Forums > General Industry > Why are there so many Flakey models on MM

Photographer

IM Photography

Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, US

I started a project with a local automobile customizer in Brooklyn. He needed models to pose with autos he has worked on for publication in magazines and other venues.
The models would be compensated monitaraly and with copies of the images on disc.
I must have contacted about 15 models so far and only 3 have replied with a yes or no answer. I have yet to hear from the others. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY UNPROFESSIONAL PEOPLE ON THIS SITE? I don't think it is so difficult to give a YES or NO response to a request.

May 02 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well, for one thing, it's free.
Did you check their portfolio page and see when the last time they were logged in to MM? Some don't check in here after their initial setting up.

May 02 06 09:07 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

A lot of people on here arent really models. And when is this? I would love to work with you! Anyone who ignored you is crazy and unprofessional.

May 02 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

why is the sky blue?

same answer

May 02 06 09:09 am Link

Photographer

DSP_Productions

Lexington, Kentucky, US

is the answer in the MM WELCOME "with a myspace feel to it"

just checking.

my expectations towards mm have changed dramatically as a result of the lack of courtesy and professionalism.

now I am left wondering if there is an inner club behind the golden backdrop where those who take their work seriously hang out?

I understand that this is the internet and the issues are on both sides of the coin, photographers and models.

the sorting game continues.

later,
david

May 02 06 09:18 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

Why are there so many unprofessional anyones?  It's everywhere in every job and ever field and every day in life....it sucks but it's life....

I'm a full-time hobbyist but I take it very seriously

May 02 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

IM Photography

I'm beginning to feel the same way David. Thanks

May 02 06 09:21 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
Why are there so many unprofessional anyones?  It's everywhere in every job and ever field and every day in life....it sucks but it's life....

I'm a full-time hobbyist but I take it very seriously

I agree...and I'd say more, but bitching and moaning won't make people follow through. Either they're serious, or they're not. There is no "grey" area with me.

May 02 06 09:22 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

IM Photography wrote:
I started a project with a local automobile customizer in Brooklyn. He needed models to pose with autos he has worked on for publication in magazines and other venues.
The models would be compensated monitaraly and with copies of the images on disc.
I must have contacted about 15 models so far and only 3 have replied with a yes or no answer. I have yet to hear from the others. WHY ARE THERE SO MANY UNPROFESSIONAL PEOPLE ON THIS SITE? I don't think it is so difficult to give a YES or NO response to a request.

Welcome to the internet.

I would suggest for important jobs, it's best to go with an agency.

May 02 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

While I've had some disapointments here, I've had many more positive experiences than I ever had on that other site.

May 02 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

IM Photography

Thanks Clair, What i do is send your profile # to the owner of the shop and the he decides if the model woud be what he is looking for.

May 02 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

BCI Photo wrote:
Welcome to the internet.

I would suggest for important jobs, it's best to go with an agency.

Yes...that's what I dont understand...why people dont use the tried and true traditional method...Agencies and Agents and legit management firms/agencies.....

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

i heard models.com is the best, but u gotta pay for it!!

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

One big reason nobody ever addresses is the fact that [almost] everybody coddles them, even as they're screwing up.  For some [usually intelligent] people, nothing ever seems to be the model's fault -- but they'll cheerfully string up any photographer who so much as gives a model the wrong brand of bottled water.  The sooner we stop enabling, flakey, unaccountable, amateur behavior, the sooner it will disappear.

May 02 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

3 out of 15 is a good response in any solicitation.

the 12 who did not respond....   It would be fairly safe to assume they are not interested.

May 02 06 09:28 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
One big reason nobody ever addresses is the fact that [almost] everybody coddles them, even as they're screwing up.  For some [usually intelligent] people, nothing ever seems to be the model's fault -- but they'll cheerfully string up any photographer who so much as gives a model the wrong brand of bottled water.  The sooner we stop enabling, flakey, unaccountable, amateur behavior, the sooner it will disappear.

