Forums > General Industry > Is Tyra a supermodel?

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

So I got into this debated about if tyra is a supermodel. heres what the other poster(on a different site)said.

tyra is a top model not a supermodel..if she was supermodel she would still be doing compaigns with the top fashion houses. She couldn't to high fashion anymore because none of the fashion houses would hire her because they would call her grosso or fat. Since she gained weight she switched over to swimsuit modeling victoria secret which really isn't high fashion and doing covers for men magazine that celebrates her figure that she now has.

If you read vogue magazine when they discuss the top supermodels they never really mention her tyra but they sure do mention beverly johnson, iman, and noami campbell. Tyra banks modeling career pale in comparison to the other black models that precedes her.

she is mostly known for victoris secret and this show....the tyra show is sinking in the ratings.

Noami, Cindy, Giselle, and Liya kebode are supermodels because they get covers on the top 4 vogue magazines (italy, france, uk, u.s.a.) Tyra got the cover of vogue spain which really doesn't compare to the top 4.

Like I said before...she is a top model that is now a famous t.v. personality but no way is she a supermodel.

Alright basically what I wrote back to her is that shes mistaking a top model for a supermodel. A supermodel is a house hold name, is recognized walking down the street. A top model can be in every spread, on every cover and acclaimed in the industry..but if shes unknown on the street shes not a supermodel. So what do u guys think? is she a supermodel? I think so.

Apr 17 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Renee Compeau

Kingston, Georgia, US

I think she is I agree with you 100%

Apr 17 06 11:07 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

i dont know I never considered Tyra a supermodel...There are others to me that have achieved a lil more than she has.. plus she has fallen into that catergory of t.v celebrity...its hard to me to call her...but i mean people will have  thier opinions..Tyra hasnt been on every mag or models for a lot of high end fashion designers...soo calling her supermodel isnt in MY vocab...but like I said people will have thier opinions

Apr 17 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Keston Duke Photography

New York, New York, US

CL get back to work.

as for Tyra, anybody who can run circles round u in terms of income is super.

Apr 17 06 11:18 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Tyra, ya. Show any 6 random guys at the mall her image they know who she is. Super Models are rarely still top models. Supermodels are hired for thier name more than thier bodies. Tyra has a tv show, supermodel for sure.

Apr 17 06 11:23 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

CristinaLex wrote:
i dont know I never considered Tyra a supermodel...There are others to me that have achieved a lil more than she has.. plus she has fallen into that catergory of t.v celebrity...its hard to me to call her...but i mean people will have  thier opinions..Tyra hasnt been on every mag or models for a lot of high end fashion designers...soo calling her supermodel isnt in MY vocab...but like I said people will have thier opinions

In that case though, Adrian Lima and Gisele aren't supermodels either. Niether is heidi klum. They're all t.v celebrities in there native countries(especially heidi and lima). Tyra has been on tons of elle and cosmo covers and she was high fashion for a period of time(early in her career). I'd never say shes a top model(b/c she didn't do THAT many vogue covers her campaigns) but she did and is one of the most famous models out there..which "qualifies" for that supermodel status.Personally, I can't stand her and i think shes a big hypocrite but thats another story..

Apr 17 06 11:26 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Electra T wrote:

In that case though, Adrian Lima and Gisele aren't supermodels either. Niether is heidi klum. They're all t.v celebrities in there native countries(especially heidi and lima). Tyra has been on tons of elle and cosmo covers and she was high fashion for a period of time(early in her career). I'd never say shes a top model(b/c she didn't do THAT many vogue covers her campaigns) but she did and is one of the most famous models out there..which "qualifies" for that supermodel status.Personally, I can't stand her and i think shes a big hypocrite but thats another story..

I am not callin her a top model..but I wouldnt say that she a super model...I really dont consider some of victoria's secret models super models...Some of them have done nothing but VS..I might be wrong but thats how i see it..we can only recognize some of the models as VS models and nothing else...

Unlike some Models who do do runway and shoots for high end shows and fashion magazines..not the critically acclaimed VS models...so what big deal...but I do understand what your saying...

Apr 17 06 11:30 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Unlike some Models who do do runway and shoots for high end shows and fashion magazines..not the critically acclaimed VS models...so what big deal...but I do understand what your saying...

??Tyra has done high fashion, its just not what shes remembered for...she has a big forehead...kind of random but still true.

Apr 17 06 11:33 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Electra T wrote:

??Tyra has done high fashion, its just not what shes remembered for...she has a big forehead...kind of random but still true.

