Forums > General Industry > I'm paying you. Act like you have some sense.

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Recently a model contacted me about a paid shoot I'm offering.
Paid not TFP not TFCD but money.  She left a number I called and
left a voice mail.  I said, please give me a good time to reach you so
that we don't play voice mail tag and I wouldn't call again untill she
did.  She wrote back calling me rude and saying she wouldn't want to shoot with me.  I admit I can be curt at times and I have a unique take
on things as many of you have noticed but I'm paying.  If I ask you to
give me a good time to call then do just that.  She also made a remark
about my calling from a blocked number.  Well I'm at a friends phone.
This is a general rant, hey many of the photographers here don't pay anything.  I'm offering money.  Its not a lot I admit, $25.00 per hour
$50.00 at most but its cash.  My hard earned cash.  I'm even offering a
lunch where some of the models can meet three designers that are also
paying late this summer for another shoot.  This doesn't apply to many of the models I've shot in the past but models like this one drive me
crazy!

Apr 27 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Mangano Photography

Fresno, California, US

No offense dude, but the "I'm not calling back until you do" part was a bit rude.

Still got love for ya! smile

Apr 27 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Really?  Hmmm.  I do that so I don't get into that missing each other and voice
mail tag stuff.  Maybe it was rude.  I can be a bit curt as I said.  Didn't mean to
be rude.  In future I'll just say give me a good time to call and leave out the
I won't call again untill you do.

Apr 27 06 04:03 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

My guesstimate, Tony, is that she heard it as an ultimatum, though I doubt you meant it that way.

Apr 27 06 04:06 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Shyly wrote:
My guesstimate, Tony, is that she heard it as an ultimatum, though I doubt you meant it that way.

Yeah, I'm thinking that too but I thought I was pretty friendly with what I said.
My bad?  Hey I'm thinking I'm paying ya.  Give me a time to reach you ignore the
rude part (try too) anyway.  In future though I'll cut the won't call you back untill
you let me know when too.  Man and I pride myself on being polite.

Apr 27 06 04:13 pm Link

Photographer

Mangano Photography

Fresno, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Yeah, I'm thinking that too but I thought I was pretty friendly with what I said.
My bad?  Hey I'm thinking I'm paying ya.  Give me a time to reach you ignore the
rude part (try too) anyway.  In future though I'll cut the won't call you back untill

Tony, I'm sure you were trying to be 100% polite, she just heard it a different way on the phone.... happens all the time.  Unless she's a bitter human being, I'm sure you can just explain that to her and move on with the shoot.

Also, your work is too good to be paying man!!!

Dino

Apr 27 06 04:15 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dino Mangano wrote:

Tony, I'm sure you were trying to be 100% polite, she just heard it a different way on the phone.... happens all the time.  Unless she's a bitter human being, I'm sure you can just explain that to her and move on with the shoot.

Also, your work is too good to be paying man!!!

Dino

Thanks, Dino.  I really don't mind paying I made  a few bucks on some investments
although Bush is fuc$%^ that up now.  Leave the oil companies alone!
Anyway , I think you're right.  She heard it as rude and her response was not
very nice but understanable.  Even if she wanted to shoot I wouldn't be intrested
anymore.  Started on a bad foot.  Oh well.

Apr 27 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Recently a model contacted me about a paid shoot I'm offering.
Paid not TFP not TFCD but money.  She left a number I called and
did.  She wrote back calling me rude and saying she wouldn't want to shoot with me.  I admit I can be curt at times and I have a unique take
on things as many of you have noticed but I'm paying.  If I ask you to
give me a good time to call then do just that.  She also made a remark
about my calling from a blocked number.  Well I'm at a friends phone.
This is a general rant, hey many of the photographers here don't pay anything.  I'm offering money.  Its not a lot I admit, $25.00 per hour
$50.00 at most but its cash.  My hard earned cash.  I'm even offering a
lunch where some of the models can meet three designers that are also
paying late this summer for another shoot.  This doesn't apply to many of the models I've shot in the past but models like this one drive me
crazy!

You presumed flakiness, and you got it.. Self fulfilling prophesy..

"She left a number I called and
did."

You could have just as easily just said "please leave me a good time to reach you so that we don't play voice mail tag."

Leave the rest off.. Then simply do not call again until she does..

