Forums > General Industry > The most outrageous or lame shoot idea?

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

What's the most outrageous, or lame idea for a shoot that a photographer or model has ever approached you with? I bet there's some doozies out there!

May 15 06 01:35 am Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

Lame? I'll be shooting it tomorrow if the model shows up. My idea smile Think wings. Hey, I have no wing shots smile

May 15 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

I had a stripper want me to take pictures of her doing herself with an impressively large crucifix in the graveyard. We went out there to shoot it and she chickened out!!!

Have Fun, Take Pictures!!!

May 15 06 01:38 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

make me look skinny/pretty/hot/sexy
make my boobies look big

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

JM Dean wrote:
Lame? I'll be shooting it tomorrow if the model shows up. My idea smile Think wings. Hey, I have no wing shots smile

Wings are bad, very bad. Only thing worse is a black dress!

Have Fun, Take Pictures!!

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

JM Dean wrote:

Well wings were great when Victoria's Secret first did them.. without that huge production budget and super model in the picture, it's just become an over done (often poorly reproduced) cliche'. But have fun.. I guess the challenge is to find a way to make that unique again. good luck!

May 15 06 11:25 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Got a mansion owner in Mission Viejo who wants shots of half a dozen bikini models washin his Rolls Royce in the driveway on May 27... wants to 'outdo' Paris Hilton's (Carls Jr) commercial in a BIG way.  He'll probably get his wish... wink

May 15 06 11:31 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Darn double roasty toasty posties... ;(

May 15 06 11:32 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I once had a photog ask me to do a "biker chic" look with me on a motorcycle he had. Leather jacket, boots, the whole bit.

Wouldn't of been such a bad idea till I found out the "studio" was located in his mama's basement where he lived.

May 15 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Those damn M&M shots. Ugh. I am so sick of being a candy dish. It looks stupid. LAME!!!

May 15 06 11:35 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

the only really lame thing anyone's ever asked me to do was an exact copy of a shot I'd done with someone else.  Same everything, just so he could say he'd taken the photo 'cause he liked it so much.    (needless to say I turned him down.) God, if your going to copy someone, at least use a different MODEL!

May 15 06 11:57 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

AJ Bella wrote:
I once had a photog ask me to do a "biker chic" look with me on a motorcycle he had. Leather jacket, boots, the whole bit.

Wouldn't of been such a bad idea till I found out the "studio" was located in his mama's basement where he lived.

lol cute

May 15 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Lamest thing I've ever been presented with:

Model's mother at a group shoot (possibly knee deep in midlife crisis), pushes the daughter off to the side and starts demanding everyone take pictures of her and send her their best within the week for some event she wants.. Then throws her hands up in the air and declares, "Ok, boys.. MAKE ME BEAUTIFUL!"

Lamest thing I've ever contemplated:

Get a group of furry chested, fat, middle-aged joes to strike body builder poses, process them to look like marble sculptures, and call it, "McChiseled: What the fast food culture has wrought on the American physique.."

Still thinking about that one..  If I could do a decent self-port I might even model..

May 15 06 12:02 pm Link

Model

Less Than Two

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

I had a photographer ask me to masturbate while reading the Holy Bible.
I'm not Christian, but that seems kind of distasteful.

May 15 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

toy cars driving over the nude landscape of a womans body.
or toy soldiers (no friggin' better)
photographers please stop...
caution tape around boobs....
ahhhhhh.....
I'll have a 50 lb bag of M&M's waiting for you claire...LOL

May 15 06 12:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dan Howell

Kerhonkson, New York, US

Fortunately I wasn't the one who had to shoot this, but a friend worked on the following shot.  An ad agency working for a baby-wipe wanted to demonstrate the strength of the product.  They wanted to have a baby wipe stretched between a mother and fathter's hands with a baby sitting on the wipe facing the rear but twisting it's neck around to see the camera.  Smaller babies wouldn't break the wipe, but they couldn't hold themselves up and certainly not look around to the side.  Larger babies could look to the side but would break the wipe.  No babie would sit on the wipe without crying because it was cold.  They had to microwave the wipes to keep them warm.  The end result with considerable photoshopping was similar to the desired layout---but the bigger question is WHY???

