Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Photo-safe makeup?

Makeup Artist

Elise Christine

Houston, Texas, US

does anyone know of a photography safe makeup that is also moderately priced? I'm just starting out, so I can't really afford to spend a rediculous amount of money, but I'd still like my finished work to look beautiful.

Any suggestions?

May 23 06 01:22 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Margoux Le Roux

Washington, District of Columbia, US

May 23 06 01:24 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elise Christine

Houston, Texas, US

oh, and any input on my work is greatly appreciated. I know the photo quality isn't great.

May 23 06 01:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Nina G Artistry

Houston, Alaska, US

Ben Nye products are also great!!! Good luck with your biz!! Contact me anytime.

May 23 06 01:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Elise Christine wrote:
oh, and any input on my work is greatly appreciated. I know the photo quality isn't great.

I can't really give any input until i see a pro photo.

May 25 06 07:29 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Elise Christine

Houston, Texas, US

uh, thanks.

May 26 06 02:09 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Nina G Artistry wrote:
Ben Nye products are also great!!! Good luck with your biz!! Contact me anytime.

these are fun, they sell them at a costume store down where i am smile

May 26 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Thuy Anh wrote:
these are fun, they sell them at a costume store down where i am smile

Yeah,  I'm all for Ben Nye too. Great underfoundation concealers. I think what you are concerned about is how makeups tend to fluoresce, go blue under strobes. You turn out looking like a clown. Usually that happens if there is magnesium in the makeup.

May 26 06 02:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Hi Elise,
I think you have a creative eye, but watch out with putting so many colors on for the sake of doing something crazy.  Tone it down a bit and really work on your blending.
Also, it doesn't even look as though any of the models are wearing foundation.  We shouldn't see the foundation, but we also shouldn't see blotchy skin.
Good luck!!

May 26 06 07:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

Elise Christine

Houston, Texas, US

Tracey Masterson wrote:
Hi Elise,
I think you have a creative eye, but watch out with putting so many colors on for the sake of doing something crazy.  Tone it down a bit and really work on your blending.
Also, it doesn't even look as though any of the models are wearing foundation.  We shouldn't see the foundation, but we also shouldn't see blotchy skin.
Good luck!!

Thanks! I really appreciate your input.
I've improved a lot more recently on blemish coverage and blending, since I've invested in some good products.
And In my defense... with the photos i have on my page, I had VERY little to work with.

May 26 06 10:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Nika Vaughan

Chicago, Illinois, US

I've heard varying opinions about Ben Nye make-up for photography.  One side loves it, but I've heard that you've got to specify "the film Ben Nye" over the stage stuff.  What's the difference?

May 26 06 08:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mark Schmudde

New Lenox, Illinois, US

My favorite line is Dan Read Cosmetics.  It was actually the first make up designed for HDTV.  Not only does it look great in photos and video, but it really lasts, too.  I have personally used it when the models have been made up at 4:00 AM,  shot at the beach and been in the water all day, and the make up was still intact at 10:00 that night after the model jumped in the pool.  All the pictures throughout the day looked great.  I just did a shoot where the model was shot out in the rain.  I would just dab the model's face right before the shot and she looked flawless.  Even in the rain.

I love all the products there at DRC.  Not only are they great products, they are reasonably priced as well.  I think foundation is $26.95 and it lasts quite a while. You can check out the website at: www.danreadcosmetics.com.

I hope this helps.

Mark

May 26 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

orinxpress

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

MakeupNV wrote:
I've heard varying opinions about Ben Nye make-up for photography.  One side loves it, but I've heard that you've got to specify "the film Ben Nye" over the stage stuff.  What's the difference?

Ben Nye works for stage and film because it's oil-based and will not cake up. It also has no magnesium dioxide to it will not flouresce blue under strobes. Anonther good stage/photo makeup, even better, is Joe Blasco. It's not has heavy.

May 27 06 07:17 pm Link