Forums > General Industry > Are thongs a requirements for thick girls?

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm new to modeling, but I find myself fighting with photogs/mags daily about why i don't want to wear thongs in my pics. Is this a requirement now? What's really going  on?

Apr 07 06 09:42 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Silver Spring, Maryland, US

Its the thing about ASS...If you bave a nice body and an ass thats all they wanna see.,...

You can get around this and try getting panties that look like thongs but arent really the case..i.e brazillian panties i think they are called...

But dont shoot in thongs if you dont want to...I think they they expose to much and dont leave much to the imagiination...but If I had a pic of me in a blk thong i took it was done very tastfully, cuz i refuse to bend ova in a thong and have my goodies out...smile

but its all about what sells, what people wanna really see.. Later on down the road you might have to execpt the fact that if glamour modeling is some of what your going to get into ...you can take too much personally and usually have to go with the flow not unless you feel like some shoot ideas are offensive to you...then dont go with it..but its all about the paper...smile

Apr 07 06 09:45 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

DAMN Double Post

Apr 07 06 09:45 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

grumble. I know it's about the paper, but damn can't I have some modesty? I mean with 36dd, 28 waist and 45 hips, i don't want to make a career out of wearing thongs and that's what i fear will happen with my measurements along with the fact it makes me uncomfortable.

Apr 07 06 10:20 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

dee740 wrote:
grumble. I know it's about the paper, but damn can't I have some modesty? I mean with 36dd, 28 waist and 45 hips, i don't want to make a career out of wearing thongs and that's what i fear will happen with my measurements along with the fact it makes me uncomfortable.

Well... in that case, don't deal with men's magazines who just wanna see your booty... get in touch with Essence, Black Women Today or Black Entrepreneur and don a business suit and talk about your education and how you plan to make a difference in the community...

... either that... or it's the thong... wink

Apr 07 06 10:27 am Link

Model

~*Isabel Aurora*~

Boca del Mar, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

Well... in that case, don't deal with men's magazines who just wanna see your booty... get in touch with Essence, Black Women Today or Black Entrepreneur and don a business suit and talk about your education and how you plan to make a difference in the community...

ditto

i don't understand why people think that everyone just wants them to do sexy pictures...i RARELY get inquiries for those..i mean, it does and has happened, but i've put myself out there for the kinds of things I want to do and that's the kind of stuff I do and get offers for....

on the other hand....now that i've been doing this for a little while and i'm more comfortable with myself, i think i may do a couple of thing shots wink

Apr 07 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

CrazyIsabelAurora wrote:
on the other hand....now that i've been doing this for a little while and i'm more comfortable with myself, i think i may do a couple of thing shots wink

Well... when those shots are ready, I'll take a look at your thing... big_smile

Apr 07 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

dee740 wrote:
Are thongs a requirements for thick girls?

I hope not...

Apr 07 06 10:42 am Link

Model

erin elizabeth

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada

You should all be modelling for categories that YOU want to model for.

I've cut out glamour and fashion and focused on artistic modelling. I feel so much better and the end results are so much more fulfilling smile

Apr 07 06 10:47 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

area291 wrote:

I hope not...

I hope you were being funny...some people dont wanna see skinny bony females in thongs all the time..I know they have cute asses...but people have preferences smile...thongs werent made for just small women

I mean I am trying all venues of modeling I know I can do. Fashion, Commerical, Glamour, and Editorial...Different lines along the Fashion route...cause I have come to realize that I might not be that cut out for runway but time will tell..

But you have to go where you flow...and if you dont wanna do the sexy magazines..dont because best believe that is what they are gonna  try to get you into...just gracefully decline that your not interested and keep doing your fashion thing... YOUR PORT LOOKS GOOD smile

Apr 07 06 10:47 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I agree with Udo here. If you don't want to be shooting in thongs, then work with the photographers who will respect that. If a photographer asks you to shoot with him, and wants to do strictly glamour, then you can almost be that it will be a request to shoot booty-mag style shots. Let everyone know upfront what your limitations are, and if they can't respect that, then they aren't worth working with, then are they?

If you do decide to do a few shoots where you don a thong or something of the such, then that should be YOUR choice, and not the photographers!

Apr 07 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

milesaway wrote:
You should all be modelling for categories that YOU want to model for.

That's an advise that so many 5'4" models follow and they try to become supermodels on the runway and throw tamper tantrums on the web, because the runway industry is soooo unfair.

Apr 07 06 10:51 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

UdoR wrote:

That's an advise that so many 5'4" models follow and they try to become supermodels on the runway and throw tamper tantrums on the web, because the runway industry is soooo unfair.

you and your fetish with short girls Udo...I always notice that you post on the short girl threads! I am so glad I am an art model. Forget about the thong, I just give them the booty! But I think that artistic nudes *can* be a lot classier than thong pictures.

