Forums > General Industry > Music Tips for photoshoots....

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm curious of what you Photographers play for Tunes as Backgroung Music  on some of your shoots ......
I know Models , most of the time, like Music during their Sessions..
I'm not looking only for Genre , but Specific Albums .....Which brings the mood

I have around 60GB in my I-Tunes , but always look for new tunes ....
A DJ friend of mine  want to work on some Specific Compilations for
BackgroundSounds for Photo Shoots.....
Would love to get some input from the Shooters side and the Models as well

Thank you for Sharing!!

May 21 06 02:27 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

I let the model bring his/her own.  Easier that way - and I get to hear stuff that would have slipped under my radar.

May 21 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(scratches head) uh, this question, or one very, very similar, was just up ...

... but uh, yeah, i have a LOT of CDS and just as much on the computer for when i'm shooting studio type work; on-location is quite different, obviously.

too, yeah, the model is always invited to bring along one or two of his/her favorite CDs.

what, specifically, type music do i play? man, that depends on my many moods ... but as a musician, i have a passion for reggae, blues, and rock, then add some of the trip-notic club scene stuff too.

on one rare occasion i even played some Classical.

totally subjective. you seeing where i'm going?

fml

May 21 06 02:35 am Link

Model

Schwarz

Des Moines, Iowa, US

My photographer usually plays older rock, Aerosmith, Eagles, its something we can both work to and can both agree. I would just say talk to the model and find some middle ground with it, something you both enjoy and can work to.

May 21 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I will turn on something that the model can dance to and bob thier head to.
Ofcourse though, not all models like the same music. So best to ask.

In my experience most like hip hop, latin hip hop, pop, and r&b. Gets them going and having a good time.

May 21 06 04:23 am Link

Model

DeannaSB

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

I like to hear some good ole model music...you know Right Said Fred "I'm too Sexy"and RuPaul "Supermodel"...it just gets me in the mood...lol

May 21 06 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

Me. I usually lissen to Queen, Pink Floyd, Led Zeplin or the Beatles. In my CD player now is:

Arrowsmith greatest hits
Arrowsmith, big ones
Queen, A night at the Operah
Queen, The Game
Pink Floyd, Umma Gumma
Pink Floyd, The Finial Cut
Zep I
Zep II
Zep III
Zep Physical Grafitie (both cd's)
Rolling Stones, Goat head soup
Rolling stones, let it Bleed
Beatles, Let it be
Beatles, Blue
Beates, Red

May 21 06 08:02 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I normally play the soundtrack from "Debbie Does Dallas."

j/k

I let the models rummage through my Cd's and play what they want to play, which normally turns out to be Aaliyah's music.

May 21 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I usually ask the model what she likes.  The typical response is, "I like everything."  (whether it's true or not) 

Usually, I play something upbeat, either house or hip-hop.  It spurs my creativity.

May 21 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

PlasticPuppet

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Although I've never had any complaints about the music, most people have said they enjoy it, I always ask before hand.  However, because I think I'm going partially deaf or at the very least find loud music distracting, and listening quietly to music that is meant to be loud is kind of a downer for everyone involved, I tend to pick more eclectic softer music.

A quick list

Gary Jules, Portishead, Morphone, The Smiths, Sloan, Wolfsheim, Depeche Mode, Aphex Twin, Hooverphonic, Jefferson Airplane, Fugees, Bowery Electric, Telepopmusik, Death Cab for Cute, gorillaz, etc...

May 21 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

for softer/calmer moods i like

american hi-fi
death cab
jack johnson
bee gees
bob dylan
coldplay
the fray
john mayer
lupe fiasco
ok go
vanilla sky
radiohead

for more upbeat moods i like

fall out boy (even though it's overplayed now)
all-american rejects (overplayed too)
blink 182
gorillaz
the bravery
the darkness
franz ferdinand
jack's mannequin
panic! at the disco
the stills
the von bondies
daft punk
the faint

yeah

May 21 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

Thanks Guys,
I'm a music Freak for ever  and shoot on ,  from Classical to Electronic
my Favorites are  the Down Tempo   Kruder & Dorfmeister, Tosca, Thievery corporation ,
Boozoo Bajou.... anfd so on  people call it Ecletic too ...Lots of Models  like HIP -HOP
the Pussy Cats Dolls  are popular too .... not my fav's for Backgounds... but I found out
Long time ago , what a difference it makes with the right tunes
Matter a fact , all the Rental stages ...I worked at  Coyotte....MiaHaus ...SmashBox
have an IPOD connection in every stage.... and I have a portable System for location ..

I'm Thankfull for any Killer Sounds Tips ....big sucker for Music
Grateful for all the information you already put out there

May 21 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

oh ya, and one last thing. i strongly recommend that you dont play any death metal/screamo like children of bodom or something. not the most widely accepted musical flavor out there.

