Forums > General Industry > To not respond is not a cancellation

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

If you have applied for a shoot, gotten the information for the shoot, and confirmed your date and time a week ago please don't think "well if I don't respond to the photographers emails after that they will know I am not coming."

That is the worst type of flaking. You are putting not only the photographer but the other models, the MUA and hairstylist out. You are also letting the photog promise one thing and deliver another.

So now I am finally doing it. You are on notice. You confirm and then stop responding to emails and not show up you are being put on a very very public flake list. I will link to it from my MM profile.

So hopefully, you will show up,

Star

May 16 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Star wrote:
If you have applied for a shoot, gotten the information for the shoot, and confirmed your date and time a week ago please don't think "well if I don't respond to the photographers emails after that they will know I am not coming."

That is the worst type of flaking. You are putting not only the photographer but the other models, the MUA and hairstylist out. You are also letting the photog promise one thing and deliver another.

So now I am finally doing it. You are on notice. You confirm and then stop responding to emails and not show up you are being put on a very very public flake list. I will link to it from my MM profile.

Star

Woah!

Nothing screams "Sue Me" louder than a threat of premeditated slander.

May 16 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Star wrote:

Star

well said, to not respond is not a cancellation,its just rude and ignorant.

May 16 06 05:57 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

Star wrote:

Star

well said, to not respond is not a cancellation,its just rude and ignorant.

May 16 06 05:58 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

A N O T H E R post on flaky models???????

In the words of the Arby's oven mitt:
"Will it ever end???????????"
https://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_14.gif

May 16 06 05:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Star wrote:

That is the worst type of flaking. You are putting not only the photographer but the other models, the MUA and hairstylist out. You are also letting the photog promise one thing and deliver another...

This is so very, very veryveryveryveryveryveryvery true.

Did I mention that this is so true?

May 16 06 06:04 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Nobody has flaked yet. This is talking about presumed flaking.

I feel if you want to sue me than you are welcome to it. Come take my cat and my broken car. I wish you good luck with them.

Slander is only a lie. In CA I could very well be sued for writing the truth BUT if your contractor didn't show up for a contracted job you could contact the BBB. Model are way too used to being able to do what they want. And guess what, I have no money. You can't bleed a stone.

From now on models are getting the above notice when we start talking about shooting. I will be saving all messages between us. If they choose not to show up than it is obvious that they understand the consequences.

The site will just be a model, her picture, and her reason for not coming. If no reason given or just  stop in communication than that will be listed.

Everytime I set up a shoot and people don't show up it hurts my reputation. It also hurts my pocketbook, sets aren't free. I don't have time for this anymore.

So yes another thread on flakey models and angry photographers. Oh well, it sucks to be you. Or me. Or the models who screw me over.

Star

May 16 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

On my website it says:

Cancellation Policy
Last-minute cancellations and "no shows" by models are a serious problem. For that reason, I ask that models reconfirm their photo shoots with me by telephone the day beforehand. Regretfully I must cancel photo shoots if I have not received telephone reconfirmation from all models by 8 PM the prior evening. I cannot ask the studio staff to be there unless I am assured that the models will show up. Nobody is paid in the event of a cancellation, regardless of cause.

May 16 06 06:05 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

C R Photography wrote:

Woah!

The truth is an absolute defense against slander/libel.

May 16 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

Star wrote:
That is the worst type of flaking.

Ok, I know it's cruel but dont you think you're overreacting here? I mean honestly, you're talking about models not accountants here, when I used to deal with them I would just assume they'd flake out.

Luckily I never had to book more than two for a shoot but I think that if I did, I would also keep a spare or two on speed dial.

c.

May 16 06 06:07 pm Link

Model

Just AJ

Round Rock, Texas, US

C R Photography wrote:
Woah!

Brian Diaz wrote:

https://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_17_2.gif

May 16 06 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

ms-photo

Portland, Oregon, US

C R Photography wrote:
Woah!

