Forums > General Industry > Photographs = poor web designers?

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Funny, actually the same image was stolen last winter and sold on www.templatemonster.com
Thanks for the compliment.... smile

Jun 02 06 05:30 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

San Diego, California, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
whoah whoah... hold on LOL

i edited my original reply to include a screen capture of eric's website so everyone could see that it was eric's image.  if i'm not mistaken, eric shot this at least a year ago, maybe two.

if you go to http://michaelromeostudio.com you will see that this guy actually photoshopped out eric's copyright notice.

so cut flesh&color a break LOL  you guys came in a bit late smile

thank you

Jun 02 06 05:31 pm Link

Model

daxito

Miami Beach, Florida, US

flesh and color wrote:
like i said - i never saw the image on the guys site, just what was posted here.
Im not saying the image wasnt stolen.

I was defending my use of the word interesting instead of going off and calling him all sorts of names.

Because all that was posted here was an image with a copyright on it that doesnt proove anything.

it has now been edited to be a screenshot of the website of the owner now.

When you wrote that comment there was the post by Sean about the guy taking eric's pic.. Now.. how do you freaking prove anything online.. technically you can't.. BUT.. i know eric and i know sean and i know sean knows eric so sean would not say that this guy stole erics pic just cuz he didnt know what else to type on a friday!! To me the fact that sean wrote it.. is enough proof!

Jun 02 06 05:34 pm Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

As is the norm for MM; "People talking without the images to back up the talk".

Photographers have become too focused (yes, I did use that pun) on tech and they forget about content.

You all should have a look at www.artkane.com or at my professional internet site at: http://chucknacke.com  No flash, No gimmics...  Just really simple and loads quick.  Yes, it is also real photography.  The Zine has been written about in the U.S. and EU

Jun 02 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I agree its good to get facts straight before making accusations.... this one was pretty obvious though smile

Once in Miami, I was standing with Dax, and some promoter girl handed Dax a promo card for Mynt, an obnoxious club in South Beach, and he looks at me and was like, "Isn't this your photo?"

It sure was. Stolen off the web and used to promote the club.

Jun 02 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

daxinho wrote:

When you wrote that comment there was the post by Sean about the guy taking eric's pic.. Now.. how do you freaking prove anything online.. technically you can't.. BUT.. i know eric and i know sean and i know sean knows eric so sean would not say that this guy stole erics pic just cuz he didnt know what else to type on a friday!! To me the fact that sean wrote it.. is enough proof!

DAX you're killing me man LOL which reminds me... we all gotta get together sometime, along with andres, christian, chung, chad, chip and maybe roberto if he can fly over smile

Jun 02 06 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

Fade To Black

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I can't afford to pay some guy to flash up a site for me, and I forgot most HTML, and I have little free time, so most of my site is in editable picture files

www.ftbphotography.com

I think it serves it's purpose, I've gotten a ton of comments on it. Of course it could be better I think, but I like knowing it's unique.

Jun 02 06 05:48 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

my site is very ghetto - www.christopherbush.com.  i wouldn't mind paying someone to do it right.  if anyone here has any *pro* recommendations, i'm all ears...

Jun 02 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

byReno wrote:

Ditto here.  I like it simple but maybe would like to add some simple flash.  Sill under construction.  I think it is loading too slow.  Comments welcome.

Sorry I forgot the link. 

http://home.comcast.net/~byreno/

Jun 02 06 05:55 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Eric S. wrote:
I agree its good to get facts straight before making accusations.... this one was pretty obvious though smile

Once in Miami, I was standing with Dax, and some promoter girl handed Dax a promo card for Mynt, an obnoxious club in South Beach, and he looks at me and was like, "Isn't this your photo?"

It sure was. Stolen off the web and used to promote the club.

Whoa...that's one of the wierdest coincidences I've ever heard. I can't even imagine how much that would freaked me out (and pissed me off) lol

Jun 02 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Sam-H

Paris, Arkansas, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
we all gotta get together sometime, along with andres, christian, chung, chad, chip and maybe roberto if he can fly over smile

That's a list of some great photographers. smile

But on the stealing note, it's a great thing that the fashion industry is still land-based, where physical portfolios do most of the talking. But as the internet world goes, eventually you will have to step up and produce the same quality of images that you're showing on your web page, whether you're working for a client, testing with an agency or simply doing TFCD with an MM model. Those that are doing the hiring are not stupid. It's the consistency of your work, the signature.

Jun 02 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
my site is very ghetto - www.christopherbush.com.  i wouldn't mind paying someone to do it right.  if anyone here has any *pro* recommendations, i'm all ears...

No, way.  Yours is one of the best ones.  You have photos, no music, no pop-ups, and the NEXT button doesn't move around.  That's all I want out of a photographer's website.

Jun 02 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Christopher Bush wrote:

you know what, chris -- i've always liked your site.  cause it's not about the site, but it's about the work.  clean, minimalist, no nonsense.  images are big.  doesn't take 3 hours to figure out how it works.

now you just need to add more work on there wink

Jun 02 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Christopher Bush wrote:

I told you before, you have one of the best sites there is...there's no need to go mucking up what is an already perfect site...other than changing photos around or adding more.

