Forums > General Industry > Photogz don't like phat girlz?

Model

DeliciousVodkaDeBlair

Hawthorne, California, US

Well, I know that the industry is INSANELY discriminatory, I know a lotta guys dig chicks with "back" and CURVES! Oh well, until this world of faux fashion wakes up to the REAL what's goin on out there, a lotta good girlz r gonna be denied good paying gigs and have to resort to smut ragz to make any money for their totally fine looks. I know because that's the ONLY offers I ever get.

But if tere just HAPPENS to be any good decent honest photogz out there who are more open minded than that, feel free to drop me a line!

Delicious Vodka DeBlair, relatively new member here.

May 07 06 12:56 am Link

Photographer

Hugh Jorgen

Ashland, Oregon, US

Well i myself like them all!!

Cause thier all Hotties...

(:------

Hj

May 07 06 01:09 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

I understand your viewpoint. On the other hand, I like models who produce images for which clients pay. And the sad truth is that plus-sized models have a very limited market. On a personal level, I agree, that's very unfortunate.

But on a professional level, that's just the way it is - just like there is no market for slow track runners, small football tackles, or unintelligent physicists.

May 07 06 01:12 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Word.

May 07 06 01:18 am Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

This should be good.
https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/nakedkatie2000/Smiley/emot-munch.gif

May 07 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

DeliciousDeBlair wrote:
Well, I know that the industry is INSANELY discriminatory, I know a lotta guys dig chicks with "back" and CURVES! Oh well, until this world of faux fashion wakes up to the REAL what's goin on out there, a lotta good girlz r gonna be denied good paying gigs and have to resort to smut ragz to make any money for their totally fine looks. I know because that's the ONLY offers I ever get.

But if tere just HAPPENS to be any good decent honest photogz out there who are more open minded than that, feel free to drop me a line!

What is smut ragz?

Aer you talking about publications that will pay photographers?

May 07 06 01:41 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nemi wrote:
This should be good.

Pass dat.  Don't be stingy.

On a side note I have no love for anybody that still uses the euphamism "phat".

May 07 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Ransom J wrote:

Pass dat.  Don't be stingy.

On a side note I have no love for anybody that still uses the euphamism "phat".

"Phat",  means NFL size large.

May 07 06 01:48 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

hmm, the OP may not know it, but she just opened up a can of worms...

*slithers into corner to watch*

May 07 06 01:52 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

DeliciousDeBlair wrote:

How do you determine which pluralized words are to be ended in "z" and which ones are to be ended in "s"?

May 07 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Nikki S. wrote:
hmm, the OP may not know it, but she just opened up a can of worms...

*slithers into corner to watch*

***hands Nikki  some fun size snikers and a dr. pepper***

May 07 06 01:55 am Link

Photographer

Jonathan D Holloway

Dallas, Texas, US

Just checking. Do you mean phat or fat? I've always used phat in the sense of "wicked cool" or dope, stupid, gnarly, bitchin', and/or "the sh1t." Actually, I've never really been too successful with either fat or phat. They either get me beat up or thrown out.
-----
I'm no expert at this particular subject and haven't really seen but one photograph from your portfolio, but maybe it's not the models at all. Maybe it's the photography in their portfolios that isn't helping?

Tear a page out of Nikki S's portfolio. She's got it going on. The Panache image has the hair, makeup, styling. She is da' bomb! If she isn't getting work in non-smutz modeling, then the cause is probably lost to most.

Just trying to put a positive spin on a thread with an otherwise bleak outlook.
Now I have to go shizzle my fizzle in the fashizzitz--or something to that effect.

May 07 06 02:20 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Chris Ambler wrote:
I understand your viewpoint. On the other hand, I like models who produce images for which clients pay. And the sad truth is that plus-sized models have a very limited market. On a personal level, I agree, that's very unfortunate.

But on a professional level, that's just the way it is - just like there is no market for slow track runners, small football tackles, or unintelligent physicists.

I agree whole heartedly, plus the fact that I am like "shallow Hal" of the photography world.."
But BIG Girls need love tooo!!!

