Forums > General Industry > Is Tyra a supermodel?

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CristinaLex wrote:
well from what I have found and or research the definition of a supermodel is defined differently by different things

1. some define it to be the status of pay ( top paid model at the time)
2. Some base or define it by how much youve accomplished
3. some base or define it by your celebrity status......

Okay instead of saying "some", can you cite your sources and after citing your sources, define whether based on those sources if Tyra fits THEIR definition of a "supermodel."

after that, cite YOUR DEFINITION of a supermodel, the criteria and how you arrived at that definition....then, based on your definition, tell us why (or why doesnt) Tyra fit into your definition of a supermodel.....
and let me make it clear this is to what I have found...not what I know and what I think...geez

Apr 18 06 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

What are you talking about? Tyra was on Fresh prince in 1994, three years after she made it big in paris. Being attractive doesn't determine whether you're a supermodel or not.Just b/c u don't think shes cute(shes aight) doesn't take the place of all her accomplishments b4 and after 94.

I am impressed that you as a 17 year old are educating some of these "older" azz people on matters...what the heck does her being "pretty" have to  do with her being a SUPERMODEL?

Apr 18 06 04:23 pm Link

Model

Karamel

Detroit, Michigan, US

Ransom J wrote:

Progress is slow.....AND uneven.  One side of the spectrum WILL be lauded more than the other before you see total acceptance.  it's the nature of the game.

What makes progress even SLOWER is when the members of said group can't see the forrest for the trees and create infighting because "them people" over there are getting something that THEY ain't getting.

Fuck all that.  If it takes a full acceptance of lighter shades to initiate a full acceptance of ALL shades, it's a bullet we have to bite, or make our OWN and SUPPORT it.

Ransom J is SOOOO INTELLIGENT!! wink *hugz* now back to the scheduled 'hate' everyone who's hating. LOL

Apr 18 06 04:27 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

images by elahi wrote:

I am impressed that you as a 17 year old are educating some of these "older" azz people on matters...what the heck does her being "pretty" have to  do with her being a SUPERMODEL?

LOL. Thats not what I meant..what I mean was. Pretty is an opinion, u thinking shes ugly has nothing to do with her supermodel status

Apr 18 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

CristinaLex wrote:

no i didnt ..each definition i found was seperate by itself on different sites...some would say tyra didnt accomplish much because her career lacks high fashion, but she was paid

some would say she was one of the top paid models, last year and the year before she ranked last and barely ranked at all for one of the top paid models...soo this is information I have found...not what i know and what I think...

Apr 18 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

DANACOLE

Oslo, Oslo, Norway

CristinaLex wrote:

no i didnt ..each definition i found was seperate by itself on different sites...some would say tyra didnt accomplish much because her career lacks high fashion, but she was paid

some would say she was one of the top paid models, last year and the year before she ranked last and barely ranked at all for one of the top paid models...soo this is information I have found...not what i know and what I think...

lol,

ive been reading all of your responses and they just really sound bad. You sound like a bitter model in all honesty.

You talk as if Tyra "a black woman" being on the cover of Vogue is nothing.
Where can I pick up a copy of you on it at???

Tyra has done many runway shows. High fashion and for Victoria Secret. She was known and still is know for her walks on the runways. I loved her runway walk and how she demanded prescence on the runways.
Have you been on any runways yet???

How many black models can say they have been on the cover of Sports Illustrated??
Where can I pick up your issue where you are on the cover again??

Victoria Secret models are very highly paid. You saying that ain't nothing either???
I don't know any model who would turn down the offer to model Victoria Secret if they were asked...Im sure I can INCLUDE  you in that pool as well. Hell Im not even a model but best believe if they called me and said we want you, sign me up.

Not trying to call you out but damn.
Your replys to this thread about "just not liking the girl" has gone wayyyyyy past that. Everyone who didn't think she was special said thier peace and left. Yet they still acknowleged her for her accomplishments.
You going on and on is crazy and embarrassing.