Period..

You have now enforced your policy and not made presumptuous and rude statements about the model..

A lot of people are/will be flakes.. No need to be rude before the fact..  I don't care if you're paying or not (and personally, I'd rather have your images than your $25 an hour.. You've got good stuff..) professionalism goes 2 ways.

Apr 27 06 04:44 pm Link

Photographer

Derry Photography

Antioch, California, US

I took it as you being straight up and to the point and not playing any games, too bad if she took it as rude.
May be she just needs to grow up.

Apr 27 06 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Really?  Hmmm.  I do that so I don't get into that missing each other and voice
mail tag stuff.  Maybe it was rude.  I can be a bit curt as I said.  Didn't mean to
be rude.  In future I'll just say give me a good time to call and leave out the
I won't call again untill you do.

Tony, that would be a good idea.  Sometimes it's not a matter to being "curt" but of saying more than you need to.  I know that I'm a "wordy" guy sometimes.  It's been the reason that my foot got stuck in my mouth more than a few times!  LOL

It's possible that she is overly sensitive, but just let it slide ... it's not that big a deal.  Besides, I'm sure you'll find someone else who want to get paid by you.

Apr 27 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Tony, that would be a good idea.  Sometimes it's not a matter to being "curt" but of saying more than you need to.  I know that I'm a "wordy" guy sometimes.  It's been the reason that my foot got stuck in my mouth more than a few times!  LOL

It's possible that she is overly sensitive, but just let it slide ... it's not that big a deal.  Besides, I'm sure you'll find someone else who want to get paid by you.

Yeah you guys are right.  I guess after all the no show no call models and the
voice mail tag game I'm a little worn out.  Its almost more work trying to get
a shoot going then it is to do it and I'm paying so who's the crazy one.

Apr 27 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

It is hard..  Hard as hell.. And I feel your frustration..  Just can't lay it out on those who haven't done anything yet..

If anything, that's why I like the off topic forums here..

Bitch, rant, rave on MM..

Get it out of your system, and be as damned lovely as you can to the real people you're working with..

Apr 27 06 04:57 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Yeah you guys are right.  I guess after all the no show no call models and the
voice mail tag game I'm a little worn out.  Its almost more work trying to get
a shoot going then it is to do it and I'm paying so who's the crazy one.

Although you are trying to be polite, some people will take your words the wrong way.  I'm sure that is what happened in your situation.

Tony, it's also possible to get burned out with all the technology availble to us for communication.  I swear I don't know what it must have been like without computers, cell phones, and digital cameras!  LOL 

Think about how photographers a hundred years ago had to work?  My grandfather was one of those guys carrying around a view camera using glass plates.  The photographer who shot most of the pictures from the San Francisco earthquake of 1906 was celebrated recently, but I wonder how many people understand that he was not taking those pictures with a point and shoot camera!  And models?  Heck, my grandfather paid American Indians to pose for him.  Models had to be perfectly still for a longer time back then ... and how did you find models a hundred years ago?  OK, the traditional modeling industry has changed along with photography. 

Damn near anyone can pick up a digital camera and learn who to shoot pictures.  The same goes for models ... not having to travel to agents offices for "model calls", instead you just log on to the 'net!  Post a few webcam shots on Model Mayhem and your a model! LOL  ... OK not that it makes you a "model" but it seems that is what some do!

I get so high strung from all the communications I do by phone, internet, and on rare ... occasion in person!  LOL   It gets difficult for me to fall asleep because I'm thinking about phone conversations I had earlier with a models and photographers accross the United States. Then I think about all the e-mails and phone calls I need to return ... and then songs I heard while being online with my music on.  Anyone else have a hard time sleeping due to technology overload?

Apr 27 06 05:05 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

https://the_real_pindar.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/ugly3.jpg
I won't call you back until you do... BIOTCH!

Apr 27 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

I had a intresting conversation with a friend about this issue and while she didn't
totally agree with my phone message.  She said, 'you planned on paying her,
right?'  Yes.  Then she needed to get over it and give you a time to call.
Maybe you could have been more polite but you're not friends this is bussiness.
She could have told you over the phone that you came off kind of rude.  She
added this.  People in bussiness are often crisp and no nonsense.  She sounds
like a bit of a baby and a little too sensitive.  My friend is a part time actor.
She ended with, 'I've been to auditions where people were really rude.'  Its not
nice but they don't have time for backrubs.'  I still do feel my actions were a bit
rude but hey I feel better.