Which is why I coddle not a one.

May 02 06 09:30 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

IM Photography wrote:

Hi- I'd like to hear more about this opportunity. Please take a look at my port if you're interested. Thanks!

ps- I know that doesn't answer your question, but I live in NJ and I'm not a flake.

-D-

May 02 06 09:34 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Chili wrote:
why is the sky blue?

same answer

Color refraction is the answer as to why there are so many flakes on here?

;-)

-D-

May 02 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

IM Photography

I used to be a member of OMP. I paid alot of mony for nothing. I also tried agency's but found that their models were just as unreliable or not what i need for the project in question.

May 02 06 09:36 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

It gets frustrating when one comes across flakey models.(I am sure there are flakey photogs out there too but..)  I wish there was a way we could spot them right off the bat LOL, but there are some great ones here too.

It's kinda like that quote from Forrest Gump, " Life is like a box of chocolates. You'll never know what you're gonna get". but at least you are assured of a piece of chocolate.  With flakey models, it's the disappointing waiting for nothing that gets me (flaking out on scheduled shoots and just not showing up) A courtesy cancellation call would be nice, but no..... I guess it's probably the immaturity on their part to not owe up to the responsibilities of being an adult.

May 02 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

IM Photography wrote:
I used to be a member of OMP. I paid alot of mony for nothing. I also tried agency's but found that their models were just as unreliable or not what i need for the project in question.

Dude, leave "Bobs Models and 10 Minute Oil Change" like spots alone.

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Welcome to the world of INTERNET models........go out and find models the OLD FASHIONED way with business cards.......throw out 50 and your get 25/30 calling back especially if the models don`t have to get naked and if the client`s paying CHRIST they would be stupid not to show up

Some women do this JUST for attention....not to be professional or to make money, it`s those with emotional issues and mental probs you don`t need anyway

Good Luck and Good Shooting!

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:
The sooner we stop enabling, flakey, unaccountable, amateur behavior, the sooner it will disappear.

Nice notion.  Unfortunately the mission statement of this site is geared toward the hobbyist that allows entry for all.  Sadly, the site uses the term "model" in its name to gain credibility without regard to the craft that distinguishes those deserving of the title and those pretending.

Is it any wonder many of the new members are coming from MySpace and not from the working ranks that can help people move forward? 

Perhaps my pal Bruce says it best, "I ain't here for business, I'm only here for fun!...Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny, la la la."

May 02 06 09:48 am Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

Lord, if you approached me with such an offer, You would get sick of hearing from me smile

Oh well, Could just be they have not seen your mail to them.

Good luck anyway.

Lucy.

May 02 06 09:48 am Link

Model

Sno E Blac

Los Angeles, California, US

These "unprofessional models" may still be contemplating or they just don't feel it is necessary to respond if they are not interested. For future reference you should state in the emails that you sent out that you need to have a definite answer by a certain date. If you don't hear from them, there's your answer. Hopefully things will work out better next time around!
Jen

May 02 06 09:51 am Link

Model

NAT

Huntington, Virginia, US

yani wrote:
3 out of 15 is a good response in any solicitation.

the 12 who did not respond....   It would be fairly safe to assume they are not interested.

very true...

May 02 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

It made me really mad after experiencing a string of 4 no shows  (and they were the ones who initiated the contacts, grrrrrr)  for the first time after one year of shooting tfp/cd to study and practice my lighting setups....but I now understand how this site works and the diversity of people who are on here smile

It's how you use MM that counts. People use MM for so many different reasons so now I just made up  some "rules" in my head so I don't get "taken" again LOL.

May 02 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

IM Photography wrote:

With 12 posts under your belt, 3 tags on your port and no portfolio, some models might be hesitant 'til you've built yourself a rep on MM.

May 02 06 09:59 am Link

Model

Isys Entertainment

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

out of any ten apples expect at least 3 rotten ones...