May 07 06 02:31 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

DeliciousDeBlair wrote:
a lotta good girlz r gonna ... have to resort to smut ragz to make any money for their totally fine looks.  I know because that's the ONLY offers I ever get.

I took a look at your profile.  After reading the text, what else do you expect?!?  You list that you "specialize" in "Dominatrix ... Military Sensual ... Lesbian Sensual ... Solo Sensaual" (among others.)  What, exactly, is "military sensual", anyway? 

Honestly, it sounds like you want to pose for photographs while wearing leather dom gear, a gun in hand, with a naked lesbian, while you masturbate.  And you're tired of being offered "smut" photo sessions?

If you dress up like Halloween, ghouls will try to get into your panties.  How you advertise yourself has a lot to do with the offers you will get.

May 07 06 02:38 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

William Kious wrote:
If you dress up like Halloween, ghouls will try to get into your panties.

Thanks for the advice!

May 07 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

James Andrew Imagery

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The OP is confusing to say the least.  Her profile does have a strong XXX-adult overtone to it with regard to her work desires.  She further implies that she has friends who were killed in the course of modelling, and therefore insists on references.

Hmm. Ok...

Then this.

A complaint about photographers not wanting to photograph 'phat' women?

This seems a little...out there.

Could it be...perhaps...just maybe, that the kind of photographers you seek aren't interested in the kind of work you DO, as at least part of the equation?

May 07 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Nemi wrote:
This should be good.

-Sits next to ya and shares a giant bowl of popcorn-

May 07 06 03:04 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Boulevard

Sacramento, California, US

Wynd Mulysa wrote:
How do you determine which pluralized words are to be ended in "z" and which ones are to be ended in "s"?

- deep belly laugh, with tears-

May 07 06 03:06 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DeliciousDeBlair wrote:

Let's see.  Between your post here and your profile you manage to insult the fashion industry and it's practitioners, and then photographers in general.  You list a preferred modeling specialty and show no pictures from that specialty.  You claim "countless" requests for shoots, and yet every picture on your profile is from the same shoot, to which you claim the copyright (which will offend some other people).  Finally, your ideosyncratic use of the language will put off many people as well.

There are plenty of reasons for people to pass on working with you besides your size.  It's almost as though you had gone out of your way to hang a "Don't work with me" sign out.

May 07 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Burgos Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I thought PHAT stood for Pretty, Hot, and Tempting. :shrug:

May 07 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

Griblex

Hartland, Wisconsin, US

And here I thought it was a Chris Tucker reference when he called Heather Locklear "PHAT".  He then explains. "Not fat...P-H-A-T.  Pretty Hot And Tempting."

I SO know that I need to get out more.  ::grin::

-M

May 07 06 08:09 am Link

Photographer

Griblex

Hartland, Wisconsin, US

JNB Photography wrote:
I thought PHAT stood for Pretty, Hot, and Tempting. :shrug:

I swear to god that was not here when I started writeing...  ::laughing::

May 07 06 08:10 am Link

Photographer

Burgos Photography

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Griblex wrote:
And here I thought it was a Chris Tucker reference when he called Heather Locklear "PHAT".  He then explains. "Not fat...P-H-A-T.  Pretty Hot And Tempting."

I SO know that I need to get out more.  ::grin::

-M

Haha! I beat you to it! Kind of :-p

May 07 06 08:11 am Link

Model

sunshyne

League City, Texas, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Let's see.  Between your post here and your profile you manager to insult the fashion industry and it's practitioners, and then photographers in general.  You list a preferred modeling specialty and show no pictures from that specialty.  You claim "countless" requests for shoots, and yet every picture on your profile is from the same shoot, to which you claim the copyright (which will offend some other people).  Finally, your ideosyncratic use of the language will put off many people as well.

There are plenty of reasons for people to pass on working with you besides your size.  It's almost as though you had gone out of your way to hang a "Don't work with me" sign out.

