter",,,that is only a small part. I try to make my product better by paying attention to the little things. I pay (in most cases) for the MUA. I make sure the MUA is a licensed costmetologist. I check to make sure the bottled water I supply is cold. I upload the models car when they arrive. My assitant steams their clothes if asked. I assign the model an assistant I pay for. You get the idea...anyone can be a "photographer". But what does their "product" include? I try and take the high road while always remembering to surround myself with the other photographers that have 10 times more skill than me.

AND...have a blast while doing it!!!

Jun 05 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

People hire me initially because they like my photography, prices and availability.  They hire me back because 1) I get the job done on time, 2) within budget, 3) and I don't complain when a job gets difficult.  Those last three qualities put me way ahead of most of my competition.

Jun 05 06 09:27 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

While this is a standard inmterview question, I've never had anyone ask me this about a modeling job. Hopefully, they never will, because I doubt I'll have an answer.

Jun 05 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Why NOT me?

Jun 05 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I honestly think that nobody sees things the way I do.  My vision may not be to your liking, but I doubt you'll find a similar one anywhere.

Actually, I apply the same logic to models who want to be paid:  What do you have to offer that I can't find elsewhere TFP?  Needless to say, there are only a handfull of models I would consider paying to shoot with.

Jun 05 06 11:41 pm Link

Photographer

NewBoldPhoto

PORT MURRAY, New Jersey, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Had a very interesting conversation with a business man this evening.

Photographers:
You're talented, you have a keen eye and you want to be paid.  Why should a model/agency/anyone be the first to pay Y O U?

What makes you think that I would work for said model/agency/anyone?

The problem with businessmen is they think that money is the real motivation behind everything.

Jun 05 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

The problem with businessmen is they think that money is the real motivation behind everything.

100 points.

The problem with what we do is that everyone sees the price of everything and the value of nothing.  It's like weighing books instead of reading them.

Jun 05 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

NewBoldPhoto wrote:

True enough.  Its sex.

Jun 05 06 11:49 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I honestly think that nobody sees things the way I do.  My vision may not be to your liking, but I doubt you'll find a similar one anywhere.

Actually, I apply the same logic to models who want to be paid:  What do you have to offer that I can't find elsewhere TFP?  Needless to say, there are only a handfull of models I would consider paying to shoot with.

The question is, if you wouldn't pay "a model", is she really a model? Seems the title is easily attached to anyone who chooses it, yet so few actually do the things that models do, (get paid to model).

Jun 05 06 11:52 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Because, stupid.. I AM THE SHIT!

(And if they don't believe me... I'll poop on their desk..)

I'm not very good at job interviews..

Jun 05 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

I am a commercial photographer.  I am after the money.  And not the little stuff.  The big stuff.  It is this money that allows me to create my art without excuse.

The answer to this question, no matter who you are is Presentation. Confidence. Connections will get you a go see, but not guarentee you the job.

Your portfolio, your attire, your language, your stature, your entire 'package' must reek of competance, and instill confidence in the client.

There may be 12 similar models or photographers that make it to the final call, but the one with the best and most professional presentation will usually get the job.

So what's the hardest job to get?  The second one...

Jun 05 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Nick Ryder wrote:
The question is, if you wouldn't pay "a model", is she really a model? Seems the title is easily attached to anyone who chooses it, yet so few actually do the things that models do, (get paid to model).

I think I addressed this concept in my reply to NewBoldPhoto.  Money does not make you what you are, unless all you care about is money.

But if you must -- I don't photograph "models" per se; I photograph people, some of whom happen to be models.  If you require them to be paid in order to fit the designation "model" you're certainly welcome to your view of things.

*I often wonder how many of the people here who talk about nothing but money nod their heads in agreement when professional athletes are referred to as "overpaid" or "spoiled" -- double standard, anyone?*

Jun 06 06 12:03 am Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Daguerre wrote:
It is this money that allows me to create my art without excuse.

I work my day job for the same reason.  Is it the ends or the means?

Jun 06 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
Had a very interesting conversation with a business man this evening.  He posed a question that I honestly have to say I've never thought about. . .and it's extremely valid IMO.  I'm going to put it out there and see what responses come back. 

One rule to keep in mind. . .this is not a contest, but a legitimate question that anyone that has something you need (i.e. money, time, expertise, etc.) would ask before either hiring you or not hiring you.  That's the mindset you should have in mind.

Models:
You're beautiful, edgy, have a comp card and you're ready for your first tear sheet.  So are the hundreds of other models in the room with you.  So. . .why should they hire Y O U and be the first to pay you?

Photographers:

Because as far as they know I am very sucessful and used to being paid,

Star

Jun 06 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
I work my day job for the same reason.  Is it the ends or the means?

It is both.

Jun 06 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Kelly Abbass

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada

It's simple...

You choose me because you want me...

Doesn't everyone?

