Forums > General Industry > What is implied nudity?

Photographer

James Barry

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm really glad I read this forum... I thought implied nudity was when you have a willing nude model and the photographer screws up in taking the picture so that you do not see any of the good parts...Boy was I wrong!

Jun 02 06 10:21 pm Link

Model

K-A

Healdsburg, California, US

James Graham wrote:
sigh~

what kind of stupid fuckin' question is that?

god...

LMFAO

Jun 02 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bent Creek Productions

Greenwich, Connecticut, US

theda wrote:
"They don't have no manners in North Carolina..."

Our manners far exceed your grammar!

Sincerely,
Cubby (a damn yankee)

Jun 02 06 10:39 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

ImageWerks wrote:
I'm really glad I read this forum... I thought implied nudity was when you have a willing nude model and the photographer screws up in taking the picture so that you do not see any of the good parts...Boy was I wrong!

ALL my parts are good.

Jun 03 06 01:02 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Andre Knudsen wrote:
That's right. Does she have socks on?

If I remember correctly she has her panties still on but hiked down to below the frame of the door... that was a year or two ago though...  All I clearly remember is her boyfriend shielding me from lens flare with my hat.

But my only question with these definitions of implied nudity is that a fully nude person hidden could still be an implied nude, because though you don't see the nudity, what you *do* see is enough to imply the nudity.  The actual status of clothing on the model but off camera is irrelevant (as the example shows).

Jun 03 06 01:15 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

I thought it was pretty funny...but then...I have a huge crush on James...so it probably wasn't...lol

You do! big_smile

Oh...damn it wrong James...AGAIN!

Jun 03 06 01:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

'implied nudity'   =  the photographer gets to see you naked but he wont show anyone else. smile

Jun 03 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

Mary wrote:
'implied nudity'   =  the photographer gets to see you naked but he wont show anyone else. smile

hahaha

Implied nudity is such a silly term.  If the model is nude, what is implied about it?  Mary is right in my little mind.

Jun 03 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

JBS Photography wrote:
What is implied nudity

WAIT ....

This is not a stupid question at all. Let me give you my experienced take on this because everyone else is missing this important point:

The MOST important defination of Implied Nudity is the way we define it for ourselves and between the model and photographer in our modeling agreement.

Becuse there is no end to the ways people will discribe what this is, then we should lock it down in specific words as part of our agreement. Nude photo shoots should be defined carefully to avoid confusion and differing interpretations.

This is what I wrote for myself in my own model release:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. TERMS AND DEFINITIONS OF NUDITY & IMPLIED NUDITY FOR THIS PHOTO SHOOT

NUDITY – For this agreement and for our mutual understanding, we both hereby define  “nudityâ€? as showing nipples or genitalia visibly and uncovered in the finished edited images  created for public display.

IMPLIED NUDITY (nipples or genitalia not showing) will not be considered as nudity for the  purpose of this agreement “Implied Nudityâ€? includes the use of shadows, silhouettes, hair, and  cloth, blurs, or other means during the editing process to obscure, cover or hide nipples and genitalia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOW, I'm not saying this is the way to write it, and I'm not suggesting that anyone write it this way for themselves. It's what I did for me, and it's where it stands now. There is a tradeoff between being clear and simple, and with being too legalistic, garbled, confusing, restrictive and intimidating.

Click Hamilton
San Diego
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

https://mk23.image.pbase.com/o4/58/623858/1/60923917.2006052713063w.jpg

Jun 03 06 02:01 pm Link

Photographer

M Coleman Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Implied nudity...She's naked, but you can't see any nipples or crotch in this shot.  So, basically she's nude and you know it, but can't see it.  Sometimes it can also be when you think someone's nude in the shot, but maybe they are wearing a tube top so you didn't see the straps on the shoulder and just thought they were topless.  That sort of thing....
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060526/15/44776b47cf987.jpg

Jun 03 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

M Coleman Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I like Mary's answere...Funny, and pretty much true...

Jun 03 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

Andre Knudsen

REGO PARK, New York, US

She apperas naked, but she is not....

imply |imˈplī| verb ( -plies, -plied)

[ trans. ] strongly suggest the truth or existence of (something not expressly stated) : the salesmen who uses jargon to imply his superior knowledge |

[with clause ] the report implies that two million jobs might be lost.

• (of a fact or occurrence) suggest (something) as a logical consequence : the forecasted traffic increase implied more roads and more air pollution.

Jun 03 06 02:16 pm Link