*tears streaming down face with laughter* OMG.....i can't breath!!! LMAO....but damn u gotta point lol......i haven't felt the wind breeze between my thighs since i went to alabama for the summer when i was 6 lol......but i get craploads of offers and honestly most photogs (if they wanna work with u) are only gonna go "there" if its implied that YOU "go there"

May 07 06 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Troy Council

Brooklyn, New York, US

Phat or Fat... Ummm ok. Well I'm doing a photo shoot today with a few plus size models. So not all photographers dislike shooting plus models. Everyone is equal in front of my lens as long as their checks clear smile

May 07 06 08:16 am Link

Model

Suellen

Arlington, Georgia, US

Troy Council wrote:
Phat or Fat... Ummm ok. Well I'm doing a photo shoot today with a few plus size models. So not all photographers dislike shooting plus models. Everyone is equal in front of my lens as long as their checks clear smile

Wow! you all basically covered my thoughts and then some!
Dose of reality cures....maybe....

May 07 06 09:15 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

When you have nothing but 4 of (almost) the same shot of your face and you put in your profile that you're only seeking paid assignments who else do you think is going to want to hire you except creepy GWCs who just want to see your tits? Plenty of big girls get great work...go look up Shyly...she's even bigger than you and she's a fabulous model who gets amazing tasteful work. And yeah...it probably doesn't help that you use the word sensual 3 times in one sentence in your "about me" section.

May 07 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:
When you have nothing but 4 of (almost) the same shot of your face and you put in your profile that you're only seeking paid assignments who else do you think is going to want to hire you except creepy GWCs who just want to see your tits? Plenty of big girls get great work...go look up Shyly...she's even bigger than you and she's a fabulous model who gets amazing tasteful work. And yeah...it probably doesn't help that you use the word sensual 3 times in one sentence in your "about me" section.

I think her middle name "Vodka", tell the whole story. smile

May 07 06 09:57 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Ransom J wrote:

***hands Nikki  some fun size snikers and a dr. pepper***

i really shouldnt have the snickers but i suppose just a few wont hurt, and make that a diet dr pepper berries and cream, yum!

May 07 06 10:02 am Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Jonathan D Holloway wrote:
Just checking. Do you mean phat or fat? I've always used phat in the sense of "wicked cool" or dope, stupid, gnarly, bitchin', and/or "the sh1t." Actually, I've never really been too successful with either fat or phat. They either get me beat up or thrown out.
-----
I'm no expert at this particular subject and haven't really seen but one photograph from your portfolio, but maybe it's not the models at all. Maybe it's the photography in their portfolios that isn't helping?

Tear a page out of Nikki S's portfolio. She's got it going on. The Panache image has the hair, makeup, styling. She is da' bomb! If she isn't getting work in non-smutz modeling, then the cause is probably lost to most.

Just trying to put a positive spin on a thread with an otherwise bleak outlook.
Now I have to go shizzle my fizzle in the fashizzitz--or something to that effect.

wow! thank you very much big_smile  *turns red*

But like a photographer told me, the images you have in your port will define the type of work you get.

May 07 06 10:03 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Griblex wrote:

I swear to god that was not here when I started writeing...  ::laughing::

DAMN!!! THAT WAS MY MOVIE!! MONEY TALKS CORRECT?

May 07 06 10:15 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Is it just me or does the OP look like BETH from the real world road rules CHALLENGE????!

May 07 06 10:18 am Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Damn...no caffeine yet today, so I'll bite.  But you guys better darn well share those snickers and popcorn snacks ;-)...

Aside from the fact that you have no experience, no more than one photographer's work in your portfolio, and a rather tenuous grasp of the English language...you are not plus-sized, in my humble opinion. 

Plus-sized models are...pay attention...IN PROPORTION for their size.  They are tall, like mainstream "models", have the usual "model attributes" (shiny hair, clear skin, perfect teeth, etc.), and therefore can find work in the (albeit small) world of plus size modeling.  Models in the plus size genre are - to put it plainly - real lookers.