Then the fact that you are on this skin preference thing that you aren't brown-skinned but light skinned. What does that matter. Why do you continue to argue it with people who think otherwise?
You already said they haven't seen you in person so why are you still trying to plead your case???
Sounds like you are afraid to associate yourself with anything darker then yellow????

whew

Apr 18 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:
LOL. Thats not what I meant..what I mean was. Pretty is an opinion, u thinking shes ugly has nothing to do with her supermodel status

No it wasnt your statement I was referring to but your response to someone else's statement.....LOL  Olson's statement regarding Tyra on Fresh Prince...your response to him was what I was commending you for

Apr 18 06 05:11 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

yeah forgive me i can be verrry slow sometimes.

Apr 18 06 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:
yeah forgive me i can be verrry slow sometimes.

dont worry...you and Cristina both .LOL

just joking

Apr 18 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

images by elahi wrote:

dont worry...you and Cristina both .LOL

just joking

Well half of that joke was true the other half wasn't..hmm

Apr 18 06 08:36 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Talitha Williams

Miami, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:
I am really starting to think that peolpe got thier colors HELLA mixed up..im light skinned..not brown...im not gonna sit here and call you brown or light..you think what you think about yourself..I am not brown skinn..i maybe or have black in me..but that doesnt make me brown skin..

everyone i know says i am light skinned...yall color preception is fucked up

and yall are only seeing pics in my port...the lighting might make me look darker...i am not dark skinned brown skinned....

i have caremel light skinn...

caramel is a shade of brown....it has yellow undertones, but it is still brown...

Apr 18 06 11:14 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

i thought i was caramel..??

Apr 19 06 12:19 am Link

Makeup Artist

Talitha Williams

Miami, Florida, US

its all relative....lol most people use themselves as their own point of reference... so what is yellow to one person might be brown to another ... imo all black people are brown...anyone not white is brown in my book, just different shades... lol

Apr 19 06 12:44 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

AnnieStyle

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Tyra Banks was a fu%$ing supermodel.  Now she is a mogul... getting closer to Oprah, Russell Simmons status.   Go girl, I love Tyra!

Apr 19 06 07:46 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

AnnieStyle wrote:
Tyra Banks was a fu%$ing supermodel.  Now she is a mogul... getting closer to Oprah, Russell Simmons status.   Go girl, I love Tyra!

I wouldn't go as far as to say...oprah, but yeah she is a mogul...

Apr 19 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

CristinaLex wrote:
If I was dark skinned exotic from Africa or any country that you might find a African Women as beautiful as Iman or Naomi, I would learn how to work the industry to bend to my natural beauty..Alek Wek has not changed for no one..she is the same dark chocolate, twinkled eye, big cheeked model as always..and bald for that matter..thats how they found her thats how she remain..i dont see her running to get a weave (unless needed for a show or a shoot) and buying color contacts or getting boob or lip jobs...

As was stated before, part of being a model is being able to adapt, change your appearance, and be versatile.. Many people criticise Keanu Reeves since he's one-dimensional and can only play 1 part. It's akin to that. No model who is extremely typecast or pigeonholed will get much work, varied or within your own niche since being a "stereotype" severely limits you.

CristinaLex wrote:
ohh and I Hate that term supermodel, it is a stupid term...the heffa dont have super powers...she could zap you with her forehead, but this term should be tossed in the dumpster with:
Diva
Dime (Dime Piece)

I actually like the term diva. How bout we replace that word on your list with the word "heffa."

I seriously don't know if Cristina will be back to post but it really seemed as if she has major issues with this industry and simply chose to hate on Tyra as a scapegoat. If Tyra hasn't done much, then I'm sure all of us here are just sitting on our asses, rotting away and killing more braincells reading this thread. As for the insecurites of her own skin color... yellow? Sorry, but yellow for me HAS always and WILL always refer to ASIANS.

oh, and to get this reply back on topic.. Tyra is a supermodel turned mogul. I'm not sure what the next status for her would be. Icon/legend?