Yea soo too me shell be nothing but a Victorias Secret Model which isnt much to me but another retail store model...lol..but Im soo wrong...

Apr 17 06 11:36 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Yea soo too me shell be nothing but a Victorias Secret Model which isnt much to me but another retail store model...lol..but Im soo wrong...

I would luv to be in VS. May not be high fashion or any fashion, but hell i'd just be happy  that my ass got asked...*sighs*

Apr 17 06 11:40 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Electra T wrote:

I would luv to be in VS. May not be high fashion or any fashion, but hell i'd just be happy  that my ass got asked...*sighs*

Yea would be a cool think to do ..but there are way better lingerie that VS get some of its exclusive stuff from that I would love to see on the runway...I need to get my ass in Vickies  and get some new things...havent pampered myself in a while

Apr 17 06 11:41 am Link

Photographer

Cross Photography

Nashua, New Hampshire, US

I don't care wether you call her a Top model or a Super model, she's annoying.. She's beautiful sure but, I can't stand listening to her.. The way she talks down to the aspiring models on her show is awful.. why does she have to stand up on a box looking down on the woman?? Sorry if i'm being a little harsh but there's something about her i can't stand..

Apr 17 06 11:42 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Yea would be a cool think to do ..but there are way better lingerie that VS get some of its exclusive stuff from that I would love to see on the runway...I need to get my ass in Vickies  and get some new things...havent pampered myself in a while

La perla has nice stuff too.

Apr 17 06 11:45 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Cross Photography wrote:
I don't care wether you call her a Top model or a Super model, she's annoying.. She's beautiful sure but, I can't stand listening to her.. The way she talks down to the aspiring models on her show is awful.. why does she have to stand up on a box looking down on the woman?? Sorry if i'm being a little harsh but there's something about her i can't stand..

Tyra banks isn't beautiful to me, she has beautiful eye(in shape) and a nice mouth but thats it. I watch antm, I've noticed her talking down to the models(thats janices job). I've noticed that she does give them pretty good advice on occasion. I just don't like her hypocritcal stance on black beauty. "Black woman shouldn't be scared to be darker" but shes the first person to go stich(?) strawberry blonde and flaming red weave all up and through her head. What the hell is that??

Apr 17 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

well now: how are we defining supermodel? I think the fact that she is a global brand and mega million franchise qualifies her for supermodel status.....

Apr 17 06 11:50 am Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

Electra T wrote:

I might give heidi US supermodel status based mainly on I know her name and not the other two. In case anyone missed it I focus on art photography and am not familiar with much of the fasion world. So any national model I know by name that I have never talked to, I consider a supermodel. If I know her name preobably ever guys does. Idont read any mags. Maybe HM but thats actually music.

Apr 17 06 11:58 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

images by elahi wrote:
well now: how are we defining supermodel? I think the fact that she is a global brand and mega million franchise qualifies her for supermodel status.....

The definition itself

supermodel-a fashion model who has attained the status of a celebrity

supermodel-A supermodel is a highly paid fashion model in an elite group with a worldwide reputation.

Apr 17 06 11:59 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

I might give heidi US supermodel status based mainly on I know her name and not the other two. In case anyone missed it I focus on art photography and am not familiar with much of the fasion world. So any national model I know by name that I have never talked to, I consider a supermodel. If I know her name preobably ever guys does. Idont read any mags. Maybe HM but thats actually music.

I've never actually seen her commercials in germany, but I have family there and she as her own Germanys next top model and stuff. I've seen Adrianas commercials in Brazil though and some are actually kind of funny. You know her name cuz shes a "household" name. Seeeeeee.

Apr 17 06 12:02 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Tyra is no longer a Supermodel. She's surpassed that and into media mogul. No one hear may want to agree with that...but it's a technical facand left for opinion. As for Tyra's history...she's done more major campaings thaNaomi...but not more than Iman. Remember the battle of the supermodels in the mid-80's wheTyra returned from Paris and Naomi was THE Black Supermodel of the time.
S. All VS Angels (not the random models) are designated Supermodels. They're  bigger than life and receive far more exposure AND income thaany other models. The average yearly (salary alone) is 1 to 1 1/2 million dollars.

Also, Heidi Klum IS an idustry and media mogul as well. Being the HIGHEST paid model and onef the top 20 highest paid celebrities last year.
Models Income for Heidi: 5.6 million est.
Total Income: 52 million

She's got a television show (we all know the name) that she's also the producer of, endorsement deals, her own specialty clothing line and product line, merchandising, radio talk show that she produces and is about to produce another TV show.