May 02 06 10:01 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I have had great response here with the "real " profiles . Some are photographers who build a profile with a models images and the model never knows .
If they have an active profile and they give a cell number after the initial contact then they usually are real . That other site was a complete bust for me and I never got a pid shoot for the entire time I was there --just a lot of BS.

May 02 06 10:07 am Link

Photographer

Visual Temptation

Pueblo, Colorado, US

Yes... This is the MySpace of the modeling world. I can't tell you how many times models have contacted ME about shooting only to disappear after their inquirey. I don't know why they would bother to contact me in the first place, I'm assuming it's for an ego boost... "Am I pretty enough?" But once things get serious, i.e. I give them my phone number to set things up, they're never to be heard from again. Maybe they're afraid of getting brain cancer from cell phone usage. On the flipside, I HAVE had about a 30% sucess story. If you check my profile I've had the chance to work with some beautiful, talented and PROFESSIONAL models. Just consider your time spent as an investment towards investigating a persons character. The pros will rise to the top and the wanna bes will continue asking "Am I pretty enough?" Keep your head up and don't take it so personally!

May 02 06 10:08 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I am not a rotten egg I am one of the good guys.

shame i don't live in the us I would show all of you how good a model can be. (of course models that don't flake do not take it personally!!)

xx shelly xx

May 02 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Ashley Jaime

Los Angeles, California, US

Melvin Moten Jr wrote:

May 02 06 10:11 am Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

Whether it be MM, internet, or the old fashioned way, there will ALWAYS be unreliable, unprofessional folk, you can't just blame MM.

I remember reading a biography from an Agency owner, written in the 80s, she told of a model who she signed up and spent alot of money on, and did alot for  along with much encouragement/support you name it, this model never showed up for assignments for afew days and the Agent spotted her walking down the street with her friend, (had the nerve to walk past the Agency) the Agent ran after her and asked "where have you been" only to be told by the girl "oh I have gone with another Agency" the Agent went on to say to the reader, "if you find Agents, photographers, rude, abrupt etc it is because they have been stung by nasties it is because of girls like the above"

That was not a MM situation,

it happens everywhere.

Lucy.

May 02 06 10:16 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

horsewoman wrote:
Whether it be MM, internet, or the old fashioned way, there will ALWAYS be unreliable, unprofessional folk, you can't just blame MM.

I remember reading a biography from an Agency owner, written in the 80s, she told of a model who she signed up and spent alot of money on, and did alot for  along with much encouragement/support you name it, this model never showed up for assignments for afew days and the Agent spotted her walking down the street with her friend, (had the nerve to walk past the Agency) the Agent ran after her and asked "where have you been" only to be told by the girl "oh I have gone with another Agency" the Agent went on to say to the reader, "if you find Agents, photographers, rude, abrupt etc it is because they have been stung by nasties it is because of girls like the above"

That was not a MM situation,

it happens everywhere.

Lucy.

totally agree and it's not just models who flake..

it's photographers as well

I had the same one flake on me twice I guess I am too trusting lol

xx shelly xx

May 02 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

dax

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

IM Photography wrote:

the keyword is not MM.. is " internet ". Internet allows anyone to become whoever they want and hide behind a screen name. People can steal pics and call themselves photographers...etc.!

May 02 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Visual Temptation

Pueblo, Colorado, US

JUST THE JAIMES wrote:

May 02 06 10:22 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

IM Photography wrote:

Well? I sent you a message and you haven't responded...but you're responding on the forum...so what's your excuse? ;-)

May 02 06 10:22 am Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Its definately not something that is exclusive to MM, if it were, people wouldn't be here.

There are good models out there, I try to be one of them. You just have to be paitent and really look for them. I honestly haven't had a bad experience yet.

Keep plugging away, we're out there.

May 02 06 12:10 pm Link

Model

nyx

London, Arkansas, US

Well you see, by the time they got around to starting MM the industry had already run out of model-o's, model pebbles, model krispies, and model pops.

May 02 06 12:23 pm Link