Forums > General Industry > Chill Out Negative Nancies

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Fellow MMers...I know this place is frustrating...GWCs and GWPs are constantly (unjustly) verbally fellating each other, newbies are always posting in the critique forum when they have nothing but webcam/camera phone pics, photographers are always whining about models flaking, and models are always whining about photographers never giving them their pictures. It sucks...I know...I'm one of the ornariest people that ever lived, but I see so many people on here leaving nasty comments in the the threads or on people's portfolios. I'm sure I've been guilty of it, but I'm trying really hard to be a positive influence here. Being mean doesn't help anyone...it just makes you look...well...mean. The best thing we can do is praise those who are doing well, and give those who aren't doing so well advice on how to improve.

https://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SHlyO4PwLQ-XvM:http://students.seattleu.edu/smithn127/music%2520note.gifAll I'm saying...is give peace a chance.https://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SHlyO4PwLQ-XvM:http://students.seattleu.edu/smithn127/music%2520note.gif

Jun 04 06 11:37 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

hey did you just take the words outta my mouth?! lol

Jun 04 06 11:38 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Nikki S. wrote:
hey did you just take the words outta my mouth?! lol

Yes...sorry...I'm psychic and sometimes I steal thoughts from other people's brains and post them as my own...I have a problem...I'm so ashamed sad

Jun 04 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
https://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SHlyO4PwLQ-XvM:http://students.seattleu.edu/smithn127/music%2520note.gifAll I'm saying...is give peace a chance.https://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:SHlyO4PwLQ-XvM:http://students.seattleu.edu/smithn127/music%2520note.gif

*scene from the movie 'Young Frankenstein':

Gene Wilder's frustrated character shouts "I need a little peace!" then gives assistant Terry Garr a look.  Cut to next scene..........

Jun 04 06 11:42 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Yes...sorry...I'm psychic and sometimes I steal thoughts from other people's brains and post them as my own...I have a problem...I'm so ashamed sad

RaWr! its ok, since we're being positive, I will forgive you :-P

Jun 04 06 11:42 am Link

Photographer

Twisted Light

Miami, Florida, US

Its one thing to offer some constructive critisism to someone looking for advice, but ya the bashing makes me feel like I'm back in 6th grade.

Jun 04 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

For someone who is so uber skinny you are very smart....................

Ya know I love ya winkwinkwinkwink

Jun 04 06 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
The best thing we can do is praise those who are doing well, and give those who aren't doing so well advice on how to improve.

I guess it depends, I am in the modeling industry as a professional ( it's what I do to make a living ). The real industry isn't always nice (especially to new faces). However, if a new model gets knocked around a bit, it actually conditions her for the real world of modeling, it toughens them up, get's them acclimated, prepared for what's to come.

I haven't seen anyone really attack anyone by calling them a fat slut or ugly pig, of course that is inappropriate and just cruel for no purpose. However, if somebody says, "Your pics are not of industry standards, you need a stronger book, do some mirror work" , that is deemed as being a meanie in actuality, it does more for the model in the long run, than a gwc praising and worshipping a girl that really needs development.

I see models on here that if they'd just take the coaching (sit down and shut up), I know I could get them signed to a major or get them in a magazine, but, most tend seek shelter and be coddled, any realism falls on deaf ears.

Jun 04 06 11:56 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Nick Ryder wrote:
I guess it depends, I am in the modeling industry as a professional ( it's what I do to make a living ). The real industry isn't always nice (especially to new faces). However, if a new model gets knocked around a bit, it actually conditions her for the real world of modeling, it toughens them up, get's them acclimated, prepared for what's to come.

I haven't seen anyone really attack anyone by calling them a fat slut or ugly pig, of course that is inappropriate and just cruel for no purpose. However, if somebody says, "Your pics are not of industry standards, you need a stronger book, do some mirror work" , that is deemed as being a meanie in actuality, it does more for the model in the long run, than a gwc praising and worshipping a girl that really needs development.

I see models on here that if they'd just take the coaching (sit down and shut up), I know I could get them signed to a major or get them in a magazine, but, most tend seek shelter and be coddled, any realism falls on deaf ears.

Oh I know...I totally agree too. But I wouldn't consider saying "You need a stronger book" mean at all. I do see a lot of things I would consider mean though. Someone recently left the comment "Gotta love the MM circle jerks" in a thread. Things like that are just totally unnecessary if you ask me. There's a fine line between being cruel and being constructive...I've never seen you say anything that crossed that line...and it's ok to from time to time (we're only human after all), but some people cross that line on a pretty frequent basis.

Jun 04 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

Audra Isadora

New York, New York, US

LA LA LALA
I LOVE PEACE AND LOVE!!!

Jun 04 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I usually say it, "Give pie a chance.."

But yeah..

And don't let out about Kaitlin's size..

Once it gets out that there are models that fit in camera bags... Every photographer's gonna want one.. or two..