Jun 02 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Legacys 7 wrote:

Whoa,

hold up, instead reading way too deep into my posting, perhaps you should ask if I'm taking any defense. But I'll answer that question for you, I didn't take any defense at all. Sometimes I think that some of you need to step back from the computer for a week or two. But now back on the subject, I went in made the changes by adding a preloader to the longer pages. Big difference.

Way, way better.....

Jun 02 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

Eric Striffler is the guy who actually took the picture...the guy who stole the picture was retarded enough to leave the name of the photographer right there on the picture.

No, his website shows the picture w/o Eric's name.

Jun 02 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Mine is super simple and not fleshed out yet.
http://experimentalcraftworks.com/Photoworks.html

I plan on having each link to a different portfolio page with 9 images each.

flowers, boudoir, portraits, product, and so on .....
any opinoions?

Jun 02 06 06:11 pm Link

Photographer

Sam-H

Paris, Arkansas, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
flowers, boudoir, portraits, product, and so on .....
any opinoions?

That would work. I'm finally building a site of my own. I'm planning on making it pretty simple. And quick to browse.

Jun 02 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

CLONE

Salisbury, Maryland, US

You no you can stop By A website I made It Free and it for photogs And models and you can make your own pages blogs sell get job have a fan club . and it free . check it out I made it for us hope you love it not trying to get hit just love being a photog by the way you can upload over 200 photos to your page on there .it call foxyfans.com thanks clone

Jun 02 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Shadows and Shapes

Rome, Georgia, US

ChrisHughes wrote:
Im an amateur photographer (hobbiest), I often find myself looking at other photographers websites both amateur and pro and seldom find a decent looking website.

How can a photographer with a great eye for photos be so poor in designing a site to showcase their great work?

I wont state any examples, but does anyone notice this trend?

I built my site and others happen to think its very well do and differnt..
www.shadows-shapes.com
Woody

Jun 02 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Thanks clone but we are talking about hosting our own domains and building our own websites.
Not being associated with another domain.

Jun 02 06 06:22 pm Link

Photographer

CLONE

Salisbury, Maryland, US

im very sorry been a webmaster 7 years have over 37 websites up and would be glade to help. foxy-ladys.com  I have flash site but there slow loading people shy away form MX flash this is the server I use .I have gone thu many this server been the best for me http://www.hostgator.com/shared.shtml and here my other server I use http://www.bluehost.com/ most host have premade website and portals that the way many have done it great for newbees thanks clone

Jun 02 06 06:36 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

No, way.  Yours is one of the best ones.  You have photos, no music, no pop-ups, and the NEXT button doesn't move around.  That's all I want out of a photographer's website.

and here i was going to add some house music and a string of blinking lights that follows the cursor around....

thanks.

Jun 02 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

you know what, chris -- i've always liked your site.  cause it's not about the site, but it's about the work.  clean, minimalist, no nonsense.  images are big.  doesn't take 3 hours to figure out how it works.

now you just need to add more work on there wink

thanks bro!  i'm a horrible self-editor.  every time i think i have one good shot, i have to delete three others.  raising the bar and all that crap.

Jun 02 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:

I told you before, you have one of the best sites there is...there's no need to go mucking up what is an already perfect site...other than changing photos around or adding more.

thank you sir.

Jun 02 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

James Jackson wrote:

Legacys 7 wrote:
Like I said, it's a first for me that I got this feedback like this.

It's always good to have feedback.  Perhaps a load movie with low rez previews of the great work they'll see inside would be helpful?

Strange...I tested in Firefox as well.  Were there any other sites open at the time?  Did it give you any error?  Are you tabbed browsing or windowed browsing?  Did it crash when you went to the home page or when you clicked to enter the site or on one of the gallery pages or on the contact or bio page?

Are there any other Firefox users who crash when going to http://www.raveneyes.com and using the site?

I am using firefox and no problem here..

I too do some webdesign as well as video editing and graphic design.

My photography portfolio is but one part of my website.

www.trueimageconcepts.com

There is some flash on the main page which anyone can skip right past.

The photos are navigated quite easily as well as the rest of the site.

the layout is actually modeled after the Playstation game Gran tourismo, the part of the game where you change te car settings. I really liked it and used some concepts.

Navigation and ease of use are always a concern. I dont design fr dial up users as most of my clients are corporate and they rarely are dial up.

for the clients I have designed for, they request I dont build in flash, though that trend is changing as computers get faster and broadband is expanding.

For strictly photgraphy you can get away with the basics, however I suggest not going that rout because the competition is getting fierce. Hire a pro and spend a few bucks, many people have no idea how important their site is when it comes to promotion.

Invest in yourself, it really does pay of. those $40 flash templates look like $40 flash templates and really do nothing to showcase your work and more importantly, tey do not give you an identity.

However, if budget is a mjor concern, buy a template then hire someone to customize it for you. Many of these template companies will customize a template for you and a pretty good rate.

Ive seen a lot of the SAME sites online..That always looks bad..

IMEO

V

Thanks for the feedback!

