Forums > General Industry > Telling women they are beautiful

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Its a no win situation for men

You tell a woman shes got buck teeth, knobby knees and a face that makes a gargoyle scream.....your called a male pig.

You tell a woman shes got a hot body, and is fabulously gorgeous.....your called a suck up.

Yeah, lets give the men a break. They can't all get their feet out of their mouths as gracefully as I can...lol

Apr 13 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:

This falls within the OP's accepted realm of conversation, and it is also part of what I am saying...i think people (not just men) should verbalize about the beauty they see in something, and that if someone is beautiful in a moment, or something strikes you as beautiful, it should be able to be said without snickering.

Yes!  Absolutely!  And our significant other's shouldn't get weird or freak out... (my current one doesn't.. thankfully).  It's not about a competition... it's just stating your feelings and that should always be valid.

Apr 13 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Remember that line from Citizen Kane (my very favorite line of the film, by the way)? "I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all. But I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since then that I haven't still thought of her."

Apr 13 06 06:57 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Gregory Garecki wrote:
If you think that a model is hot and want to date her ask her out before or after the shoot.

If taking pictures is suppose to be a date or sexual entertainment for you make sure she knows about it. Otherwise you are just a creep.

I agree with this. Instead of all of this pussyfooting around, tell someone.

I think you are beautiful vs. I think you are sexually arousing and I want to fuck you...2 different things. If only more people could get this clear in their head.

Apr 13 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

ThefStopsHere

Olympia, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:

From the proportion of compliments I would get, I would say I am 10x funnier than anything else....(also 4x as weird, if you consider that a compliment, which I do)

interesting ..... i'd have thought you'd say 20x as weird.  Weird!

Apr 13 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

A question for Lapis:

Would you rather have someone tell you you're beautiful after a moment's glance or tell you after an actual interaction that you're intriguing - or interesting?

Apr 13 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:

interesting ..... i'd have thought you'd say 20x as weird.  Weird!

I think the top adjectives used to describe me are: funny, weird, crazy, etc. Today some photographer told me that what I had that a lot of women lacked was GUSTO! That is good. I would rather be all those things than beautiful and vacous...so I guess if the only compliments someone gets is "you are beautiful" they may start to feel that the only cool thing about them is that they look good...that could be problematic.
I am not told I am beautiful very much because the other adjectives usually come first...lol.

Apr 13 06 07:05 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

pw-gii photographics wrote:
A question for Lapis:

Would you rather have someone tell you you're beautiful after a moment's glance or tell you after an actual interaction that you're intriguing - or interesting?

funny, I was writing about that exact thing when you posted. I would pick #2....and I guess that intriguing is my favorite....but beautiful and intriguing after a few drinks is best, but then that could be construed as 'hitting on' and then we are in a total different realm. Still, this is a pretty broad(get it...)
subject, so all of these things being said are giving me insight and will be part of one of my mini theses on human behaviour.

Apr 13 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

g2-new photographics

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Yeah.  You do have to be careful with happens after those few drinks.

smile

Apr 13 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Lapis wrote:
How do you tell someone they are beautiful/a great model without hitting on them?

If it's honest and sincere, it's honest and sincere. That's pretty nice to hear. 

If the guy is drooling or staring at your tits when when he says it, the it comes across a little different.

Women who show well and are knock-out beautiful, hear crap all day long from guys who are on them like dogs humping their leg. It's ridiculous telling them "wow, you are stunning"

True beauty comes from the inside out, from the heart, mind and soul. That's my personal favorite kind of beauty. Well, .. I also like women who don't shave all their hair off. That's pretty nice too.

I can say as a photographer taking photos, everyone has a beautiful side. Anyone can be ugly.

Seriously beautiful people can get seriously tweaked out of a nice personality because of all the false attention it draws. Then the music stops and reality crashes in.

Anyway, it's all in the eye of the beholder, right?

Apr 13 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

well the best way to say it is first..know who you are working with first. Different personalities take things differently. Some will take it as a compliment others won't. He doesn't have to necessarily have to say that they're beautiful to get his point across them.

Apr 13 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

ArtyMaverick

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Lapis wrote:
How do you tell someone they are beautiful/a great model without hitting on them?

I'd say "You got nice energy" .... The models who stand out for me, are no doubt physically beautiful, but they also have this warm glow about them, that they exude in their pictures.