Special note: This is Tyra's last seasoas a Victoria's Secret Model. Her contractas ended. Having the longest career as an Angel...she's made it to the maximum
age limit in their contracts. Which was actually for consideration for being revised to keep her on.

Heidi is close to he  contract endinalso...althoug  she's not at the age limit...she's got so much going on that it's not feasible to contiue.

So is Tyra (or Heidi) a supermodel?
No.
She's become so much more.

Whether we agree with it or not. It's fact and our opinions are simply mute.

Apr 17 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Crazy-Evil Angelus wrote:
Tyra is no longer a Supermodel. She's surpassed that and into media mogul. No one hear may want to agree with that...but it's a technical facand left for opinion. As for Tyra's history...she's done more major campaings thaNaomi...but not more than Iman. Remember the battle of the supermodels in the mid-80's wheTyra returned from Paris and Naomi was THE Black Supermodel of the time.
S. All VS Angels (not the random models) are designated Supermodels. They're  bigger than life and receive far more exposure AND income thaany other models. The average yearly (salary alone) is 1 to 1 1/2 million dollars.

Also, Heidi Klum IS an idustry and media mogul as well. Being the HIGHEST paid model and onef the top 20 highest paid celebrities last year.

She's got a television show (we all know the name) that she's also the producer of, endorsement deals, her own specialty clothing line and product line, merchandising, radio talk show that she produces and is about to produce another TV show.

Special note: This is Tyra's last seasoas a Victoria's Secret Model. Her contractas ended. Having the longest career as an Angel...she's made it to the maximum
age limit in their contracts. Which was actually for consideration for being revised to keep her on.

Heidi is close to he  contract endinalso...althoug  she's not at the age limit...she's got so much going on that it's not feasible to contiue.

No.

Great post!smile

Apr 17 06 12:38 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Electra T wrote:

you lost me on the big forehead remark. what does her forehead have to do with modeling? You do know the Iman has a forehead too, right?

Something Iman said on t.v lastnight. It's relevant here and is relevant on a forum on this site when someone posted the sistah's showing booty all of the time.

Iman is an activist. She has a book out titled 'women of color'. When she was discovered in the early mid 70's in her home country of Somolia, she came to the States, NYC she went to a modeling agency to work and was asked if she had her own make-up because they don't have make-up for black women. She said that she was offended because she was the only black female sitting amongst blonde white women and was asked a stupid racist question.

The book that she has out is for women of color of African, Asian, Hispanic etc backgrounds. It's about inner and outer beauty that goes against the white beauty of America.

One point that Iman made which I found interesting because I have said this many times is...When modeling as a minority, you always have this question in the back of your mind, are you at the top here as a fad? Are you just disposable? She realized alot of things going on in this industry that is a reality but she also didn't stand for it. Good for you Iman for being an activist for minority women.

Foreheads is apart of African men and women. Funny, even many activist who support luv for self, still pyschologicallly get caught up in the western beauty of what is beautiful...Thinking about the forehead comment that you made. Go over to other countries and you'll see that their beauty is like night and day compared to over here.

And yes, Tyra was once a Supermodel.

Apr 17 06 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

The definition itself

supermodel-A supermodel is a highly paid fashion model in an elite group with a worldwide reputation.

well if these are the definitions then we need a new category to define Tyra!

Tyra Model

or Big Super model

or Big tremendous Supermodel

Apr 17 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Electra T wrote:

The definition itself

well if these are the definitions then we need a new category to define Tyra!

Tyra Model

or Big Super model

or Big tremendous Supermodel

Apr 17 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Crazy-Evil Angelus wrote:

No.

Great post.  Co-signed one hundred percent!

Apr 17 06 12:46 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Definetely she was a supermodel. She's is more than that. I believe super  stands  for  someone that's known all around the world. There are many  top models that are in every magazine but I bet that not even 1/4 of the population in the U.S. knows their names.

Apr 17 06 12:54 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

I maybe the only outcast here..but i still cant see the fact that she is a supermodel..nothing about tyra or what she has done screams super model to me...soo IM A OUTCAST STONE ME smile

Apr 17 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CristinaLex wrote:
I maybe the only outcast here..but i still cant see the fact that she is a supermodel..nothing about tyra or what she has done screams super model to me...soo IM A OUTCAST STONE ME smile

girl you crazy! Define SUoermodel from a business perspective...and a marketing perspective....

and I dont want to stone you but Ill spank you HARD

LOL

Apr 17 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

Jakki Browne

Los Angeles, California, US

E! Did a special on supermodels, Tyra Banks was included.

