Forums > General Industry > Things I Find Revulsive in Photography

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Jeanette Thompson wrote:

You'd really hate my photos then tongue.  Of course, one of these days, I'll have lighting figured out MUCH better.  I'm still learning though.

Hey, no problem! We're all learning, right? Try moving your subjects further from the background and use an off-camera flash for starters. Also, I highly reccomend you pick up a book on lighting and start experimenting. It is possible to defeat the evil outline shadow, but I still get it myself at times.

-P-

Apr 30 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

41 already?

Apr 30 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

mrclay2000 wrote:

I said I hate white sky and I do. This picture is neither splotchy or in deep silhouette as I spoke about, so it doesn't fit my "lecture."

You can start about tacky photoshop techniques on another thread. . .

I'm sure he means stuff like this:

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/36826235.jpg

Apr 30 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Digital, I'm sure that's what he means. The thing is, when people begin by telling neophytes the camera club rules of what not to do, the neophyte's mind closes to expressiveness. As I said, I think rules are simply defense against bad picture-making by people without much to express, or lacking in visual intuition as to how to express something.

Apr 30 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Ya want white skies? Ya got 'em.

http://www.macstein.us/markophoto/portf … t+Thompson

Gee, what was I thinking? LOL

I'd show you the advertorial catelog I shot last week. White skies and shadows all over the model's face, but you might feint.

I personally think some splotchy shadows could have saved these pics.. wink

Apr 30 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

GW Burns

Sarasota, Florida, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
I'm usually hesitant about offering criticism even when asked also.

My original post spoke clearly about my personal dislikes. I seriously doubt (despite the majority in opposition here) that what I said is off the mark. When a portrait photograph IS the shadow, is that worth looking at? When splotchy under-tree sunlight checkers the subject, is that worth applauding? These are my points. So far all I read are counter shots. . .

No one wants to comment on what I said specifically. No one.

Well in my art classes Clay you would have gotten a failing grade for breaking compositional rules but no one is pointing that out to you.  Be careful of critiquing others for rules that you also are not paying attention to.  Man who live in glass house should not throw stones lol!

Apr 30 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Digital, I'm sure that's what he means. The thing is, when people begin by telling neophytes the camera club rules of what not to do, the neophyte's mind closes to expressiveness. As I said, I think rules are simply defense against bad picture-making by people without much to express, or lacking in visual intuition as to how to express something.

I agree.  I prefer to call the "Rules" suggestions.  Because when you think about them, they are doing the most important thing for a photographer.  Making them THINK.  Like the "Rule of Thirds"  It does tend to make photos more interesting when you take it into consideration.  That doesn't meant you can't center you shot...it's merely a suggestion.

https://www.pbase.com/digitalcmh/image/58957599.jpg

Apr 30 06 01:23 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

What I find humorous?? Look at the photographers that posted in here that are actually WORKING... in magazines, ads, for agencies ect... (ie Eric Striffler, Roberto Aguilar, Marko Cecic-Karuzic, Chip Willis) They ALL disagree with the initial post.... coincidence? I dont think so... The initial post is absolutly silly. Rules are mean to be broken. If everybody kept to your "rules" their photography would all look like yours... we would lose the art in photography, and Lord knows we dont want either of those things to happen. hugs and kissies. andrea.

Apr 30 06 01:39 pm Link

Photographer

ChristerArt

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

mrclay2000 wrote:
We all have our individual styles, our likes and dislikes, but on a short list of HORRORS in photography I have the following: (1) splotchy under-tree shadows on upper torso and face (like a senior picture gone foul); (2) face blackened by shadow because bright light was put behind subject; and (3) white sky in the background.

I detest the first two especially, two of the easiest things to prevent in outdoor photography. I recently told a model that too much of her port fell prey to these two cardinal sins, and she said: "Thanks! I'll tell my photographers not to [repeat the mistake] next time." Her photographers should already know and observe this cardinal rule. For outdoor work, the golden rule is: don't allow shadows in unless they enhance the picture.

