Forums > General Industry > Photographs = poor web designers?

Photographer

Jaime Ibarra

Austin, Texas, US

http://www.ibarraphoto.com

I make my living doing web design...

Jun 02 06 03:34 pm Link

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

ChrisHughes wrote:
Im an amateur photographer (hobbiest), I often find myself looking at other photographers websites both amateur and pro and seldom find a decent looking website.

How can a photographer with a great eye for photos be so poor in designing a site to showcase their great work?

I wont state any examples, but does anyone notice this trend?

I think it's safe to say that a photographer is not necessarily going to have the skills or knowledge to implement a good website. Web design/dev is my day job, and there's definitely a reason why I can keep myself fed in this profession... because there's a lot to know!

I think there are probably some photographers out there who can and have put together amazing sites, but those who can't? Need to put out a little cash and hire someone who can. It's so disappointing to see good photography being showcased in a crappy website.

Jun 02 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

Leftpinkytoe

Portland, Oregon, US

Ibarra Photo wrote:

Nice work! I'm not a big fan of Flash, but you've made pretty good use of it. smile

Jun 02 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Florence, South Carolina, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
Whoa,

hold up, instead reading way too deep into my posting, perhaps you should ask if I'm taking any defense. But I'll answer that question for you, I didn't take any defense at all. Sometimes I think that some of you need to step back from the computer for a week or two. But now back on the subject, I went in made the changes by adding a preloader to the longer pages. Big difference.

That was said with a smile... no need to be testy.  The changes did make a big difference, and certainly gives the viewer something to look at while it loads.  Much better, but when you click on Enter, you're still left with the residual download (for me was at about 45%).  This still leaves pretty close to a minute left for the rest of the site to download (in my case) after I "enter".  Granted, your work is great and the samples given in your pre-load may be enough to keep the viewers attention, but there is still a long wait time.

Are you loading ALL of your images in one shot?  I wasn't patient enough to see what was beyond the splash page, but I'm assuming that you are loading all of your images at full res before allowing navigation.  Is this correct?  If so, you may want to use thumbs and mini pre-loaders.  I certainly didn't mean to step on your toes and I hope you didn't take any offense to any of my comments.  I'm just trying to provide you with some constructive feedback....  You've got some great images, I think others should be able to see them without getting frustrated with download times.

:-)

Jun 02 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

https://davewright.org/0602/design/web/self.jpg

http://davewright.org

a lot of "designers" use flash to fancy up their websites, with the unfortunate result of making the site 10MB, or unable to be viewed by the great majority of people who don't have flash+broadband. welcome to the internet. bad design is not limited to photographer websites, by any stretch of the imagination - but a lot of photographers think they're also graphic designers.

Jun 02 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

no name

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

To Legacys 7 - I have to admit, I bailed too. Very nice images (the ones I saw). A preloader is great, but still not what will keep people when the page flash load gets too long. Also, for image or gallery sites, I'm more of a fan of keeping the images small enough (height) to fit on a 1024X768 screen res - the most popular on a PC - without the need to scroll in either direction. This would help download time. I'm also on a high-speed connection that habitually acts like dial-up. A lot of problems contribute to it, but that's what we have to deal with.

- Josh

Jun 02 06 03:53 pm Link

Model

no name

To Legacys 7 - I have to admit, I bailed too. Very nice images (the ones I saw). A preloader is great, but still not what will keep people when the page flash load gets too long. Also, for image or gallery sites, I'm more of a fan of keeping the images small enough (height) to fit on a 1024X768 screen res - the most popular on a PC - without the need to scroll in either direction. This would help download time. I'm also on a high-speed connection that habitually acts like dial-up. A lot of problems contribute to it, but that's what we have to deal with.

- Josh

Jun 02 06 03:53 pm Link

Model

no name

Sorry about the double post; with the overtly busy site this is, and my poor connection, it took about 60 seconds to transfer back to the forum from the "reply" form!

Jun 02 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Lee Dowse wrote:

That was said with a smile... no need to be testy.  The changes did make a big difference, and certainly gives the viewer something to look at while it loads.  Much better, but when you click on Enter, you're still left with the residual download (for me was at about 45%).  This still leaves pretty close to a minute left for the rest of the site to download (in my case) after I "enter".  Granted, your work is great and the samples given in your pre-load may be enough to keep the viewers attention, but there is still a long wait time.

Are you loading ALL of your images in one shot?  I wasn't patient enough to see what was beyond the splash page, but I'm assuming that you are loading all of your images at full res before allowing navigation.  Is this correct?  If so, you may want to use thumbs and mini pre-loaders.  I certainly didn't mean to step on your toes and I hope you didn't take any offense to any of my comments.  I'm just trying to provide you with some constructive feedback....  You've got some great images, I think others should be able to see them without getting frustrated with download times.

:-)

I wasn't testy at all. You got offended by over reading what you thought was there. I simply addressed that somethings happen often from browser to bandwith nothing else in between the lines. If people just take the time to read or just ask, it makes things easier in life. I like to ask question instead of jumping the gun, unless it is something is very obvious to me.