Apr 17 06 12:57 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

A supermodel is a highly paid fashion model in an elite group with a worldwide reputation. The term first gained currency by analogy with Andy Warhol's "superstars" of the 1960s, and, like "superstardom", it has been inflated to include almost anyone who finds steady access to work, uncommon in the highly volatile fashion industry.

That is a definition I have found...I mean tyra is paid but i dont think she is highly paid...and again..STONE ME...because I dont really see how she fits the definition...yes im a stubborn assholio...lol...i just dont think tyra was or am a supermodel..doesnt matter how know she is..I dont see people calling Alek Wek a supermodel and her name is known as well through out the world...she like a international model...tyra is to me..greatly known int he states than any where else..theres models in other countries that top her..so i would say America wise is she a super model...yea...but internationally, no....they probrably done forgot this heffa and moved on to better things...but i dont know like I said stone me because i dont see supermodel status in her

ohh and I Hate that term supermodel, it is a stupid term...the heffa dont have super powers...she could zap you with her forehead, but this term should be tossed in the dumpster with:
Diva
Dime (Dime Piece)

Apr 17 06 01:05 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

CristinaLex wrote:
A supermodel is a highly paid fashion model in an elite group with a worldwide reputation. The term first gained currency by analogy with Andy Warhol's "superstars" of the 1960s, and, like "superstardom", it has been inflated to include almost anyone who finds steady access to work, uncommon in the highly volatile fashion industry.

That is a definition I have found...I mean tyra is paid but i dont think she is highly paid...and again..STONE ME...because I dont really see how she fits the definition...yes im a stubborn assholio...lol...i just dont think tyra was or am a supermodel..doesnt matter how know she is..I dont see people calling Alek Wek a supermodel and her name is known as well through out the world...she like a international model...tyra is to me..greatly known int he states than any where else..theres models in other countries that top her..so i would say America wise is she a super model...yea...but internationally, no....they probrably done forgot this heffa and moved on to better things...but i dont know like I said stone me because i dont see supermodel status in her

You only made one point here. 'think'. your point of view is more of an opinion on what you don't think that she is because you are looking at her physical and what you 'think' her income may have been during her modeling days before the Victoria. Tyra was a Supermodel in todays modern term of supermodel. She has done big magazines and Sports illustrated etc..Supermodels other logo is also known by name too. Name = fame. Tyra is a famous model who model in the high -fashion industry. But has been able to be versatile enough model in the Maxum style of modeling.

Apr 17 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Sarah Marie Hilker

Los Angeles, California, US

I would consider her a supermodel even though she is retired.  She was the first African American woman on the cover of Sports Illustrated and has conquered many other feats not just any model can do.  Since she's retired, instead of being forgotten, she chooses to survive via TV.  She's a household name and can be recognized on the street.... so yes, definate supermodel!

Apr 17 06 01:12 pm Link

Photographer

images by elahi

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CristinaLex wrote:

ohh and I Hate that term supermodel, it is a stupid term...the heffa dont have super powers...she could zap you with her forehead, but this term should be tossed in the dumpster with:
Diva
Dime (Dime Piece)

find her value...her net value and your question will be answered......

Apr 17 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
you lost me on the big forehead remark. what does her forehead have to do with modeling? You do know the Iman has a forehead too, right?

Something Iman said on t.v lastnight. It's relevant here and is relevant on a forum on this site when someone posted the sistah's showing booty all of the time.

Iman is an activist. She has a book out titled 'women of color'. When she was discovered in the early mid 70's in her home country of Somolia, she came to the States, NYC she went to a modeling agency to work and was asked if she had her own make-up because they don't have make-up for black women. She said that she was offended because she was the only black female sitting amongst blonde white women and was asked a stupid racist question.

The book that she has out is for women of color of African, Asian, Hispanic etc backgrounds. It's about inner and outer beauty that goes against the white beauty of America.

One point that Iman made which I found interesting because I have said this many times is...When modeling as a minority, you always have this question in the back of your mind, are you at the top here as a fad? Are you just disposable? She realized alot of things going on in this industry that is a reality but she also didn't stand for it. Good for you Iman for being an activist for minority women.

Foreheads is apart of African men and women. Funny, even many activist who support luv for self, still pyschologicallly get caught up in the western beauty of what is beautiful...Thinking about the forehead comment that you made. Go over to other countries and you'll see that their beauty is like night and day compared to over here.