What you appear to be is just plain overweight.  I'm sorry...but that's the sad reality.  Too many "fat" girls are unwilling to do the necessary work (and I'm not just talking here about diet and exercise) to attain model looks - and thus get modeling work.  Instead, they want to rest on their laurels and complain about the industry, as if *every* industry doesn't have its own set of unfair odds.  Perhaps if you spent some time cleaning up your profile, examining yourself as *others* will do, and...oh, I don't know...saved all the bitching about the "industry" for when you've actually been a part of it...you'd be doing better in your craft.

In addition, for someone who labels them "smut ragz", you appear in your profile to have more than a passing interest in several of the "genres" those "ragz" cover.

OK...can I have some popcorn now, guys :-)?

May 07 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

MaryPetiteModel wrote:
Damn...no caffeine yet today, so I'll bite.  But you guys better darn well share those snickers and popcorn snacks ;-)...

Aside from the fact that you have no experience, no more than one photographer's work in your portfolio, and a rather tenuous grasp of the English language...you are not plus-sized, in my humble opinion. 

Plus-sized models are...pay attention...IN PROPORTION for their size.  They are tall, like mainstream "models", have the usual "model attributes" (shiny hair, clear skin, perfect teeth, etc.), and therefore can find work in the (albeit small) world of plus size modeling.  Models in the plus size genre are - to put it plainly - real lookers.

What you appear to be is just plain overweight.  I'm sorry...but that's the sad reality.  Too many "fat" girls are unwilling to do the necessary work (and I'm not just talking here about diet and exercise) to attain model looks - and thus get modeling work.  Instead, they want to rest on their laurels and complain about the industry, as if *every* industry doesn't have its own set of unfair odds.  Perhaps if you spent some time cleaning up your profile, examining yourself as *others* will do, and...oh, I don't know...saved all the bitching about the "industry" for when you've actually been a part of it...you'd be doing better in your craft.

In addition, for someone who labels them "smut ragz", you appear in your profile to have more than a passing interest in several of the "genres" those "ragz" cover.

I applaud you for your honesty.

May 07 06 11:35 am Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

MaryPetiteModel wrote:

I think I just peed myself laughing...I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said it...*applauds* If people are comfortable with being fat, more power to them...but if you're going to put yourself in a career where you're going to be judged on your looks...well...expect to be judged on your looks. I get crap all the time about being too skinny, but that's the price I pay for putting my photos up for the world to see...therefore I don't complain about it.

May 07 06 01:15 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Are we sure this is a real profile and a real person?  I have my doubts.

May 07 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

Kaitlin Lara

Shyly wrote:

Nope...we're not...but if you look up you'll see some gratuitous Shyly-butt-kissing smile

May 07 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

DeliciousDeBlair wrote:
a lotta good girlz r gonna be denied good paying gigs

Not "denied" - you mean "not chosen"

See here's how it works: I get to spend my money how I want to, and I get to choose who I hire and for what, and why. If I like girls that weigh 270lbs, I hire them. If I like girls who weigh 95lbs, I hire them. If I like girls that weight 2750lbs, I hire them. It's as simple as that.

I like girls that are toned, slender, and fit. I hire them. Not you. If you're talking about this as a business proposition, the seller has to be offering what the buyer is willing to pay for.

mjr.

May 07 06 01:22 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Kaitlin Lara wrote:

I think I just peed myself laughing...I knew it was only a matter of time before someone said it...*applauds* If people are comfortable with being fat, more power to them...but if you're going to put yourself in a career where you're going to be judged on your looks...well...expect to be judged on your looks. I get crap all the time about being too skinny, but that's the price I pay for putting my photos up for the world to see...therefore I don't complain about it.

I'm just glad someone went through the criteria of what a plus model(commercial) is. By the way what the hell is sensual modeling??I don't want to see this woman get sensual with her self *bites nails nervously*.

May 07 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Shyly wrote:

Could be, there're a lot of self-deluded people out there
All of the other comments made about size, looks, poor self advertising, etc, the goals listed in the profile seem a bit of a stretch from a realistic point of view for someone who's 39
All other sins aside, one thing that is vitrtually impossible is STARTING in this business at that age
That's one of the worst predjudices, albeit for understandable reasons, there is when it comes to modeling

May 07 06 01:27 pm Link