Forums > General Industry > What is implied nudity?

Photographer

Studio JBS Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

What is implied nudity

May 31 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

It's when you think that it's nude, but it ain't...

May 31 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

It's akin to simulated sex. tongue

May 31 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

sigh~

what kind of stupid fuckin' question is that?

god...

May 31 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

bump

May 31 06 10:41 pm Link

Model

Sonia_25

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

umm...This message is replying to James Graham

James,
Why in the world would you leave a message like that. It was just a question, and obviously she didn't know what it meant, so why did you have to burn her like that? Have a little respect!

Man oh Man, some ppl are just so rude! sad

May 31 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

May 31 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Dean Solo

Miami, Arizona, US

It's what Adam and Eve did before they realized they were naked and expelled from God's studio.

May 31 06 10:58 pm Link

Model

Suellen

Arlington, Georgia, US

Sonia_21 wrote:

James,
Why in the world would you leave a message like that. It was just a question, and obviously she didn't know what it meant, so why did you have to burn her like that? Have a little respect!

AMEN!

May 31 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

JBS Photography wrote:
What is implied nudity

https://www.raveneyes.com/335/IMG_0801.jpg

May 31 06 11:06 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

James Jackson wrote:

Beautiful!  Someone who answers a question with a picture that succinctly demonstrates the definition.  Good job!

May 31 06 11:11 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Technically, I think the official name for implied nudity is "the last year of marriage..."

LOL

May 31 06 11:15 pm Link

Photographer

Studio JBS Photography

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

Sonia_21 wrote:

James,

Thank you so much!! I was just wondering because I want to have clear communication between me and the model so then I dont embarass her or make her feel uncomfortable in anyway.  I was reading a thread on glamour and what it means and after listening to  a couple of answers it sounded like to me implied nudity.  That is why I ask.

May 31 06 11:17 pm Link

Model

G Jay

Don't pick on James like that either.  He is just thinking most people in the business know  the meaning of implied nudity.  Duh.  I'd expect people to laugh at me if I put it out like that.  I mean, elaborate what you do know and ask for variations is a better approach than simply, what is implied nudity? as though you are soi niaive.   Putting a wooden door or a piece of material covering specific areas of the female/male body  is implied nudity to me.  Hey, James, how 'ya goin?

May 31 06 11:23 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Sonia_21 wrote:

James,

They don't have no manners in North Carolina...

(P.S. I'm going to tip his hand and point out he's responded with the exact same phrase in several threads lately... Remember kids: don't posterbate while intoxicated?)

May 31 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

GloriaJ wrote:
Don't pick on James like that either.  He is just thinking most people in the business know  the meaning of implied nudity.  Duh.  I'd expect people to laugh at me if I put it out like that.  I mean, elaborate what you do know and ask for variations is a better approach than simply, what is implied nudity? as though you are soi niaive.   Putting a wooden door or a piece of material covering specific areas of the female/male body  is implied nudity to me.  Hey, James, how 'ya goin?

Actually, if you read some of the threads I posted for past discussions, there were passionate arguments asserting that James' suggestion was nudity, not implied nudity.

I would define his as implied, but I am just one voice and many don't agree.  Where is Joe Duerr when we need a major disagreeement?

May 31 06 11:37 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

JBS Photography wrote:
What is implied nudity

Might as well answer the question.

When the model looks naked, but she isn't because something is in the way of the clothes.

Covered nude is when the model IS nude, but none of the naughty bits show. Most people call that implied nude too, but it doesn't make much sense.

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:
Where is Joe Duerr when we need a major disagreeement?

Never fear! I can provide major disagreement and I don't even have to go into random threads without reading them and call people stupid! I read them first...

May 31 06 11:38 pm Link

Model

Amanda Padilla

New York, New York, US

James Graham wrote:
sigh~

god...

for reals!

GOOGLE something if you dont know what it means, that shit anit hard!

do your damn reseach!!!

May 31 06 11:39 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

James Graham wrote:
sigh~

god...

Oh Sweetpea ...

May 31 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well.

This is a site for the amateur to the professional.  If someone is asking a question, it's out of a desire to learn the answer.  Remember there are no stupid questions.  It took more energy to answer this thread by being rude than it did to answer a simple question.  True there are other avenues that may have answered the question but so frelling what?!?!  If it bothered you, you should have just moved on instead of answering.

Lighten up people.  Life's to short to be so damn angry, nasty and generally unhelpful.

May 31 06 11:55 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Implied nudity is kinda like implied sex - you know, where she gives you lots of reasons to think you're gonna get a little until you spend the bucks on that five star restaurant .... yup, as soon as the lobster and after dinner drinks are over, so is the date!