Apr 27 06 08:13 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I had a intresting conversation with a friend about this issue and while she didn't
totally agree with my phone message.  She said, 'you planned on paying her,
right?'  Yes.  Then she needed to get over it and give you a time to call.
Maybe you could have been more polite but you're not friends this is bussiness.
She could have told you over the phone that you came off kind of rude.  She
added this.  People in bussiness are often crisp and no nonsense.  She sounds
like a bit of a baby and a little too sensitive.  My friend is a part time actor.
She ended with, 'I've been to auditions where people were really rude.'  Its not
nice but they don't have time for backrubs.'  I still do feel my actions were a bit
rude but hey I feel better.

it's good that you realize you were rude, b/c you were and therefore you learned from your mistake in being crass.

for the record just b/c you're paying someone doesn't give anyone the right to expedite rudeness to someone, that's absurd

don't justify the model's actions with being over sensitive, she sounds like me a no non-sense type of person and I don't tolerate RUDENESS from anyone and I wouldn't have responded to you based on that principal alone.

most importantly her 'justifiable' actions made you think about your actions and wha la, you now understand the ramifications with projecting 'abrasiveness' tha's not warranted.

Apr 27 06 09:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

My wife as usual gave me the once over and I agree with her.  I'm not all that
sorry I won't shoot her.  No big deal but I want to always check myself even
when other people won't do it.  My friend wasn't supporting my rudeness she was
just saying that sometimes things are said or written and before you get angry about them talk them over.  She contacted me about paid work and if things were confused or she felt I was rude so be it.  Call me on it but still do the shoot if at all
possible.  Don't let someones sharp mouth keep money out of your pocket.  However thats me.  I'm pretty direct, I understand how she might feel.  Ah life.  If
I had all the answers I'd be a Iman.

Apr 27 06 09:21 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
My wife as usual gave me the once over and I agree with her.  I'm not all that
sorry I won't shoot her.  No big deal but I want to always check myself even
when other people won't do it.  My friend wasn't supporting my rudeness she was
just saying that sometimes things are said or written and before you get angry about them talk them over.  She contacted me about paid work and if things were confused or she felt I was rude so be it.  Call me on it but still do the shoot if at all
possible.  Don't let someones sharp mouth keep money out of your pocket.  However thats me.  I'm pretty direct, I understand how she might feel.  Ah life.  If
I had all the answers I'd be a Iman.

but what you should understand everything in life isn't about $$$$$$$$$$$ and someone's sharpness as you put it will NOT be tolerated by all and your experience with this model is a clear example and hopefully the last...

some people are not going to waste their time dealing with certain types of energy or babysit someone's crassness (taking the time to call one out on it as you stated)...

it just doesn't work that way, you're asking for ALOT for someone to put aside their principles for a STRANGER none the less, shoot I don't do it for family members, if you're rude, RESOLVE your issues first, then call me *wink

Apr 27 06 09:38 pm Link

Photographer

SolKat Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

#1 as a female i never answer unknown #'s or blocked calls or even #'s i dont know. leave a voicemail. shes not to know your at a friend's house. why block his # anyways?

25 hour is insulting to a model. might as well tel her its TFCD at that rate. most are making 50-200 hour. im not saying your wrong. i think you could have approached her differently.

we all work hard as photographers. its nice of you to offer payment but always try to put yourself into someone else's shoes.

there is a  few more tactful ways like

"hey its __ i got your message we're playing phone tag. sorry i missed your call again, please call me back when you can or leave me a good time to call u back. "

instead of im not calling back until you do

just some advice.

Apr 27 06 09:46 pm Link

Model

No longer active-

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

mmm lunch you say...

