Forums > General Industry > UK Members - How Many, and who's active??

Photographer

cyanimages

London, England, United Kingdom

bloodmistress wrote:
iam active and from bristol but find it hard to get any replys of togs on here sad

Hiya Bloodmistress

I'm active, in the UK & a photographer - you're now contacted!

I'd love to work with you the next time you're in London

May 20 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

cyanimages

Hi Blood Mistress

I'm active & a snapper. Want to get together the next time you're in London?

May 20 06 03:45 pm Link

Photographer

cyanimages

Er... don't you just hate it when that happens? Where does the first post go to? & how does it come back? (MUST be digital!)

May 20 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Hellooo!

Was locked out of my account due to tech problems for a while, but I'm back, and active!!!

May 20 06 05:01 pm Link

Model

Corinna

I'm on here and active (except for when my internet connection dies on me) ;-)
x

May 20 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

PhilAntony

Hello everyone

There are about 700 models and 500 UK photographers on here! You wouldn't know it from looking at the Casting Calls and forum posts though!

May 21 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

PhilAntony wrote:
Hello everyone

There are about 700 models and 500 UK photographers on here! You wouldn't know it from looking at the Casting Calls and forum posts though!

Sure you would... 1st... there are the models who won't do TFP and only want paid work - OR - who will only "test" with an MUA + hair dresser + stylist [all out of the photographer's pocket... DUH!!!]; and then... there are the photographers who will only pay a model if they have paying clients, or particular paying outlets, for the work to justify paying the models in the first instance. This pretty much narrows the field to a few models who will do "tests" or TFP and a few photographers who will do "tests" or TFP out of pocket... and in either case there's a lot fewer in both groups than the membership numbers would have you believe.

All in all = very few "casting calls" of either kind [paid / non-paid]... even if you want to include "testing" and / or TFP as a "casting call" [which technically they aren't]

Lastly, and I am well and truly on record here on this point, some of the model's rates are little more than silly money, pie in the sky, pay me that or find someone else,  demands.

One [UK based model] I pointed up a few days ago... no names mentioned... wanted paid once for her time and then paid again for a release. She can shove that idea right up her [you know what]

Fine... I'll do it by street casting my talent... and I do.

Studio36

May 21 06 10:36 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Get real.

There is not enough market in the UK for 700 models, a large proportion of whom are Alt. So they have to charge to stand a chance of making money.

If they charge too much just move on to the next one.

If you dont intend to sell the images, you can either do TPF with whoever is interested or pay up.

Dont knock them for wanting to earn a living.

May 21 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

Steve M

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm active, busy with photography too. smile

Have posted in the Casting Calls but with very little response.

May 21 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Light and Darker

Salisbury, England, United Kingdom

I'm not active - don't even read the forums - let alone post on them .........

May 21 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Bangerman wrote:
Get real.

There is not enough market in the UK for 700 models, a large proportion of whom are Alt. So they have to charge to stand a chance of making money.

Not mainstream models? Can't [or don't want to] change their look to do a wider variety of work? Don't want to take out the piercings or re-dye their day-glo hair? Then their chosen "style" is their own fault and so is their inability to make money because the market for their "look" is somewhere between shit and non-existent. That's not my fault, now, is it?

Bangerman wrote:

I most definitely do just that.

Bangerman wrote:
If you dont intend to sell the images, you can either do TPF with whoever is interested or pay up.

Dont knock them for wanting to earn a living.

I don't shoot "alt" models in the first place so that leaves them ALL out... paid - OR - TFP... but wait a minute, you said in the same breath - "...TPF with whoever is interested or pay up..." - you seem to imply that TFP is somehow "free" - it's bloody not free to ME as the photographer, so from MY standpoint it is pay for one or pay for the other [where there is no intention to shoot, and there are are no, marketable images to recover costs.]

Fuck that! If I can make money from the images I'll pay the model; if I can't they can pay me. I don't run a friggen charity for models, especially alt models, and I am not getting any Lottery money either.

I might do the odd freebie for a new, more conventional, model with some promise... but only maybe once or twice a year. And I'll tell you this, my friend, most of the commercial photographers I know, those earning a living from it, don't do any more free work, and usually less, than I do.

