Forums > General Industry > Are thongs a requirements for thick girls?

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

keyajd wrote:
HI Dee...I know I may be coming into this conversation late but...I struggle with the same situation.  I can not say that I get hundreds of requests to don thongs...in my port I am covered in all of my images.  I sometimes feel that if I do go into the glamour route that I may recieve more "play".  However, I also notice that I get a certain amount of "respect" after one views my images ...maybe b'cause I don't have butt plastered all over my port.  Don't get me wrong...I would like to experience making images that are "seductive" and eyecatching...I would just like to have a photographer that understands where I am coming from and that will present me in the "right" way.....I am also a firm believer that you can be clothed and sexy as hell at the same time...

I wish other people thought like you!

Apr 08 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Indochine

Los Angeles, California, US

Ah, this topic reminds me of the old days. Just 10 years ago it was damn near impossible to get any black woman to take a shot from behind in a bikini, much less a full on thong. Then came J Lo...and Melyssa Ford...and Buffie. Now every black model is expected to wear a thong. I can only say a couple things on this:

1. Don't take pictures you aren't comfortable with. It will show and the pictures will suffer;

However...

2. Play to your strengths. I don't know why, but skinny girls always want to wear thongs and curvy girls don't. Find a way to please your audience without compromising your values, but don't waste time trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

3. Try to resist having a knee-jerk adverse reaction every time you hear the word "thong." There may be a photographer out there that can really do something tasteful and sexy with you in one, but if you put up your defenses every time someone suggests it, you could rule out working with some talented people who could enhance your portfolio.

That's my two cents.

Apr 09 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Scaramanga wrote:
Ah, this topic reminds me of the old days. Just 10 years ago it was damn near impossible to get any black woman to take a shot from behind in a bikini, much less a full on thong. Then came J Lo...and Melyssa Ford...and Buffie. Now every black model is expected to wear a thong.

Ain't that the truth.

BTW, you had some other great points, as well. This part kinda took me back.

Apr 09 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

CristinaLex wrote:
I love boy shorts that all i invest my money in...i have ones that have seasame street on them
smile

BeccaNDSouth wrote:
I love boyshorts, too. They are cute, comfy, and don't "ride" like a thong.

Why are they called "boy shorts" ? I don't wanna see boys in them.

Apr 09 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Tony Culture Photoz wrote:

CristinaLex wrote:
I love boy shorts that all i invest my money in...i have ones that have seasame street on them
smile

Why are they called "boy shorts" ? I don't wanna see boys in them.

That's a good thing to know. lol

Happy Sunday, Tony!

Apr 09 06 10:55 am Link

Photographer

Indochine

Los Angeles, California, US

VRG Photography wrote:

Ain't that the truth.

BTW, you had some other great points, as well. This part kinda took me back.

Thanks. Too bad the OP didn't come back and comment. I think she was just looking for people to say, "just don't wear them, buck the system girl!" It's just not that black and white.

Apr 09 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Scaramanga wrote:

Thanks. Too bad the OP didn't come back and comment. I think she was just looking for people to say, "just don't wear them, buck the system girl!" It's just not that black and white.

Ha squared!

Apr 09 06 02:38 pm Link

Model

Dara_w

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I wasn't looking for anyone to say anything in particular. Hell, I really wanted to know the answer. But  I have decided thongs are not for me. I realize that no matter what, when you put a girl with 45 in hips and ass in a thong, the black glamour community is going to want you to keep doing that and I don't want to be stuck with that burden. Plus, I hear there isn't any money in it anyway.

Apr 15 06 11:01 pm Link