Well technically it's Libel since it's written and not spoken.  They always say, truth is is an absolute protection against libel.

You might want to learn a little bit about the law before giving out free legal advice.

Anyway if a model is too flaky to show up for a shoot, I wouldn't be too worried about her finding the money to hire someone to file a nuisance lawsuit on her behalf. 

When some idiot threatens to sue you, quickest way to shut them down is to say "great, send me your lawyer's contact information so I can have my lawyer start working on it" and you will never hear from them again.  Works every time.

May 16 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Star

thisismyurl wrote:
Ok, I know it's cruel but dont you think you're overreacting here? I mean honestly, you're talking about models not accountants here, when I used to deal with them I would just assume they'd flake out.

Luckily I never had to book more than two for a shoot but I think that if I did, I would also keep a spare or two on speed dial.

c.

The MUA'S who test with me are normally paid and are doing me a favor to shoot with me for no  money or just money for gas. They are however getting a form of compensation, the images from the shoot.

Tomorrow I am doing a kabuki shoot. I started talking with the models two weeks ago. The make-up artist really wants these shots in her book. If only one out of three girls shows up than I am not providing the payment I promised.

And while it is only like $60 the money I spent on shoot specific props and the full day of time it took to find the props are also wasted if only one model shows up.

Finally, all I ask is that you stop reading the MM messages asking if you are ok and coming, and not responding. So now I am double booking, but what do I do if 4 or 5 girls show up? The MUA cannot handle that many and shouldn't have to.

She will be angry at me for double booking. And rightly so. All of this is being caused by the model. They have way too much control right now, I just want a little of it back,

Star

May 16 06 06:29 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

C R Photography wrote:

Woah!

There is nothing slanderous about putting someone on such a list, as long as there are no factual lies associated with it.

May 16 06 06:31 pm Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Hey! I was going to make a similiar list and went on a local message board and got slammed. They stated that I will get lawsuits and a bad reputation as a photographer. They said models wouldn't want to shoot with me.

I don't understand how to stop this. The only response I get are that photographers are flaky too. Out of my 100 shoots, only ONE didn't go through on my part and it's b/c I got mugged (sliced with a knife)  and miscounted my emails sent out canceling the shoot. I offered to pay for time (even though it was TFP) but the mother bashed me.

So I don't know if it's karma for the ONE time that happened but I am sure some of the older photographers miss the days that models paid us and not take advantage of our talent.

May 16 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dawnie wrote:
Hey! I was going to make a similiar list and went on a local message board and got slammed. They stated that I will get lawsuits and a bad reputation as a photographer. They said models wouldn't want to shoot with me.

I don't understand how to stop this. The only response I get are that photographers are flaky too. Out of my 100 shoots, only ONE didn't go through on my part and it's b/c I got mugged (sliced with a knife)  and miscounted my emails sent out canceling the shoot. I offered to pay for time (even though it was TFP) but the mother bashed me.

So I don't know if it's karma for the ONE time that happened but I am sure some of the older photographers miss the days that models paid us and not take advantage of our talent.

30 years ago when I first started shooting "models," they didn't show up most of the time.  Nothing has changed.

May 16 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Star wrote:

The MUA'S who test with me are normally paid and are doing me a favor to shoot with me for no  money or just money for gas. They are however getting a form of compensation, the images from the shoot.

Tomorrow I am doing a kabuki shoot. I started talking with the models two weeks ago. The make-up artist really wants these shots in her book. If only one out of three girls shows up than I am not providing the payment I promised.

And while it is only like $60 the money I spent on shoot specific props and the full day of time it took to find the props are also wasted if only one model shows up.

Finally, all I ask is that you stop reading the MM messages asking if you are ok and coming, and not responding. So now I am double booking, but what do I do if 4 or 5 girls show up? The MUA cannot handle that many and shouldn't have to.