Studio36

May 21 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

studio36uk wrote:

Bangerman wrote:
Get real.

Not mainstream models? Can't [or don't want to] change their look to do a wider variety of work? Don't want to take out the piercings or re-dye their day-glo hair? Then their chosen "style" is their own fault and so is their inability to make money because the market for their "look" is somewhere between shit and non-existent. That's not my fault, now, is it?

Bangerman wrote:

I most definitely do just that.

I don't shoot "alt" models in the first place so that leaves them ALL out... paid - OR - TFP... but wait a minute, you said in the same breath - "...TPF with whoever is interested or pay up..." - you seem to imply that TFP is somehow "free" - it's bloody not free to ME as the photographer, so from MY standpoint it is pay for one or pay for the other [where there is no intention to shoot, and there are are no, marketable images to recover costs.]

Fuck that! If I can make money from the images I'll pay the model; if I can't they can pay me. I don't run a friggen charity for models and I am not getting any Lottery money either.

Studio36

Heh.
You talk as if Alt models cant actually do more than one look,Many of them seem to be happy enough to chop and change styles fairly easily.
Plus a chosen style isnt always their fault..it may be the only area they fit into as most of the specifications for "fashion" and glamour tend to be rather specific and there are already an AWFUL lot of models out there who DO fit the bill perfectly.

As for TFP being free I agree with you that is is far from free .. on TFP shoots ALONE this last six months I have forked out nearly a grand in travel/accomodation and outfits.

May 21 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Sirensong wrote:
Heh.
You talk as if Alt models cant actually do more than one look,Many of them seem to be happy enough to chop and change styles fairly easily.
Plus a chosen style isnt always their fault..it may be the only area they fit into as most of the specifications for "fashion" and glamour tend to be rather specific and there are already an AWFUL lot of models out there who DO fit the bill perfectly.

You are right... the UK is awash with more conventional models. If there was a substantial paying market for alt I would shoot alt; there isn't and I don't.

Sirensong wrote:
As for TFP being free I agree with you that is is far from free .. on TFP shoots ALONE this last six months I have forked out nearly a grand in travel/accomodation and outfits.

Then you need to ask yourself why that is... and why you aren't consistently getting paying work... or any paying work at all if that is the case.

Ahhh, the world of Internet modelling. Sigh!

Studio36

May 21 06 12:41 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

studio36uk wrote:
You are right... the UK is awash with more conventional models. If there was a substantial market for alt I would shoot alt; there isn't and I don't.

Then you need to ask yourself why that is... and why you aren't consistently getting paying work... or any paying work at all if that is the case.

Ahhh, the world of Internet modelling. Sigh!

Studio36

LMAO.
Actually I am published "offline"  and signed with a well known agency too so I can gloat over the fact that I am not purely an internet model big_smile
You seem to miss the fact that I DO get paying work fairly regularly ,It doesnt stop me doing TFP however as they tend to be the ones that are the most fun.
Paid work is about what they the photographer wants not at all about a collaberation of ideas and I certainly dont get the imput.
Mind you saying that where do you think I GOT the grand to fork out in the first place?
That added to the fact that you yourself said there are 700 models in the UK most of them Alt and most of them doing TFP it cuts down the paying market somewhat.

May 21 06 12:46 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Sirensong wrote:
That added to the fact that you yourself said there are 700 models in the UK most of them Alt and most of them doing TFP it cuts down the paying market somewhat.

No, actually that was Bangerman that came up with both the number and the comment about the alt market.

I merely agreed, from my point of view, with his assessment. If I take photos of 20 models, 19 alt models and 1 with more conventional looks, but who might only be an average looking  "so so" model, to one of my clients they would pick the average looking "so so" BUT conventional model, every time. I couldn't give an alt model away to a client even if I threw in a pint and a bag of crisps.

Studio36

May 21 06 01:38 pm Link

Model

Sirensong

studio36uk wrote:

No, actually that was Bangerman that came up with both the number and the comment about the alt market.

