Forums > General Industry > Was there a nudity bandit?

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

I was looking at various ports and I'm noticing a growing trend among some models and "models" about shunning nudity and implied nudity.  Now yes I know not everyone is looking to do nudes and I know that there are pervs out there but as some who does tasteful (at least I think so) nudes I am finding it harder to find models to work with.

So was there this massive scandal that went on while I was sleeping?

Darque

May 14 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Yes.

May 14 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

It seems like a LOT of models have had bad experiences..  And it's hard..  They become gunshy about it (and more than rightfully so).. And you get to feel defensive because suddenly EVERYONE is a pervert..

And that's just the nip of the iceberg... wink

May 14 06 04:36 pm Link

Photographer

Ascending Phoenix

Lexington, Kentucky, US

Unfortunately too many perves per square Portfolio..love your work by the way.Particularly image with old time MIC..

Peace

May 14 06 04:48 pm Link

Photographer

ObsidianDrag0n

Spring, Texas, US

The drag0n has found that most models are down for it after they've had at least one good non-nude shoot OR references that are known to them even if their profile didn't say so. Tactful contact and detailed conversations about limits and then respecting those limits requires some patience, but has proven quite fruitful.

May 14 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
Yes.

Well that is definitive

May 14 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ascending Phoenix wrote:
Unfortunately too many perves per square Portfolio..love your work by the way.Particularly image with old time MIC..

Peace

Thank you

May 14 06 07:11 pm Link

Model

Ami S

Maysville, Georgia, US

I have stated clearly that I have and will do nudes depending on the situation...

But I am going to be removing the nude work I have done after having been told by one of the photographers here on MM that my nudes... well basically my entire collection of pictures look like "internet sleaze" and that my chance at a career is ruined by the work I have done.

Lovely people and compliments such as that might be among the reasons for people being less willing to do nudes...

May 14 06 07:16 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

yes there was, it's called the tittysnatcher.  Run, Run from the tittysnatcher!!!  RUN!!!!!

May 14 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bell

Anaheim, California, US

Darque wrote:
I was looking at various ports and I'm noticing a growing trend among some models and "models" about shunning nudity and implied nudity.  Now yes I know not everyone is looking to do nudes and I know that there are pervs out there but as some who does tasteful (at least I think so) nudes I am finding it harder to find models to work with.

Darque

I hear ya man. Its stupid reality TV modeling shows ruining things. You got all these average height, average looking girls thinking they can be fashion models and make money shooting clothing ads lol. Alot of girls just have a weird ay of thinking. I shot with a model who didnt want to be involved with ANY types of nudity or even implieds...and she is a STRIPPER!

These average looking girls about 5'5 who think they can go out and make money shooting fashion are going to fins its not that easy, if it was, every girl would be doing it. I think models who arent 5'9 and taller and who dont have the killer looks should consider the more Maxim styled stuff, implied and nudes. At least they have a much better shot at getting paid for their work.

May 14 06 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Foto di Giacomo

Las Cruces, New Mexico, US

I have shot a lot of nudes.  Having said that the problem I am having is finding models who will do clothes!  How many different poses can you do with the nude figure anyway?  Most models I know or have worked with will do nudes no problem and I have a sheet that a model fills out before a shoot which defines the limits of what she will do.  I always stay within those limits and never ever push.
As I said though I am looking to do more fashion/glam work and having a hard time finding models that want to do that.
Jim

May 14 06 08:14 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Um, yeah sure, doesn't every girl who knows she's not a perfect 10 wanna be a perfect 5 1/2?

May 14 06 08:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Um, yeah sure, doesn't every girl who knows she's not a perfect 10 wanna be a perfect 5 1/2?

::: scratching head :::

We're talking 66 inches yes? wink

May 14 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

To the OP, believe it or not, there are plenty of models who are very comfortable with their bodies, have no sexual hangups, aren't prudish, love nudity, blahblahblah and simply aren't interested in doing nudes or implieds.  Maybe they want to do glam and be some lad-mag covergirl.  Perhaps they have commercial or fashion aspirations.  Maybe they have a 3rd nipple.  They could desire to run for congress one day.  Who knows? 

Some people make it seem as if there's something wrong with a model if she doesn't want to pose nude... as if all it takes is a little convincing or somesuch.  It's the same as that "If you don't :::insert costly recreational habit here::: you're uptight and prudish" mentality.  Please.  Aren't their plenty of models willing and even eager to pose nude?  I see them all the time.  Why even waste mental energy on the ones who aren't interested in what you're shooting?

ObsidianDrag0n wrote:
The drag0n has found that most models are down for it after they've had at least one good non-nude shoot OR references that are known to them even if their profile didn't say so. Tactful contact and detailed conversations about limits and then respecting those limits requires some patience, but has proven quite fruitful.

Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?  Magnificent...

May 14 06 08:42 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Ami S wrote:
I have stated clearly that I have and will do nudes depending on the situation...

But I am going to be removing the nude work I have done after having been told by one of the photographers here on MM that my nudes... well basically my entire collection of pictures look like "internet sleaze" and that my chance at a career is ruined by the work I have done.