Too many MM and other online photographers are only too proud to offer their leafy-splotchy portraits and dark outdoor silhouettes as proof of their mastery of photography.

Cardinal Sins?... Oh My....

How about the Cardinal Sins of thinking *I* know what's right and what's wrong?

What about shooting models so their legs look much heavier than they really are?

Isn't *that* a Cardinal Sin?

One should not throw stones if one lives in a glass house...

Apr 30 06 01:43 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Andrea Barnett wrote:
What I find humorous?? Look at the photographers that posted in here that are actually WORKING... in magazines, ads, for agencies ect... (ie Eric Striffler, Roberto Aguilar, Marko Cecic-Karuzic, Chip Willis) They ALL disagree with the initial post.... coincidence? I dont think so... The initial post is absolutly silly. Rules are mean to be broken. If everybody kept to your "rules" their photography would all look like yours... we would lose the art in photography, and Lord knows we dont want either of those things to happen. hugs and kissies. andrea.

Word!

Apr 30 06 01:45 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

The first rule of photography club is there is no rule.

'Nuf said.

However, (there's always a "however," isn't there?) I would strongly encourage any new photographers and artists alike to learn the rules and to learn them well. The "rules" are a good foundation and will greatly help you as an artist. Obviously, there comes a time when you can break them -- it's just much better if you know what you're breaking and why. Picasso was a classically trained painter before he was a Cubist, but you can still see in his work the foundations he learned as a classical art student. This is also evident in the impressionist painters and with good abstract artists. The artists who know the "rules" but are breaking them tend to have better, more flowing, naturalistic work (if that makes any sense). This is also true of photography; a badly broken rule won't make a successfull photograph. So, learn the rules and then toss them aside when they get in the way of your vision.

Maybe that's my "rule" of photography...

-P-

Apr 30 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

I find "rules of photography" revulsive...

Apr 30 06 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

the first rule about photography club is you don't talk about photography club?

Apr 30 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

mrclay2000 wrote:

Well, I stick with what I said in my post and will answer to what I said in my post. I had intended this post for the English-language forum but forum postings go haywire generally after the first few responses.

Camera club mentalities. . .there are rules of course (rule of thirds etc) but if we confine ourselves to these we stay confined. The post was against splotchy shadowy under tree work and faces badly darkened out because the sunlight was harsh (find me someone who insists this is "fine" and I'll respond). Secondarily I remarked about disliking/hating white skies.

I think it was your WHITE SKYs comment that got the attention. no one really argued the spotted shadows.

Apr 30 06 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

Mikell

San Francisco, California, US

Jay Bowman wrote:
I find "rules of photography" revulsive...

a "rule" I was taught by one of my painting instructors was "learn the rules then you'll know how to break them effectively."

Apr 30 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

FemmeArt

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I hate pompous photographers who forget that this is an ART, not science.

Focus on your own work--who cares about what the next guy is doing?

Apr 30 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
Too many MM and other online photographers are only too proud to offer their leafy-splotchy portraits and dark outdoor silhouettes as proof of their mastery of photography.

FabioTovar wrote:
I think it was your WHITE SKYs comment that got the attention. no one really argued the spotted shadows.

Not the best example of leafy-splotchy shadows (it was a windy day; and I didn't get them exactly where I wanted them), but the splotchy shadows aren't what's ruining the photo, either--the other flaws do that. (I wanted those leafy-splotchy shadows!)

https://www.keradwc.com/outgoing_images/2004/20040801_171426r1_jenni.jpg

As for the "rule of thirds"--how many people know the underlying principles, and how many follow it blindly? Rudolf Arnheim's Art and Visual Perception, A Psychology of the Creative Eye does a great job of covering the introductory level of the many "rules" we're taught.

