Forums > General Industry > What do you think of shorter models?

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Meg 784 wrote:
You seriously need to reread what you thought you read.

I quoted you! And here's another one.

Meg 784 wrote:
One is 5'10 the other is 5'2. Keep in mind most reputable agencies only sign a few hundred models if that. The one who is 5'10 can not only do high fashion but beauty ads, cataloge, commercial/print, etc, she can do it all. While the girl who is 5'2 is very limited. It's best for the agency to take on one model who can do it all then a few because one can only do so much.

You want to add to it "a model that can do both,"  and use super models as examples. You did not start out saying that. You started off with just "tall" until you got challenged on it. So whatever... smile

I agree that a short model is limited. But to say the tall one can do it all is simply WRONG.

May 14 06 07:43 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Nobody can do it all there are just too many people that want something different!

May 14 06 07:44 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Angel Tara wrote:

I quoted you!

You want to add to it "a model that can do both,"  and use super models as examples. You did not start out saying that. You started off with just "tall" until you got challenged on it. So whatever... smile

I agree that a short model is limited. But to say the tall one can do it all is simply WRONG.

Where does it say because she is tall she can do everything? THat is not what I said. Read exatly as you quoted.

I quoted Brad which sparked off a discussion between him and I. In one of my replies to him I gave him an example. In the rest of my replies to Brad I have refered to that example.

That example was.
"One is 5'10 the other is 5'2. Keep in mind most reputable agencies only sign a few hundred models if that. The one who is 5'10 can not only do high fashion but beauty ads, cataloge, commercial/print, etc, she can do it all. While the girl who is 5'2 is very limited."

The taller model in my example can do it all just as Nikki Taylor and many many other models. Hence, why I explained in my example what the taller model could do. I was not talking in general. If I was talking generally I would be wrong but I wasn't. I was talking about the model in my example.

May 14 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Meg 784 wrote:

Where does it say because she is tall she can do everything? THat is not what I said. Read exatly as you quoted.

I quoted Brad which sparked off a discussion between him and I. In one of my replies to him I gave him an example. In the rest of my replies to Brad I have refered to that example.

That example was.
"One is 5'10 the other is 5'2. Keep in mind most reputable agencies only sign a few hundred models if that. The one who is 5'10 can not only do high fashion but beauty ads, cataloge, commercial/print, etc, she can do it all. While the girl who is 5'2 is very limited."

The taller model in my example can do it all just as Nikki Taylor and many many other models. Hence, why I explained in my example what the taller model could do. I was not talking in general. If I was talking generally I would be wrong but I wasn't. I was talking about the model in my example.

Jeeze girl, read your words!!

"The one who is 5'10 can not only do high fashion but beauty ads, cataloge, commercial/print, etc, she can do it all.

May 14 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Meg 784 wrote:

That example was.

Not all tall models can!

May 14 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Brad Starks

New York, New York, US

Darkdesire wrote:

I just can't help but notice you have been going back in forth with brad thats why I asked.

Oh I'm not fighting with Meg. We're just talking. Sorry if it seems that way. Meg has a great look and I think she has a very good chance to do well as everyone here does. The discussion were having hits home to me a bit close in a different way.

I was told long time ago that I wasnt good enough to be a photgrapher for a outlandish reason that had no ring of truth to it at all. It was the same lie that I'm sure some agents tell models that they are too short and should get out of the business. Rejection can screw with your head if you dont know what the real story is and the real story is that you can make a career for yourself if you understand how this crazy business works. And it's really not an easy career to get envoled in because you as a model are dependent upon what others think of you & your photos and that sucks but that's what it is.

May 14 06 07:50 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Angel Tara wrote:

Jeeze girl, read your words!!

"The one who is 5'10 can not only do high fashion but beauty ads, cataloge, commercial/print, etc, she can do it all.

LMAO, Read what I just told you. I'm not talking about tall models in general. I was talking about the model in my example.

May 14 06 07:50 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Darkdesire wrote:

Not all tall models can!

