Forums > General Industry > Use my pics!!

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I find it insulting when you shoot with someone and they don't use your pics. Why did you want to shoot with me if you aren't even going to use them?
Models: Do you feel the same way?
Photographers: Thoughts?

Apr 30 06 04:59 pm Link

Photographer

Tomi Hawk

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I always use images of the models I worked with ... how else would I have a port?

tongue

Apr 30 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:
I find it insulting when you shoot with someone and they don't use your pics. Why did you want to shoot with me if you aren't even going to use them?

Maybe they are doing you a kindness because they did not need your shots.

Apr 30 06 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

I can always find at least one picture to use. Wheter or not the model feels the same way, I don't know. I would not post a picture that the model did not like though.

I just shoot what pleases me.

Apr 30 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

Digiography

Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada

Sometimes if the shots are really good I feel a little miffed that they don't use them, other times I'm very glad they don't.  It all depends on the model and the shot.

Apr 30 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Shoots don't always turn out the way you hope they will.  Photographers' skills evolve.  A new interest emerges and they want their portfolios to reflect that.  There are lots of reasons a model might not be in (or stay in) a photographer's portfolio.  It's not personal.  As long as the model gets the shots (or cash) that she wants/needs, isn't that the most important thing?

Apr 30 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Also, with only twenty photo slots in my portfolio if I use an image I really have to like it. I don't use photos from every photo shoot because I simply don't have enough space for them all ! I'm also trying to be even more picky; sometimes if a shoot doesn't go as well as expected you just have to realize it didn't work and move on. I had one of those last year... I swear, the beach hates me. That's fine -- I hate the beach too! It's a mutual hatred. But for not using the photos, it's not a personal thing. It's just the way it goes sometimes. I wouldn't feel bad about it or anything. BTW -- I absolutely love the shopping cart photo; it's one of those photos I wish I had taken.

-P-

Apr 30 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

Maybe they are doing you a kindness because they did not need your shots.

Then why would they ask me to shoot?

Apr 30 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Also, with only twenty photo slots in my portfolio if I use an image I really have to like it. I don't use photos from every photo shoot because I simply don't have enough space for them all ! I'm also trying to be even more picky; sometimes if a shoot doesn't go as well as expected you just have to realize it didn't work and move on. I had one of those last year... I swear, the beach hates me. That's fine -- I hate the beach too! It's a mutual hatred. But for not using the photos, it's not a personal thing. It's just the way it goes sometimes. I wouldn't feel bad about it or anything. BTW -- I absolutely love the shopping cart photo; it's one of those photos I wish I had taken.

-P-

Thank you! smile

Apr 30 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

Then why would they ask me to shoot?

Maybe they see you as talented and they wish to help you. Sometimes people do things that will not benefit themselves but will benefit another.

Apr 30 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Justin Huang

Irvine, California, US

maybe they didn't shoot well. not your fault

Apr 30 06 05:17 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mike Cummings wrote:

Maybe they see you as talented and they wish to help you. Sometimes people do things that will not benefit themselves but will benefit another.

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I don't know anyone that does something for nothing- without benefitting themselves in some way.

Apr 30 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

There are so many factors that go into portfolio editing. Technical properties like: lighting, sharpness, exposure, depth of field, etc. I have 6,000 images I've taken in the last 3 years and I'm sure others have way more than I do! Only 20 can make it into my folio. If the shot isn't the style I'm looking for it just doesn't make the cut. It's not the models fault whatsoever.

Apr 30 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

Because I thought I'd be using them, but the direction of the shoot changed, my personal direction changed after the shoot, or scheduling the shoot , or the results didn't work as expected, or the images worked but in a specific direction which isn't in the current online or paper portfolio, or they're part of a larger set which isn't complete yet?

I suspect there's others, but those are my main ones. I've had shoots which Just Didn't Work through no single person's fault, and some great shoots that are waiting for the rest of the collection to be finished before showing individual images.

Apr 30 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

Maybe I'm a pessimist but I don't know anyone that does something for nothing- without benefitting themselves in some way.

Then you need to expand your group of people. There are plenty of people that do nice things looking for nothing in return.

Apr 30 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

Well I can say I have dont plenty and not expect a damn thing in return.. and in turn didnt get anything. which is what I expected.   but as far as not using your pics... its possible that 1 he/she hasnt gotten around to incorporating your shots into their port.
2 they didnt come out as well as they had wanted 3 it turned out different that they expected and doesnt fit the scheme of their port.

but to sum it up as long as YOU have great pictures you want to use.. then it doesn't matter if they do.

Apr 30 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

One thing I forgot... Sometimes I will need to work with a model over two times before I get a portfolio-quality image. So... if I keep booking the same model several times without using an image that is why.

