Forums > General Industry > Anyone else into cosplay?

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

I love cosplay.

I've done some cosplay shoots and have been to a few cosplay events in California and in J-world.

There's just something about cosplay I really like.

Anyone else like to photograph cosplay or dress up?

.....and if you dress up, who or what do you like to dress up as?

May 14 06 07:03 pm Link

Model

The Elfling

Austin, Indiana, US

I've got a shot in my portfolio of me dressed as Julia from Cowboy Bebop.  Yaya Han has a portfolio on here somewhere, too.

May 14 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

well that makes 2, or 3..:-))

May 14 06 11:53 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

Wow, had to Google "cosplpay," you just introduced me to a whole new world... I'm not into Anime myself, but the costumes look like they could be really fun to shoot.

We do make an annual trek to the local Renaissance Faire, where I usually don a breacan feile (a hand-pleated "great kilt"), some nice boots and accessories, a terrible Scottish accent, and my decidedly anachronistic 70-200mm f/2.8L.

May 15 06 12:40 am Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

I've done 2 cosplay shoots and had the images up for a while. i would love to do more but there don't seem to be many interested CosPlayers in AZ... not even for free pics!!!

INever wrote:
I love cosplay.

I've done some cosplay shoots and have been to a few cosplay events in California and in J-world.

There's just something about cosplay I really like.

Anyone else like to photograph cosplay or dress up?

.....and if you dress up, who or what do you like to dress up as?

May 15 06 12:46 am Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I'm into cosplay,and attend conventions regularly up and down the east coast.

Cosplayed the BR girl ("Oneechan") for Otakon 2004,and Nekocon 2004. Working on a Talim from SS2('Cause the new costume is terrible) cosplay for Otakon this year.

May 15 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

c'est quoi "cosplay"?

sorry, English is not my strongest language ...

fml

May 15 06 12:53 am Link

Model

leiah

Berthoud, Colorado, US

FML-Photography wrote:
c'est quoi "cosplay"?

sorry, English is not my strongest language ...

fml

Adults dressing up as cartoon characters

May 15 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Jim Shibley

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Cosplay is short for costume play, dressing up as characters from Anime aka Japanese animation. I like to shoot at Science Fiction Masquerades whuch are similiar.

May 15 06 01:34 am Link

Model

AntiSaint

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

May 15 06 01:36 am Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

On a number of recent occasions, when I have been dressed in kimono to give or attend lectures on traditional Japanese culture, I have been asked if I am involved in cosplay. To which I have replied, "No, this is the real me!"

May 15 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Thought I was going to get to shoot a Cosplayer from MM this year, but she's kind of vanished.. So no clue..

Shooting the people who dressed up to go to ComicCon last year is what got me interested in shooting..  Hoping to take some vacation time and shoot the whole 4 days of the con this year..

May 15 06 09:28 am Link

Model

Heidi Rogers

Centennial, Colorado, US

I cosplay, and it's a blast!  It's a great way to combine many different forms of creative talent.

I've got quite a few of my cosplay pics up in my MM port, but you can find them all at www.cosplaykitten.com.

May 24 06 02:34 pm Link

Model

AiTenshiMisha

Dayton, Ohio, US

I luv to cosplay : ) Its so much fun, a LOT of ppl consider it weird and scary but to me its just like halloween ^_^ some ppl take it really serious and liek to think/pretend as the character that theyre cosplaying as, so it can be more fun, and i guess ppl find that really weird...but i guess its how you do it ^_^ but anyways i luv cosplay and i never ever can find a photographer to take a photoshoot w/ me : ( which is a bummer

May 24 06 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

This cosplay is some cool stuff! Ive seen people with costumes, but didnt know it had a "title".

May 24 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

yaggy

Willow Grove, Pennsylvania, US

Heidi Rogers wrote:
I've got quite a few of my cosplay pics up in my MM port, but you can find them all at www.cosplaykitten.com.

SMALL WORLD!  I was at Katsucon this year to bring down, setup and run the Classic Coin-Op Arcade room and ended up snapping some pictures of you and the other girl with you, amonst a few others.  Send me your email and I'll give you copies.

Gary

May 24 06 04:59 pm Link

Model

Silken Soles

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I havnt done strict cosplay, but i loove dressing up!

May 24 06 05:08 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Indiscretion

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

I love designing cosplay outfits.  I get the CosMode magazine - it's really a nice reference to have.

May 24 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

Richard Tallent wrote:
Wow, had to Google "cosplpay," you just introduced me to a whole new world... I'm not into Anime myself, but the costumes look like they could be really fun to shoot.

We do make an annual trek to the local Renaissance Faire, where I usually don a breacan feile (a hand-pleated "great kilt"), some nice boots and accessories, a terrible Scottish accent, and my decidedly anachronistic 70-200mm f/2.8L.

I actually lugged a large format camera to a faire once and had a person ask me if it was "authentic period" in all seriousness.  That still cracks me up.  I lifted the back and let him see the glass and he was wondering why everything was backwards and upside down.  Ah well.  I have an image from that trip in my portfolio, the woodworker one.

As to Cosplay, I have quite a few friends that are into it and are almost maniacle about accuracy for their costumes.  I have nothing in my portfolio because I was concerned about the copyright of the characters they portray.  Do you think this is a valid concern for shooting cosplay images?

