Forums > General Industry > Top10 Reasons why "Americas Next Top Model"is fake

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

9. We never see the producers and they give the judges input. Things that happen in the house when only the cameras are around tend to come up when the girls are in front of the panel.

10. Jade looks like the cryptkeeper.

May 20 06 04:21 am Link

Photographer

ELITE Model Shots

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Very few of them could be models, even on the web. Tyra chooses who she likes in the end; the last winners haven't done that well. When I've watched that show in the past I can't help but think that I wouldn't shoot with 90% of those models if they were on Mayhem. I miss a good sitcom.

May 20 06 04:47 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

All reality shows are fake. I have never and will never watch a "reality" show.

May 20 06 05:22 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Welllllllllllll ANTM has just got to be better than BB.

We just started out a new BB series in the UK and they have filled the house with people who are society's misfits; eccentrics; drama queens; self important and self-described "pre celebrities"; and at least one whose whole purpose in life is to meet someone "rich"; and another girl whose claim to fame is that she hasn't been laid in 6 weeks and is just gagging for it; and more...

In the real reality of every day life - as opposed to watching this human freak show on the tube - any sensible person in possession of more than two brain cells, as a first reaction to ANY of the BB contestants, would want to escape from their presence as fast as possible to a place far, far away.

Model "reality" shows... and we have had some in the UK... tend to provoke the same reaction.

Studio36

May 20 06 06:05 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Thank you all for participating in this discussion , perhaps you will like to respond to my next topic

Why British Model Naomi Campbell is the Number 1 Supermodel of all time

May 20 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hamza wrote:
Didn't you notice all the Ghetto Speak that was spoken all over the tents and cafe's during the last Fashion Week?  I thought I was in the hood, Yo!  BTW Udo, your makeup looked Fierce!

Yeah, my makeup was done backstage at Heatherette by the guy who did Naomi's makeup, I just had to wait until he finished her... which took a long time, since she was bitching to someone on her cellphone... tongue

May 20 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Christina Ilise

Saint Albans, New York, US

Garry k wrote:

So I picked up the May 2006 American Vogue and broke it down in terms of the ethnicity of all models feaured both in adverts , editorials and general filler ( columns ) Here is my count

White female models ( and actresses)  - 190

Black- 6 ( most fair skinned )

Chinese -1 ( p134 )

Latin and  other -7

These results even shocked me , I didnt think there was that great an inequity .....

So by my calculations, the black models comprise only 2.9 percent of the number of models in that magazine, much lower than the percentage of blacks in the population. Sure you'll see black models on the runway during Fashion Week and sometimes the percentages are higher in mags but they recycle the same handful of models. I'm sure we can name them all.

May 20 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

na52

Ched wrote:
10. Jade looks like the cryptkeeper.

LMAO!!! omg... thank you! THANK YOU for that
..I'm crying a little  right now!.lol from all the laughing!

May 20 06 10:53 pm Link

Model

Christina Ilise

UdoR wrote:
Repost from my MySpace blog as a response to ANTM raves on MySpace modelling groups.

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Thoughts about "Americas Next Top Model"
Category: Fashion, Style, Shopping

With all your enthusiasm for ANTM, please keep in mind that this show is a scripted "reality" show.

Here are a few points to think about:

There are supposedly a Million girls applying to be on that show.

Now, do you really think that those girls being picked are really the most suited ones for high fashion runway and print?

I don't think so...

Why is it, that you have some real knuckleheads making the cut, who are too short, plus size, have tremendeous mental issues etc.?

Well, because they select the models (characters) to reflect the target audience, girls who watch the show.

If they would select, and I am sure that among the Millions of applicants, there are at least a few thousand girls that have the look and height for what it takes to actually be a top model. But those are NOT the ones you see on screen.

Because, if they would chose the real model material, the show wouldn't be so interesting and so many girls wouldn't be able to identify themself with the girls on the show.

But... it's about ratings..., hence, they select characters in which the average American girl with model aspiration, but no real chance, can live a dream, for an hour, once a week... and make them switch on the television set... over and over again... for each season.

So... can you get ideas from the show... absolutely, you also get interesting info on how you work on a photoset etc., but, as long as you realize what the show is really about... enjoy it as any entertainment show.

