Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > skin texture brushes or templates

Photographer

rey sison photography

Los Angeles, California, US

When retouching headshots, I sometimes find that models have poor skin texture. Usually as a result of acne scarring. So, even though I don't want to create plastic smooth skin, I don't want to use the original scarred texture either. I understand that there are skin texture templates or brushes that can be bought or obtained free on certain websites. My googling attempts haven't yielded anything. Anybody know anything about this? Thanks.

Jun 04 09 09:59 am Link

Photographer

UNCOMMON Stock

Pompano Beach, Florida, US

Why not make one of your own? Use an image of skin that you like and make a custom brush. It's basically just a textured b&w image. You can make one for the face and one for other parts of the body.

just a thought...

M

Jun 04 09 10:02 am Link

Photographer

rey sison photography

Los Angeles, California, US

UNCOMMON Stock wrote:
Why not make one of your own? Use an image of skin that you like and make a custom brush. It's basically just a textured b&w image. You can make one for the face and one for other parts of the body.

just a thought...

M

Good thought. I need to learn about making brushes. I am still a novice. Thanks.

Jun 04 09 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Hipgnosis Dreams

Dallas, Texas, US

rey sison photography wrote:

Good thought. I need to learn about making brushes. I am still a novice. Thanks.

Skin texture maps are easy to make.  Use strong side lighting to really ramp up the texture, grayscale it, then use it as a displacement map.

Jun 04 09 10:09 am Link

Photographer

j_forbes

Portsmouth, England, United Kingdom

UNCOMMON Stock wrote:
Why not make one of your own?

M

please i like to know how to do this too

Jun 04 09 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Sungoddess Studios

Keyport, New Jersey, US

I am an airbrush fan, being older that is how we used to do it in the dark ages. not being proficient enough with photoshop and cloning tool this seems to work faster for me.

Jun 04 09 10:10 am Link

Model

Nikki the pixel NiNja

Montpelier, Ohio, US

DEVIANTART.COM!
type skin texture brushes in the search and when you find one click on it.
theres a dowload option to the left. hit save when the window pops up and you can use it anytime.
i keep a document for all my brushes and most came from my never fail site deviantart

Jun 07 09 08:46 pm Link