Apr 20 06 07:10 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Yes, Tyra is a supermodel.

IMO, it doesn't matter what she's doing NOW, but she accomplished A LOT during her younger years. PLUS, having her own show solidifies her status as a supermodel.

Now, to go back and read the responses from the last 2-3 pages. LOL

Apr 20 06 07:17 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:

dont care...shes corny and i dont think she is a supermodel...i think that title goes to those more deserving...not her...definitely not her...she a cornball..old..played out..still trying to glam....

Wow.

Is it that deep?

I mean, if this was another model who did the same things in life, would you say the same thing, or is this just a "Tyra" thing?

Apr 20 06 07:22 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

*cough*

Jun 03 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Tyra has broken all the rules, she doesn't really  have a model body, ( even she says ).

She has TWO television shows in primetime, an endorsement deal with Vicki Secrets, has her fingers in a dozen other enterprises, if that ain't a super model, I dunno what is...

The fashion snobs, "Oh she's not a skinny waif" blah-blah-blah...I say she's a super model if for no other reason, she has achieved success even when the odds were against her. Go Ty!

I wouldn't mind having her bank account...so what she's no on a cover of Vogue? She's a huge success and gives inspiration to others who don't look like a refugee, and she behaves herself..That damn Naomi has been in so many embarrassing situations that have brought her shame and discredit in the industry... Tyra loves her Mom, she can't be all bad.

Jun 03 06 06:08 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sommer Mbonu Pro Makeup

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

I think you have to define what a "supermodel" is. The super model phrase came to head in the 1990s, as being a fasion/runway divas.The decade of runway/campaigns,and when "models" actually posed on the covers of top fashion magazines.Top models are second best. Now, with that said has tyra worked up to all these areas?

Super models , are the creme de la creme,pay there dues and have the "it" factor.  She was a covergirl model, she was a sports illustrated model, and a victoria secrets model. Unfortunitly her runway days ran short(compared to other girls still working the runway). She has not really had many FASHION campaigns, that i can think of..really... She left "the business" to soon to pursue acting(ala fresh prince) & movies etc. She played it tooo safe with fashion, yah S.I and V.S gets you noticed but it is not considered "fashion".

She is NOT a supermodel but a savvy business women who knows how to market herself.Even tyra herself wouldn't say she is a supermodel.Why do you think her show is called "americas next TOP MODEL", not "americas next SUPER MODEL". LOL
; )

Jun 03 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

edgymodels

Atlantic Beach, Florida, US

DON"T ASK A CRAZY QUESTION LIKE THAT!!!
edgy models

Jun 03 06 06:59 pm Link

Model

ChristineLynn

Chattanooga, Tennessee, US

Whi is Tyra banks ????----Never heard of her

Jun 03 06 07:01 pm Link

Model

Pryclss

Sunset Valley, Texas, US

AnnieStyle wrote:

Umm...no, I DEFINITELY wouldn't go that far. Granted, she's making some very smart and lucrative deals.....Mogul?? Comparison to Oprah???? Pick up the latest Forbes, she's not even in the same solar system as Oprah. But, respectfully so, near the poverty marks, Tyra is not....

Jun 05 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

Funny how a Tyra post always appears when her T.V. show is on?

Jun 05 06 05:56 pm Link

Model

Meagan Colf

Seligman, Missouri, US

hmmm interesting posts! lolol  I do consider her a supermodel, as even tho I'm 17 she is the first one to jump in my mind. She was catwalk diva in the 80's from what I've read, and now does take a stand about models and their weight. (Was she even a size 4 back then??)

And I agree with the talking down on her Next top model show. Sometimes I wonder how much of that is for "show" and how much is "real" know what I mean??
I mean she isn't baaaad like that Janice Dickinson (can't stand her!!), but she has disolved quite a few girls into tears.

Just my humple opinion here!! smile~

Jun 05 06 06:14 pm Link