She will be angry at me for double booking. And rightly so. All of this is being caused by the model. They have way too much control right now, I just want a little of it back,

Star

Here you have someone who has not only spent
time but is also out money.  The only way for people to treated as profesionals
is to demand it.  If you will have the expense of renting props and paying a
MUA then its time for the models to pay a deposit of some sort.  Star you have
the talent and the drive but sometimes we can be too nice.  You shouldn't have to double book.  You shouldn't have to call models or hope they show up.  This
isn't, a no big deal if ya show or not shoot.  This is, waste not only my time but
you've wasted money and someone elses time.  So next shoot.  If you do any
sort of audition have those 'intrested' models fork over some refundable $$$
make it a small amount.  They can't make it to you, well paypal is a option or
even a mailed money order but no shoots untill they do.  Yes it may limit the
models you work with but those that send it in are almost a lock for showing up.
Explain if you care too about why you  do it but start setting guidelines.
Models do all the time and they expect YOU to follow them.

May 16 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Dawnie wrote:

The website www.no-shows.com was a good resource, but it only took one bad person to ruin it.

May 16 06 07:59 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Matt Schneider wrote:

Well technically it's Libel since it's written and not spoken.  They always say, truth is is an absolute protection against libel.

You might want to learn a little bit about the law before giving out free legal advice.

Anyway if a model is too flaky to show up for a shoot, I wouldn't be too worried about her finding the money to hire someone to file a nuisance lawsuit on her behalf. 

When some idiot threatens to sue you, quickest way to shut them down is to say "great, send me your lawyer's contact information so I can have my lawyer start working on it" and you will never hear from them again.  Works every time.

Nail + Hammer = See quoted post.

May 16 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Just lost a model for tomorrow, Jumper, because he booked paid work. So on the website it would look like this

Model: Jumper
Notice: Email, 24 hour
Reason Given: Booked paying work

May 18 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

No show No call. No worse than that.

May 18 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Can't argue, dropped threads get SOOOO under my skin..

Odd way of showing how much.. Had a model cancel on me just yesterday.. I was SO happy she actually let me know I almost sent her a thank you..

On the other hand this place has got my perspective jaded.. She canceled, gave a reason..  I told her I was sorry and hoped all was well.. Then wrote back, saying, "on the other hand if you just changed your mind and were looking for a polite way.... I'd rather you told me straight out...."

Then I hoped all was well again..  Because if the reason given was real I'd just exposed myself as a dickhead..

C'est La Vie..  (I think that's German for, "I like pie!")  wink

May 18 06 09:11 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

Its a never ending battle indeed

May 18 06 09:21 am Link

Model

Kemara

Tavares, Florida, US

Star wrote:

Star

I just had this happen... a shoot was confirmed, and for 5 days b4 the shoot I didn't hear from the photographer... I had the whole day open for this shoot... then just nothing... Needless to say I STILL haven't heard from him sad

May 18 06 09:32 am Link

Photographer

DaG

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Why don't you guys take a deposit? Set up a paypal account, require a deposit at least 72 hours before the shoot (even for TFP shoots). If they don't pay their deposit before 72 hours you know 3 days in advance the shoot isn't happening. If they pay the deposit and don't show up then you've just made money for doing nothing.

Danny

May 18 06 09:45 am Link

Model

Randee

West Branch, Michigan, US

Kemara wrote:
I just had this happen... a shoot was confirmed, and for 5 days b4 the shoot I didn't hear from the photographer... I had the whole day open for this shoot... then just nothing... Needless to say I STILL haven't heard from him sad

As did I - I've even shot with this Photographer before!!  I sent him my email, cell phone and even told hime to call as late as he had to, but still nothing!  And, just like Kemara, still haven't heard anything....and we are supposed to shoot 13 days ago!!!

IT IS NOT just models!!!

May 18 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Matt Schneider wrote:

What legal advise?

I was not quoting any law or any statute or responding to any type of direct questions.

I merely stated that slander would be the primary cause of an action placed against her.

Matt Schneider wrote:

Are you a lawyer?

Why are you telling someone to state that they have a lawyer, when they may not?

