Forums > General Industry > What's the benefit of Friends?

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

NOT trying to draw flames or aggravate, but I'm curious as to how people use the Friends here on MM. What's the benefit of having 1,000 Friends listed on your profile? How many people go through and keep tabs on the portfolios of their Friends? Do you do anything with multiple pages of Friends listings? (I can't find a way to sort them, like by most recently added or most recently updated, etc.) Thoughts?

Thanks,
Wm

May 23 06 10:54 am Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

Benefit=bragging rights/publicity

I may be way off base, but I think that people "friend" people up mostly to get themselves noticed.  In other words, when someone looks at your MM page, they see who else is on your page and in turn. . .go to that person's page and the process is repeated.  I've done it (looked at someone's page that I normally would not have looked at, because they were listed as a friend).  I suspect that's the whole point.

Personally, I list people that I have either
1-worked with
2-plan to work with
3-corresponded with and "jive" with them, or
4-exchanged compliments with

I use tags and comments to give kudos.  I use my "favorites" for just that. . .my favorite MM'ers (individuals whos work I admire or rather enjoy looking at).  I've only "initiated" a friend's request once or twice.  But then again. . .I'm hardly the norm.

May 23 06 10:58 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

i send friend requests to models and stylists whose work i really like and with whom i'd like to work, and to photographers i admire. i accept friend requests from those kind enough to be interested in my work.

May 23 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

it's like a warm, virtual hug from a stranger.

May 23 06 11:03 am Link

Photographer

MisterChris

Manitowoc, Wisconsin, US

It's a form of networking mostly imo.. one more place to get you out there. Kinda like a business card tacked to your mutual corkboards.

Personally when I have plans in the works my friends list (or the equivalent thereof on other sites) is usually the first place I'll look for the other talent that fits whatever it is that I want to do. And sometimes (rarely) I'll just randomly surf friends pages jumping from one to the next. It can be amusing or even inspirational when you're bored. smile

May 23 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

LOL!!!  OK, but do you "use" your Friends list once you have "hugged?"

May 23 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Second Glance wrote:
LOL!!!  OK, but do you "use" your Friends list once you have "hugged?"

no, but i suppose i could delete someone and re-add them if i wanted to re-live the hug.

May 23 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
no, but i suppose i could delete someone and re-add them if i wanted to re-live the hug.

Damn.... why do I suddenly feel like I need a cigarette...???

May 23 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I pay for my friends because I don't have anything better to do with my money and I'm as shallow as a puddle in a parking lot tongue

May 23 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I use 'Friends' for people I've work with or want to work with.

By checking your Friends periodically, you can see who has a new avatar, generally a clue as to their having new photos up.

I wouldn't be impressed by a huge number of friends or distressed by having a few.

May 23 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

I think it's pretty safe to say that if someone adds you as a friend... they are probably pretty interested in whatever it is that you do... 600+ friends here... guess it's time for me to start sending them some mail once in awhile.  In my book... you can NEVER have enough friends... wink

May 23 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I didn't realize MM had a friends with benefits system going on here...

May 23 06 11:46 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Oh man are you out of the loop!

May 23 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

LOL... awwwwww... come in now Brian... what good are the friends if they dont come with the 'benies'... wink

May 23 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I use a friends list as a database of people that either admire my work, are my friends in RL, i.e. people I have met and worked with, and people that I would like to work with.
Another thing that is fun with the friends list is since it is in chronological order, you can go back and see when you started contact with someone. (And delete the people you have absolutely no interest in) While most people do not actively use it, I like to have it as when I am looking for a model or something, I can go back over it and see who has expressed interest in my work.

May 23 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

Michael Blackmon

Oakland, California, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

thats funny

May 23 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

~Krista~ wrote:
...Another thing that is fun with the friends list is since it is in chronological order, you can go back and see when you started contact with someone. (And delete the people you have absolutely no interest in).

Really??? Mine never seems to be that way... Mine seems to come up in all kinds of weird orders - I can't even tell who is the most recent. The last person I approved came up in the 1st spot of the 2nd row!  X)

May 23 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I wish I could sort them by state. It would make it so much easier than scrolling through a few pages. The best way my "friends" could benefit me is to be there when I visit their towns. smile

I sometimes get snooty and deny friends, but mostly I just click "accept".

May 23 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I hear ya Jennifer... but usually I never hear from them again after I've added them... :-(

May 24 06 01:47 am Link

Model

AdamBGarrett

Hampton, Virginia, US

I look through friends for TFP if I'm traveling somewhere and am looking for a shoot.

May 24 06 01:52 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I shoot my friends...With my camera of course! But seriously folks...I get most of my shoots by adding friends. I even state in my profile that If I solicit a "friend" it means I'd like to work with them if they are a model or stylist. Photographers are different. If I solicit it means I think their work is excellent. If they solicit???? Case by case basis.
Mike

May 24 06 01:52 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

It would be a lot more helpful if you could search through your friends only by state.  When I am headed out of town, it would make it so much easier.

May 24 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Ken Rieves Photography

Avon Lake, Ohio, US

Interesting thread. Since I am relatively new here, I too was wondering how the friends section was used. I assumed it for people you correspond with/ work with/ would like to work with.

May 24 06 08:20 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Ken Rieves Photography wrote:
Interesting thread. Since I am relatively new here, I too was wondering how the friends section was used. I assumed it for people you correspond with/ work with/ would like to work with.

Ken, that's exactly what I was thinking. But I'm starting to realize that as you accumulate a lot of Friend Requests, how do you keep up with them? I scroll through and can't recall what part of the country most are in, what their interests are, etc... and have they updated their portfolio? I have no idea! That's why I'm curious HOW people use the Friends list...

May 24 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Synthetic Shadows wrote:
i send friend requests to models and stylists whose work i really like and with whom i'd like to work, and to photographers i admire. i accept friend requests from those kind enough to be interested in my work.

that about says it for me! smile

May 24 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

adam garrett wrote:
I look through friends for TFP if I'm traveling somewhere and am looking for a shoot.

so Brian... Adam uses it as a friends with benefits system :-o

May 24 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

I don't really send out many friends requests. I do find however, if I find a portfolio I like I do tend to look through their friends list a bit. Often I find other portfolios I like that way.

May 24 06 11:37 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Like many others I am sure, I choose people for my friends list that I have worked with, want to work with, have chatted with and respect their insights or in some cases just people whose work I have really enjoyed and use it as a way to look back at their new stuff.

In some cases, I use it as a list of people who have expressed interest in working together so if I am looking for someone with a certian look or build, I can go through and e-mail them about the project.

Like anything else, it is just a tool.  But for some, they use it like they use the Friends section on MySpace.... as a way of looking more popular than they my actually be and as a way of getting a lot of people to look at their profile.

May 24 06 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

Very true Apfel. I've seen people on MySpace with 4,000+ friends, and there's obviously NO way they can even tell who is who... I'm sure there are some with many more than that too - Jenna Jameson comes to mind... LOL!

May 24 06 01:46 pm Link