Apr 13 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

MarkMarek wrote:
The best way to say "you're beautiful" is with your credit card.

Whoo HOO!!! LOL

Apr 13 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Oh man! dont you know anything!

Just come right out and say..

NICE RACK!

Geezzzzz!

Apr 13 06 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Angel Tara wrote:
Whoo HOO!!! LOL

WOW! .. Angel, you are stunningly beautiful!
:::drool:::

Click Hamilton
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Apr 13 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

We were getting close to getting somewhere.

Apr 14 06 05:24 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Lapis wrote:
Last night, I got into a conversation with my boyfriend, who looks at maybe 10% of the photos of beautiful people that I do. He told me that sometimes he wanted to give them encouragement, tell them they are a great model, etc. but when I encouraged him to do so, he said he was afraid they would think he was hitting on them. How do you tell someone they are beautiful/a great model without hitting on them?

Tell him that it's easier when you're holding a camera. He could also wear a measuring tape around his neck and say it with relative comfort. However, tell him never to hold a clipboard and tell a woman she's beautiful.

The most surefire way to not give a woman the idea that you're hitting on her when you're telling her she's beautiful is to wear a miniature Boy George hat.

Apr 14 06 05:28 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I told a model she was beautiful multiple times yesterday.. And I wasn't even trying to get laid..

Screw it..  You spend your whole damn life head down, nose to the grindstone.. Either restricted by conformity from speaking your mind, or too damned distracted to stop and smell the roses..

I don't know about other people.. But I do this (photography), because I wanted one aspect of my life where I could call a rose, "a rose," and hopefully let the world see beauty like I see it. 

I don't care what they do with it.. I don't even care if they agree..  But if you don't "see" you don't live, and if you don't "express" you might as well not live.

Apr 14 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

Since I'm female and _think_ it's obvious I'm not hitting on the girls, I overdo it sometimes. I get excited with what I see and just have to express it by yelling weird stuff. Sometimes it confuses people on the shoot ..
Example in my reply to the first comment here

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … 0ed34cccec

I have been more careful since smile

Apr 14 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

As a photographer, I give both male and female models verbal encouragement and interaction when I work with them...silent photographers, while they can be good photographers, are going to have to work with a model who doesn't need any direction whatsoever, which is going to lead to less facial expression in the model, which can be either a good or a bad thing. However, I have found that positive interaction with the models gives for more actual facial expressions, and I like 'real'.

Apr 14 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Lapis, you are beautiful.  Having talked to you more, you are even more interesting and more beautiful inside.

*  See how easy it is?  *

When political correctness gets to compliment, it's getting sad.

Apr 14 06 02:37 pm Link

Model

na52

MarkMarek wrote:

mmm I like that  ; )

Apr 14 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Fred MIller

Burbank, California, US

Thank god for Xanax!  It prevents those embarassing bulges.  No rise in the Levis when you look into their eyes.

Apr 14 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Fred MIller wrote:
Thank god for Xanax!  It prevents those embarassing bulges.  No rise in the Levis when you look into their eyes.

Xanax actually relaxes a lot of people into having a HIGHER sex drive, but if it mellows you out all the way through, good to have around for those shoots.

Apr 14 06 02:44 pm Link

Photographer

Fred MIller

Burbank, California, US

~Krista~ wrote:

Xanax actually relaxes a lot of people into having a HIGHER sex drive, but if it mellows you out all the way through, good to have around for those shoots.

Oh damn...that explains a recen...(Never Mind) :>

Apr 14 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

i struggle with this issue in both my personal and "professional" life.

of course everybody thinks all kinds of things that they don't say, about people and their bodies, as well as everything else. the question of whether or not to comment on a woman's appearance is a question of tact. there are far more inappropriate ways to say a woman is beautiful (or whatever variation thereof) than there are tactful, well-placed words of encouragement.

Apr 14 06 02:47 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

hI wEll, iN MY USA EXPERIENCE VERY FEW OF THEM REALY need THE ENCOURAGE MENT THAT THEY LOOK GOOD! tHEY KNOW THAT. hENCE THEY OFFER TO WORK AS MODELS.
tHIS was  not  IN THE CONTEXT OF A SHOOT...?
so iF HE CARES ABOUT HOW WOMEN FEEL (AND IS NOT HITTING ON THEM) MAYBE HE MIGHT CONSIDER TELLING PEOPLE / WOMEN  HE MEETS WHO ARE not SET UP AS MODELS THAT THEY LOOK GREAT. THAT would help MAKE them & THE WORLD A HAPPIER PLACE!