We casted for the Couture Fashionweek a few hundred girls here in NYC.
Out of those over 300 models we saw over the course of a few weeks... we needed models that are without heels about 5'10" (the shortest girl we selected was 5'9",  the tallest 6'2") and all their dress sizes were 0-4.

We selected just over 90 models for our shows.

Each one of them,  could have been a match for ANTM,  and we saw only over 300 girls...
So,  I think it's fair to say that among a Million hopeful applicants... they should be able to pick a handfull... really top models... who actually have a great chance in the industry after the seasons are over.

Hell... each dropout... would have an immediate chance to walk the runway for any other agency or designer out there.

All the best

UdoR

This makes a lot of sense. Every season there are only a few girls who I think are actually attractive, let alone model material. I'm always left thinking, "You mean out of all the girls who auditioned for the show, these are the ones with the most potential?!" I never believed that. I've seen girls with more potential while riding the subway.

May 21 06 08:20 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If I have to hear a damn plug for Cover Girl's newest mascara or listen to Tyra go on about her days of modeling in Paris one more time... damn you AMNTM! I hate and love you at the same time!

May 22 06 01:23 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Brett Michael Nelson wrote:
7) I've watched with frustration many times during photo critique when models get ripped apart for errors that the photographer made.  Many times there is wierd cropping and they look at the girl like it's HER fault.

I've said this since season #1

May 22 06 07:45 am Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

Brett Michael Nelson wrote:
8)On the same issue, it's usually impossible to find one perfect frame.  Usually the pose is great in one shot, the face in another, etc.  and you blend the shots together.  It is just unrealistic to judge a shoot and a model from just one frame.

Not disagreeing with you as to the final product of a shoot.  However, I believe the arguement could be made that because the show is about judging the skills of the model, them not posing their body and face right at the same time is reflective of their modeling skills.  I mean, I have shot one or two models who have nailed just about every shot...face great, body great...in some cases, the only issue with the shot was a shadow "I" didn't see in the frame when shooting...etc.  Again, only a couple in the many, many I have shot.  But I am guessing that a "super-model" which I agree none of them will ever be, should nail shot after shot and the issues with the frames should only be those of the photographers.

May 22 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

nathan combs

Waynesboro, Virginia, US

Americas Next Top Model a fake now your going to tell me pro-wresling is fake too and no easter bunny sad i do not have cable nore do i have an atna hooked up to my tv so i can not get any tv stations (i rent a lot of moves) because of the trash such as this show that is on now since i been shooting (1993 not long i know lol) i have only seen 1 person that would fit the criteria for a runway model (i live in a small town in a farming community) and her "boyfriend" was a jerk so no go there it sounds like this show is nothing has no meaning what so ever and needs to be taken off the air and some good tv put back on

May 22 06 08:25 am Link

Model

Lenora Jayne

New York, New York, US

Electra T wrote:

I actually like it, it suited her unlike that cassandra girl from last season..she had a right to be pissed...Mollie sue got signed to elite btw..at 24, awesome

I loved Mollie Sue's hair! I'm so glad she got signed. big_smile

Does anyone know what happened to Kim, from the season before? She was so awesome.

May 22 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

UdoR wrote:
Yeah, my makeup was done backstage at Heatherette by the guy who did Naomi's makeup, I just had to wait until he finished her... which took a long time, since she was bitching to someone on her cellphone... tongue

Naomi? Udo surely you're not the guy that sat in a NY hotel room [about 5, or so, years ago] with several assistants; an MUA; a hair stylist; and a fashion stylist waiting for her NOT to show up for three or four days. Or are you?

If you were the photographer... come on admit it.

I, personally have only one word to describe that woman, it has four letters, starts with "c" and ends with "t".  She would even bitch about a free lunch.  LOL

Studio36

May 22 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

nathan combs wrote:
Americas Next Top Model a fake now your going to tell me pro-wresling is fake too and no easter bunny sad i do not have cable nore do i have an atna hooked up to my tv so i can not get any tv stations (i rent a lot of moves) because of the trash such as this show that is on now since i been shooting (1993 not long i know lol) i have only seen 1 person that would fit the criteria for a runway model (i live in a small town in a farming community) and her "boyfriend" was a jerk so no go there it sounds like this show is nothing has no meaning what so ever and needs to be taken off the air and some good tv put back on

Overall , we would probably be better off without tv ( we'd might have to go back to reading , interacting with people , thinking for  ourselves ) but in these times
I think it is important to be aware of tv - the information and mis information that is televised and how it affects out attitudes , values etc