May 21 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

TREVOR GODINHO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

JAZZ --- MILES DAVIS

May 21 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Damn  , I was just  going to start a thread on this today - but  I am glad you did

Had a good result before and during a photo shoot yesterday  when I played Damian Marleys "Welcome to Jamrock " - which - if you havent heard it ( or of it though it won 2 Grammys ) is a an interesting mixture of contemporary Reggae styles ...

Even had my Chinese makeup artists groovin to the riddems

May 21 06 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

Garry k wrote:
Damn  , I was just  going to start a thread on this today - but  I am glad you did

Had a good result before and during a photo shoot yesterday  when I played Damian Marleys "Welcome to Jamrock " - which - if you havent heard it ( or of it though it won 2 Grammys ) is a an interesting mixture of contemporary Reggae styles ...

Even had my Chinese makeup artists groovin to the riddems

I do love Dub ..have  a bunch of it ..use to be a pot head and shot in
Jamaica in the 80's  . a lot of good session on some Jerk places ..great
memories .... Dub Syndicate , New Age Steppers, African Head  Charge, creation Rebel and many others....

May 22 06 12:31 am Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

I can't concentrate with music going. It's fine before a shoot when makeup is being done etc, but while I'm shooting I want it off.

May 22 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

Ched wrote:
I can't concentrate with music going. It's fine before a shoot when makeup is being done etc, but while I'm shooting I want it off.

Totally understand, I met other shooters like you .... For me Music do not distract me
I even get more focus .......A lot of my ideas are originated from SoundScapes....
and it is not about noise , nor feeling empty spaces, more enhancing a moment
I can work  on a Fashion shoot  with Jessie Norman  ( December  , the 4 last songs by Richard
Strauss) I get the chills ....  or very cool moment  with Chet Baker  ( Soundtrack . Let'sGet  Lost  , Film by Bruce Weber) or very deep  Cello  by David Darling   ( Ecm  Records )
like you create a mood with your lighting  and support it with a sound Scape....
this work for me... but everybody is lucky wise different....Thanks for sharing

May 22 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

Keeping it close to some of your stated preferences:
Blue Note Sessions - Remixed
Tricky - Angels with Dirty Faces
Portishead - Dummy
Femi Kuti - Fight to Win
Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Sonic Youth - Goo
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Andre Bocelli - Per Amore
Cody ChesnuTT - The Headphone Masterpiece
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
Radiohead - OK Computer
Aphex Twin - Selected Works 85-92

Got to go.

May 22 06 12:57 am Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

megafunk wrote:
Keeping it close to some of your stated preferences:
Blue Note Sessions - Remixed
Tricky - Angels with Dirty Faces
Portishead - Dummy
Femi Kuti - Fight to Win
Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy
James Brown - Live at the Apollo
Sonic Youth - Goo
PJ Harvey - Rid of Me
Andre Bocelli - Per Amore
Cody ChesnuTT - The Headphone Masterpiece
Amon Tobin - Supermodified
Radiohead - OK Computer
Aphex Twin - Selected Works 85-92

Got to go.

Great input...Thanks
Also try
BOOZOO BAJOU   DUST MY BROOM
NIGHTMARES ON WAX   IN A SPACE OUTTA SOUND
COLDCUT  SOUND MIRRORS

May 22 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

LRTMedia

Chattanooga, Oklahoma, US

William Kious wrote:
I let the model bring his/her own.  Easier that way - and I get to hear stuff that would have slipped under my radar.

Music can be subjective.  Are you trying to put the client in a certain mood?

I have an ipod and an exhaustive music collection, but that doesn't mean it's going to do anything for the client.

I'm quoting William because I agree that in your pre-shoot discussion (or as I call "the prenup") you may want to suggest to them that they bring an iPod, mp3 player, or their favorite CD's.  With this sort of collection between the two of you, it allows the mood to go wherever the client wants it to.  It's also not shocking when they tell you to surprise them...cause you never know what kind of shots will come out of it.

May 22 06 10:23 am Link

Model

ahmed87

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

I try to listen to Dance and house music.
faster beat = more energy

May 22 06 10:28 am Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Something to think about:

I was working with a photographer once who had a good mix CD on of nice pop and out of no where comes this slow song... Isley Bros. I think... and if you know the Isley's, you know that's baby making music. Seemed sort of creepy. So if you play any R&B or oldies, make sure the theme isn't sex. LOL

May 22 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I let the model pick what they like ---with one exception ---NO RAP of any kind .

May 22 06 10:33 am Link

Photographer

Philip of Dallas

Dallas, Texas, US

Usually I tune in an iTunes radio station - upbeat world music or electronica - and play it through the stereo via AirPort Express. If I play a CD, seems like it always ends right when I'm just hitting a groove during a photo shoot.

