Forums > General Industry > Things I Find Revulsive in Photography

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

We all have our individual styles, our likes and dislikes, but on a short list of HORRORS in photography I have the following: (1) splotchy under-tree shadows on upper torso and face (like a senior picture gone foul); (2) face blackened by shadow because bright light was put behind subject; and (3) white sky in the background.

I detest the first two especially, two of the easiest things to prevent in outdoor photography. I recently told a model that too much of her port fell prey to these two cardinal sins, and she said: "Thanks! I'll tell my photographers not to [repeat the mistake] next time." Her photographers should already know and observe this cardinal rule. For outdoor work, the golden rule is: don't allow shadows in unless they enhance the picture.

Too many MM and other online photographers are only too proud to offer their leafy-splotchy portraits and dark outdoor silhouettes as proof of their mastery of photography.

Apr 30 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Ya want white skies? Ya got 'em.

http://www.macstein.us/markophoto/portf … t+Thompson

Gee, what was I thinking? LOL

I'd show you the advertorial catelog I shot last week. White skies and shadows all over the model's face, but you might feint.

Apr 30 06 08:51 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

if you see anything in my photographs, its because i want you to see it...
white skys and all..its a mistake to think that because "your" rules were broken, someone doesn't have control of thier craft...

https://img3.modelmayhem.com/060321/07/441fff6758a4d.jpg

now lets talk about tacky cliché photoshop techniques...

Apr 30 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

What were you trying to say here?  You find them revolting or you find them repulsive?  To each their own, I say.  One man's trash is another man's art. 

I'll stop the cliches there. smile

Apr 30 06 09:15 am Link

Photographer

Pete Flanagan

Chicago, Illinois, US

I hate coffee cup ring stains on photos myself.

Apr 30 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

Speed cameras in dual carriageways (highways) when most injuries are in towns and cities.

That is about photography ist it smile

Apr 30 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Sunday morning lectures about cardinal rules and the one right way to think -- thanks for reminding me why I left Oklahoma.

Apr 30 06 09:30 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Y'all may want to pick up an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog..... White skies, blown out images, overexposed by 5 stops, dark faces, bad shadows.......
And the photographers are making $15k a day. Unless Bruce is shooting, then its $30k a day (or more).

https://eprentice.sdsu.edu/S04X/scase/home%20alone.gif

ps Doug, nice shot!!

Apr 30 06 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Chip Miller

Brooklyn, New York, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
now lets talk about tacky cliché photoshop techniques...

Agreed!!!!

Apr 30 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

Sienna Hambleton

Toledo, Ohio, US

I was checking out the OP's bio and with all the negativity in it, well . . .

BTW, what is "revulsive?" Is it some weird second cousin to "repulsive?"

Apr 30 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

Revulsive. Not in Websters that I can find.

Apr 30 06 09:44 am Link

Photographer

BCADULTART

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Well I hate Boring photographs and "Photographers" that do not know how to use
their equipment, or worse write about things they hate....

Apr 30 06 09:45 am Link

Photographer

Justin N Lane

Brooklyn, New York, US

as a general rule, I hate people.

Apr 30 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Eric S. wrote:
ps Doug, nice shot!!

(doing doing his best elvis impersonation)...thankyou...thankyouvery muchhhh...

Apr 30 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Justin N Lane wrote:
as a general rule, I hate people.

dogs make cool people..."fur people"...

Apr 30 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

giovanni gruttola

Middle Island, New York, US

KMPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

I find when the peoples of a foreign country repolt, revulsive.

Apr 30 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

KMPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.a … =Revulsive

Re`vul´sive
a.1.    Causing, or tending to, revulsion.
n.1.    (Med.) That which causes revulsion; specifically (Med.), a revulsive remedy or agent.

Apr 30 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

jon mmmayhem

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

it's always nice when a presumed typo is not, in fact, a typo.

Apr 30 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

shabaka

WINSTON SALEM, North Carolina, US

Main Entry: re·vul·sion
Pronunciation: ri-'v&l-sh&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin revulsion-, revulsio act of tearing away, from revellere to pluck away, from re- + vellere to pluck -- more at VULNERABLE
1 : a strong pulling or drawing away : WITHDRAWAL
2 a : a sudden or strong reaction or change b : a sense of utter distaste or repugnance

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/revulsion

Apr 30 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

Doug Swinskey wrote:
if you see anything in my photographs, its because i want you to see it...
white skys and all..its a mistake to think that because "your" rules were broken, someone doesn't have control of thier craft...

