Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Speaking of makeup expenses....

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Believe me, I understand the value of quality products.  this is just a light hearted thought, not trying to start any heated arguments smile

You know, they say the equipment doesn't make the photographer.  A good photographer can take good photos with a $8,000 camera or a $100 camera.  Can the same be said for MUA?  Do you really need that $25 eye liner pencil or can you make a beatiful face with $5 worth of makeup from save-on?

And just to show my intentions are good, have a kitty big_smile
https://home.san.rr.com/gdp/kittie.gif

May 23 06 06:32 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Boy are you ever asking for it!! *Sits with bag of popcorn and waits for brawl* lol smile

May 23 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Who can fight with a cute kitty waving at ya like that wink

May 23 06 06:39 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I realize that a lot of people think MUA expenses are overkill but let me say this. My fav MUA's airbrush the makeup on so it is completely flawless. For anywhere from $60-$100 I get flawless makeup and the photographer does not have to photoshop me at all, just a little cropping and maybe a lighting adjustment. So it does save you guys time!

May 23 06 06:41 pm Link

Model

Tera Martinez

San Antonio, Texas, US

It really does make a difference. Especially when the models face is'nt shiny or reflective. In the heat of some of the lights is makes a huge difference. The difference always shows is a clean pic.

May 23 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

https://theimaginaryworld.com/iman11.jpg

39 cents wink

May 23 06 06:53 pm Link

Makeup Artist

K E O

Houston, Texas, US

I wont step on to this battle ground but I CAN say.
I am really tired of this topic.

Next.

May 23 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

I have to say I sympathise with models and makeup artists. a model had a large brush ruined by Customs on a trip, and replacing it was $50 from MAC. She felt so bad she returned it the next day.

And my favorite makeup artist, Marylou Gemballa, does a lot of model shoots and weddings, and she says people steal her stuff all the time. She carries 3 boxes of hair and makeup to her jobs, on a luggage carrier, and then she gets stuff stolen when she's working.

Imagine a photographer having his stuff stolen on a shoot. You'd be furious.

May 23 06 07:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i know that there has been comparisons between drugstore brands and high end brands.  and as a mua, sometimes you have to make something work, that you otherwise wouldn't use. There are items that are staples in almost every mua's kit that are super cheap. Wet n' Wild #666 lip pencil- one of the best shades and TONS of tv/film mua's use it and it costs a buck, maybelline great lash is about $4 and la femme cake eyeliner is $2.99. I know some MUAs who swear up and down that Revlon COlorstay mixxed with 244, is better than any prepackaged airbrush foundation.

But to be honest, even if a product works the same, and every so often there is a drugstore brand that has a few things that are good, many people wont take a MUA seriously if they bust out wet'n'wild and almay. especially when you get into celebrity make-ups and very brand/image conscious jobs.

if you gave a mua a kit with just drugstore products, and challenged them to make it work... they probably could, to a certain extent. But given a choice, most would opt for the better and higher quality products. We also have to keep our clients in mind too; I don't put cover girl make-up on MY face... so I wouldn't want to put it on my client and have them break out... see what I mean? Most drugstore brands just don't have the durability or formulation to work for anything other than everyday wear (if that!).

MUAs and hairstylists are consistently buying products, seeing what is new, getting recommendations. So sometimes we might spend hundreds of dollars trying to find that perfect under-eye concealer.

it's also not the product that makes the make-up artist. there are a TON of really BAD make-up artists out there who have top notch kits. so whether the eyeliner is wet and wild or yves st laurent, if you don't know how to line an eye it won't do you a lick of good.

May 25 06 06:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

orinxpress wrote:
And my favorite makeup artist, Marylou Gemballa, does a lot of model shoots and weddings, and she says people steal her stuff all the time. She carries 3 boxes of hair and makeup to her jobs, on a luggage carrier, and then she gets stuff stolen when she's working.

Imagine a photographer having his stuff stolen on a shoot. You'd be furious.

I have had so many think stolen i am think about installing tracking devices on all of my products, I had over $300 bucks in Foundations at one event, all of my "hot" tools ( flat iron ect) stole ant another event and countless lip linners lip sticks and prittly much anything thats not nailed down can be taken. So yah it sucks when my stuff get stolen. You dont often hear about a model walking off with a camera or lights, but you always hear bout make-up walking. HMMM I didnt know they grew legs smile

and yah this one has been discused to deal ,,,, next topic please. hmm i am in a chatty mood tonight smile
Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry.

May 26 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Gary Davis wrote:
You know, they say the equipment doesn't make the photographer.  A good photographer can take good photos with a $8,000 camera or a $100 camera.  Can the same be said for MUA?  Do you really need that $25 eye liner pencil or can you make a beatiful face with $5 worth of makeup from save-on?

Yes, while a good photographer can make good photos from a $100 camera, she or he cannot make the same photos as could be made with an $8,000 camera. 

A good MUA can do good work with crappy makeup, but that is not the same as what could be done with the right materials.

You'll notice that a lot of the time when a photographer uses a lower-end camera, the final result has a lot to do with what a good photo was taken considering the tools. 

I mean seriously, you can't polish a turd.

May 26 06 02:45 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Gary Davis wrote:
they say the equipment doesn't make the photographer (...) Can the same be said for MUA?

absolutely! an artist's creative vision isn't found in a camera or a makeup product; it's likely more a product of experience & vision ...

FML

May 26 06 02:52 am Link