Apr 27 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Hair by Nedjetti wrote:

but what you should understand everything in life isn't about $$$$$$$$$$$ and someone's sharpness as you put it will NOT be tolerated by all and your experience with this model is a clear example and hopefully the last...

some people are not going to waste their time dealing with certain types of energy or babysit someone's crassness (taking the time to call one out on it as you stated)...

it just doesn't work that way, you're asking for ALOT for someone to put aside their principles for a STRANGER none the less, shoot I don't do it for family members, if you're rude, RESOLVE your issues first, then call me *wink

I feel you for sure but I recall years back when I was going for a job.  The
person hiring was a real ass.  I left angry at some of the things he said but
after I took the job learned that was just his way.  That is a lot to ask of a model
for one photo shoot.  Did I come across bad,  yep.  Will she meet other people
like me but worse, very likely.  Now here's the deal.  I try my best to be polite
I really do.  I try to be kind and respectfull but I sometimes drop the ball.
This has been a learning expirence for me.

Apr 27 06 09:48 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

You admit your message may have been rude, and paying someone does not give you the right to be rude to them.  It's good that you are "usually" polite, and that you won't be talking to people like this in the future.  smile

Apr 27 06 09:51 pm Link

Hair Stylist

Hair by Nedjetti

New York, New York, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
I feel you for sure but I recall years back when I was going for a job.  The
person hiring was a real ass.  I left angry at some of the things he said but
after I took the job learned that was just his way.  That is a lot to ask of a model
for one photo shoot.  Did I come across bad,  yep.  Will she meet other people
like me but worse, very likely.  Now here's the deal.  I try my best to be polite
I really do.  I try to be kind and respectfull but I sometimes drop the ball.
This has been a learning expirence for me.

as my mother says "don't worry what the next person will do, JUST DO YOUR PART" and you recognizing your fault in this situation is just that, doing your part in making sure you don't come across as such again...

good for you !!!!

Apr 27 06 10:00 pm Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

All creative work, be it photography, modeling, music, sculpture, web design, whatever, requires THICK SKIN.

Be glad you *didn't* shoot her... imagine what eggshells you would have been crushing every time you critiqued a pose or asked for a makeup touchup!

Unless you are a therapist, life's too short to work with fragile people. Pass on and find people who love life and have a passion for what they do.

Apr 28 06 12:31 am Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Don't let someones sharp mouth keep money out of your pocket.

Ahhhh...the notion that we are all just whores to the almighty dollar!

As you know, models and photographers have to spend quite a bit of time together on the shoot (with some exceptions).  For that reason, your personality is more of a factor in her consideration of whether or not to work with you.  This was a voice message, no less.  So,  she probably thought, "If he is *already* speaking to me in this way; how pleasant is a daylong shoot with him going to be"? 

To be quite honest, I won't work with someone if I feel they are an a**hole (which, truth be told, may have been her thought....I'm just sayin' :-)).  I don't care whether I'm being paid or not for my time.  It's my choice whether or not to spend my afternoon with you - and not all of us will let others treat us poorly for a few bucks. 

If you contact people, and it's your initial contact, you may need to make a conscious, concerted effort to be more polite.  Trust me, I know it's not easy :-).  But, it *does* set the tone for the other person - and may make them more inclined to call you back.  Once you've got them on the phone...well...I guess you can unleash your inner rude (JOKE!).

As for paying her, you SHOULD be paying models who will add something special to your port - regardless of how good your work.  I've seen VERY few people whose work was so terrific that they should think themselves above paying *anyone*.  Bravo to you for recognizing the value in hiring good models :-)!

Now...play nice :-).

Apr 28 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

I'm in agreement with the others, you may have come across as a tad rude or "agressive".

Now I understand that you're paying, and while not everyone may be a whore chasing the all mighty dollar, I for one am.  But I have my price.  If you called me up and told my I was going to make my day rate of $1,500 and you were rude, well, I'd suck it up and kiss your ass for the gig.  But, if you were rude and told me you were going to pay me $100 I'd tell you to kiss my ass.  See what I'm saying?  BTW, I'm not trying to be rude to you or to say that you *were* that rude, I'm just giving you an example of how I, and perhaps someone else, might see it.  I'm also not saying that your offer was not good - from what I've seen on this site, it was more than good.  But it may not have been worth it to her.  Or maybe she would have flaked on you anyway.

I find most of business is simply a matter of good communications skills and managing expectations.  I've gotten some GREAT models to work with me for free, because I paid them in other ways (nice photos, respect and a fun time).  Try a little honey next time...