I said I hate white sky and I do. This picture is neither splotchy or in deep silhouette as I spoke about, so it doesn't fit my "lecture."

You can start about tacky photoshop techniques on another thread. . .

Apr 30 06 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

Tim Hammond wrote:
Sunday morning lectures about cardinal rules and the one right way to think -- thanks for reminding me why I left Oklahoma.

This shot is mainly about the shadow and the light, not the splotchy, shadowy dark silhouette stuff I spoke about. Funny how I speak about something that I personally hate, then I give a cardinal rule (which you all know is TRUE about not putting the subject in the dark etc), and then I get the counter lectures.

Apr 30 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

BCADULTART wrote:
Well I hate Boring photographs and "Photographers" that do not know how to use
their equipment, or worse write about things they hate....

So do I (generally). . . ;-)

Apr 30 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

Chip Miller

Brooklyn, New York, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
You can start about tacky photoshop techniques on another thread. . .

But what if it is something I or others find "revulsive"?!  It fits in this thread.

Apr 30 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Visions Of Excess Studi wrote:
BTW, what is "revulsive?" Is it some weird second cousin to "repulsive?"

Reminds me of my favorite almost-word: "porkulent."

Almost like "corpulent," only better!

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

We hit you with both barrels of the shotgun. No offense intended, at least on my part. But I just hate camera club mentalities. Nothing good ever comes from rules. Rules are a way to avoid making bad pictures if you have nothing to express.

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

I find general statements that put other photographers, who maybe in a learning curve, down revolting... wink

Aren't there better things to do than focusing on other peoples "faults" and pointing them out?

I rather focus on something positive, like doing my thing, while letting others do their thing.

Apr 30 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
We hit you with both barrels of the shotgun. No offense intended, at least on my part. But I just hate camera club mentalities. Nothing good ever comes from rules. Rules are a way to avoid making bad pictures if you have nothing to express.

Well, I stick with what I said in my post and will answer to what I said in my post. I had intended this post for the English-language forum but forum postings go haywire generally after the first few responses.

Camera club mentalities. . .there are rules of course (rule of thirds etc) but if we confine ourselves to these we stay confined. The post was against splotchy shadowy under tree work and faces badly darkened out because the sunlight was harsh (find me someone who insists this is "fine" and I'll respond). Secondarily I remarked about disliking/hating white skies.

Apr 30 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

UdoR wrote:
I find general statements that put other photographers, who maybe in a learning curve, down revolting... wink

Aren't there better things to do than focusing on other peoples "faults" and pointing them out?

I rather focus on something positive, like doing my thing, while letting others do their thing.

That's good advice, but how do we know they're just "starting out"? I know of many who do the splotch work year after year. If you're entirely right there is no such thing as "constructive critique."

Apr 30 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
That's good advice, but how do we know they're just "starting out"? I know of many who do the splotch work year after year. If you're entirely right there is no such thing as "constructive critique."

Well, if someone is asking for critique, that means that person tries to get input from outside talent.

I find it perfectly okay to share info.

But, there are tremendeous amount of people out there, whose EGO won't allow them to receive critique, and may think that their technique is flawless and that they shoot exactly to their own taste. Which maybe the reason why they shoot year in and year out the same way.

Personally, I will never hand out critique unless being asked... and even then I am hesitant, but that's my own choice.

Maybe I don't hand out critizism, because I am constantly trying to improve myself and rise to new challenges by studying about it, hence being aware how little I really know myself.

Apr 30 06 10:37 am Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

UdoR wrote:

There are indeed UdoR, the problem is that the general maturity level of most of the posts on this forum is equivalent to that at a seventh grade slumber party.  But I'm with you...

Apr 30 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

fotorat

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom

KMPHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Although I highly disagree with his thread..the word is in the dictionary.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/revulsive

Apr 30 06 10:46 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Pete Flanagan wrote:
I hate coffee cup ring stains on photos myself.

I don't mindthis because it means they bought your book!

Apr 30 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I purposely light behind my background to create dark images...

Apr 30 06 10:51 am Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

I'm usually hesitant about offering criticism even when asked also.

My original post spoke clearly about my personal dislikes. I seriously doubt (despite the majority in opposition here) that what I said is off the mark. When a portrait photograph IS the shadow, is that worth looking at? When splotchy under-tree sunlight checkers the subject, is that worth applauding? These are my points. So far all I read are counter shots. . .