May 22 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

nathan combs wrote:

Overall , we would  all probably be better off without tv ( we'd might have to go back to reading , interacting with people , thinking for  ourselves ) but in these times
I think it is important to be aware of tv - the information and mis information that is televised and how it affects out attitudes , values etc

May 22 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

nathan combs wrote:

Overall , we would  all probably be better off without tv ( we'd might have to go back to reading , interacting with people , thinking for  ourselves ) but in these times

May 22 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

Kris Rae

Franklin, Tennessee, US

So, not that I've read all the threads, but have any of you actually been on a huge production in NYC where there are film crews zipping through photo shoots?  If not, I have... specificly (and most relavant to this thread) I have been a photo assistant to James Russell as he was shooting for Heidi Klum's German version of ANTM.  And let me tell you its not fake at all.  Regardless of the circumstance in how the girls were chosen and whatever "drama" they face in their quarters during the show, these girls are out there, working and freezing thier asses off (in this case it was on a Brooklyn pier in late November) while about 40+ people look on.  There are DP's, PAs, MUAs, Stylists, Producers, etc., etc. looking on, sometimes giving direction, all the while they (the models) have to focus and become relaxed and build a relationship with the photographer for the brief 7-15 minutes they appear in front of his lens before they are too cold to do anythign but shiver (seeing as how they are wearing next to nothing.) Oh, and did I mention the tourists too? Yeah.

So, whatever your opinions, show some respect.  ANY model, no matter her age or whether she has a the body shape for runway or only for product promotions in front of Wal-Mart deserves as much respect as the rest.  Regardless of what you think of Ms. Banks, she is doing a service to the girls on her show no matter what personal gain she gets from it.  Without her those 10 girls wouldn't have had their opportunity to make it big.  We're all trying to pursue a dream; whether you are in NYC, LA, Milan, or in Backwater, Kansas, do that, and let other people do it too.  If you don't like the show, don't watch it.  Or, instead watch it only for the photo shoot scenes and learn something.  1st episode of the 1st season, I wasin college still and I saw Douglas Bizzaro and Elizabeth Moss shooting, and you know what, I've worked with them now!  So... it's not your place to be a critic to the efforts and work of others.

May 23 06 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Kris Rae

Franklin, Tennessee, US

Rich Mohr wrote:
I agree with you 100%!
People need to remember that TV is mostly for entertainment...  smile
ANTM is NOT a guidebook for the real live modeling world!

Rich

Remember, Rich, the real live modeling world is different for each person.  Some people work with straight-up, true blue talented photographers in NYC and LA and get signed to major agencies.  Some girls work with Mr. Sleeze in Tallgrass, AZ with a Nikon D50 with a Quantaray lens and end up with their T&A prominantly featured in every shot.

Its relative.  All we can do is educate them to the ideal situation... but the real live world is far from ideals.

May 23 06 08:22 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Sean Armenta wrote:

I am new to MM , and am enjoying it very much -including the discussion component
Thought I would start my own thread - Top 10 Reasons why "Americas Next Top Model "is fake -in relation to the real high fashion world  ( hope this hasnt been done before ....Please feel free to add to my list of the  first five reasons

try reading first smile

That's not what I meant...it seemed like no one could add the other 5. That's all.

But it is a reality show. Isn't that the ONLY reason?

May 23 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Kris Rae

Franklin, Tennessee, US

Christina Ilise wrote:
This makes a lot of sense. Every season there are only a few girls who I think are actually attractive, let alone model material. I'm always left thinking, "You mean out of all the girls who auditioned for the show, these are the ones with the most potential?!" I never believed that. I've seen girls with more potential while riding the subway.

So, you've never worked with a model who when she walked into your studio you thought "Is this the same girl who I book off her comp card?" and then after a few moments in the MUA's chair you see her and think "Oh, there she is."  The fact is that not every model looks like she has "classic" potential off the street.  And alot of the girls on the subway these days are quite talented at make-up artistry themselves... I wonder what they look like when they role out of bed in the morning.  Do you think that everyone who works in beauty and fashion is beautiful and fashionable 24/7?

May 23 06 08:27 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Electra T wrote:

I actually like it, it suited her unlike that cassandra girl from last season..she had a right to be pissed...Mollie sue got signed to elite btw..at 24, awesome

That's really good to hear about Mollie Sue- I thought she was stunning.