May 24 06 05:15 pm Link

Model

icca

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

love it! would like to do some cosplay related photo shoots one day but havent seen any photographers yet that have any work in that style

*icca*

May 24 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I've been known to dress up as Sailor Mars and Chun Li.  I don't make my own costumes (or go to conventions) though, so I don't do it very often.

May 24 06 06:21 pm Link

Photographer

VisionsofZen

Berkeley, California, US

I am into it, I have done some costuming and I have shot it... good times.

May 24 06 06:23 pm Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

yep, next weekend I'll be cos playing as Lum at Metrocon. I've also done Umi from magic knight rayearth, shampoo years ago, various goth lolita outfits, catwoman (various versions) & dawn

May 25 06 10:37 pm Link

Model

Jeny S

Melbourne, Florida, US

I LOVE to cosplay! that used to be bassicaly my life. I have cosplayed as so many differnet people. Inyasha (Inuyasha), Kagome (Inuyasha), Miaka (Fushigi Yuugi) Minako Anio (Sailor Moon), Chii (Chobits), Dark Chii (Chobits), Edward (Cowboy Bebop).
One of my chii costumes was actually my prom dress.. ^___^

I have yet to have anyone really wanna do a shoot with me involving cosplaying... I guess photographers around here just don't like that kinda work. sad

May 25 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

Love cosplay! Can't cosplay myself, but I greatly enjoy photographing and seeing people give it their all with the effort they put into their costumes, makeup, and routines.

Been attending Anime Expo(Anaheim, California or Long Beach, California) since 1994. Skipped 2004 to visit Japan. Skipped 2005 since my wife was pregnant. And will be attending 2006. smile Have also given FanimeCon(San Jose, California) a try. Also interested in giving Yaoi-con in San Francisco a visit. I hear Japan Town in San Francisco will be holding an Anime convention of their own this year, so if I have the time, will be attending that one to see all the cool cosplayers.

Btw, who all is attending Anime Expo in Anaheim in July?

May 26 06 07:53 am Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

Jeny wrote:
I have yet to have anyone really wanna do a shoot with me involving cosplaying... I guess photographers around here just don't like that kinda work. sad

Hey, if you are attending one of the conventions I'll be at, I'd be more than happy to do a photoshoot (TFCD) with you! Message me, if you're interested.

May 26 06 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Kevin in Florida

Brandon, Florida, US

....ok.....ok.....OK!...... I am a sucker for it too.....There I said it...... smile

May 26 06 08:07 am Link

Model

Heidi Rogers

Centennial, Colorado, US

Wing Wong wrote:
Btw, who all is attending Anime Expo in Anaheim in July?

I'll be there.  smile

May 26 06 08:18 am Link

Model

pegasusmaiden

West Sacramento, California, US

icca wrote:
love it! would like to do some cosplay related photo shoots one day but havent seen any photographers yet that have any work in that style

*icca*

Find a convention the photograhers will be there.

May 26 06 02:30 pm Link

Model

Sardave

Abilene, Texas, US

I would totally do cosplay if I could get a decent costume together.  If I were able to, one of my first ones would probably be Sango from "InuYasha".  She kicks demon booty. ^_^ 

Sara

May 26 06 02:34 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I do a loooot of cosplay... if you're in Northern California, come on over. Hell, we have a whole website devoted to it. You can do much better photos in private, where the backgrounds can be controlled; but if you like to be photographed, you'll be overwhelmed at a big con, if you have a good costume. Ask pegasumaiden.

We'll be at AX on the 4th, AniMagic in October. Come find us.

Jun 06 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
I've been known to dress up as Sailor Mars and Chun Li.  I don't make my own costumes (or go to conventions) though, so I don't do it very often.

Ooo, Chun Li, show us your Chun Li!

Jun 06 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I love cosplay, but haven't done much of it yet. I want to do some soon. Does anyone know if there are any conventions in Europe? I want to get to a convention sometime for more ideas. There is a great shop in lower Alabama that carries wigs and costumes of all sorts. I got some ideas from there. It's called Out on a Whim. They have some goth wigs, and all other types...but I had to get creative for my geisha costume, as they didn't have a wig for a geisha there.

Jun 06 06 11:38 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

I don't really do cosplay but I love to watch it. If I did cosplay It'd be either as NANA, someone from Alchino or as evil Chi from Chobits. I think I'd pull off NANA the best.

Jun 07 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

Hi - yeah, we're going to AX.  Working on setting up a shoot with 3 female models either friday, June 30, or on one of the slower days. If you're interested in joining us, let me know!
Curt

Jun 07 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

In honor of this thread, and because I want to... I'll put up at least 2 new cosplay photos every week.

Jun 07 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

I like dressing up and acting out Hentai!

Jun 07 06 07:38 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Lexi Evans wrote:
I like dressing up and acting out Hentai!

Ooo, bad girl! Bad!

Jun 07 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

J Schumacher wrote:

Ooo, bad girl! Bad!

Moi?? Never!

Jun 07 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Chilcutte

Sammamish, Washington, US

I have no idea what you are talking about... I'd never dress a model up like a persona from bladerunner...

Jun 07 06 10:09 pm Link