Forums > General Industry > Models opinions on shorter photographers

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

In another thread there is  a discussion about tall versus short models. I'd like to turn the tables a little bit and ask what do people think about being WAY shorter than the model. I'm naturally short and being in a wheelchair makes it doubly hard. I'd like to know others opinions and if they've come across it how they've handled it.

May 14 06 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

210_PHOTOGRAPHY

Marietta, Georgia, US

If a model is really that tall
they can step on you.

And those shoes hurt, ouch!

May 14 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Star Photography

Portland, Maine, US

I'm 5'9 and have worked with several models taller than me.  I usually find something to stand on or bring my foam steps with me (Hanson Fong sells them on his website).  Wheelchair?  Hmmm, that's a head-scratcher.  I'll ask a couple of my friends who use them as well and see if they have suggestions.

May 14 06 10:20 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Show me a photographer smaller than me... I dare you.

May 14 06 10:25 pm Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Ah... if the diminutive stature of the photographer with whom I'm working ensures he won't take those leg-stubbifying, slightly-from-above shots, then I'm rather pleased!

Also, makes me look of *acceptable* height for fashion, when it comes to the "tourist shot" at the end big_smile

~Sabina

May 14 06 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

Aesthete Studios

Oakland, New Jersey, US

Interesting twist on a recent post!

Though not in a whhelchair, I am only 5',7" in height. I have shot with models ranging from 5',0" to 6'0" (the two Asian women currently in my portfolio). When I work with someone a few inches taller than me I bring a step stool and use it as needed.

I am not self-concious about this at all. Hell, it's all about getting "The Shot"!

Thomas

May 14 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I've only had to look up a couple times. It feels a little weird, but that's why they make chairs.

May 14 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Nemi wrote:

that would be me katie... smile

May 14 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Pacific Beach Pictures

Love, Saskatchewan, Canada

I'm five seven. Most models can put on heels and be taller than me. I have to crane my neck to address tall ones. I don't care. I'm 35, and have been this height for 20 years. Why feel insecure now? Models don't even notice - or don't show it. It's not like a blind date, they show up for the work and the pay. I doubt they care what I look like. As long as I'm safe and easy to work with, which I am, it doesn't matter.

May 14 06 10:45 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Pacific Beach Pictures wrote:
I'm five seven. Most models can put on heels and be taller than me. I have to crane my neck to address tall ones. I don't care. I'm 35, and have been this height for 20 years. Why feel insecure now? Models don't even notice - or don't show it. It's not like a blind date, they show up for the work and the pay. I doubt they care what I look like. As long as I'm safe and easy to work with, which I am, it doesn't matter.

I guess I misstated my question. I'm not "self-conscious" about my situation, I'm just wondering how models and photographers deal with the situation. It came up in the shoot I did today and I'm sure it will again.

May 14 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Mark Reese Photography wrote:
I guess I misstated my question. I'm not "self-conscious" about my situation, I'm just wondering how models and photographers deal with the situation. It came up in the shoot I did today and I'm sure it will again.

I don't see why it is even a "situation" and one that has to be dealt with.  People come in all sizes.  While models need to fit certain physical criteria (commercially speaking), photographers don't.

I guess it begs the question: what happened?

May 14 06 10:52 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

lll wrote:

I don't see why it is even a "situation" and one that has to be dealt with.  People come in all sizes.  While models need to fit certain physical criteria (commercially speaking), photographers don't.

I guess it begs the question: what happened?

nothing "happened" per se it just made it difficult to get some good shots that would have otherwise been great ones.

May 14 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Pacific Beach Pictures

In that case, get one of those little stepping ladders, the plastic two foot high ones. We use them at work to get stuff off shelves. I like low angle shots anyway, and find more use for a rolling office chair. But I should have one of those little steps too. Some guys keep a taller ladder, like 6 ft. Harder to move, more possibilities.

May 14 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Aperture Photographics

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

Mark Reese Photography wrote:

nothing "happened" per se it just made it difficult to get some good shots that would have otherwise been great ones.

I keep a ladder and a step stool in the studio.  Suddenly, I'm 10 ft tall.  ;->

May 14 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Pacific Beach Pictures wrote:
In that case, get one of those little stepping ladders, the plastic two foot high ones. We use them at work to get stuff off shelves. I like low angle shots anyway, and find more use for a rolling office chair. But I should have one of those little steps too. Some guys keep a taller ladder, like 6 ft. Harder to move, more more possibilities.

that MIGHT work if it weren't for me being in a wheelchair. smile

May 14 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Pacific Beach Pictures

Pardon my misreading your post. I skim - I admit it. I have a problem. wink Then I'm not sure. If you only need two feet could you use a ramp? If you had an assistant to help you move it. Perhaps you could be seated in a chair like an office chair with the adjustable height. We have one at work that goes up fairly higher than the seat of a wheel chair. Might only buy you 18" or so. Otherwise you'd need to shoot from seated on stairs or a scaffold or something. Try to scope your site I guess and figure out the possibilities. If you're fairly mobile from your chair and back, or have some one to help you move, maybe you can find a few safe higher places to perch.