Now to answer your question. My images are very low res images. The only thing that I can do is make them smaller in size, meaning in height and width. But I'm going back to my original point, when I viewed the current changes, it cruised. So again, speed is going to vary person to person. Let's just do a experiment again and see what the others on here state first before go into further actions.

Jun 02 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

Michael Romeo wrote:
http://www.MichaelRomeoStudio.com          Dont Need to say more

that's funny... i need to say that you should probably use your own images on your website, and not steal images from other photographers...

cause you sure as hell didn't shoot this:

https://seanarmenta.com/samples/striffler.jpg

Jun 02 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

Legacys 7 wrote:
I wasn't testy at all. You got offended by over reading what you thought was there. I simply addressed that somethings happen often from browser to bandwith nothing else in between the lines. If people just take the time to read or just ask, it makes things easier in life. I like to ask question instead of jumping the gun, unless it is something is very obvious to me.

Now to answer your question. My images are very low res images. The only thing that I can do is make them smaller in size, meaning in height and width. But I'm going back to my original point, when I viewed the current changes, it cruised. So again, speed is going to vary person to person. Let's just do a experiment again and see what the others on here state first before go into further actions.

Nor was I offended.... Let's try this again....

Hi my name is Lee, really I'm a pretty nice easy-going guy.  From what I can tell you have a really nice website and some spectacular images.  My only complaint is the load time is a little on the slow side.  I realize the ramifications involved with designing a site since I am somewhat literate in html, php, flash, actionscript, and mysql.  Sometimes when someone suggests that you need to "speed up" your site, it's not as simple as re-writing a few lines of code, but if it's possible, you may want to consider streamlining your site a little more to make it load a little faster for the vast majority of users.  If you are trying to bring in new clients, it might make it easier for them to contact you.

Jun 02 06 04:09 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Josh H wrote:
Sorry about the double post; with the overtly busy site this is, and my poor connection, it took about 60 seconds to transfer back to the forum from the "reply" form!

No sweat. I took a preloader and added to the longer pages only.

Jun 02 06 04:14 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

San Diego, California, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

that's funny... i need to say that you should probably use your own images on your website, and not steal images from other photographers...

https://www.striffler.com/resort29.jpg

interesting....

Jun 02 06 04:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

no... not interesting.  fucking shameless.  to claim someone else's work as your own?!?  interesting is not the word.

https://seanarmenta.com/samples/romeo.jpg

Jun 02 06 04:19 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

and for the record I had no wait time on legacy's site. It had a preloader for about 2 seconds - thats it.

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

Sean Armenta wrote:

Good job Sean now how do we get rid of this image stealing creep????

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Thanks everyone for pointing this out.

Jun 02 06 04:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lee_D

flesh and color wrote:
and for the record I had no wait time on legacy's site. It had a preloader for about 2 seconds - thats it.

Yeah, he made some changes.... much smoother now!!!

Jun 02 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Lee Dowse wrote:

Yeah, he made some changes.... much smoother now!!!

Hi my name is Legacy, I am a alcho err uh photographer. I'll go back and do more modifyng to get the speed up more. I'm glad that you cats address this to me, it made me do something that I hadn't got around to and that is add the preloader to the larger end.

Jun 02 06 04:26 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

Experimental Photoworks wrote:

Good job Sean now how do we get rid of this image stealing creep????

its interesting untill i see proof that it was stolen. Which has now been posted.
Now tear him a new one.

Jun 02 06 04:27 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

>> www.Nedjetti.com

I'm Blessed my girlfriend of 7.5 years is a webdesigner, her name is Brenda and her website is www.Mireku.com

She's a student at Art Institute of NYC and getting her degree in Interactive Media Design (she created and is the president of the IMD club).

Her business has parlayed into a Studio and she's shooting my educational hairstyling dvd in a couple of months.

4 out 5 callers (calling to book a hair appt with me) always comment how FAB my website is!! They get so excited, you'd thought I sent them a check, lol

maybe it's me, but I adore websites with information other than the obvious on it, but that's just me

hair artist, Nedjetti

and YES i styled EVERY hairstyle in my hair gallery MYSELF, yes, I sure did...

people stealing work, how scandalous!!!!

Jun 02 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Heaps

Austin, Texas, US

another side of it is often the poor production graphics.  Photog's often take amazing pics and no how to color correct them for print but I think many photogs, if they know PS at all, still don't know any of the web production techniques or just graphic arts tastes to accomplish their vision.  Subtle desires often can be big production if you don't know how to achieve it...But taste is a subjective thing and often one mans gold is another mans lead.

But I hear ya, I've seen quite a few good sites, with bad text, or great pictures with terrible buttons...

But if it serves the purpose and gets you work or your message across, bueno!

Jun 02 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

flesh and color wrote:

its interesting untill i see proof that it was stolen. Which has now been posted.
Now tear him a new one.

What more proof do you want, than Sean showing you the photographer's site ( striffler.com ) with the image? Are u blind ? Stupid or both ??