Lovely people and compliments such as that might be among the reasons for people being less willing to do nudes...

Your work is HARDLY sleazy (there's only one pic that's even borderline) and sometimes it doesn't pay to listen to some of the trash comments...I logged in one day & someone had gone thru & put up nasty comments on every pic in my port with even a hint of nudity.  Their issue, not mine.

May 14 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Busted.

I am the Nudity Bandit!

Sorry...

May 14 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

Ami S wrote:

One door closes- another opens.  I'd shoot ya.

May 14 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

funny...

i don't find it hard at all...

i'm having to turn down more than i agree to shoot...

maybe it's cause i always offer cheetos...

May 14 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

MS Photo Chicago

Chicago, Illinois, US

Darque wrote:

Darque

I think it comes down to where you are located and what you are looking to shoot. The more provocative your images the harder it can be to find models.

mike

May 14 06 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Star Photography

Portland, Maine, US

I don't shoot a lot of nudes, nor do I go out looking for them.  I think that nudes can be done beautifully but are not necessary for either model or photographer unless they are looking to build a career largely around that style of work.  And there is simply too much nudity done very poorly by both photographers who don't hone their art and by models who pose nude without taking the time to make their bodies look their best before disrobing.  For the record, I don't think that only thin, tanned, hardbody girls should pose nude, but whatever the body type, make it look your best and know how to pose tastefully.

May 14 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

well

as i expounded in several threads, unless the model likes doing nudes (some people like to wrestle alligators, some poeple like to pose nude), and is into doing nudes, or is doing nudes merely to make a few bucks, or thinks she has a future in adult material, whats the point of doing nudes with the caliper (i always liked that word, and so rarely do i get to use it in a sentence, and it makes me feel like Dr Evil) of MM photographers

there are very very few MM photographers that are going to give them awesome, (i'd pay hard money to own that photograph) images.

so whats the point of having anything less than that in your portfolio if you are a model? with the exception of the several reasons i just noted

lets face it, 95% of the MM photogs shooting nudes (or trying to shoot nudes, of any genre) are not bob coulter, et al

May 14 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Sure, those who aren't already fantastically accomplished or fantastically well-respected by the peanut gallery (whatever peanut gallery you choose to surround yourself with) should never ever aspire to anything greater than that which whatever peanut gallery tells them they should aspire to.

And I thought you guys were American (scratching head)...

May 14 06 10:41 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Chili wrote:
well

as i expounded in several threads, unless the model likes doing nudes (some people like to wrestle alligators, some poeple like to pose nude), and is into doing nudes, or is doing nudes merely to make a few bucks, or thinks she has a future in adult material, whats the point of doing nudes with the caliper (i always liked that word, and so rarely do i get to use it in a sentence, and it makes me feel like Dr Evil) of MM photographers

there are very very few MM photographers that are going to give them awesome, (i'd pay hard money to own that photograph) images.

so whats the point of having anything less than that in your portfolio if you are a model? with the exception of the several reasons i just noted

lets face it, 95% of the MM photogs shooting nudes (or trying to shoot nudes, of any genre) are not bob coulter, et al

cal·i·per also cal·li·per    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (kl-pr)
n.
An instrument consisting essentially of two curved hinged legs, used to measure thickness and distances. Often used in the plural.
A large instrument having a fixed and a movable arm on a graduated stock, used for measuring the diameters of logs and similar objects.
A vernier caliper.

Please don't ever shoot nude with a photographer using calipers...

May 14 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Sure, those who aren't already fantastically accomplished or fantastically well-respected by the peanut gallery (whatever peanut gallery you choose to surround yourself with) should never ever aspire to anything greater than that which whatever peanut gallery tells them they should aspire to.

And I thought you guys were American (scratching head)...

the question as the OP posed it was why werent models on MM interested in doing nude images with MM photogs

im all for as many photogs on MM learning and getting better at it, and  aspiring to be greater at it, and shooting a lot of it every day

crissakes most of them cant get any worst ;->

May 14 06 10:47 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

SLE Photography wrote:
Your work is HARDLY sleazy (there's only one pic that's even borderline) and sometimes it doesn't pay to listen to some of the trash comments...I logged in one day & someone had gone thru & put up nasty comments on every pic in my port with even a hint of nudity.  Their issue, not mine.

shes GORGEOUS and i wish her all the luck but the style that she has up, some still IS definatly sleazy - imho
its may be common to pose that way but it's very OTT GLAM Blatent sex-y and thats maybe what drew the remarks
its NOT that is nude - its the poses, expressions, so if thats what she wants to avoid then look to shoot with more artistic or fashion type style
She no doubt could do anything at all with advice from other styles of shooters maybe

May 14 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

I have noticed that my compute screen does not have a heavy milky white film over it anymore.