I merely agreed, from my point of view, with his assessment. If I take photos of 20 models, 19 alt models and 1 with more conventional looks, but who might only be an average looking  "so so" model, to one of my clients they would pick the average looking "so so" BUT conventional model, every time. I couldn't give an alt model away to a client even if I threw in a pint and a bag of crisps.

Studio36

What flavour crisps?

There is a market for Alt modelling but you have to be "into" that market any I think to be willing to make any money out of it.
I will agree though that the money tends to be pretty low and there are less jobs than when you compare it to "everyday" commercial modelling.
You dont cater for the Alt market so therefore dont have a use for Alt models in the same way that those photographers that DO cater for it have little use for the more conventional model apart from perhaps the role of victim.

Then again after the Eurovision result last night I think there may be more fans of the Alt scene than was first thought big_smile big_smile

May 21 06 01:47 pm Link

Model

Violeteyes

Grimsby, England, United Kingdom

Im VioletEyes active on here when i get chance to get on the computer smile

Although as stated earlier its hard to get work from people in the UK all offers on here seem to be in the USA which is fine for 2 weeks a year *lol*.

May 21 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

1972 Productions

Cebu, Central Visayas, Philippines

Very active and very British!  But I live in NY now - perhaps that's why no one understands me when I speak english??

Know what I mean govenor?

May 21 06 03:08 pm Link

Model

HollyRed Fashion

I am Holly, 21 year old part time model living in Leicester over summer, and also have a house in Oxford/London area, where I will be after September. If you're ever looking for an English Rose / Pre Raphaelite look I may be your girl, and anything fiery with my red hair adds a zesty splash of colour to any portfolio. I work to implied nude, am reliable, very friendly and open-minded.

Some very interesting ideas going on here from different viewpoints... when it comes to pay it is tough sometimes! I think you need to have a lot of respect for each other as yes everyone is trying to earn a living, whether the internet site is the main or sideline source of money (Net-Model seems more UK based is everyone on that as well?)
I have mostly done tfcd work so far, but normally ask for some help towards travel expense. Now i have built up a bit of better portfolio and experience I feel more confident to seek paid work, and feel lucky enough to be chosen for some paid assignments through summer, from photographers who can afford to pay as it is a paid assignment for them.
I'm a Fine Art student and will need even more money for my final year at university to fund materials, equipment and final show costs. So although I am so grateful to find paid work, I do also have a normal job, and if I love a photographer's work and style, I am happy to travel to them as I know it will benefit me and be a brilliant experience. You have to compromise, and sometimes you're out of pocket, but you have to assess what it is worth to you. If you're a photographer and you have you're heart set on a particular unique model I think you should be willing to pay them, because sometimes getting a cheaper model just won't get the final stunning image you were hoping for. At the same time as a model you may be getting paid by a beginner tog that really needs you but not get such good images.
There are contradictions everywhere, and I can understand how it is frustrating on both sides sometimes, and I do agree some models can be very demanding, I have read some posts and they clearly don't look very established or professional but they speak as if you should be also bowing to them as you enter the room as well as paying their sky high prices!
At the end of the day it takes two. And you need compromise and understanding.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in a green eyed, red haired, fair skinned, slim and friendly model with a positive, creative attitude, have a read of my profile and send me a message if you'd like to work in future.

Take care, Holly x

Jun 13 06 05:40 am Link

Model

Kerosene Deluxe

Langley, British Columbia, Canada

I'm active! and London based..

Jun 13 06 08:15 am Link

Photographer

Attractive Portraits

*Jumping up and down* Oh Oh Oh Me Me ME!

I'm based in Hertfordshire and Im looking for Mod's and MUA's!

Did you hear about the Panda photographer....He eats, shoots, and leaves!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*watches tumble weed blow accross forum as no one laughs*

Nice to meet fellow Brits at least!

wink

Jun 13 06 08:25 am Link

Model

Jane Weiss

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm pretty active on here... and from Nottingham smile So yes there are some UK people around... i'm glad i discovered this thread because i often wonder myself if there are any smile

Jun 13 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Attractive Portraits

I haven't had a MM model yet... all my models are local to me and haven't joined yet. Any one want to be my first MM shoot?

I've got some serious work for any local MUA too!

