Forums > General Industry > Anyone else into cosplay?

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Ha, I almost jumped you before I looked at your icon....

Jun 07 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Linda K

New York, New York, US

I love anime so yeah cosplay is really cool... I wish i had the costumes

Jun 08 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Bob Hubbard

Buffalo, New York, US

I've be at a number of cons in the NE US the last several years. Love cosplayers, the attention to detail alot of them put into their costumes blows my mind.  My last GF was big on Sailor Moon, and my current has done Utena, Sailor Moon, Lum and Miyu.
Some of the pics are at http://www.rustaz.com/gallery/index.php?cat=4 and some of the more candids are at http://www.rustaz.com/gallery/index.php?cat=5

I'd love the chance to shoot more organized sets with some cosplayers. Everything I did to date at cons has been available light and on camera flash, which, ah, sometimes didn't work as well as I'd liked.

Jun 08 06 02:51 pm Link

Model

Oriental Silk

London, England, United Kingdom

Bob Hubbard wrote:
I've be at a number of cons in the NE US the last several years. Love cosplayers, the attention to detail alot of them put into their costumes blows my mind.  My last GF was big on Sailor Moon, and my current has done Utena, Sailor Moon, Lum and Miyu.
Some of the pics are at http://www.rustaz.com/gallery/index.php?cat=4 and some of the more candids are at http://www.rustaz.com/gallery/index.php?cat=5

I'd love the chance to shoot more organized sets with some cosplayers. Everything I did to date at cons has been available light and on camera flash, which, ah, sometimes didn't work as well as I'd liked.

That is very interesting. In my capacity as a lecturer of Japanese culture, am contributing various activities to AmeCon 2006: 11-13 August - University of Leicester, England. http://www.amecon.org

Jun 08 06 03:44 pm Link

Model

AiTenshiMisha

Dayton, Ohio, US

I wish i lived somewhere near california : ( i want to go to Anime expo so bad >

Jun 09 06 05:22 pm Link

Model

Amouriette

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

chobits cosplay ^^

Jun 09 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Lexi Evans wrote:
I like dressing up and acting out Hentai!

I feel compelled to ask:  What do you use for tentacles?

Jun 09 06 05:27 pm Link

Model

AiTenshiMisha

Dayton, Ohio, US

Amourette wrote:
Definitely into cosplay. Ordered these 3 costume for an upcoming shoot.
http://www.xanga.com/AmouraRose?nextdat … 2006&cal=1 smile

O_O the chobits dress is so beautiful!!!! i hope it turns out like the picture ^_^ thats gorgeous!!

Jun 09 06 05:41 pm Link

Model

Amouriette

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

I hope so too. I'm just jumping up and down waiting for these dresses to come in. big_smile I'm going to take a look at some ports here and see if there are cosplay photos I can indulge in viewing!

Jun 09 06 05:45 pm Link

Model

Roxann

Los Angeles, California, US

I never heard of Cosplay until now, sounds like something I could really get into...I have (and wear) a million school girl skirts.. smile

xxo

Jun 09 06 05:48 pm Link

Body Painter

Eric Mayhem

Seattle, Washington, US

I like painted costumes!

Jun 09 06 05:54 pm Link

Model

AiTenshiMisha

Dayton, Ohio, US

Roxann wrote:
I never heard of Cosplay until now, sounds like something I could really get into...I have (and wear) a million school girl skirts.. smile

xxo

lol suprisingly a lot of cosplay characters have school girl skirts ^_^ its a lot of fun, its like normal modeling on halloween ^_^;;

Jun 09 06 06:06 pm Link

Model

Roxann

Los Angeles, California, US

lol suprisingly a lot of cosplay characters have school girl skirts ^_^ its a lot of fun, its like normal modeling on halloween ^_^;;

My favorite 'holiday' IS Halloween! I still dress up..

xxo

Jun 09 06 06:10 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

WG Rowland wrote:

I feel compelled to ask:  What do you use for tentacles?

Well....first you start out with a petri dish of some sort of new strain of fungi. Then you foster it and let it grow under your love and care. You train it to be gentle, as it grows, so that is always respects you. When it grows big and strong...well, thats when the fun begins.

Jun 09 06 06:39 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I was avoiding that question. Told you she was a bad girl.

Jun 09 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

O, as promised, 2 more cosplay photos up.

Jun 09 06 09:31 pm Link

Model

Lust

Rockford, Illinois, US

Cosplay =

Jun 09 06 09:39 pm Link

Photographer

Zeo

Canton, Ohio, US

I love cosplay and have been looking for some people to shoot some less on the spot cosplay shots.

it seems to be somethign though that peopeldon't wanna do for a photo shoot.

Jun 10 06 03:46 am Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

Zeo wrote:
I love cosplay and have been looking for some people to shoot some less on the spot cosplay shots.

it seems to be somethign though that peopeldon't wanna do for a photo shoot.

Actually, if you look at my portfolio you'll see quite a few costume shots mixed in there. So it depends on the person.

Jun 10 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Let's bump this back up to the top.... AnimeExpo is on the 4th of July weekend, and of course we're all going, right? If anyone wants to do a quick shoot there, just get ahold of me, or grab me there. (I'm brocas in the con world).

Jun 12 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

J Schumacher wrote:
Let's bump this back up to the top.... AnimeExpo is on the 4th of July weekend, and of course we're all going, right? If anyone wants to do a quick shoot there, just get ahold of me, or grab me there. (I'm brocas in the con world).