May 15 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

4C 41 42

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Had a fairly promising young girl approach me for a shoot and she said she had some "great" ideas for what she wanted.  When I asked what they were she said "something with butterflies".  All I could picture were fake butterfly wings, PS'ed flowers, and Mariah Carey in the background.  I had to decline.

May 15 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Eilispidh, not exactly the best reading material for that activity.  :-D

It just strikes me as totally ludicrous although I'm sure HE thought it was a great idea at the time.

I've had more ideas that seemed really good but after execution looked at them and said WTF was I thinking.

May 15 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

AJ Bella wrote:

dude....

how did he get the motorcycle into the basement?!

May 15 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Eilispidh_ wrote:

Thank God for celibate atheists wink

May 15 06 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Michael Longeneker wrote:
I had a stripper want me to take pictures of her doing herself with an impressively large crucifix in the graveyard. We went out there to shoot it and she chickened out!!!

hot!  exorcist style...

May 15 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Michael Longeneker wrote:

hot!  exorcist style...

May 15 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Rick Edwards wrote:
toy cars driving over the nude landscape of a womans body.
or toy soldiers (no friggin' better)
photographers please stop...
caution tape around boobs....
ahhhhhh.....
I'll have a 50 lb bag of M&M's waiting for you claire...LOL

Lol. M&M's are overrated. Why not skittles or 3 musketeers?

May 15 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Dan Howell wrote:
Fortunately I wasn't the one who had to shoot this, but a friend worked on the following shot.  An ad agency working for a baby-wipe wanted to demonstrate the strength of the product.  They wanted to have a baby wipe stretched between a mother and fathter's hands with a baby sitting on the wipe facing the rear but twisting it's neck around to see the camera.  Smaller babies wouldn't break the wipe, but they couldn't hold themselves up and certainly not look around to the side.  Larger babies could look to the side but would break the wipe.  No babie would sit on the wipe without crying because it was cold.  They had to microwave the wipes to keep them warm.  The end result with considerable photoshopping was similar to the desired layout---but the bigger question is WHY???

as a recent father I know they make warmers for the baby wipes...sheesh

May 15 06 12:23 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Shipstad

Burbank, California, US

Alright, time for me to fess up!

I shot the owner of a cat toy/catnip company..naked under 40lbs of catnip! Yes, ala Americcan Beauty. Seemed like a good idea at the time.. but man did it smell and it would up just looking like she was in a bathtub of pot or oregano! Although it was executed fine, she never used the shot and it's certainly not going in my portfolio!. I'm so embarassed..tee-hee ;-P

May 15 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Patrick Shipstad wrote:
Alright, time for me to fess up!

I shot the owner of a cat toy/catnip company..naked under 40lbs of catnip! Yes, ala Americcan Beauty. Seemed like a good idea at the time.. but man did it smell and it would up just looking like she was in a bathtub of pot or oregano! Although it was executed fine, she never used the shot and it's certainly not going in my portfolio!. I'm so embarassed..tee-hee ;-P

Coulda been worse..

Coulda been kitty litter..

May 15 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

WG Rowland wrote:

Coulda been worse..

Coulda been kitty litter..

Or wet cat food.  woulda looked like she was covered in poo....

May 15 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

...Stacy wrote:

Or wet cat food.  woulda looked like she was covered in poo....

Oh man.. Touche'!  Right when I was thinking about lunch... Now I'm queasy.

May 15 06 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Claire about the M&M thing............your hot and all and the M&M sounds good but with you in the photo the concept of "melts in your mouth and not in your hands" kinda takes the fun out of that one.    smile

May 15 06 01:41 pm Link

Photographer

Peter Dattolo

Wolcott, Connecticut, US

Claire about the M&M thing............your hot and all and the M&M sounds good but with you in the photo the concept of "melts in your mouth and not in your hands" kinda takes the fun out of that one.    smile

May 15 06 01:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Eilispidh_ wrote:

Maybe distasteful but the idea is pretty deep.