Jun 02 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

Sean Armenta wrote:

That is scandalous forreal
sad and pathetic on his behalf.....
then he posted up his website with stolen images in it for all to see !!!!!!
wonder who elses work is on there...
he wanted to get BUSTED

he should be banned for stealing others work...

Jun 02 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

Uh oh, did someone just get outed?

Jun 02 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

Ibarra Photo wrote:

that looks like a template or very similar to my friend's site www.andreshernandez.net He DOES design websites! smile And he designed his own site!

Jun 02 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

Sean.....I am confused.....the name on that site you uploaded is different from the person you were quoting....I am so stupid....but let me know who it is so I can look through his site to see if I recognize any more stuff he lifted
Thanks,
Thomas

Jun 02 06 04:55 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

i remember a London hair site stole one of my hair images and I made them take it down, it's not a good feeling when one's work is stolen sad

Nedjetti

Jun 02 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Thomas B wrote:

Sean.....I am confused.....the name on that site you uploaded is different from the person you were quoting....I am so stupid....but let me know who it is so I can look through his site to see if I recognize any more stuff he lifted
Thanks,
Thomas

it's michael romeo -- MM #107209, but it looks like the mods already deleted his ass.

Jun 02 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Just a quick reminder:  MM does not tolerate image theft of any kind for any reason.  I don't care if you're VIP; I'll ban a thief with the quickness.

Jun 02 06 04:59 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

Dax wrote:
What more proof do you want, than Sean showing you the photographer's site ( striffler.com ) with the image? Are u blind ? Stupid or both ??

none of that was posted when i said interesting dipshit smile His original image wasnt a screenshot of the site. It was just the pic with a copyright notice on it. And that doesnt proove dick. So It was interesting.

Jun 02 06 05:08 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

flesh and color wrote:

none of that was posted when i said interesting dipshit smile His original image wasnt a screenshot of the site. It was just the pic with a copyright notice on it. And that doesnt proove dick. So It was interesting.

Uh...I have to disagree...the guy who owned the website was named Michael Romeo...the name plastered on the image for all to see was Eric Striffler. I think that's proof enough that Micheal didn't take the picture.

Jun 02 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Sean Armenta wrote:

it's michael romeo -- MM #107209, but it looks like the mods already deleted his ass.

So who is that Eric Striffler guy? Or is the same person. I am such an idiot....I feel like the guy in Mallrats who could not see the  hidden sailboat in the 3-D picture. Well....I am glad he got booted but di*ks like that will show up again with some new photos from other people.

Jun 02 06 05:18 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
Uh...I have to disagree...the guy who owned the website was named Michael Romeo...the name plastered on the image for all to see was Eric Striffler. I think that's proof enough that Micheal didn't take the picture.

nope that doesnt proove anything. Anyone can take a pic and slap a copyright on it and say it was stolen.

So - I say its interesting untill better proof comes along instead of jumping out with a chainsaw ready to publicaly cut someones head off.

And i never saw the picture on the other guys website, accept which was posted here.

So agin

interesting

Now am I saying it wasnt stolen? No, but it was an interesting catch.

But I am saying a copyright symbol and a name on an image proves jackshit

Jun 02 06 05:20 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Thomas B wrote:

So who is that Eric Striffler guy? Or is the same person. I am such an idiot....I feel like the guy in Mallrats who could not see the  hidden sailboat in the 3-D picture. Well....I am glad he got booted but di*ks like that will show up again with some new photos from other people.

Eric Striffler is the guy who actually took the picture...the guy who stole the picture was retarded enough to leave the name of the photographer right there on the picture.

Jun 02 06 05:20 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

flesh and color wrote:

nope that doesnt proove anything. Anyone can take a pic and slap a copyright on it and say it was stolen.

So - I say its interesting untill better proof comes along instead of jumping out with a chainsay ready to publically cut someones head off.

Why would a 3rd party put someone else's copyright on an image and call the person who owns the site an image thief? That seems awfully pointless.

Jun 02 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

hahahaha....I am even dumber than I thought.....I did not notice that Eric Stiffler was the Eric S on MM....ok...i am going to go dunk my head in the toilet and wake up. sorry Eric....glad to see that other guy go. Ant that shot we are all talking about is bad ass! At least the thief has taste right?

Jun 02 06 05:25 pm Link

Body Painter

FleshandColor

like i said - i never saw the image on the guys site, just what was posted here.
Im not saying the image wasnt stolen.

I was defending my use of the word interesting instead of going off and calling him all sorts of names.

Because all that was posted here was an image with a copyright on it that doesnt proove anything.

it has now been edited to be a screenshot of the website of the owner now.

Jun 02 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Template Monster may the the real guilty party here.  We're sorting it out.

Jun 02 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

whoah whoah... hold on LOL

i edited my original reply to include a screen capture of eric's website so everyone could see that it was eric's image.  if i'm not mistaken, eric shot this at least a year ago, maybe two.

if you go to http://michaelromeostudio.com you will see that this guy actually photoshopped out eric's copyright notice.

so cut flesh&color a break LOL  you guys came in a bit late smile

Jun 02 06 05:29 pm Link