Apr 30 06 04:11 pm Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

I love topics like this. Reminds me to try harder not to adhere to the same rules 99% of photographers follow.
I don't think its about being "better" than the next guy, I think it's about trying to be different, and being successful at marketing that diversity.

https://www.striffler.com/images/katiecollage-web.jpg

Apr 30 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Chip Morton wrote:
"Things I Find Revulsive in Photography"

The fact that no one has come up with darkroom safe lights that also work as tanning lights.
Then you could have darkroom workshops in beach attire. Co-ed, of course.

WTF? Now that`s funny as hell................big_smile

Apr 30 06 04:33 pm Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

UdoR wrote:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dict.a … =Revulsive

Re`vul´sive
a.1.    Causing, or tending to, revulsion.
n.1.    (Med.) That which causes revulsion; specifically (Med.), a revulsive remedy or agent.

Thank you, I stand corrected.

Apr 30 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

KMPHOTOGRAPHY

fotorat wrote:

Although I highly disagree with his thread..the word is in the dictionary.

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/revulsive

Thank you also, I stand corrected.

Apr 30 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Travis Feisthamel Photo

Watertown, New York, US

One thing I have learned through the years, is that no two photographers would do the same thing. One might crop here, the other here, one thinks its washed out, the other thinks its art.

Apr 30 06 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

Expressions in OKC

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

It might not have been as clear as I would have wished, but the "white sky" was strictly a preference not a rule. In sum, I (generally) dislike white sky in pictures. Not a rule.

On the splotchy shadows, CMH posted an image that fits what I meant exactly. Everyone seems to overlook that I wrote "don't let the shadow in unless it enhances the photo." Photographers might disagree what enhances etc but I think few would applaud the general splotchy-shadowy under-tree shot. I made no mention about using shadows deliberately to enhance, or studio lighting to enhance, or backlighting to enhance. . .

As for my pomposity, yes I'm sure it came across that way. I used the word "rule" and suddenly I'm in the crosshairs as a self-appointed lecturer. Anyway, for better or worse, I meant to lecture no one -- only to point out that one of the worst mistakes (in my mind) seems the easiest to avoid. I think I would have gotten less venom if the original post had been read a little more closely.

Back to my tacky PS work. . .

Apr 30 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Paul C

San Antonio, Texas, US

mrclay2000 wrote:
It might not have been as clear as I would have wished, but the "white sky" was strictly a preference not a rule. In sum, I (generally) dislike white sky in pictures. Not a rule.

On the splotchy shadows, CMH posted an image that fits what I meant exactly. Everyone seems to overlook that I wrote "don't let the shadow in unless it enhances the photo." Photographers might disagree what enhances etc but I think few would applaud the general splotchy-shadowy under-tree shot. I made no mention about using shadows deliberately to enhance, or studio lighting to enhance, or backlighting to enhance. . .

As for my pomposity, yes I'm sure it came across that way. I used the word "rule" and suddenly I'm in the crosshairs as a self-appointed lecturer. Anyway, for better or worse, I meant to lecture no one -- only to point out that one of the worst mistakes (in my mind) seems the easiest to avoid. I think I would have gotten less venom if the original post had been read a little more closely.

Back to my tacky PS work. . .

WARNING!: Images contain copious amounts of 'white sky' and/ or 'burned lighting' that may cause some photographers to feel nauseous, weak or dizzy. Certain rules may or may not have been broken in the creation of these images. The photographer nor model is not responsible for those whom may react or reject the outcome of these pictures as displayed on this or any other website which displays them . If you do experience any of these symptoms or any related symptoms, please contact your nearest camera club for immediate counseling to re-establish the 'general rules of photography that everyone knows' for the regainment of the photographers sanity and future capabilities to operate a camera within the parameters of these 'general rules'.

Apr 30 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Caspers Creations

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
Sunday morning lectures about cardinal rules and the one right way to think -- thanks for reminding me why I left Oklahoma.

LMAO

Apr 30 06 11:11 pm Link