Apr 07 06 10:55 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Lapis wrote:

you and your fetish with short girls Udo...I always notice that you post on the short girl threads! I am so glad I am an art model. Forget about the thong, I just give them the booty! But I think that artistic nudes *can* be a lot classier than thong pictures.

yea depending on how the photographer wants to depict you
a lot of them want you to bend ova right in front of the camera in a thing..u mind as well be buck naked and do that....theres a difference between a classy thong shot and somthing raunchy ...i dont wanna see the upside of your chocha

Apr 07 06 10:58 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Maybe it's best for me to cut glamour out altogether. I have a momma and morals. :-) I just am not gonna do it. I would do a thong shot from the side or whatever, but never dead on like that. It's just too much for me.

Apr 07 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

area291 wrote:

I hope not...

Yeah, you've gotta be kiddin me. Big butts are in right now!

Apr 07 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Carina Comeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

There's always bootyshorts...? (Botty riders...hahaha)

Apr 07 06 11:07 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

Carina Comeau wrote:
There's always bootyshorts...? (Botty riders...hahaha)

I love boy shorts that all i invest my money in...i have ones that have seasame street on them
smile

Apr 07 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Powell Ful Creations

Buffalo, New York, US

dee740 wrote:
Maybe it's best for me to cut glamour out altogether. I have a momma and morals. :-) I just am not gonna do it. I would do a thong shot from the side or whatever, but never dead on like that. It's just too much for me.

You can still be sexy without showing the "BOOTY"  I perfer to leave more to the imagination with my shots.  You don't have to let it all hang out.  A good photographer can capture your sexyness without the "In your Face" booty shot.

Just find a photographer that respects your morals.

Keep up the good work!

Apr 07 06 11:17 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Lapis wrote:

Yeah... it's a pet pieve of mine... big_smile

I like thongs, I like shapely gal's and any photo, that is classy...

Apr 07 06 11:21 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

CristinaLex wrote:

I love boy shorts that all i invest my money in...i have ones that have seasame street on them
smile

I love boyshorts, too. They are cute, comfy, and don't "ride" like a thong. If I am gonna be wearing a thong, I might as well be going full throttle, and be nude. Like Lapis said, nudity can be good, too. If it's done tastefully....or if you want to look trashy, there are ways to make that even look good...just not sure if someone of my size would look good pulling that off.

Apr 07 06 11:21 am Link

Model

CristinaLex

BeccaNDSouth wrote:

I love boyshorts, too. They are cute, comfy, and don't "ride" like a thong. If I am gonna be wearing a thong, I might as well be going full throttle, and be nude. Like Lapis said, nudity can be good, too. If it's done tastefully....or if you want to look trashy, there are ways to make that even look good...just not sure if someone of my size would look good pulling that off.

u shouldnt be like tht ...lol....i believe it can be done smile

Apr 07 06 11:26 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

dee740 wrote:

Yeah, you've gotta be kiddin me. Big butts are in right now!

Well... there are varying definition on what a "big butt" is...

Every checked http://www.assmatrix.com Warning: Adult Material!

Apr 07 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

dee740 wrote:
Are thongs a requirements for thick girls?

Only if speedos are a requirement for thick guys... 

big_smile

Apr 07 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

dee740 wrote:
I'm new to modeling, but I find myself fighting with photogs/mags daily about why i don't want to wear thongs in my pics. Is this a requirement now? What's really going  on?

Plus girls should never wear panties. I thought that Bush got a law passed against all pantie wearing ????  smile

PS:  I love your look.

Apr 07 06 11:31 am Link

Model

Carina Comeau

Ajax, Ontario, Canada

CristinaLex wrote:

smile

lol..thats all I wear too..they're hot, yet they still leave the rest to the imagination.

Apr 07 06 11:34 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

UdoR wrote:

Well... there are varying definition on what a "big butt" is...

you're right about that. the 'standard" modeling world definitely has different views on what is big than magazines like Black Men, XXl, etc. Those mags mean big for real.

Apr 07 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

If you can't find the string you are too big for thongs!

Apr 07 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

If she is a sistah and you can see the string from TOP to the BOTTOM then something is wrong.  LOL.

Apr 08 06 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Tommy Mc Photography

Carson, California, US

dee740 wrote:

You would look damn good in a thong, that is why they are asking.  No harm in asking is there?

Apr 08 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Depends on what you're trying to do in modeling.

If you WANT to be in the urban men's mag market, the XXL, the KING, the Smooth mags, then as an unestablished model with no star power to neagte any demands that they put on you then I would say YES.

Not only that but implied topless and sometimes implied nudes as well.  it would be expected of you.  Almost required.  Pick up any random issue of these mags and you'll see it strewn all about.  If that's a market you'd like to be in than that's a style of photography it'd be best to make yourself comfortable with.  If you can't make yourself comfortable with it than as previous posters have said, explore other avenues.

Know your market, know what's expected.  If you don't want to do it don't.  it's ultimately YOUR choice and you have to deal with the reprocussions  of any choice you make, good or bad.