May 14 06 11:21 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I like shorter photographers because they see things from a different angle.

May 14 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Nemi wrote:

I hover between 4' 11" and 5' depending on the time of the day!!!

May 14 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm not tall by any means... Since I like to have the camera at the model's waist level when shooting full lengths, I find it to be a bit of an advantage when shooting models 5'9" and above.

May 14 06 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

James Barry

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Aren't we all the same height if we're lying down? smile

May 14 06 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

short myself 5'5".   I just try not to shoot too many nostril openings.  big_smile

I was chairbound for a year after I strooked and not being sure I'd ever walk again I considered some inventions:

A ramp around the room that starts at one end and then steps up to another ramp at a higher level.

Also an electric winch I could either sit in a sling or just stick winch hooks to the chair and lift me up.   Gotta consider a way to keep from rotating tho.

Just a couple of ideas.  The ramps setup could be done outside around a fenced yard as well-follow the lines and step up as it progresses.

May 14 06 11:32 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Valach

Avondale, Arizona, US

ImageWerks wrote:
Aren't we all the same height if we're lying down? smile

I know you meant this as a joke..and I like it BUT... hasn't everyone here missed the most obvious point???  That not ALL photos (Thank God) are taken just straight .."honey stand over there and smile". Some of the hottest photos put the camera low, or way above, model bent over, on her side...just thinking out loud from my 5'6" body....and let me say that I enjoy  all those long legs I have photographed (was that last part out loud??)

May 15 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I spend a lot of time on the floor during many shoots.

I think it's just because I'm lazy.

May 15 06 02:10 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I spend a lot of time on the floor during many shoots.

I rarely wear white shirts for just that reason.

May 15 06 02:15 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

A little over 5'8", and in spite of a rebuilt knee/leg, I've been known to be down on the floor, floating in rafts, balancing on ladders, etc. ...

Oops! Oh, wait! You sent the question to models. Sorry.

Sigh. ... but I've got a really tall, quirky, but tall sense of humor. LOL!

FML

May 15 06 02:25 am Link

Photographer

Dark Magus

El Cajon, California, US

I am 5'6" but I spend most of the shoot on my knees. I like long legs and I don't get um when I stand up.

May 15 06 02:29 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

I'm not called a munchkin with a camera for nothing! tongue

https://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e48/boydx40/445178c416d48sm.jpg

Of course the model was pretty darned short too. :-)

May 15 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Taray Jennings wrote:
I am 5'6" but I spend most of the shoot on my knees. I like long legs and I don't get um when I stand up.

Ditto. I seriously need to invest in kneepads.

May 15 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

DerekJason photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I am 5'3 its never been a problem for me and I have even dated some of the models out side of my work so again no problems......

May 15 06 02:35 am Link

Model

MADALINA

San Jose, California, US

I don't think it matters...not to me...When I worked with you I had one of the best times ever....What matters is the skills...the personality...the fun you bring to the shoot and how dedicated you are to what you do...Why would anyone care about your height? you can just borrow a chair if needed...tongue

May 15 06 02:39 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Dee wrote:

I hover between 4' 11" and 5' depending on the time of the day!!!

Can I say you just get more awesome with each passing day?

May 15 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

Nemi wrote:

Can I say you just get more awesome with each passing day?

I think it's something here in the water in Toledo. tongue

May 15 06 03:10 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

I really seriously doubt that any model could care less about how tall or short a photographer is..as long as the work is good....You cannot be serious!!
I personally have never seen a model taller than me, being that I am 6'6.

May 15 06 03:23 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

**walks in thread at 6'4"*

**finds the shortest photographer in thread**

**Rests camera on his head as a make shift tripod**

May 15 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The damn double post demon!

Probably bad karma for poking fun at the shorties.

sad

May 15 06 03:30 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

Ransom J wrote:
**walks in thread at 6'4"*

**finds the shortest photographer in thread**

**Rests camera on his head as a make shift tripod**

grrrrrrr tongue

May 15 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Visions Of Excess Studi wrote:

grrrrrrr tongue

Stop shaking your fist at me, you're creating motion blur in the shot tripod!!

May 15 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Ransom J wrote:

Stop shaking your fist at me, you're creating motion blur in the shot tripod!!

Just remember Ransom, this "tripod" bites wink

May 15 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Eros Artist Photography

Green Cove Springs, Florida, US

Interesting topic -

5'4" and livin' large!

Finding tripods that work well has always been a challenge. Reaching the control panel on a monolight can be tough too - oh wait - that's why I hire tall assistants!

Well, not always - my current assistants are both shorter than me.....

Got it! That's why I buy step ladders!!

Bill Ballard
Blue Water Photography
Savannah, GA
www.bluewaterphotography.net

May 15 06 05:52 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

If you're shorter than the model you're less apt to be mistaken for her boyfriend.

Oh, she's tall, thin, attractive and scantily clad...
and he's ugly, short, and has a camera.

Long live the stereotype!

May 15 06 06:04 am Link