Jun 06 06 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Daguerre

Orange, California, US

Kelly Abbass wrote:
It's simple:  You choose me because you want me...

Doesn't everyone?

I do!

Jun 06 06 12:19 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

you choose me because you are tired of traditional wink
and my rates are affordable tongue

Jun 06 06 12:19 am Link

Model

Dyanamaria

Costa Mesa, California, US

easy... cause I have fancy pants.

Jun 06 06 12:20 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Because, stupid.. I AM THE SHIT!

(And if they don't believe me... I'll poop on their desk..)

I'm not very good at job interviews..

Ya think?

Jun 06 06 12:22 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

theda wrote:

Ya think?

I've only had 3 jobs in the past 20 years..  I'm not good at interviews.. I'm good at jobs..

Jun 06 06 12:25 am Link

Model

ElizabethTullCurtsinger

Wichita, Kansas, US

It's all about attitude - and that means the right one, not just going into it thinking you're god's gift to photographers.

I've got a positive attitude, I show up on time or early, and I'm professional. Too short for some photographers, but not for everyone!

Jun 06 06 12:25 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

~~ Style ~~:

Jun 06 06 04:15 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

your style or their style? . give them what they want on time!

Jun 06 06 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
your style or their style? . give them what they want on time!

As the OP's question was poised - mine. smile

Jun 06 06 04:30 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Because  you have a style they can recognize and because you can create a style they need.

Jun 06 06 04:46 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Bingo!  And we can take that to the bank!

Jun 06 06 04:50 am Link

Model

Wretched Fate

Fostoria, Ohio, US

Standard answer to ANY job interviewer who askes this question:

I have the ability and drive to to get the job done. I will devote 100% of my time and energy to you and this project. It will be my top priority and nothing will stand in my way or distract me from pushing myself to do the best work I have ever done. I will not give up untill you are completely satisfied. No one will work harder for you than I will.

Jun 06 06 06:52 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Im versatile as hell and I do my research...

I consider those to be 2 of my best "model" features

Jun 06 06 06:54 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Why me? Why you????? got some nerve....lol

Jun 10 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

Alex C wrote:
LMAO.. Thank you! I knew that was always the right answer to those types of questions. I have been trying to go to Florida for a while actually..

Well Iowa is much closer wink

Jun 10 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Ken Rieves Photography wrote:
I think there are many answers to you question. First of all (as a photographer), I feel I can create unique, high quality images. I am consistent and easy to work with. I have been involved in the business world long enought to understand an AD or business owners goals and visions. I am open to collaboration and love a diverse creative environment. I think work should be fun, but also take my clients needs very seriously.

So am I hired? smile

BUT!....can you bring it in under budget???.....

I've been involved in creating ads for clients for the past eight years......about 75/25%...graphic design/photography.....and can tell you it's NOT about creativity, uniquess, goals, visions, blah, blah, blah.....

It's about MONEY!....you want it....they want to pay as little as possible and get it all......todays advertising dollar it stretched to the max.....thanks to a shit economy....digital shooters....some of which are the clients themselves....and in a lot of cases.....

.....to us, the photographers, at least the ones whore themselves out for pennies and not maintain some kind of limits.......can't tell you how many times I've been edged out by what I call "monkey shooters" because they will undercut me.....there are limits to what I jobs I will do and for how much.....but the monkey shooter.....he'll go in and work for pennies.....of course the client loves it....experience, vision, talent all be damned....

And if you want the definition of a monkey shooter.....give a monkey a camera and it will shoot, shoot, shoot....all day long...but one or two of those will be a good photos by sheer luck and numbers.....that's the MONKEY SHOOTER!

Jun 10 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

About the only time I ask that question in business is when someone is trying to sell me something or get me to work with them in some way but wants something in return that is unreasonable. If I ask it, my mindset is "what would make you think that what you have, which really isn't all that special, is worth so much to me?"

P.S.: Theda is right - it is a very common interview question. I used to ask it when I was a young manager. I don't any more because I never found it to be very useful. By the time I get to the end of an interview (which is when it is ususally asked) I pretty much know what I need to know. I may, however, ask "what else should I know about you?" because I get much better answers.

Jun 10 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Frisson

Because I photograph women, not models.

I think that shows in my work and for the market I intend to break into it's essential to know the difference.

Terry

Jun 10 06 10:19 am Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
ok..when you come to tampa..we can play trivial pursuit..( i have never lost)..or we can shoot some....

That's only because you've never played against me before.

Jun 10 06 10:22 am Link

Model

Cristina Ashley

Buffalo, Illinois, US

If I walk in somewhere I either have a good shot or no shot at all.
If I have what they are looking for then I have a good chance at getting a job....
that isn't up to me to decide though- either I have what they want or I don't.

If they do like the way I look from he start, then the way I can then get myself ahead of other people who also might have 'the look' they want is with my personality, my references, and my pressence at the go-see.

Jun 10 06 10:23 am Link