May 23 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

ANTM is real
and Jack Baur was kidnapped last night and President Logan shall resign.
and tonight Dr. House kills a patient.
and Taylor wins AI by popular vote.

May 23 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

It's a dumbass popular show. Kind of like a Jerry Springer bashfest for models targeted for female Bevis & Butthead audiences.

Kill your TV

Otherwise, open a big box of bon-bons, sit back and enoy it.

May 23 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Isys Entertainment wrote:
Yo dawg I heard you had a dope production house waz up wit lettin me rep dat..

I can go in da hood and give flya's to all da homies

Hire me! im fresh to def and the peeps think im fly..

I make it do what it do baby

ROFLMAO, sorry I could not resist

Damn, you're good!

I couldn't resist reading that with rap rhythm .... and rap makes me nauseous.

LMAO2

May 23 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Michael Kirst

Los Angeles, California, US

Of course it's all crap......but it's what the 'sheep' of America want to see. Like the Simpons. My only hope is to be one of the photogs used on the show so that I can get paid a lot for taking some crappy photos and have half of America remember my name for doing it!! Yipeeeeeee!

Ok my top ten..that is what the post is all about right?

1. Tyra's put on some weight huh?

2. If she gives the little infomercial about what the girls will get if they win one more time, I am gonna wretch!

3. None of these girls are cute in any way except Mollie Sue...but they took care of that early on didn't they? Heh

4. Damn dude, Tyra HAS put on a little poundage (talking to myself). Let's see her do a V.S. runway show now. teee heeee

5. Despite the poundage she does have a crack team making her the money. Do you really think she came up with this show idea? What network is it on again...hmmm.

6. Oh for Godsakes I can't go on anymore..... = )

Ok so they weren't really so much ideas as to why the show is fake but they are truths told today here on MM. Enjoy......

May 23 06 10:47 am Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

I didnt make it. Thats one reason! -_-

May 23 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Electra T wrote:
Dani. "I hate muslims, I hate gays, whats up with affirmative action"..she does realize that 1/4 of panel is gay??

Maybe she meant happy people and not homosexuals?

May 23 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

valmontte wrote:
So, not that I've read all the threads, but have any of you actually been on a huge production in NYC where there are film crews zipping through photo shoots?  If not, I have... specificly (and most relavant to this thread) I have been a photo assistant to James Russell as he was shooting for Heidi Klum's German version of ANTM.  And let me tell you its not fake at all.....

My Response to Valmontte ( with respect that he is actually working  in the business )

So you are saying that 1) supermodels are being discovered between the ages of 22-25 - in the real fashion world 2 ) that 5'7 models  who dont come from  wealthy familes have a chance in the real fashion world 3 ) the playing field of  modelling
opportunites is equal of models of all races and cultures.... etc etc etc

Certainly the minor elements of the show ( ie fashion shoots ,fashion shows ) have some basis in reality - but that is  not what is being spoken about here . It is the false /misleading /inaccurate themes and messages of ATM that I am speaking about ( and  not that I think that these themes /messages are bad - they are just misleading to teh general public ) ...The real  high fashion world is very elitist and entrance to it is limited to those who have money , conform to the very narrow standards set by that elite ( who think they can read the  mentality and attitudes and preferences  of the masses ) , and  few else

May 23 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

studio36uk wrote:

Naomi? Udo surely you're not the guy that sat in a NY hotel room [about 5, or so, years ago] with several assistants; an MUA; a hair stylist; and a fashion stylist waiting for her NOT to show up for three or four days. Or are you?

If you were the photographer... come on admit it.

I, personally have only one word to describe that woman, it has four letters, starts with "c" and ends with "t".  She would even bitch about a free lunch.  LOL

Studio36

LOL... wasn't me... seriously!

But at OFW, don't remember the season... one of the seasons last year... could have been the one in February... when JLo did her show, taped by MTV... the entire press corps was waiting for an hour in the photographers holding area... and they let us wait... and wait.... and wait... then we saw the audience walking in... and we all had no idea what's going on... (normally we get in way before the audience to set up etc.).

The Olympus staff didn't tell us anything and then the show started... the mofo's of JLo didn't inform the media that we won't be let in (only a handfull made it in), a film crew of MSNBC filmed the photographers... "How do you feel?"... the press corps transformed into a presschoir..."J-Lo SUCKS!"... and she was boo'd out etc.

