Forums > General Industry > What is a model's job?

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Kevin Connery wrote:
Well, according to one ex-MM member...

The key to this is "ex-".

May 12 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

May 13 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

The key to this is "ex-".

There is that. smile

I hadn't known he was ex- until I looked for the link.

May 13 06 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Silly me, I was under the impression that models have to know how to pose and give different expressions. I have just been informed that the photographer does the posing. If that is the case what I am here for? What is my job?

I think there is a difference between directing a model, explaining your concept, and having her pose.
People who can work well together have a much better chance of producing great images. I always value what a model brings to the shoot, even if she is relatively inexperienced.

May 13 06 05:48 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Silly me, I was under the impression that models have to know how to pose and give different expressions. I have just been informed that the photographer does the posing. If that is the case what I am here for? What is my job?

depends ...
but I tell models all the time ... the model's job is to bring the mood/expression. The photographers job is to capture the essence

May 13 06 06:18 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I have worked woth experienced and in-experienced models.  I have found that the experienced models who know how to pose, seem to take over the posing.  GOOD experienced models take the suggestions that I throw out and make the variations necessary to get a good shot.
The inexperienced models, need guidance.  Not a problem, in time they will learn what poses look good for them and which ones do not.  I have a posing guide that I can pull certain images from and I make little proofs of them so the model can get an idea of what poses might look good.

It is a give-and-take for both parties.  Let the model do what she feels is good and GUIDE her to the vision that you see.   But let her have the freedom to express herself.

May 14 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Brad Starks

New York, New York, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Hi Claire-

It's my thought that the shooting is a team effort that involes everyone. The model should be givin some direction as to the intended mood for the shoot. Once you get on set, you should try to  translate whatever feeling the photographer is trying to get.

Talent in a model (to me) is how effective they are at showing that feeling through their "camera movement" skills. A good model will take direction from the photographer throughout the shooting. Your job as a model is to bring the editorial to life. Youre acting without words. The models that are 2 of the best at this are Shalom Harlow & Linda Evangelista. You could learn a lot by viewing photos of them in magazines.

May 14 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

To read minds and then to execute it.

Wait... that's being a spouse ....

May 14 06 08:15 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Double post.

Sorry, folks... I'm out of practice.

May 14 06 08:16 pm Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

May 26 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Doug Lester wrote:

When someone comes to me for a photo session, they are generally coming to me because they like my posted photos. How do I get those photos? Do I just click away while the model goes through her memorized routine of existing poses? No. I look at the model, at her natural facial expressions. at her body type and her figure, at her skin (coloring and smoothness), and at her natural posture and movement. While I'm doing that, images pop into my head. How could any model possibly know those mental images and duplicate them? How can any model know how light is striking her? How could any model know where light and shadow are located on her face, clothing or torso?

A model's primary job is to know her own body, to know how to bend an arm, neck or leg gracefully and how to listen and follow my directions. It's my job to direct the model into the poses I 'see' in my head.

Well said.

I use to tell my models that they were like a box of clay that had been sent to a potter. The potter has to filter out the sticks and stones before he can decide what to make with this box of clay. Some clay is only good for flower pots, but fine clay can be made into works of art.

Years ago when shooting agency work, the art director often directed the shoot, and I just adjusted the lights, and made the exposure. Today I do both jobs.

Directing is often the more important one.

May 26 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

John W Cochran wrote:
If your paying him, pose how you want.
If he's paying you, pose how he wants.
If theres a director, pose how they tell you.

You are my new god.  I am going to have that carved into granite and placed in the internet model hall of fame.

*walks away feeling like Moses*

May 26 06 02:38 pm Link