I'll be at Anime Expo from June30th(evening) through July 3rd(morning). Anyone interested in doing a TFCD or just a cool photoshoot, message me. smile

See ya all there!

Wing.

Jun 12 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Did you think I'd forget? Nope, I promised.

2 more cosplay photos up.

Jun 21 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Art Wraith Images

Antioch, California, US

Cosplay only includes anime character based costumes right?  So anything based off of any other type of movie would fall under what?  I'm talking about fantastic of science fiction type costumes, etc.  I saw a girl doing an amazing "Selene" from Underworld the other day.

Jun 21 06 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Hubbard

Buffalo, New York, US

My GF's been to AX and Fanime a few times, sadly I haven't made it out that far.  Mostly Toronto Trek and Anime North the last few years for me.

Jun 21 06 11:12 pm Link

Model

AshesLaree

Houston, Texas, US

I don't have enough money for "real" cosplay( i cant sew very well either), I usually just pick the caual dress from anime I love and try to get as close as possiable. I have a dress that almost matches Michiru's (Sailor Neptune) black art book dress. I have the green wig i styled myself too, just haven't had the oppertunity to wear it yet. Houston has a anime con that I'll be all ready for tho.

Jun 21 06 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Actually, most of us toss SF costumes into the cosplay category. You'll see a lot of Harry Potter and Star Wars people running around at the big cons.

Jun 21 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Art_Wraith wrote:
Cosplay only includes anime character based costumes right?  So anything based off of any other type of movie would fall under what?  I'm talking about fantastic of science fiction type costumes, etc.  I saw a girl doing an amazing "Selene" from Underworld the other day.

Nope.  Other media are included as well.  Video Games and comics are up there as well.  Some fantasy stuff does work but it's more cyberpunk fantasy stuff.  If you like the Underworld type of look, I've only really seen that brought into goth/fetish.  If you want fantasy, there are the folks who practice.. I never spell/get this right.. creative anachronism?  People who basically play D&D in real life.  Some refer to it as LARP as well.

Jun 21 06 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Yep, I forgot to mention video games, that's actually a large percentage of the costumes. King of Fighters lives on forever, and the Final Fantasy gatherings are huge.

Jun 21 06 11:46 pm Link

Photographer

bnittoli

Berthoud, Colorado, US

Love doing cosplay photography along with the lolita-esq type outfits.  In fact, I just went to Anime Next in NJ this past weekend.  Still working on pics, but some are up on my flickr account.  Mostly just hallway shots, so nothing elaborate. just flash on bracket and try to get a neutral background when possible.  I've done several shoots in the park as well which are fun cause you can spend more time with poses and do a series of shots.

Jun 22 06 11:38 am Link

Model

Sou DeSade

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

Cosplay is awesome! We usually dress up on a night out. There is a quite good underground goth culture in Glasgow, and I often dress up in anime/manga themes. There will also be an anime/manga convention in Glasgow in December. Looking forward to it and will probably be looking for some Chobitts outfits.

Jun 22 06 12:52 pm Link

Photographer

Eli Ceballos

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ya...I am very into Japanese culture and this is one that has always grabbed my attention.  I have been interested in attending some events as a photog and definately would love to do some studio shoots!

VERY Cool indeed...

Eli

Jun 22 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I know I'm on the "over the hill" side of most of you....so I probably don't keep up with the vernacular....but what exactly is "cosplay"????????

Jun 22 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Muse Me

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I want to cosplay Morrigan...

Model

aenux

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I really want to do a cosplay shoot.

I'm looking into getting a dress and hair extentions so I can be Chi (Chobits). I think it's fitting since Chobits was the first one that I got hooked too.
^_^

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

FKVPhotoGraphics wrote:
I know I'm on the "over the hill" side of most of you....so I probably don't keep up with the vernacular....but what exactly is "cosplay"????????

Shortened version of "costume play"; came from the Japanese and we snatched it up. Um, over half my portfolio can be considered cosplay. Dressing as anime characters, game characters, gothic lolita has snuck in the back door and is a standard now...

Jun 22 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Rachel Frew wrote:
I want to cosplay Morrigan...

Go for it. Did you see the one I have up? (Morrigan, that is) ... although I guess she wouldn't really be driving a Shelby.

Jun 22 06 09:40 pm Link

Model

Muse Me

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Just saw it now... I think the Lilith is better though.  Do you think I would make a good Morrigan...?

Jun 22 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Lexi Evans wrote:
I like dressing up and acting out Hentai!

Fap fap fap.

Jun 22 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

aenux wrote:
I really want to do a cosplay shoot.

I'm looking into getting a dress and hair extentions so I can be Chi (Chobits). I think it's fitting since Chobits was the first one that I got hooked too.
^_^

Chobits is my favorite of all time, watch them religiously, have a few Chii dolls (yep, spelled with the original Japanese spelling on the package, extra 'i'), and lots of other Chobits stuff.  I would love to do a Chobits shoot but making it perfect would be a task.

We even named our 2nd dog (a lab mix) Chi  smile

Jun 22 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Rachel Frew wrote:
Just saw it now... I think the Lilith is better though.  Do you think I would make a good Morrigan...?

O yes. About the right height for Morrigan, and comfortable with your body.... Morrigan isn't a suit for the timid.

Jun 22 06 10:59 pm Link