Apr 28 06 12:44 am Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'd like to point out that this has got to be one of the most sensibly-executed threads on an original subject of conflict and irritation, that I've ever seen! :-)

I attribute much of the politeness to Tony's consideration of all the responses given, and actual self-reflection on how he dealt with the model. Whereas many "annoyed" posts seem to sollicit similar opinions and shun disagreeing ones, you appear to be genuinely interested in learning from the experience. I wish there were more of that attitude around here; might get a few more constructive discussions...

Edit: also doesn't hurt that somehow, no one immediately jumped on your ass with some witty one-liner, summarizing what an idiot you must be etc.

~Sabina

Apr 28 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Fluffytek

My personal take.

In my main business I tend to make a lot of calls, often at the customers request. I have found that leaving any message on voice mail is a waste of time, so I dont do it anymore.

If I get voice mail, I hang up and send an email. 99% of the time the response I get "Sorry I missed your call, thanks for the email, heres my mobile number".

Works better than getting annoyed smile

Apr 28 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

MaryPetiteModel wrote:

As you know, models and photographers have to spend quite a bit of time together on the shoot (with some exceptions).  For that reason, your personality is more of a factor in her consideration of whether or not to work with you.  This was a voice message, no less.  So,  she probably thought, "If he is *already* speaking to me in this way; how pleasant is a daylong shoot with him going to be"? 

To be quite honest, I won't work with someone if I feel they are an a**hole (which, truth be told, may have been her thought....I'm just sayin' :-)).  I don't care whether I'm being paid or not for my time.  It's my choice whether or not to spend my afternoon with you - and not all of us will let others treat us poorly for a few bucks. 

If you contact people, and it's your initial contact, you may need to make a conscious, concerted effort to be more polite.  Trust me, I know it's not easy :-).  But, it *does* set the tone for the other person - and may make them more inclined to call you back.  Once you've got them on the phone...well...I guess you can unleash your inner rude (JOKE!).

As for paying her, you SHOULD be paying models who will add something special to your port - regardless of how good your work.  I've seen VERY few people whose work was so terrific that they should think themselves above paying *anyone*.  Bravo to you for recognizing the value in hiring good models :-)!

Its intresting to hear how I sound from other people.  When I said I would ONLY call back after she gave me a time it came accross like I had called several
times and in truth it was my first call.  My wife has to sometimes remind me
of what I'm saying might be taken the wrong way.  Although I didn't mean to
be rude it came accross that way.  I'll adjust my messages so that they are less
curt.  Its funny when I told my wife (most conservative Black women in the U.S.)
about what happened she gave me that look.  Men know it and all women know
how to give it.  She said and how many times have you called her?  One I said,
well dumbass (She really said, Tony. Dumbass is creative license.)  you could
have said just give me a good time to call back without that added stuff.

Apr 28 06 09:06 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:

I think she should have brushed it off. She doesnt know you and she doesnt know how you meant it just by a voicemail. Its a paid job, call the photog back, set the date, and give it 110%. Period.

Apr 28 06 09:16 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

while maybe your phrasing was not the best of choices, I do think that maybe the model did jump the gun a little. I'm not saying that anyone should take being spoken to in a rude way, but when going for paying jobs (despite the amount of pay) you're entering into a business realationship that should be handled with maturity. Sending the nasty email was not the best approach on her part either. I would have called and felt how you were when I actually talked to you. Everyone has an off day or can be in a rush. However, as someone pointed out, it would have been nice to explain why your number was blocked as many are uncomfortable with this. And leaving an email or another voice mail with an apology on it might have saved the relationship and the shoot.

Apr 28 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its intresting to hear how I sound from other people....

Tony it's a generational thang!

Frankly if she thinks you were rude don't ever send her around my way. I'm way too old to play the games and I won't. Typically it goes like... I call the model - - - "Hello, this is.....  I have a paying job for you for next week. I am in the office every day between 11am and 1pm. Call me by 1pm this Friday or the offer is toast."

If they don't want the work, don't want the money, and don't call they can f**k off. They only get one chance - the first one and the last one.

Studio36

Apr 28 06 09:58 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

You know what Tony...you are the best! I just love your honesty and the way you hold no punches! tongue

Yes you were rude, but I agree that she needs to get over it, hell  you have been rude to me before and still I would hop a flight to Texas to work with you anytime! And I would do it for free, you are paying her...please tell me what the problem is! For once, even though you were admittingly rude, Im on your side and agree that you were paying her so she needs to stop being a baby, get over it, and go to the damn shoot! smile

Apr 28 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

I think she should have brushed it off. She doesnt know you and she doesnt know how you meant it just by a voicemail. Its a paid job, call the photog back, set the date, and give it 110%. Period.

