Forums > General Industry > To not respond is not a cancellation

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

The way I see it is that we are all independant contractors... we are all a business. I don't think that a poor business recommendation would mean somebody can sue for slander.

I do think it is a bad idea to make a flake list, because, it makes you seem unprofessional. If a model doesnt show, don't contact them again and move on. When you are asking people to shoot for free that is always a chance that you take. When you cast off a website (like OMP or MM), especially ones that have more amatuers than professionals... that is a chance that you take. They don't have much of a career or reputation at stake and no agency to answer to.

So in a way, you kinda set yourself up for that.

If you get flaked on, chances are you are not the only one and word will get around on it's own. The industry is very small. Then again there are also legit times where REAL emergencies come up and calling to cancel on a test shoot might be the furthest thing from their minds.

May 20 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Star

May 20 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

vanWingo

Lawrenceville, Georgia, US

C R Photography wrote:
Woah! Nothing screams "Sue Me" louder than a threat of premeditated slander.

In the immortal words of Perry Mason, "In any action for slander, the truth is a valid defense."

May 20 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Star wrote:
If you have applied for a shoot, gotten the information for the shoot, and confirmed your date and time a week ago please don't think "well if I don't respond to the photographers emails after that they will know I am not coming."

That is the worst type of flaking. You are putting not only the photographer but the other models, the MUA and hairstylist out. You are also letting the photog promise one thing and deliver another.

I had a similar situation with a client recently.

We've made an appointment two weeks ahead and the client didn't respond to either my emails or phone calls for confirmation.

Since I didn't get any feedback, I had to cancel the MUA and fashiondesigner for the fitting about 36 hours before, since I found it irresponsible to hold their time without having any callback or email answer.

The day the fitting was supposed to be (day before the shoot) the client called me and asked if all is set for Saturday? (Fitting was supposed to be Thursday, shoot on Friday!)

So, we had to reschedule the whole shoot.

The moral of my story is that I think communication is paramount, especially in the days before a shoot and that is for all parties involved.

If any of the participants of the shoot is contacting the "director" (photographer) the photographer and all the other ones have to respond to each other and frankly, I see no reason why one of the parties should simply be ignored.

But, a model who "cancells" the shoot by ignoring email should be told off and left in the dirt!

May 20 06 10:58 am Link

Model

Englishman In L.A.

Star wrote:
Just lost a model for tomorrow, Jumper, because he booked paid work. So on the website it would look like this

Model: Jumper
Notice: Email, 24 hour
Reason Given: Booked paying work

90% of the 'models' on this site aren't 'Proffessional Models' anyway, some goes for the photogs...I'd say less then 10% of the people on this site actually earn their living from Modeling / photography/MU etc...so unprofessional nehaviour is expected from most...it's what happens when you use the words TFP and non pay. The reverse situations also occur. I have been contacted numerous times by various photogs who want to shoot with me, shoots are planned..even dates set...then they dissapear etc....FLAKE CENTRAL! The only people that are assured not to flake are pro's..because they are getting paid (actually..even pay doesn't preditermine non-flakeyness!!) Just double book as usual Babe, and if one doesn't show..there is someone there to cover...
p.s. MUA's flake also...it's happened to us....

May 20 06 12:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Paid jobs always will trump non-paid jobs and I make that very clear when people ask me to test. Even 24 hours notice (which is usually about as much notice as I get for jobs) is understandable.

This is why I don't book a lot of tests.

May 20 06 07:45 pm Link

Photographer

Star

rachelrose wrote:
Paid jobs always will trump non-paid jobs and I make that very clear when people ask me to test. Even 24 hours notice (which is usually about as much notice as I get for jobs) is understandable.

This is why I don't book a lot of tests.

See that makes sense. If it was something important to me I would probably not book you alone, BUT, when a model contavts me. I set something up and nothing in his port or his messages lets me know he is still looking for other work well that ticks me off

May 21 06 12:08 am Link

Model

Jumper

Crestline, California, US

Good Grief!  Yah, I contacted you.  Yes, I love your work and desired to shoot with you again.  Yes, I am always looking for paid work (aren't we all, isn't that why we do TFP in the first place?, to get paid work?)  Yes, I got paid work and had to cancel my TFP with you.  Yes, I sent you notice, 24 hours in advance.  Yes, that is when I learned I got the paid job.  Yes, I felt bad for having to cancel with you, but I also knew you had booked three other models for that day, and I didn't think I was a huge factor involved in your shoot in the first place, so I figured you would be fine, and also understanding.  Yes, I would totally bet if you were offered a nice paying gig that day, the models would be canceled lickity split.  Yes, I am curious to know what the set fee is on an abandoned house.  Yes, I know if you book volunteers, you have to be a wee bit flexible.  Yes, I know you don't pay your models. 

May 21 06 12:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Star wrote:

See that makes sense. If it was something important to me I would probably not book you alone, BUT, when a model contavts me. I set something up and nothing in his port or his messages lets me know he is still looking for other work well that ticks me off

I just dont think that you should hold a paying gig against somebody. I mean, it's not like all the money is wasted. You could always just reschedule or find another model to fill in. There have been shoots that I have initiated that I have had to cancel before, because of paid work. I just think that a flake list, might backfire on you and that a lot of models would not be interested in working with you. I mean, god forbid their car breaks down or something and they can't make it to the shoot, thats obnoxious enough but then to have to worry about somebody posting about it on the internet is just icing on the cake. I don't worry too much about flakes because I don't test a whole lot and when I do it is with agency models and photographers who have relationships with the agencies. So if a girl has something come up... there are like 5 other options a phone call away.

May 21 06 12:51 pm Link