We could have covered three other shows if we would have been informed... really sucked.

That's my only time when I had to wait seriously.

May 23 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

My friend tried out for the show and made it to the 4th round (sheesh! wonder if there's more than that!) and she was told that she looked too much like a "model" and got cut. No lie!

May 23 06 11:06 pm Link

Model

kmo

Los Angeles, California, US

Garry k wrote:

So I picked up the May 2006 American Vogue and broke it down in terms of the ethnicity of all models feaured both in adverts , editorials and general filler ( columns ) Here is my count

White female models ( and actresses)  - 190

Black- 6 ( most fair skinned )

Chinese -1 ( p134 )

Latin and  other -7

These results even shocked me , I didnt think there was that great an inequity .....

that is a damn shame!  i am very surprised at these numbers.

May 23 06 11:22 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

kowens wrote:

that is a damn shame!  i am very surprised at these numbers.

Yes , we need to see more models like you in these magazines

May 24 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Christina Ilise

valmontte wrote:

So, you've never worked with a model who when she walked into your studio you thought "Is this the same girl who I book off her comp card?" and then after a few moments in the MUA's chair you see her and think "Oh, there she is."  The fact is that not every model looks like she has "classic" potential off the street.  And alot of the girls on the subway these days are quite talented at make-up artistry themselves... I wonder what they look like when they role out of bed in the morning.  Do you think that everyone who works in beauty and fashion is beautiful and fashionable 24/7?

Of course I don't think anyone is fashionable 24/7. When I talk about beautiful girls I see in the street, I'm not referring to the ones with lots of makeup and long hair weaves. Who knows what they really look like? I am talking about natural beauty. I just think that every season there are only a few girls that I actually see as "model pretty" makeup or not. That's just my opinion though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

May 24 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Garry k

Christina Ilise wrote:

Of course I don't think anyone is fashionable 24/7. When I talk about beautiful girls I see in the street, I'm not referring to the ones with lots of makeup and long hair weaves. Who knows what they really look like? I am talking about natural beauty. I just think that every season there are only a few girls that I actually see as "model pretty" makeup or not. That's just my opinion though. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Sometimes the best models look pretty but plain with out their makeup ( like blank canvassas awaiting the painter brush ) but even with a little makeu p - boom !

I remember seeing / meeting the Hong Kong Supermodel Qi Qi once when she  arrived  backstage for a fashion show . Almost though she was a  man ( or a tranny ) as she looked more handsome than pretty and she is 6 feet tall - but the makeup completly transformed her .....

May 24 06 11:07 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

AJ Bella wrote:
My friend tried out for the show and made it to the 4th round (sheesh! wonder if there's more than that!) and she was told that she looked too much like a "model" and got cut. No lie!

Really? That is crazy. I bet she was upset.

May 24 06 11:20 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Constance Hilory wrote:

Really? That is crazy. I bet she was upset.

She was more ticked off then anything. That was when we pretty much came to the same conclusion: that the show is nothin but what it says it is: a "reality" show.

Plus she's the typical 'waif' as they term it now. I'm sure on ANTM they would never put a 'waif' lookin chick on there. Its true what someone said. They want girls that the audience can relate too. But isn't that what is the complete opposite of what the real modeling world is about?

May 25 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

AJ Bella wrote:

She was more ticked off then anything. That was when we pretty much came to the same conclusion: that the show is nothin but what it says it is: a "reality" show.

Plus she's the typical 'waif' as they term it now. I'm sure on ANTM they would never put a 'waif' lookin chick on there. Its true what someone said. They want girls that the audience can relate too. But isn't that what is the complete opposite of what the real modeling world is about?

Silly isn't it? Glad that your friend understood and did not take it personally. I had two friends make it to the third "round" and when they did not get called back they went into fits. Did not want to go out because they were "ugly" and so on and so forth.....I told them it was not a "real modeling show" which was why I did not go with them in the first place. Nonetheless, they still are not the same as they were before the "ANTM Feasico."

May 25 06 12:37 am Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

When a girl gets booted off, shes so nice and calm about it, in reality, one of them at least would of told them "f... you, you will one day see your huge mistake you B....... " in a regected rage.

Lucy.

And surely one of them would of decked Janice!

May 25 06 02:07 am Link