Thats kind of how I felt at first.  If you heard how I said it.  I considered myself
easy going but she took it as rude and I guess it was but for $25.00 to $50.00
an hour I'd call back but thats me.  I'd ask the person did they mean to be rude.
I'm pretty direct.  She has limited work on her profile here and I don't think is working as a model much but I don't know for sure.  Some one mentioned $25.00
to $50.00 per hour for a model isn't much but it really is for someone who isn't a
pro level model yet money wasn't a issue for her and even if things were eased
between us I wouldn't want to shoot her either.  I'll watch my tone and what I say
in future but I'm somewhat in your camp in many ways.  We don't know each other
I'm paying you ,take a moment to find to reach me and clarify what I meant.
The blocked number was due to my calling from a friends number.

Apr 28 06 10:15 am Link

Model

MaryPetiteModel

Los Angeles, California, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
My wife has to sometimes remind me
of what I'm saying might be taken the wrong way.  Although I didn't mean to
be rude it came accross that way.  I'll adjust my messages so that they are less
curt.  Its funny when I told my wife (most conservative Black women in the U.S.)
about what happened she gave me that look.  Men know it and all women know
how to give it.  She said and how many times have you called her?  One I said,
well dumbass (She really said, Tony. Dumbass is creative license.)  you could
have said just give me a good time to call back without that added stuff.

LOL...thank God for spouses, eh :-)?  Your wife sounds like a sharp woman!  It IS nice, as another pointed out, that you are willing to examine your role in things.  It's never easy, but when we're working through e-mail, phone, etc. (anything not face-to-face), sometimes we have to work harder to come across in the way we really mean.
Best of luck to you...and I'm sure you'll have someone else lined up quickly (if not already)!

Apr 28 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Hell I pay $200 for my shoots per day and I have some problems getthing them to call.  The NEW FLAKE factor I do believe.  bs

Apr 29 06 07:11 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Porchia wrote:
You know what Tony...you are the best! I just love your honesty and the way you hold no punches! tongue

Yes you were rude, but I agree that she needs to get over it, hell  you have been rude to me before and still I would hop a flight to Texas to work with you anytime! And I would do it for free, you are paying her...please tell me what the problem is! For once, even though you were admittingly rude, Im on your side and agree that you were paying her so she needs to stop being a baby, get over it, and go to the damn shoot! smile

Porchia a model e-mailed me seconds after I e-mailed the other model with nice
things to say about my portfoilo.  Its beautifull women like you and her that make
all this worth while.  I think I've been guilty of this too.  We respond in anger before we really know the whole story or the person we are working with.
For example, if I as a model had a problem with a photographer I might be very
cautious in the future.  That makes sense but unless its known then the next
photographer takes a models caution as suspicion and fear.  No ones required to
give their life stories of course and this isn't Blind date which I love.  However
sometimes a little background helps people understand us better.

Apr 29 06 09:26 am Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

MaryPetiteModel wrote:

Wait until your older.  By that time you pretty much learn that almost everyone is an a**hole.  In one way or another.

Apr 29 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

Amanda Schlicher

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I'm not saying that you are or were necessarily rude (because I wasn't there), but IF someone struck me as rude or unpleasant right off the bat, I wouldn't call them back either (I turned down a REAL photography job working as an assistant at an ad agency because the head photographer was rude to me at the interview... maybe I missed a golden opportunity, but it was more important to me to avoid spending all day every day with someone I couldn't stand).

I think a lot of people get their undies in a bundle because they think if they have money they can throw their weight around and expect people to act accordingly in order to get that money.  The fact is, some people have integrity and prioritize money lower on the list than pleasant interactions and having fun on the job.  Some people just aren't desperate enough for money to bend to your will (especially for $50).

Apr 29 06 09:41 am Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

Your bad. Just because you are paying does not give you license to be rude. I would also venture a guess that her reaction was also a function of the way in which you said what you did. Sometimes its in the way the message is delivered, not in what was said.

Apr 29 06 09:51 am Link