May 15 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

DezLand Studios

San Antonio, Florida, US

Hmm when I was 17 and got my first 35mm slr, a couple had asked me if I would take pics of them doing a snuff act..or however you would put it, but they wanted a series for their enjoyment of course and for a club we were in..but yea it was pretty weird condisdering the fact I was still sort of a minor..lol

May 15 06 02:36 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

What's up with all the "let Jesus f**k you" themes?

Too much Linda Blair in peoples lives, I tell ya.

But yea, i'm tired of the yellow tape.

May 15 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

BCI Photo wrote:
What's up with all the "let Jesus f**k you" themes?

That's art for you. Sticking it to the man. Or is it the other way around.

Yeh, the yellow tape pictures suck.

May 15 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

West Wendover, Nevada, US

My own understanding of the "Crucifix Masturbation"

1) Christianity and it's Icons are some of the most recognizable in terms of dogmas
2) Dogma tends to fuck you over
3) Dogma is also a rather quirky and fun movie

My own Lame ideas: Read anything on my profile, they all seem pretty weak at the moment.

Edit: Actually, had to add this one.

MY SUPER LAME IDEA!

Model Hanging upside down, by chain or rope around ankles(hmm, need a rigger), with skin being flayed(hmm, need a MUA/Special Effects, or possibly body painter), by another model. (Female/Female, or Male/Female...no Male in power position there). Upside down model would be nude, upright model would have the option, but not necessary. Would also need some decent props, maybe some rusty looking tools, and a warehouse location.

May 15 06 02:49 pm Link

Photographer

DezLand Studios

San Antonio, Florida, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
My own understanding of the "Crucifix Masturbation"

1) Christianity and it's Icons are some of the most recognizable in terms of dogmas
2) Dogma tends to fuck you over
3) Dogma is also a rather quirky and fun movie

My own Lame ideas: Read anything on my profile, they all seem pretty weak at the moment.

Edit: Actually, had to add this one.

MY SUPER LAME IDEA!

Model Hanging upside down, by chain or rope around ankles(hmm, need a rigger), with skin being flayed(hmm, need a MUA/Special Effects, or possibly body painter), by another model. (Female/Female, or Male/Female...no Male in power position there). Upside down model would be nude, upright model would have the option, but not necessary. Would also need some decent props, maybe some rusty looking tools, and a warehouse location.

lol...black gas mask, narrow green institutional looking walls, eerie ass linear lighting...and to top it off the model hanging would have an expression of serenity.Call it skin deep

May 15 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

Nah, no gas mask, I'm tired of full gas masks...maybe a respirator mask though, so the eyes are always visible, but mouth/nose covered...and a fishnet bodysuit of sorts...No eerie light either, eerie light just feels cheesy more often than not, I'm a fan of natural light...but for that..hmmm...Underlighting would probably work best, and give a good feel of vertigo, since the upside down model would be "properly" lit, but the standing model would have the horror convention of the inverted facial and body-contour shadows.

May 15 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

A photographer I knew once mentioned an idea for a shoot he'd like to do:

IIRC, he wanted to have a body or two lying on the floor.  Standing above them would be a little girl with a gun in her mouth.

May 15 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Odins Eye

I have a friend who did a shoot just like that, got a girl and her parents to do the pose(his girlfriends parents and younger sister(6)). Was actually pretty fun, but didn't accomplish the feeling he was shooting for. At least it didn't to me.

May 15 06 03:32 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Sol

Oshkosh, Wisconsin, US

Odin's Eye wrote:
Nah, no gas mask, I'm tired of full gas masks...

I was so pleased with the way some of my gas masked nudes came out that I started to acquire more masks in different styles with the idea of a continuing series.  On my way home from hanging some of them at a juried show, I found a book of Weston nudes.  One of the images was a woman on a sofa wearing a gas mask.  Hmm, 1940s or 1950s, not as original as I had thought.  There was also an image in the show by another photographer with an identical mask to the one I had used.  Then when I became active on LV, OMP, MM, etc., I realized that EVERYBODY seemed to be using them.  Now I'm thinking about selling the ones I have.  There must be an up & coming photographer out there, unaware of how ubiquitous they are, who could use them.

May 15 06 03:41 pm Link