I didn't say all tall models can do everything. Again and I've said this over and over again. The model in MY EXAMPLE can. That fictitious person in my example is the ONE I've been referring to. I'm not talking about ALL tall models.

May 14 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Brad Starks wrote:

Oh I'm not fighting with Meg. We're just talking. Sorry if it seems that way. Meg has a great look and I think she has a very good chance to do well as everyone here does. The discussion were having hits home to me a bit close in a different way.

I was told long time ago that I wasnt good enough to be a photgrapher for a outlandish reason that had no ring of truth to it at all. It was the same lie that I'm sure some agents tell models that they are too short and should get out of the business. Rejection can screw with your head if you dont know what the real story is and the real story is that you can make a career for yourself if you understand how this crazy business works. And it's really not an easy career to get envoled in because you as a model are dependent upon what others think of you & your photos and that sucks but that's what it is.

Totally understandable brad. When I first started I was told the things.

1. I was too fat to model
2. I had no look at all
3. of course I was too short

I have now worked with over 30 photographers in short time, and worked hard and proven many people wrong. Now its a matter of where I want to go with things, and which field of modeling to pursue. :-)

P.S you have beautiful work!

May 14 06 07:54 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Meg 784 wrote:
LMAO, Read what I just told you. I'm not talking about tall models in general. I was talking about the model in my example.

Meg, I went back to the beginning of the thread, and on page two, your second post on the subject, is when you began talking about this "model". The only description you gave of her was that she was tall. You didn't say she had a versatile look, etc, etc. You didn't add that until much later. You didn't even mention look until I brought it up.

If I really wanted to nitpick, I'd point out that some tall models may be able to do commercial, fashion, beauty, etc, but NOT import modeling, or playboy etc. You said all..there is no model that can do it all.

May 14 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brad Starks

New York, New York, US

Darkdesire wrote:

Totally understandable brad. When I first started I was told the things.

1. I was too fat to model
2. I had no look at all
3. of course I was too short

I have now worked with over 30 photographers in short time, and worked hard and proven many people wrong. Now its a matter of where I want to go with things, and which field of modeling to pursue. :-)

P.S you have beautiful work!

Great to hear! I'm happy for you.

A really great friend of mine that I started with was told she had no talent and should give it up. We both met and worked together in Chicago years ago. Check out this girls work and tell me what you think...She's a make up and hair stylist....Look at her work and wonder what would have happened if she gave it all up...look at this work and tell me what you think...

http://www.lisaforster.com/

May 14 06 08:03 pm Link

Model

Darkdesire

Tucson, Arizona, US

Brad Starks wrote:

Great to hear! I'm happy for you.

A really great friend of mine that I started with was told she had no talent and should give it up. We both met and worked together in Chicago years ago. Check out this girls work and tell me what you think...She's a make up and hair stylist....Look at her work and wonder what would have happened if she gave it all up...look at this work and tell me what you think...

http://www.lisaforster.com/

she has some fabulous work, and it just goes to show you working hard pays off if you really want something! :-)

May 14 06 08:08 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Angel Tara wrote:
Meg, I went back to the beginning of the thread, and on page two, your second post on the subject, is when you began talking about this "model". The only desription you gave of her was that she was tall. You didn't say she had a versatile look, etc, etc. You didn't add that until much later. You didn't even mention look until I brought it up.

If I really wanted to nitpick, I'd point out that some tall models may be able to do commercial, fashion, beauty, etc, but NOT import modeling, or playboy etc. You said all..there is no model that can do it all.

The reason why I didn't give her a versatile desription was because I didn't think I had to since it was just an example. To me it explained itself. In my other reply to Brad I mentioned the work she could do so people would understand that I'm putting the models at equal footing with the one difference being height. It seemed as though it needed more information at that time because of the reply he gave back. I still in no way said "All tall models can do everything in the industry." That would be incorrect. The model in my example could do it all. I figured that was quite clear. Obviously it wasn't. Many agencies also don't deal with things such as Import and some don't even consider things such as Imports, promotions and Playboy to be modeling. So I wasn't referring to that type of work.

May 14 06 08:12 pm Link