No one wants to comment on what I said specifically. No one.

Apr 30 06 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

"Things I Find Revulsive in Photography"

The fact that no one has come up with darkroom safe lights that also work as tanning lights.
Then you could have darkroom workshops in beach attire. Co-ed, of course.

Apr 30 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

UdoR wrote:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.a … =Revulsive

Re`vul´sive
a.1.    Causing, or tending to, revulsion.
n.1.    (Med.) That which causes revulsion; specifically (Med.), a revulsive remedy or agent.

Thanks Udo!  NowI have a new dictionary to refer to as well.  Although I must admit, this is the first time I've have ever heard the word "revulsive" used.

Apr 30 06 11:48 am Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
I'm usually hesitant about offering criticism even when asked also.

My original post spoke clearly about my personal dislikes. I seriously doubt (despite the majority in opposition here) that what I said is off the mark. When a portrait photograph IS the shadow, is that worth looking at? When splotchy under-tree sunlight checkers the subject, is that worth applauding? These are my points. So far all I read are counter shots. . .

No one wants to comment on what I said specifically. No one.

You spoke clearly about "cardinal rules" that all photographers should follow in order to avoid your personal dislikes, implying that they are the standard against which all photography should be judged, and you did so with an arrogant, lecturing tone.  Did you really expect people to post back and say "yeah, man, you're right - check out my portfolio and let me know what sins I've committed?"

To comment specifically on what you said, you're wrong.  A photograph with the face lost in shadow and the background blown out can be a successful photograph.  For example, the photograph linked below was carefully planned out and is considered a success by the photographer who planned and executed it (yeah, it was me).  Your personal dislikes were never a consideration.

(18+, but just barely)
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=4454e9835f741

If you come out of the blue and try to lay down the law about what makes a good photograph for every photographer in every situation, you really shouldn't be surprised by some pushback.

Apr 30 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

OK... I've got one. However, first I'd like to point out that these "rules" shouldn't be considered "cardinal" laws of photography. There are always exceptions to any "rule" thatis declared in art. I tend to agree with the OP's original post, however, it is possible to break these rules and still have a good photo. I think Doug's photograph is an example of that -- the blown out sky actually adds to the atmospere of the photo; it adds a sense of hot sun to the beach photo. Had he exposed for the sky I think the photo would have lost that bit of drama. Also, he didn't make the blown out white sky prominate in the photo; the center of interest is still his subject. So, this is an example of a well used blown out sky, and a breaking of one of the OP's "cardinal" rules.

Having said that, one of the things that really bugs me about a photo is when you can see the thin outline shadow caused by an on-camera flash on the wall just behind the subject. If I see that in my own photography I cringe and move on to the next one... I suppose it may work in some cases, but for me it's for the most part considered a fatal flaw in an otherwise good photo.

Any others...?

-P-

Apr 30 06 11:55 am Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
Having said that, one of the things that really bugs me about a photo is when you can see the thin outline shadow caused by an on-camera flash on the wall just behind the subject. If I see that in my own photography I cringe and move on to the next one... I suppose it may work in some cases, but for me it's for the most part considered a fatal flaw in an otherwise good photo.

Any others...?

-P-

You'd really hate my photos then tongue.  Of course, one of these days, I'll have lighting figured out MUCH better.  I'm still learning though.

Apr 30 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Tim Hammond wrote:

You spoke clearly about "cardinal rules" that all photographers should follow in order to avoid your personal dislikes, implying that they are the standard against which all photography should be judged, and you did so with an arrogant, lecturing tone.  Did you really expect people to post back and say "yeah, man, you're right - check out my portfolio and let me know what sins I've committed?"

To comment specifically on what you said, you're wrong.  A photograph with the face lost in shadow and the background blown out can be a successful photograph.  For example, the photograph linked below was carefully planned out and is considered a success by the photographer who planned and executed it (yeah, it was me).  Your personal dislikes were never a consideration.

(18+, but just barely)
https://modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic_id=4454e9835f741

If you come out of the blue and try to lay down the law about what makes a good photograph for every photographer in every situation, you really shouldn't be surprised by some pushback.

Agreed -- I've done some silhouette shots as well and quite liked how they came out. There are *always* exceptions; the idea of "cardinal" laws of photography, or art in general, is ridiculous. And that is my own cardinal law.

-P-

Apr 30 06 11:58 am Link