Jun 02 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

ChrisHughes wrote:
Im an amateur photographer (hobbiest), I often find myself looking at other photographers websites both amateur and pro and seldom find a decent looking website.

How can a photographer with a great eye for photos be so poor in designing a site to showcase their great work?

I wont state any examples, but does anyone notice this trend?

Guilty as charged... I'm an AWFUL web designer!  I can't even keep my site properly up to date!  Thanks God for sites such as this on and omp, etc, where I can send people to view my work without having to see how bad and old my site looks!  : D

I can't speak for anyone else, but here's the thing, at least as it applies to me.  I have very little creative sense.  A lot of my friends tell me otherwise, since I seem to be able to take nice photos, but to me, I don't really see that skill as CREATivity... I think of it more as having interpretive talents.  This is why I am a photographer, and not a painter, illustrator, writer, etc.  This is also why virtualy everything I shoot is outdoors in the environment, and not in a bare studio (my avatar notwithstanding!).  A lot of times, models ask me ahead of time what sorts of shots I think we're going to get, and I tell them I have no idea... and in most cases it's the truth.  I don't see anything until I'm out there, with the model, see what the light looks like, and the setting, and the clothes, etc., and it's more like "Here, put this on and go lay down over there!"  lol  I see it while I'm doing it, not ahead of time.

So back to the web design thing.... I can look at someone's site, and tell whether it's good or bad, or what I would change, but if I try to design something from scratch, I'll stare at a blank screen forever.  When I was in school, this was one of the bigest problems I had.  I would have a paper due, and NO idea how to even start.  I can proofread the HECK out of someone else's paper... my former roommate was severaly dyslexic and could barely write or spell... and I helped him graduate college with honors!  He'd get the ideas down (sort of), and I'd try to make them make sense!  Wasn't easy...  lol

I think it comes down to knowing what your own strengths and weaknesses are, and having a 'Good Eye' for photography in no means guarantees success at designing websites, or composing symphonies, for that matter.  To me, it's different skill sets entirely.

-T-

Jun 02 06 08:03 pm Link

Model

Aein

James Jackson wrote:

Looks nice, I'd like to offer a word of advice, if you wouldn't like any, please don't read below:

I only learned this lesson a couple of years ago myself. Web browsers can only make up to 8 connections to your web server at a time so the more efficient way to do a site is to have larger images with image maps unless you need to do all the cutting for rollovers or the like.  It's also faster for a browser to render a more simplistic layout than all those tables you have to make up your navigation scheme.  To make it faster and load more seamlessly, consolidate the graphics and use image maps for your navigation.

Yeah, I know.. but there are some browsers that image maps are incapable of reading.

Jun 02 06 08:30 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

email my girlfriend Brenda at [email protected] and she'll contact you. Be sure to tell her I referred you in the subject heading.

her website is www.Mireku.com

and for the record 'you have a website', not a 'ghetto' website, gosh, sorry that word irks me and is totally overused

take care...

Nedjetti

Jun 02 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

DaG

Atlanta, Georgia, US

James Jackson wrote:

Legacys 7 wrote:
Like I said, it's a first for me that I got this feedback like this.

It's always good to have feedback.  Perhaps a load movie with low rez previews of the great work they'll see inside would be helpful?

Strange...I tested in Firefox as well.  Were there any other sites open at the time?  Did it give you any error?  Are you tabbed browsing or windowed browsing?  Did it crash when you went to the home page or when you clicked to enter the site or on one of the gallery pages or on the contact or bio page?

Are there any other Firefox users who crash when going to http://www.raveneyes.com and using the site?

Thanks for the feedback!

I'm using Firefox and had no problems!

Danny

Jun 02 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

DaG

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I agree. I got a slick template for my site and pulled my hair out for three days trying to get it to work. Then I see his and think "wow, how simple and to the point".

But don't worry, Christopher, I have no plans to steal it!

Danny

Jun 02 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Aein wrote:
Yeah, I know.. but there are some browsers that image maps are incapable of reading.

Incorrecto young lady...Image maps are backwards compatible all the way to lynx big_smile

Jun 02 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

DaG

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Ibarra Photo wrote:
http://www.ibarraphoto.com

I make my living doing web design...

Great use of the SlideShowPro application! Looks good!

Danny

Jun 02 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Ibarra Photo wrote:
http://www.ibarraphoto.com

I make my living doing web design...

Very nice!  This is the kind of site (flash) I would like
mine ( http://home.comcast.net/~byreno/ ) to be.

I really have to learn Flash.

Jun 02 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Aein wrote:
Hm, I'm a model so I guess I don't count... but I did design my own portfolio and I don't think it's crappy. tongue ( http://heartography.com/la )

Your site can not be viewed correctly at 800x600 res.

Jun 02 06 10:59 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

that's funny... i need to say that you should probably use your own images on your website, and not steal images from other photographers...

cause you sure as hell didn't shoot this:

https://seanarmenta.com/samples/striffler.jpg

LOL smile

Jun 02 06 11:05 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Michael Romeo wrote:
http://www.MichaelRomeoStudio.com          Dont Need to say more

Yeah. I think you need to say more. But too bad. You've been silenced. Asshole.

Jun 03 06 10:11 am Link