What if the bluff is blown and you get served in a few weeks?

Don't tell me about legal advise when I'm clearly not giving it!

And please, stop giving out legal advise yourself!

Matt Schneider wrote:

The Harvard Law periodical defines the following:
Slander - Spoken defamation which tends to injure a person's reputation. (See libel.)
Libel - Published defamation which tends to injure a person's reputation.

Technically you may be right, however who is they and where are you getting your information from?

May 18 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

C R Photography wrote:

Brian Diaz wrote:

I am not a lawyer and I have never played one on TV, so take this with a grain of salt.  Brian is right, truth is an absolute defense against slander and libel.  It is not, however, a total insulator against liability.

As an example, in most states there is some variation of the tort:  "Intentional Interferrence with Prospective Economic Advantage."  It basically means that you are doing something to deliberately prevent someone from earning income they might otherwise have been able to receive.  That is one of the motivating factors that stops a lot of companies from giving negative references when people check up on past employees.

Things like the list are forms of "Self-Help."  Under the law if you are injured, you should be relying upon the courts to make you whole, rather than using a "big stick" to make things right.

As an example, if you had a model who didn't show because she was ill and you listed her on the "no show" list, it might be factual, yet your purpose would be to discourage others from working with her.  If she actually suffered a loss as a result of your list, it might be actionable on her part.

You stand the risk of causing disproportionate injury to the model which is greatly in excess of the damage you incurred.  It might also be construed as malice since a court might find that your underlying purpose was to punish the model.

I am not suggesting that you would or would not get sued.  I am not a lawyer.  What I am saying is that you might be be safe from an action for libel, that doesn't mean a clever lawyer might not find some other tort and litigate.

Just a little food for thought.  I can think of other causes of action as well.

May 18 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Jumper

Crestline, California, US

May 18 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

Star

Jumper wrote:
Hey, at least I responded in ample time.  Again, I apologize, hopefully you understand, when payed work comes along, thats a priority, not TFP.

ample time is not an email 24hours in advance

May 19 06 01:51 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

C R Photography wrote:

Woah!

I know of few models who would have the means to sue; I know of no attorneys who would take a case like this, anyway.  You can't slander or libel someone by telling the truth, whether that is told in private or posted publically.  That said, I would hope you give the model a chance to respond to your posts and then post her/his comments along with yours.  Cheers, /tim

May 19 06 01:56 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

C R Photography wrote:

I am not a lawyer and I have never played one on TV, so take this with a grain of salt.  Brian is right, truth is an absolute defense against slander and libel.  It is not, however, a total insulator against liability.

As an example, in most states there is some variation of the tort:  "Intentional Interferrence with Prospective Economic Advantage."  It basically means that you are doing something to deliberately prevent someone from earning income they might otherwise have been able to receive.  That is one of the motivating factors that stops a lot of companies from giving negative references when people check up on past employees.

Things like the list are forms of "Self-Help."  Under the law if you are injured, you should be relying upon the courts to make you whole, rather than using a "big stick" to make things right.

As an example, if you had a model who didn't show because she was ill and you listed her on the "no show" list, it might be factual, yet your purpose would be to discourage others from working with her.  If she actually suffered a loss as a result of your list, it might be actionable on her part.

You stand the risk of causing disproportionate injury to the model which is greatly in excess of the damage you incurred.  It might also be construed as malice since a court might find that your underlying purpose was to punish the model.

I am not suggesting that you would or would not get sued.  I am not a lawyer.  What I am saying is that you might be be safe from an action for libel, that doesn't mean a clever lawyer might not find some other tort and litigate.

Just a little food for thought.  I can think of other causes of action as well.

You could always list the model as "No Show - Reason: Sick" ... then let the other photographers beware or make up their own mind.  This is the truth and is not a basis for slander or libel. /tim

May 19 06 01:59 pm Link

Model

Jumper

May 19 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Harvey

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jayne Jones wrote:
A N O T H E R post on flaky models???????