Jun 04 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

WG Rowland wrote:
I usually say it, "Give pie a chance.."

But yeah..

And don't let out about Kaitlin's size..

Once it gets out that there are models that fit in camera bags... Every photographer's gonna want one.. or two..

Lol...you know...I actually did allow someone to put me in a duffel bag once...I do fit...how rediculous is that? I can fit in dryers too...lol

Jun 04 06 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Lol...you know...I actually did allow someone to put me in a duffel bag once...I do fit...how rediculous is that? I can fit in dryers too...lol

KL.. The Hershey's Kiss of modeling!

(And if that sounded mean, realize... I wanna work with you soo bad!)

Jun 04 06 12:30 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

WG Rowland wrote:

KL.. The Hershey's Kiss of modeling!

(And if that sounded mean, realize... I wanna work with you soo bad!)

Why Hershey's Kiss?

Jun 04 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

I recently got attacked by a photographer, it was basically an all out assault.

A few days later, I see the same guy, using the same exact tactics to attack another member, it became obvious that he was trying to get a rise from those that he chose to pounce upon.

When i speak to a new face in person and clearly there's no possibility that this girl is going to be a model, i say something like; "Hey, you know what?  I don't think this isn't going to be your deal, have you considered some other career that interests you? or that you may be better suited for?"

They "get it", it's right there, BOOM! If they value my opinion, they later sometimes thank me for not allowing them to spin their wheels on something that isn't going to work for them.

The part that irritates me is if I say; "You may want to consider some other avenue besides modeling"...the the gwc crowd starts up with; "Oh girl, follow your dream, don't let anyone break your stride, as long as it makes you "feel" good, just do it, kum-by-yah, kum-by-yah"...

Jun 04 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

CurvyPixels Photography

Saratoga, California, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Do you use dryer sheets?  What settings?  Are you considered a light load?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Jun 04 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

CurvyPixels Photography wrote:

Do you use dryer sheets?  What settings?  Are you considered a light load?  Inquiring minds want to know...

Lol...of course I use dryer sheets! With hair like mine if I didn't I'd come out looking like the long lost anorexic cousin of the Trolls!

Jun 04 06 12:37 pm Link

Photographer

CurvyPixels Photography

Saratoga, California, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Lol...of course I use dryer sheets! With hair like mine if I didn't I'd come out looking like the long lost anorexic cousin of the Trolls!

I need that look for an upcoming shoot ... gotta write this down ... do you think it will require a special waiver?

Jun 04 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Why Hershey's Kiss?

Because big things come in little packages..

Jun 04 06 12:43 pm Link

Model

Arthur's Town, Cat Island, Bahamas

Yup..it seems people have bad days and take it out on whoever gets in their way. Or, I really think some people just enjoy arguing.

Jun 04 06 12:45 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

WG Rowland wrote:

Because big things come in little packages..

I'm not THAT little...I'm still 5'7"...remember? tongue

Jun 04 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Chill Out Negative Nancies

What? Did you go to church today or something? Just kidding! I agree with you completely, Kaitlin.

It's funny how rude some people can be when hiding under the 'invisibility cloak' of the internet - saying things they'd never say in person. Kind of like road rage.

That said, I do take guilty pleasure watching the occasional catfight. wink

Jun 04 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philip of Dallas wrote:
That said, I do take guilty pleasure watching the occasional catfight. wink

Hey...if both chicks are hot my only suggestion is that we take it off the internet and into a tub of jello.

Jun 04 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Isis

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I just loved the thread title   smile  But I do agree... be nice and honest.  That should be the credo.

Jun 04 06 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

I'm not THAT little...I'm still 5'7"...remember? tongue

Crap.. That means around you I can't claim to be 5'6" anymore..

You're an inch (or three) taller.. And probably (haven't weighed in in a while) less than half my girth..

That's daunting..  Cool, but daunting..

Jun 04 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Fellow MMers...I know this place is frustrating...GWCs and GWPs are constantly (unjustly) verbally fellating each other, newbies are always posting in the critique forum when they have nothing but webcam/camera phone pics, photographers are always whining about models flaking, and models are always whining about photographers never giving them their pictures. It sucks...I know...I'm one of the ornariest people that ever lived, but I see so many people on here leaving nasty comments in the the threads or on people's portfolios. I'm sure I've been guilty of it, but I'm trying really hard to be a positive influence here. Being mean doesn't help anyone...it just makes you look...well...mean. The best thing we can do is praise those who are doing well, and give those who aren't doing so well advice on how to improve.

Yes you are very outspoken sometimes.  I learned a few new words in another one of your posts!!

Jun 04 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it was going to be about how much better digital is than film...

Jun 04 06 02:58 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

Yes you are very outspoken sometimes.  I learned a few new words in another one of your posts!!

Lol...well there's a difference between outspoken and mean...I may be kind of disgusting...but I'm pretty nice about it tongue

Jun 04 06 08:25 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Hey Kaitlin... lookee here, missy...