May 14 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

Pacific Beach Pictures

Love, Saskatchewan, Canada

I have found if you're outright as the photographer and tell the model how you work it helps. "I'm safe to work with, and don't make passes at my models" in a message arranging the shoot will ease initial anxieties. I've worked with models who "brought some one" and so far had great experiences. For me the so called body guards have helped with grip gear and been in some shots too. Can't speak for all of them, but I've been lucky. As for portfolios, if a model specifies no nudes, I will let them know when I contact them "although my site contains nudity, there is none in this shoot, and I never ask onset". Something like that. If it is a nude shoot, I only contact models who do that and say so, and I let them know right away what my limits are and ask what theirs are. The worst that has ever happened is I don't receive a reply and move on.

May 14 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
To the OP, believe it or not, there are plenty of models who are very comfortable with their bodies, have no sexual hangups, aren't prudish, love nudity, blahblahblah and simply aren't interested in doing nudes or implieds.  Maybe they want to do glam and be some lad-mag covergirl.  Perhaps they have commercial or fashion aspirations.  Maybe they have a 3rd nipple.  They could desire to run for congress one day.  Who knows? 

Some people make it seem as if there's something wrong with a model if she doesn't want to pose nude... as if all it takes is a little convincing or somesuch.  It's the same as that "If you don't :::insert costly recreational habit here::: you're uptight and prudish" mentality.  Please.  Aren't their plenty of models willing and even eager to pose nude?  I see them all the time.  Why even waste mental energy on the ones who aren't interested in what you're shooting?

Did you just refer to yourself in the third person?  Magnificent...

Amazing reply. I couldn't agree more.

May 14 06 11:44 pm Link

Photographer

Alluring Exposures

Casa Grande, Arizona, US

The work you have on there now is awesome. Nothing sleazy about it.
I wish those bible-thumpers would stay in churchinstead of getting online to bother the rest of the real world.

Ami S wrote:

May 14 06 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

Ummm my original post was a commentary on what I perceived as the growing trend of models who outright state "no nudity".  I was trying to ascertain the possible reasons behind this perceived trend.   When it comes down to it I will find what I'm looking for (as my mother always said "every pot has its lid")

Darque

May 14 06 11:57 pm Link

Model

Kayla Donia

Vancouver, Washington, US

I hear ya man. Its stupid reality TV modeling shows ruining things. You got all these average height, average looking girls thinking they can be fashion models and make money shooting clothing ads lol. Alot of girls just have a weird ay of thinking. I shot with a model who didnt want to be involved with ANY types of nudity or even implieds...and she is a STRIPPER!

These average looking girls about 5'5 who think they can go out and make money shooting fashion are going to fins its not that easy, if it was, every girl would be doing it. I think models who arent 5'9 and taller and who dont have the killer looks should consider the more Maxim styled stuff, implied and nudes. At least they have a much better shot at getting paid for their work.

You're just plain rude.

May 14 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Kayla Donia

You're just plain rude. You're saying that girls who aren't sticks and who aren't 6' tall should get naked because they're not going to be able to do anything else? I'd rethink that if I were you.

May 15 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Kayla Donia

You're just plain rude. You're saying that girls who aren't sticks and who aren't 6' tall should get naked because they're not going to be able to do anything else? I'd rethink that if I were you.

Model

Kayla Donia

Model

Kayla Donia

Jay Bowman wrote:
Some people make it seem as if there's something wrong with a model if she doesn't want to pose nude... as if all it takes is a little convincing or somesuch.  It's the same as that "If you don't :::insert costly recreational habit here::: you're uptight and prudish" mentality.

The people who act like that were the ones in hight school saying  "if you'll love me you'll do it," and "Janie and Chris are having sex, so why can't we?"

May 15 06 12:07 am Link

Artist/Painter

jerantino

Kirkland, Washington, US

...Stacy wrote:
yes there was, it's called the tittysnatcher.  Run, Run from the tittysnatcher!!!  RUN!!!!!

This is still crackin' me up.

The rest of you: Lighten up people. You're grown ups in essentially a fetish market; there's someone out there who gets off on hair rollers, ratty bath robes and fuzzy bunny slippers. Bet me.
So if you're going to get in front of or behind a camera, be prepared to take all the feedback you're going to get once you send those images 'out there'. Just because you haven't taken your clothes off doesn't mean there isn't somebody thinking nasty things about you.
Nasty, sexy things.

I'll be in my bunk...

May 15 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Nihilus

Nashville, Tennessee, US

...Stacy wrote:

You have a lot of entertaining us to catch up on, by the way. tongue wink

May 15 06 01:32 am Link

Photographer

Darque

Brooklyn, New York, US

Michael Sloane wrote:
I think it comes down to where you are located and what you are looking to shoot. The more provocative your images the harder it can be to find models.

mike

That's a possibility, I spoke to someone today who said she was thinking of posing for me but because she had a situation where a shoot turned into a porn shoot (she did not work it) she has to feel me out first

Darque

May 16 06 11:27 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Ami S wrote:

Are you kidding me?!  Your stuff is not sleaze...it's teasingly delicious!!  and you can quote me in your profile if you wish!

"Ami is teasingly delicious!"  -- says Christopher Hartman Photography

May 16 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

...Stacy wrote:

Stop calling me that!

May 16 06 11:33 am Link