Apr 30 06 08:30 pm Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

As a model, it does irk me for a moment when a photographer doesn't use pics from a shoot together...however, I also know that it goes both ways. There have been times when I haven't used images in my portfolio from a shoot. As others have said, sometimes a shoot doesn't go in the direction I originally imagined. At other times, it's just a matter of replacing older images with new and improved ones.

Apr 30 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

Sidney Etienne

Brooklyn, New York, US

Personally, I usually don't post my best shots until whatever project/book i'm working is completed.

Apr 30 06 08:32 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

Never had it happen but it WOULD irk me if the model didn't use any of the images we shot. I try to get them up on my Profiels ASAP for the same reason...to show the model how much I appreciate the work and how well I think it went. And yes...as the one person mentioned about doing a favore..even then.
Mike

Apr 30 06 08:38 pm Link

Model

Shauna Carlo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

I've shot with photographers but not put up their photos. Not because I don't respect them or their work. When I signed up here I put up photos I felt best about just to have my start here. I'm going for a different look now and have different goals. My other photos just don't come close to representing that. On other sites it has been because I had limited space and had to post up what I felt was the best [so many] out of all of my photos done by all photographers.

There are many reasons.

Apr 30 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

Another possibility....after the process of setting up, shooting, developing, processing, etc... I sometimes just need a little time away from the images from a shoot. After processing, I will generally know if I had a good shoot or not, but I find a few days away from the shots makes me appreciate them more when I look at them from a fresher perspective.

Statements from all previous posters apply.

BTW, yes some of us DO do things just because it would be a nice thing to do. There are models I have shot with before that I would shoot their ideas even if I wasn't into the concept simply because I think that highly of the models as people.

Apr 30 06 08:42 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I don't find it insulting at all.

I shoot with TONS of photographers whose photos never end up in my portfolio.  It's not that I don't like them or their work, it's just that I want to keep my portfolio under 20 photos large, and feel that ones I got back from them are either too similar to things I already have, or do not represent where I want to go very well.

Nothing personal about it.

I imagine many photographers are the same way.

May 01 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

I shoot with TONS of photographers whose photos never end up in my portfolio.  It's not that I don't like them or their work, it's just that I want to keep my portfolio under 20 photos large, and feel that ones I got back from them are either too similar to things I already have, or do not represent where I want to go very well.

Exactly! Well said!

May 01 06 03:47 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

The Latest Rage  wrote:

I often have the same feelings when a model doesn't post images on her portfolio that I thought were especially good.

You've received some great answers already. In addition, much fun as places like OMP and MM are -- they really aren't REAL. If I depended on MM for my artistic validation, I think I'd kill myself! So consider, if a photographer has shot you, he may be showing your work in a gallery, on his studio website, on his studio walls, and so forth. If he obtained a release allowing it, he may be planning to use the images someday to illustrate a photography magazine article on a particular technical issue. There are a million ways in which photos get used beyond MM.

Later,
Paul
http://www.bangbangphoto.com

May 01 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Kiran Patil

Newark, Delaware, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

You are a pessimist. Plenty of nice people out there... of course there are a lot of not so nice people too. I'd say the latter outweighs the former by a signifcant amount, but you can't let that make you so pessimistic. Cautious maybe, but definately don't dismiss the idea that people are genuinely interested in helping you because they WANT to.

Anyway... are we talking about paid gigs or FTP? When I pay a model, the picture is always used - I mean, there is a reason I'm paying him/her. If the gig is FTP, I guess I could care less if they use it. I use it only if it suits my portfolio's needs. Some FTP shoots are done just to flex your talent or ideas. Even if they are great shots, you may not need them for your portfolio. I mean, if I'm trying to get a glamour job I wouldn't put an artistic nude in my portfolio, right? Depends...

May 01 06 04:00 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

Yes, I feel the same way.  I would understand it if all my pics from the shoot sucked, but that's not the case.  I'll have a photographer contact me with an interest in shooting...we'll shoot and we'll both agree that the shoot went very well...I'll go home happy and wondering which shots he'll post on his page...I'll check his page later and won't find any of my photos on there.  Instead I'll see photos of the same (more experienced) models they work with regularly.  Now I know I'm not one of those models with a long list of credentials/experience, but I have plenty of shots that I feel are "MM/OMP-worthy."  There's a photographer I've shot with like three times, and none of my photos from any of those shoots have ever been posted...and I think the most recent shoot was better than our previous two.  I know that after a shoot I can't wait to get some of my new stuff (edited) posted on my page, but apparently the photogs. don't feel the same way.

May 01 06 05:20 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Tikeya wrote:
I would understand it if all my pics from the shoot sucked, but that's not the case.