You said something about a "pretty fabulous ass for a skinny gal," but dayumed if you won't turn around for the camera!!!!

TURN AROUND, AND SHOW THE WORLD, KAITLIN... SHOW THE WORLD!!!! smile

No more caffeine for me tonight. LOL

Jun 04 06 09:01 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

VRG Photography wrote:
Hey Kaitlin... lookee here, missy...

You said something about a "pretty fabulous ass for a skinny gal," but dayumed if you won't turn around for the camera!!!!

TURN AROUND, AND SHOW THE WORLD, KAITLIN... SHOW THE WORLD!!!! smile

No more caffeine for me tonight. LOL

Lol...are you kidding? My portfolio already has 2 gratuitous ass shots! But...since you asked so nicely smile...

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/nnyrocksmysocks/Modeling/snapshot.jpg

*edit* Yes...that is what I do at photo shoots...I apply my makeup bent over a table in a long tee shirt and Hello Kitty undies...anyone want to shoot? lol

Jun 04 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

See, the first one... well, you had it covered by your "wrists," and the second one was well... contorted. I would've had to put on a different lens.

But this one... I like this one. LOL

Thanks for obliguing me. smile

Now I can sleep well tonight. smile

Jun 04 06 09:11 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

VRG Photography wrote:
See, the first one... well, you had it covered by your "wrists," and the second one was well... contorted. I would've had to put on a different lens.

But this one... I like this one. LOL

Thanks for obliguing me. smile

Now I can sleep well tonight. smile

See how nice I am? tongue

Jun 04 06 09:12 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

See how nice I am? tongue

Whoever called you a meanie was wrong... either that, or you put your horns away for today. I'm thinking the former, rather than the latter.

Jun 04 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Lol...are you kidding? My portfolio already has 2 gratuitous ass shots! But...since you asked so nicely smile...

https://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j18/nnyrocksmysocks/Modeling/snapshot.jpg

*edit* Yes...that is what I do at photo shoots...I apply my makeup bent over a table in a long tee shirt and Hello Kitty undies...anyone want to shoot? lol

I like this shot too!!

Jun 05 06 09:48 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Jerry Nemeth wrote:

I like this shot too!!

You can thank Daniel Norton (https://www.modelmayhem.com/member.php?id=61999) for it smile

Jun 05 06 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Yes...that is what I do at photo shoots...I apply my makeup bent over a table in a long tee shirt and Hello Kitty undies...anyone want to shoot? lol

[eagerly raises hand in the air]
Me!!!!!

Jun 05 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

LETITIA WINN

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are many people on this site that uses the forums in the wrong way. I was recently P.O.'ed off by a group of people who was suppose to critique my avi in this one post, sorta like a game. Instead about 5 people attacked me outta nowhere and it was insane! At the end of the day I look at my credits compared to theirs and I have to say it is some very unprofessional people in here!

Jun 05 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

LETITIA WINN

Chicago, Illinois, US

There are many people on this site that uses the forums in the wrong way. I was recently P.O.'ed off by a group of people who was suppose to critique my avi in this one post, sorta like a game. Instead about 5 people attacked me outta nowhere and it was insane! At the end of the day I look at my credits compared to theirs and I have to say it is some very unprofessional people in here!

Jun 05 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

LETITIA WINN wrote:

Well...what did they say that you viewed as an attack?

Jun 05 06 03:35 pm Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

*I originally posted this in its own thread a couple of days ago and it has gone without response. After reading a few entries in this thread today I think the same attitude applies and I've decided to copy it here.*

I've been on this site now about a month. It has become very addictive and I find myself increasingly learning about and using more and more features. Particularly the forums.
Thus far the overall experience has been very rewarding. The time spent viewing other peoples profiles very inspiring. Hearing of other peoples struggles in a difficult hobby/career/etc... is painful and at the same time relieving to know I am not the only one.
I have so much passion and ambition for photography that it sometimes becomes an obsticle. I am constantly struggling with the feelings that I can do better. That my ambitions exceed my abilities. Every day I wake up and feel that if I don't take photos today then the day will be wasted.
Becoming a member of this network has helped to alleviate some of that pressure. It has allowed me to find others with similar interests, beautiful photography and like problems. Get feedback. Network. Even if it is in binary.

However you come across my portfolio I would hope that you spend more than a glancing moment at it. I hope you leave comments, I hope you enjoy what I am doing. I hope you add me as a friend out of respect and admiration.
I also equally hope that you will look at the friends I have gained. Every one of them has outstanding work and deserves to be acknowledged as well.
If anyone out there can benefit from anything I have to offer, advice, photos, comments please ask. I have spent years experiencing how difficult this industry can be and it is painful to see others experiencing it as well.
This site is about networking. Communicating with other people with a diverse yet mutual interest in front of as well as behind the camera.
Shane

Jun 05 06 05:06 pm Link