In the words of the Arby's oven mitt:
"Will it ever end???????????"
https://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/3/3_8_14.gif

LOL...Well said!

May 19 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Hayes

Cotacachi, Imbabura, Ecuador

Jumper wrote:
Thats Show Business

Or in this case, No-Show Business.   :-)

May 19 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Collins Photos

Largo, Florida, US

yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,yea,
Thank God,It's about time models  got a price to pay for waisting our time efforts.and money. Please who ever reads this pass it along to every photographer here and on OMP and on as many sites as you can. I am going to post this in my studio so models can tell other models that this list exists.

May 19 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Jumper

May 19 06 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

Natalie Photography

Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada

WG Rowland wrote:
C'est La Vie..  (I think that's German for, "I like pie!")  wink

No, but I have noticed that this place really likes to talk about flaking models, flaking photographer, GWC and pie....

now back to the pie......

May 19 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Jumper wrote:
Uhhhhh, Hello, how I make my living is by looking for paid work, duh?

"I get very angry because this means that the model not only has
confirmed a shoot with me 2 weeks in advance, but that the entire
time he was still searching for "paid" work."

Great, so you will chip in for the money I spent on the shoot you didn't
show up to? Since you got that paid gig and all. I mean it is ok for me
to spend money on something that you have confirmed to be at but I
should just understand that you only intended to come if nothing
better came along. Well, now I understand and feel all better.

If only you had contacted me first, oh wait here is a transcript of our
MM communications (note after the one I went to my main email)

1.Star,

Hey there, hope you are doing great! I love all of your new work! I
don't know if you have completed your Asylum project, but I am
sending you this message to express my interest. I'd welcome the
chance to work with you again.

Ciao,
Chris Bonomo
Star
05/04/06 7:47 PM

(Message read)    I am writing you cause we either tagged or messaged
each other in the past.

I am starting to set up my new TFCD shoots. My available dates are
May 17th, 18th, 24th, 25th, 31st. I am messaging several people in an
effort to get the ball rolling. My shoots usually last between 4-6 hours,
I know that seems like a long time. I just like to do several set-ups. I
am willing to look for an MUA but if you know or trust one that would
be great. I will be scouting locations in Pasadena next week. Most of
the time I do schedule two models per day, I enjoy the energy of
several people working together :-)

If any of these days sound cool to you just let me know and we can
talk details,

Star

3. Jumper
05/05/06 12:52 AM
Star,

May 17th or 18th works for me. I've worked with you in the past at
your Pomona studio. I'm a ballet dancer. Let me know what you plan
on what I should be scrounging for wardrobe wise. Lookin forward to
it,

Ciao,
Chris

05/08/06 12:47 AM
(Message read)    Sounds great will have more information on
Monday smile

Star

05/09/06 1:03 AM
(Message read)    Hey guys, here is what I have so far, does anyone
have any questions, or want to switchdays?

Star (edit, lots of information follows this)

05/11/06 10:06 PM
Star,

Yes, I am a go. I have some questions though on what your concept
idea is for the shoot and what you need me to bring wardrobe wise.
Any idea of what time you are planning? Thanks.

Ciao,
Chris

7.05/12/06 12:30 AM
(Message read)    I should have more information tomorrow,

Star

8. 05/13/06 1:02 AM
(Message read)    The Deconstructionalist Shoot

(lots of information followed by) I will send out a short note on
Monday
to make sure we are all still good,

Star

05/13/06 1:52 AM
Star,

My email is: xxxxxxxx I'll see what I can find that's apocalyptic punk.
Let me know if you can think of some specific wardrobe items for a
male (I got boots, lol)

Than the day before the shoot the cancellation email, so no Chris why
on earth would you messing around with MY WORK make me upset....
I spend money, I make promises based on what you commit to. The
other models were expecting a male model. I turned down other people
for the shoot cause you had confirmed.

Star

May 19 06 11:57 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

You told him!

:0(.  Sorry about the whole situation.

May 20 06 03:30 am Link