Im getting more urban in my style... watch this space.

Charlie.

Jun 13 06 08:51 am Link

Model

Kerosene Deluxe

Langley, British Columbia, Canada

Sirensong wrote:

Heh.

I agree I'm considered an 'alt' model but have no problems whatsoever in looking more commercial for shoots etc..as one can tell from my work I adjust the look to what is required by the photographer, if the job is right I'll take of the make up, chop off and dye my hair blond if needed...though I have tattoos I have in the past covered them up with special make up etc..

Jun 14 06 06:20 am Link

Model

Tanyazaki

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

im from uk smile lincolnshire

Jun 14 06 06:24 am Link

Photographer

areweshooting

Hey, have i missed the boat... hold it, wait, I'm here, I'm active!!!

My names Toks and I'm a Photoholic[TM] - Not sure if I still qualify as a new photographer but I still feel new, especially when I trash a roll of film with one silly mistake or another ;-) I've shot with three MMers so far and have at least as many planned. I only shoot film. I only shoot TFP. I'll always shoot TFP. I hustle for tips and sandwiches in the arena of Arts and Entertainment to be able to afford to shoot TFP. I'm applying the 'build it and they will come' approach to making any money at all from this... but if they don't come, the building is compensation enough.

I also write.

At times poorly.

Jun 14 06 07:02 am Link

Model

Tanyazaki

Lincoln, England, United Kingdom

im very active and very versitile i have done preety much everything lol i like change, hope ev1 is ok here x

tanya

Jun 14 06 07:07 am Link

Model

Skippie

Hey
Im here
Im active (trying)
I just dont post much, I genrally just read

Jun 14 06 10:46 am Link

Model

Skippie

studio36uk wrote:

Studio36

I think i would class myself as an alternative person, but i have my natuiral hair colour and the only think i have pearced is my belly, i would have no worriess about takeing it out though. Other than that, So long as Im not expected to provide the more normal clothes, Id were anything solong as i was sufficently covered.

Jun 14 06 10:53 am Link

Model

Magnoliamodel

i am active tongue

Jun 17 06 09:44 am Link

Model

lorna

Brighton, England, United Kingdom

im active !!! smile

Jun 17 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Frisson

I was born the UK and moved to the states last year. Any models or photographers who find themselves near NW Louisiana will receive preferential consideration for shoots (models) or a helping hand (photographers).

Aside from TV and phone calls from my Mum it's been a while since I heard a British accent.

Terry

Jul 07 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Ward Photography

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm from the uk too --- Birmingham! sad

Jul 07 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

meeeeeeeeee meeeeeeeeee meeeeeeeeeeeeeee OXFORD UP IN HERE!!!!

Jul 07 06 12:51 pm Link

Model

Huma

Me too - based in London, but travel all over. 

RE paid v TFP work - a model has to earn a living just like anyone else.  It's stupid not to work TFP and charge silly rates when you don't have a portfolio or an agency who will pay for one - you just won't get the work - but every model at some point has to stop or limit TFP work in order to focus on paid assignments. 

Personally, I love doing TFP with talented photographers who are going to be collaborative and add something special to my book, but not the ones who expect all models to pose for free AND take their clothes off in exchange for a CD.

Why should a photographer get so offended if a model expects to get paid for her work?  At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.  I don't expect every successful, professional tog to give away his time and spend money on prints just for the privilege of working with me!

Jul 08 06 09:23 am Link

Model

cassiemakeup

I'm here & active although not often on the forums...

Full time model & MUA smile

Jul 09 06 05:51 am Link

Makeup Artist

JamesC Lost Creatives

Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom

I'm on the west coast of Scotland, near to glasgow

James

Jul 09 06 07:35 am Link

Photographer

Squire Photography

me!
woo

Jul 09 06 09:22 am Link

Model

Angela Benedict

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

I'm Angela and I'm in Derbyshire. I'll be relocating to Norwich soon due to the cheap ass commute to London though.

Jul 09 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Ian Richardson

Gloucester, England, United Kingdom

I'm active too. Probably radio-active smile

I'm in Birmingham too. I hardly ever post anything though.

Jul 09 06 10:47 am Link