May 22 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

R Christopher

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I think what is missing for me is playing something that both the model and Photog can at least tolerate. Don't play country if country is going to put you or her in a bad mood.

And speaking on moods the music I play also helps them "feel" the mood I want. If I want excitement, edgy, urban feel I go with Lil John (YEEEEAH)

If I want a more sensual mood something slow but not too slow (you don't want the model thinking you trying to get some) Usually an upbeat Jazz tune, or some R&B or Pop song (OOOKAY)

For my portrait clients, its always G rated clean music and usually classical or Top 40 (WHAT)

May 22 06 10:48 am Link

Model

TKat

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Once i was working with a photographer and he put some old school soft rock which i didnt like and since then i didnt bring it up with anyone. smile lately all my shoots are outdoors so no music anyway. smile
~Kat

May 22 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

DeannaSB wrote:
I like to hear some good ole model music...you know Right Said Fred "I'm too Sexy"and RuPaul "Supermodel"...it just gets me in the mood...lol

I like to toss those 2 songs into the middle of the shoot, it tends to pick up the model (me too for that matter).  Otherwise, I like to use some dance / pop / and re-mixes, just not at a super loud volume just enough to keep the energy up and make it fun.  I just use a playlist on my ipod so that it doesn't end to soon.  Usually my music is still playing as we're wrapping up.

May 22 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Maybe it is Miami, most of my models, MUA and stylists alike prefer trance/club music.  Whic I like but never actually collected.  Thankfully my wife was a little club-head right before we met so she has all the CD's including some from the big afterhours clubs down here so the models are always like...."I know that DJ".

May 22 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

vanilla ice
millie vanilli
was not was

May 22 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

ELANFOTOS

Miami, Florida, US

thievery corporation:
faithless
seal
Ministryof sound

May 22 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Chow

San Francisco, California, US

PHOTOGRAPH by Def Leppard is a great song.  I sometimes play it for inspiration.

May 22 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Jean-Paul Mann

For a long time ..I was addict to music ...in Europe I had over 3000 Vinyls and I was mixing almost every night  from one Style to the other, the transition from Classic to punk  to jazz ,
to cool tempo .... and I was mixing tapes to work on in my Studio , sometimes making my clients crazy ... but I had the reputation to be a total nuttcase , so I was getting away with a lot ....the Wonderful eighthies!!!
Anyway , try to watch a good movie without the soundtrack..... We are so in tune to associate
visual and sound, and music became a great source of inspiration , even today ..a good friend
of mine , that I shot at regular basis , always brought her I Pod and during one set was repeating the same  song over and over ....but it was helping in the shooting process, she could relate and get in the mood .. we did good work ..

a lot of talents like DJ's mix ..I do have a lot of those and they keep a high energy  level....
thank you guys for some of your input ...I am curious on some of your tips and will do my
home work ....

May 23 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Unless the model brings their own music, they are doomed to listen to mine. Muahahahaaa! So, if it's up to me it would typically be bands like (sorry, no real specific albums as they vary):

Switchblade Symphony
The Pixies
Lacuna Coil
Faith and the Muse
Collide
Tristania
The Sins of Thy Beloved
The Shroud
Mephisto Walz
Type O Negative
Nightwish
Rasputina
The Cruxshadows
Bauhaus
Sisters of Mercy
Tapping the Vein
The Smiths

And others I can't recall at the moment. Also, the music selection can be dependant on what we're shooting.

-P-

May 23 06 02:19 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

i like songs that are classical like classical music, except i like them even more when remixed into a techno version smile i LOVE techno big_smile

May 23 06 02:22 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

uh, i shoot mostly outdoors, on-location. sigh.

(*reaches for fresh batteries*)

frank

May 23 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Randy Reyes

San Francisco, California, US

I have an open ear to most types of music so I'll let the model bring a CD to their liking. You never know what good stuff you'll hear from others. Heres a thought... how about some live audio standup comedy? Although, comedians exaggerate certain topics that could be offending. Ok.. maybe not.

May 23 06 11:53 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I'll generally put on some good, old-time gospel when shooting nudes. It adds a whole new dimension to the proceedings. Kind of takes us back to the garden, etc.. Obviously, I make sure there are no apples in the studio on those days.

May 23 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

A.Fox wrote:
Something to think about:

I was working with a photographer once who had a good mix CD on of nice pop and out of no where comes this slow song... Isley Bros. I think... and if you know the Isley's, you know that's baby making music. Seemed sort of creepy. So if you play any R&B or oldies, make sure the theme isn't sex. LOL

What if RansomJ is shooting you? Can he break out the Barry White? lol

May 23 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

BCI Photo wrote:

What if RansomJ is shooting you? Can he break out the Barry White? lol

LMAO... well that's a lil different. wink

May 23 06 02:59 pm Link