What doesn't suck to one person can suck to another.  Or maybe that it wasn't that the pics sucked, like someone said before maybe the shoot just didn't turn out like expected.  Just because one party doesn't like the pics doesn't mean the other one has to...if you like them, great, use them in your portfolio.  They don't have to...it's their portfolio.

May 01 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

It often takes about a year before a model's photograph makes it into my online sales gallery.  I've never before realized that some models might find that insulting.  Perhaps I should prepare an explaination.  Unfortunately the only honest explaination is that I'm too lazy to make frequent online changes.

I do have a "gallery" on my models' web page where I post selections from most current work.

May 01 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

Virtue Photography

Torrance, California, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

i wouldnt take it personally.  generally a photographer has worked with hundreds of models so it isnt practical, or necesarry, to use or display a picture from each one.

May 01 06 05:49 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

faithb wrote:
What doesn't suck to one person can suck to another.  Or maybe that it wasn't that the pics sucked, like someone said before maybe the shoot just didn't turn out like expected.  Just because one party doesn't like the pics doesn't mean the other one has to...if you like them, great, use them in your portfolio.  They don't have to...it's their portfolio.

Yeah, I understand that they don't HAVE to use the pics in their portfolio (that's their decision), but I'm referring to shoots that both me and the photographer (who gives his honest opinion) were happy with and where we DO like the pics.   Throughout the shoot I'll get comments like "Nice!...Beautiful!...That's hot!...Gorgeous!" etc, but then it's like the results of my shoot don't get any farther than the photographer's computer/photo CD.  So the only way my new photos (that I paid for) will be seen is if I just post them on my own profile.

May 01 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

David Linke

Woodville, Ohio, US

Some times we old pro test new equipment, or backgroud and lighting ideas to work out the "bugs" before working on a project that a customer is paying the high bucks for.  It's not a slam against the model, but not every test shoot is woth posting.

May 01 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Virtue Photography wrote:

i wouldnt take it personally.  generally a photographer has worked with hundreds of models so it isnt practical, or necesarry, to use or display a picture from each one.

I'm not saying keep up my pic forever. I'm saying new pics, like they edit them and send them to me but then don't use them themselves. I'm not vain enough to say My pics need to be displayed on your page forever!! tongue

May 01 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

mad city fine arts

Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

I would have to agree with a few posters before me.  Portfolios change over time.  There are pictures that I took a long time ago that I do not use any more for showing my work.  And depending on who I am showing them to, would be a factor, as well... IE: If a person is looking for  a business portrait, I am not going to showcase my nudes as representative of what they are looking for.  Just my 2 cents...

May 01 06 06:46 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

The time delay thing is pretty common, too.

One of my favorite local photographers sometimes doesn't even develop his film for MONTHS after a shoot.

One of his photos of me got published in Varla magazine (his submission), but as far as I know, never showed up in any of his online portfolios.  Totally fine with me.

May 01 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:

If you have shot with more than 20 models/photographers, which many here have, then it is impossible for you to post everybody if you only have 20 image slots.

Even if you have more image slots, your shoots with different people turn out differently. Are you saying that if someone has done a shoot with you and none of their photos show up in your port they should feel insulted?

May 01 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

I love it when a model posts or otherwise uses an image of mine.  E.g., a model made a business card out of one of my images.  Cool!  But I'm OK if my images are not used.  I mostly shoot with pro models, who already have full books and don't need my images.

Besides, tacking even an ioto of self-esteem on use of your images is like Wiley Coyote running off a cliff.  A major fall is coming.

May 01 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

It's ok to feel that way. I have felt that way before, too.

But for me, I concern myself with what I want out of a shoot. I try to get in a few for the model, for the stylist, for whoever else is involved. But bottom line, if I deem a picture "worthy" of my portfolio, whether it makes my online portfolio or my printed, etc., then I'm happy. I can't control what (if anything) makes it to anyone else's portfolio but mine.

I have a lot of reasons why some pics make it, some stay forever, some never make it at all. Rarely does it have to do with the model pissing me off or not being good enough.

Oh, about the whole nobody does something for nothing vibe, it's true in a lot of instances. However, I have done things for others with no expectations of a benefit for myself, and there have been people who've done things for me just out of the goodness (gasp) of their hearts. It's good to be cautious, but don't eliminate the possibility of a good deed, either. smile

May 01 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

The Latest Rage  wrote:
I'm not saying keep up my pic forever. I'm saying new pics, like they edit them and send them to me but then don't use them themselves. I'm not vain enough to say My pics need to be displayed on your page forever!! tongue

Shoot with me, Adrienne.. I'll keep you my page forever! wink

May 01 06 07:30 pm Link