< insert no, I don't think all women or even many of them are like that, grin >

May 31 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

J Merrill Images wrote:
Implied nudity is kinda like implied sex - you know, where she gives you lots of reasons to think you're gonna get a little until you spend the bucks on that five star restaurant .... yup, as soon as the lobster and after dinner drinks are over, so is the date!

< insert no, I don't think all women or even many of them are like that, grin >

ROFLMAO!!

May 31 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

GloriaJ wrote:

Actually, if you read some of the threads I posted for past discussions, there were passionate arguments asserting that James' suggestion was nudity, not implied nudity.

I would define his as implied, but I am just one voice and many don't agree.  Where is Joe Duerr when we need a major disagreeement?

I think we may be getting our James' mixed up here...  I think James Graham was who Gloria was defending and James Jackson (*hey that's me*) was who Alan was talking about!

-or-

I'm the only one who's confused and you can all go on about your discussion of hiding nude naughty bits versus hiding clothed naughty bits versus implied nudity versus impaired nudity

Jun 01 06 12:00 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

J Merrill Images wrote:

The implied sex happens the next day when you make your friends think you got some when you in fact didn't.

Jun 01 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Benny

Brooklyn, New York, US

so what is implied clothing?

Jun 01 06 12:02 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
The implied sex happens the next day when you make your friends think you got some when you in fact didn't.

I think that's just lied sex.

Jun 01 06 12:02 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Jun 01 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Benny wrote:
so what is implied clothing?

leave it to one of the many Benny's to make the question harder...

Implied Clothing:

https://www.raveneyes.com/335/IMG_6293.jpg

Jun 01 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

LMAO! Yup, that too!

Jun 01 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

James Jackson wrote:

I think we may be getting our James' mixed up here...  I think James Graham was who Gloria was defending and James Jackson (*hey that's me*) was who Alan was talking about!

-or-

I'm the only one who's confused and you can all go on about your discussion of hiding nude naughty bits versus hiding clothed naughty bits versus implied nudity versus impaired nudity

I'm confused.  James Jackson, you, the real James, I think your image is implied.  I normally define it as "no nipples, no genitals." but others consider implied to be clothed but making the viewer believe the model is nude.

So you hit the nail on the head.  I was supporting your definition but suggesting that others don't agree.

Let's find something else to fight about.

Jun 01 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

I was supporting your definition but suggesting that others don't agree.

\o/ Whoo hoo... ok got it.

Let's find something else to fight about.

Ok, it's time for a B double E double R - U - N and it's your turn to drive....

Jun 01 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

And then there is "implied clothing". Still working on that one.... I guess body painting is one example, also when shooting in crowded areas with a shirt popped open, etc. Making that not look like a GGW highlight is key here wink

Jun 01 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Lee Lossing wrote:
And then there is "implied clothing". Still working on that one.... I guess body painting is one example, also when shooting in crowded areas with a shirt popped open, etc. Making that not look like a GGW highlight is key here wink

Implied Clothing:

https://www.raveneyes.com/335/IMG_6293.jpg

This is implied clothing...  Clearly Kate is nude, but there's clothing implied there... big_smile

Jun 01 06 12:42 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Wait - there are no stupid questions..????

Jun 02 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Nope, no stupid questions...just stupid people.  ;-)

Seriously though, if you don't know something (whatever it is), asking a question no matter how obvious to others - is the quest for knowledge and therefore inherently an intelligent concept.  :-D IMHO

Jun 02 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Malloch

Hastings, England, United Kingdom

Never been able to understand the definition 'implied nude' myself. If you are naked you are nude, if you are not naked you are not nude. There seems to be no logic in the term whatsoever. If the model is hiding some of the body behind a door frame (as in the example) she is still nude. If a model does not want to show certain parts of the anatomy then why do they bother. As a photographer I would never book a model for my fine art work if those restrictions were placed on me.

Jun 02 06 02:17 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

she could be wearing socks. if she's wearing socks, it's implied nudity. if she's totally nude, but covering herself, it's covered nude.

someone gimme a cookie?

Jun 02 06 10:11 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Sonia_21 wrote:

James,

I thought it was pretty funny...but then...I have a huge crush on James...so it probably wasn't...lol

Jun 02 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

That's right. Does she have socks on?

Dave Wright Photo wrote:

she could be wearing socks. if she's wearing socks, it's implied nudity. if she's totally nude, but covering herself, it's covered nude.

someone gimme a cookie?

Jun 02 06 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

wishingtree photography

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

It depends on what your definition of "is" is.

Jun 02 06 10:21 pm Link