Apr 14 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Claudia Brunni

Dublin, California, US

Hi Everyone!!
I certainly have a lot to say about this comment so please hear me out.
My boyfriend is a well known photographer in this website and we've worked with   some of the MM models together. He is professional in the shoot and I understand that sometimes he wants to say certain things that will get the model in the right mood to get the best shots, however it is not apropriate to use words that are suggestive and/or arousing to the model or the Photographer for that matter. It is in the intention, the choice of words and the tone that will dictate how things are being said or perceived. It is not acceptable to get suggestive in any way by saying "you are hot" "Excuisite body"  "Excite Me""You are the Photographers Dream Model"
"I CAN"T WAIT" to shoot you again or in a physical way such as touching the model's hair or shoulder etc.. these comments not only are suggestive,but portray too much excitement specially if combined with much flirtation and laughter and intense eye contact with the models. A lot of models may had just started out, they need the compliments they perhaps are not getting at home or in their relationship so from a woman's point of view no matter their age, these comments can be perceived as the photographer is interested in her or hitting on her.
So, to make you feel more comfortable in complimenting your model and your girlfriend at peace "KEEP IT SIMPLE AND NOT PERSONAL"
use phrases such as " great pose" great smile" "good job"  "beautifu"
"That looks lovely" "great" "great expression"  "That looks beautiful"
If what you are proud of is the work you are getting from the model, compliment the work and the action "NOT THE MODEL"
in such personal and suggestive way. I hope this helps and gives everyone a different insight from a woman/model/photographer point of view.

Apr 14 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Lapis wrote:
Last night, I got into a conversation with my boyfriend, who looks at maybe 10% of the photos of beautiful people that I do. He told me that sometimes he wanted to give them encouragement, tell them they are a great model, etc. but when I encouraged him to do so, he said he was afraid they would think he was hitting on them. How do you tell someone they are beautiful/a great model without hitting on them?

Wait until you are old enough to be their father.

Apr 14 06 03:18 pm Link

Model

Claudia Brunni

Dublin, California, US

To Gregory Garecky Photographer'
You had just said everything I belive in and I wanted to say. I admire your honesty and the carefully chosen words to this comment. I can tell that you are a true professional. way to go and keep up the great work.
sincerily
Claudia Brunni(model#52509)

Apr 14 06 03:21 pm Link

Model

Acid-Candy

Jefferson City, Missouri, US

FabioTovar wrote:
Oh man! dont you know anything!

Just come right out and say..

NICE RACK!

Geezzzzz!

LOL hey baby.. was your daddy a baker? cuz you've got some nice buns *wink*

Apr 14 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

Acid-Candy wrote:

LOL hey baby.. was your daddy a baker? cuz you've got some nice buns *wink*

HAHHAHA good one

Apr 14 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

Claudia Brunni wrote:
To Gregory Garecky Photographer'
You had just said everything I belive in and I wanted to say. I admire your honesty and the carefully chosen words to this comment. I can tell that you are a true professional. way to go and keep up the great work.
sincerily
Claudia Brunni(model#52509)

Thank you!

Apr 14 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

That's why I want that damn time machine.  Minus five minutes, re-phrase untill it somehow comes out right. Chalk one up, move on.

Apr 14 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Women appreciate honesty.  So, stand in front of a mirror and practice looking honest.

Apr 15 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

MarkMarek wrote:

And if you're on MM you had better have an American Express with no spending limit.

Apr 15 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Lapis wrote:

Actually I deal with this too. Giving a female model a compliment without being too personal or making them think your hitting on them.

I guess all you can do is know yourself before you post a compliment that your not hitting on them and just read what your about to say before posting and if it comes across as to personal then change the words.

You can also tell in some people's comments if there hitting on a girl from what they say. Just read it carefully and see what feelings you get from what has been said and from what your about to say yourself.

Then you will know.

Mark

Apr 15 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Raven Photography

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Vivus Denuo wrote:
Women appreciate honesty.  So, stand in front of a mirror and practice looking honest.

Yes honesty is very important. I sincerely cant give any kind of compliment unless its truly what I think and feel from a photo.

Apr 15 06 12:27 am Link