Apr 08 06 02:36 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Dara,

I think you are talking to the wrong type of photographer for what you want to shoot.

Now, I LOVES me a nice round ass.

HOWEVER, I'm not going to make that the focus of my photographs. You can show ass without exploiting it. Not all photographers do that, or even WANT to do that, they just want to turn you over, bend you over a couch, and shoot.

(That didn't come out right, did it?) LOL

Seriously, though. YOU pick the photographers you want to shoot with, and base it on the photos they have in their ports.

The pics won't be as popular with a lot of the fellas, but they will be nice, tasteful, and will keep your mama from calling you after seeing your ass in a magazine spread, only recognizing you because of a mole on the back of your shoulder. LOL

Apr 08 06 08:57 am Link

Model

iceblueeyedgirl

Clearwater, Florida, US

UdoR wrote:

Actually this is incorrect.    You can have classy or tasteful pictures which are NOT dictated by the photographer OR the industry.   You make the rules on what you will or won't do.  Don't let anyone discourage you.

Apr 08 06 09:12 am Link

Model

iceblueeyedgirl

Clearwater, Florida, US

VRG Photography wrote:
Dara,

I think you are talking to the wrong type of photographer for what you want to shoot.

Now, I LOVES me a nice round ass.

HOWEVER, I'm not going to make that the focus of my photographs. You can show ass without exploiting it. Not all photographers do that, or even WANT to do that, they just want to turn you over, bend you over a couch, and shoot.

(That didn't come out right, did it?) LOL

Seriously, though. YOU pick the photographers you want to shoot with, and base it on the photos they have in their ports.

The pics won't be as popular with a lot of the fellas, but they will be nice, tasteful, and will keep your mama from calling you after seeing your ass in a magazine spread, only recognizing you because of a mole on the back of your shoulder. LOL

The pics may not be popular with voyeurs or perverts, but you will gain much more respect when you stick to your values.    Sex only sells for so long and it sells too quickly.  Sensuality is much more tasteful and will keep your career going.

Apr 08 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

iceblueeyedgirl wrote:

The pics may not be popular with voyeurs or perverts, but you will gain much more respect when you stick to your values.    Sex only sells for so long and it sells too quickly.  Sensuality is much more tasteful and will keep your career going.

Thanks.

That's EXACTLY my point.

Apr 08 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

At the risk of sounding like a clueless fool, perhaps nobody wants to see panty lines under your clothes? Thong underwear is kinda de rigeur for a lot of non-glam modelling. (Perhaps I shouldn't mention that a lot of fashion models are commonly asked to go commando--by the typically female or gay male stylist--depending on the material of the garment.)

But of course I don't know your situation, and I wasn't clear on whether or not everybody's asking you to wear thong bikinis or panties to shoot your booty in. But perhaps others who've never heard of this situation will begin to understand. As a general rule, even when modelling all but the heaviest clothes, models should most often be wearing thongs as opposed to the full back underwear. Just get used to wearing them to your shoots...

Apr 08 06 09:38 am Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a clueless fool, perhaps nobody wants to see panty lines under your clothes? Thong underwear is kinda de rigeur for a lot of non-glam modelling. (Perhaps I shouldn't mention that a lot of fashion models are commonly asked to go commando--by the typically female or gay male stylist--depending on the material of the garment.)

But of course I don't know your situation, and I wasn't clear on whether or not everybody's asking you to wear thong bikinis or panties to shoot your booty in. But perhaps others who've never heard of this situation will begin to understand. As a general rule, even when modelling all but the heaviest clothes, models should most often be wearing thongs as opposed to the full back underwear. Just get used to wearing them to your shoots...

Ok, in a lot of magazines and calendars featuring black women, the patrons want to see women in thongs. Especially thick ones. This is apparently a must. I would definitely not start a thread about how uncomfortable thongs were under my clothes. They want to see the thong full on instead of boyshorts and other things of the like. I was test shooting for a photog that  shoots for JET and even he was trying to say that he would focus his career on wearing thongs and lingerie if he were me!!

Apr 08 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I get what you're saying and I understand your concerns. Half the reason I threw that out there is because I've been asked that question by newbie models not doing glamour before.

Apr 08 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

If  you have to search for the string with two hands, you ass is  too big for a thong!

Apr 08 06 10:35 am Link

Model

keyajd

Atlanta, Georgia, US

HI Dee...I know I may be coming into this conversation late but...I struggle with the same situation.  I can not say that I get hundreds of requests to don thongs...in my port I am covered in all of my images.  I sometimes feel that if I do go into the glamour route that I may recieve more "play".  However, I also notice that I get a certain amount of "respect" after one views my images ...maybe b'cause I don't have butt plastered all over my port.  Don't get me wrong...I would like to experience making images that are "seductive" and eyecatching...I would just like to have a photographer that understands where I am coming from and that will present me in the "right" way.....I am also a firm believer that you can be clothed and sexy as hell at the same time...

Apr 08 06 10:50 am Link