Forums > General Industry > Do nude images all look the same after a while?

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

jerantino wrote:
I think we could use some pudding here about now...

*whips up a chocolate pudding pie. Adds whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles to the top*
Everybody, dig in!

May 19 06 01:03 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
The real question is:  Do all anti-nude rants disguised as "honest" questions look the same?

Answer:  Yes they do.

Only if they aren't asked with artistry or creativity. smile

mjr.

May 19 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Jerry de Lisle Photo wrote:
In my opinion 99.9% of them do look the same. Very few photographers can pull it off.
Probably why I don't even bother anymore. Not that I'm opposed to nudity, but throw some clothing into the mix and the image becomes much more interesting IMHO.

Prudes used to be a lot slicker back in the day.  This isn't even worth thinking up a snappy comeback for.

May 19 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

RichMiamiPhoto

Miami, Florida, US

T H Taylor wrote:
You can have a model standing there in a beautiful pinstripe Armani suit "tastfully dressed" but,
If you have her smoking a 12 inch black dildo like a cigar....
P.S. No one steal my suit/dildo idea!   wink

You'd better hurry.  All I need now to get this done are
   1. a 12-incher
   2. a beautiful pinstripe Armani, and
   3. a willing model (any takers?)

But don't worry, I'll credit you with the idea...        wink

May 19 06 01:27 pm Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

nudes are boring and do loook all the same,  waht's not boring is creatiely putting SOME clothing around.

I prefer shooting guys shirtless because it opens my time period options onmy art , and you dont' tell them, "take the shirtoff and sit there", you give them something like  stick or a book to play with, and it makes "magic" happen..

May 20 06 06:42 pm Link

Model

Ivy Jo

Amarillo, Texas, US

Some nudity isnt a bad thing, done in moderation it can enhance a portfolio; shows your body lines without anything to disguise them, shows you're comfortable in front of the camera, the breadth of your work. Mu problem comes when a model/photographers only shoots nudes. At that point, I have a hard time seperating the models talent from the photographers talent, and both of these from just plain biology.

May 20 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Ivy Bressler wrote:
Mu problem comes when a model/photographers only shoots nudes. At that point, I have a hard time seperating the models talent from the photographers talent, and both of these from just plain biology.

"Subtle and insubstantial, the Expert leaves no trace."

Sun Tzu,

"The Art of War"

One thing I've learned from being a photographer and musician is that when you're really good at what you do...it looks like you're not doing anything.  In a way your comment is the ultimate compliment to nude models and photographers alike.

May 21 06 06:23 am Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

after a while, all (crappy or mediocre) photography just seems to look the same.

what 'sticks out' is work done with an artistic eye. And it doesn't matter to me if they are nudes or clothed. I have a lot easier time concentrating on figure studies than gold lame bathing suit shots however.
Also, in my experience, photographers who are proud of their nude/erotic work are a lot less creepy than the photographers who do glammer or do partially nude work but are afraid to post it, due to the fact that it is bad upskirt shots.

May 21 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
The  run down to Best Buy, get an XT, get a butt shot crowd is all going to look alike.
Once you learn to avoid these and see really god stuff than your appreciation will increase.

I didn't buy my photo gear at Best Buy, and I don't have an XT. (I'm not entirely sure what an XT even refers to.)

However, I do have a butt shot in my portfolio:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060518/12/446caec8cdebd_m.jpg(Click for larger version.)

Does this make my portfolio boring and without merit?

Does it make me look like the XT owning, Best Buy patronizing crowd?

May 21 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Simple solution:

Those who like nudes: shoot them

Those who do not like nudes:  do not shoot them

May 21 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Brian Hillburn

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

T H Taylor wrote:
You can have a model standing there in a beautiful pinstripe Armani suit "tastfully dressed" but,
If you have her smoking a 12 inch black dildo like a cigar... Is it still a tasteful shot??

It's what you, the shooter, choses to do creatively that matters, not what the model is or is not wearing.  Puritanical bullshit is what gets boring.

P.S. No one steal my suit/dildo idea!   wink

I love TH and his sense of humor. Make mental note to self. Stop by adult fun store this evening for 12 inch dildo. (smile)

May 21 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

Joeys Angels wrote:
Simple solution:

Those who like nudes: shoot them

Those who do not like nudes:  do not shoot them

GENIUS! Simple Genius. Ya'll should be listening to this boy.

May 21 06 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Brian Hillburn wrote:

I love TH and his sense of humor. Make mental note to self. Stop by adult fun store this evening for 12 inch dildo. (smile)

I thought you owned several of these things; did the ex leave her supply?

May 21 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Glenn Tucker

Hamilton, Hamilton, Bermuda

I agree nudes are getting a bit boring but a model who poses nuded is one with their body, both male and female, and their confidenece brings the photo too life.

May 21 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Glen Berry wrote:

I didn't buy my photo gear at Best Buy, and I don't have an XT. (I'm not entirely sure what an XT even refers to.)

However, I do have a butt shot in my portfolio:

https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060518/12/446caec8cdebd_m.jpg(Click for larger version.)

Does this make my portfolio boring and without merit?

Does it make me look like the XT owning, Best Buy patronizing crowd?

that shot shows color , form and perspective! that is not what the discussion is about.
we are talking about repeating the same butt shots over and over.

May 21 06 12:40 pm Link

Photographer

Timekeeper Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

If your good, no, they don't look the same.

May 21 06 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

myviewfinder

Boulder, Colorado, US

I know what you mean... I wonder if this has to do with the fact that digital photography has accelerated the learning curve and now just about anyone can shoot a decent nude portrait after reading a couple of books and investing a few thousand dollars.  So with a glut of mid-level images on the market it feels like a rare experience to view a nude with a fresh artistic angle...

Your sentiment is part of what prompted my thread...
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=48175

May 24 06 07:37 pm Link