Wow you read too much into what I said. My mom met her at a nets game and she said she's pretty but her forehead is quite round.While Imans is kind of square. By the way, I have the bookThe Beauty of Color: The Ultimate Beauty Guide for Skin of Color..

I also hope that you don't take Tyra or Iman real "African Beauty". Both woman are considered beautiful because they fit in with western beauty.Yes white beauty, with there slim noses and relativey fair skin.Tyras light eyes and blonde weave. I'm not quite sure what you're ranting about though...

Apr 17 06 01:16 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Diva
Dime (Dime Piece)

I think Tyra's net worth speaks for itself.  But Chris have you ever BEEN out of the states?  I've traveled the world and seen Tyra on billboards in Spain, seenher on the covers of mags in Greece.  Seen her getting lauded in Turkey.  The girl is a household name in EVERY household.  Her fame surpasses 98 percent of models.

PLUS she got her "fame" as a model in EUROPE.  She came back tot he states and became the icon she is now, but trust that they knew about the marvel that is tyra before we had a clue who she was.

Apr 17 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

images by elahi wrote:

find her value...her net value and your question will be answered......

not really interested in her net worth...i just dont and will not see her as a supermodel...i mean i have the world against me ...but like i said that term is hella stupid...and she reminds of bubble gum pop..like that cheesy corny, tween music we hear...she reminds me of that... shes corny...i have heard of her for soo long its like she is hella old to me not special..qualities are done to me...she tired...in my mind soo...

its just me against the world...( but best believe if they have a casting call for ATNM, I will be there lol)

Apr 17 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Ransom J wrote:

I think Tyra's net worth speaks for itself.  But Chris have you ever BEEN out of the states?  I've traveled the world and seen Tyra on billboards in Spain, seenher on the covers of mags in Greece.  Seen her getting lauded in Turkey.  The girl is a household name in EVERY household.  Her fame surpasses 98 percent of models.

PLUS she got her "fame" as a model in EUROPE.  She came back tot he states and became the icon she is now, but trust that they knew about the marvel that is tyra before we had a clue who she was.

dont care...shes corny and i dont think she is a supermodel...i think that title goes to those more deserving...not her...definitely not her...she a cornball..old..played out..still trying to glam....

Apr 17 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

CristinaLex wrote:

not really interested in her net worth...i just dont and will not see her as a supermodel...i mean i have the world against me ...but like i said that term is hella stupid...and she reminds of bubble gum pop..like that cheesy corny, tween music we hear...she reminds me of that... shes corny...i have heard of her for soo long its like she is hella old to me not special..qualities are done to me...she tired...in my mind soo...

its just me against the world...( but best believe if they have a casting call for ATNM, I will be there lol)

I think what everyone is saying is that....supermodel or not isn't opinion,rather it is fact. So its not "think" or "see her"..  She IS a supermodel whethere you like her or not. I don't like her, but I have tonnnnss sof respect for her. I don't think the term is stupid, but its beena round since the 40's so...maybe it sounds a little out dated. TOP model sounds a bit dumb to me...it reminds me of the game King of the hill lol.

Apr 17 06 01:24 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

CristinaLex wrote:

dont care...shes corny and i dont think she is a supermodel...i think that title goes to those more deserving...not her...definitely not her...she a cornball..old..played out..still trying to glam....

Gawd!  Why so much hate on Tyra?

Apr 17 06 01:28 pm Link

Model

CristinaLex

Electra T wrote:

I think what everyone is saying is that....supermodel or not isn't opinion,rather it is fact. So its not "think" or "see her"..  She IS a supermodel whethere you like her or not. I don't like her, but I have tonnnnss sof respect for her. I don't think the term is stupid, but its beena round since the 40's so...maybe it sounds a little out dated. TOP model sounds a bit dumb to me...it reminds me of the game King of the hill lol.

I mean i would prefer TOP model than Supermodel..because In my opinion there should only be 1 supermodel..like above the rest...and Top model to me is the model that is hot and at the moment and top paying..while the supermodel is the top and know and always highest paid model...any coined phrased for any model is stupid...but that is just how i see things..because there are soo many models that they dont need no any names because there is soo many...to me it all depends on who represents you and what you do to further your career as a model..but using coined terms/phrases sux

Apr 17 06 01:29 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

CristinaLex wrote:

Well by definition then this is just hate.  Which is ok.  You can hate who you want.  But it doesn't negate what SHE is or what SHE's accomplished.

Apr 17 06 01:30 pm Link