Forums > General Industry > WHY...WHY Oh Why....Post our real age...geeeeeesh

Photographer

Vance C McDaniel

Los Angeles, California, US

Why do SOME models post fake ages?

I mean really, if you are 38 say you are 38.....

Dont say you are 24. think about it..If you say you are 24 and you are 38 all I am going to say is DAMN youlook old for 24. Instead of, Awesome, you look great at 38, you have really taken care of yourself.

I think you loses more jobs that way..

Shrug...short rant...

V

Apr 05 06 08:04 am Link

Model

Joycelynn K

Detroit, Michigan, US

ok you caught me...I'm damn near 45

Apr 05 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I wouldn't mind age and weight to be totally deleted from profiles.  Those don't matter.  What matters are look and measurements. 

The only age that matters is 18, and that can be a simple Over/Under marker.

But I'm realistic and I know that won't happen.

Apr 05 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I wouldn't mind age and weight to be totally deleted from profiles.  Those don't matter.  What matters are look and measurements. 

Height is important, and therefore weight is important, because the height to weight ratio is important.  Age should not be important, but I know models who shave off a few years on their profiles.  I don't mind that.  In a visual medium, it's looks that matter, not the age number.

Apr 05 06 08:36 am Link

Photographer

J Welborn

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

The ones that bother me are the kids who are 14 and say they are 16 and shoot like they are 24.

Oh course it take a rather stupid photographer to do the shoot but I saw it just last week .

Apr 05 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

William Coleman wrote:

Height is important, and therefore weight is important, because the height to weight ratio is important.

Weight isn't important; volume is important--and that's much less important than proportion.  Muscle is denser than fat, so two people of the same weight can have very different sizes and shapes.  Measurements indicate this while weight does not.

Apr 05 06 08:40 am Link

Photographer

Ken Long

MCALLEN, Texas, US

Oh yeah, "But officer, she looked over 18..... isn't that what matters?"   Try and say a real age isn't important...   

For different photographers, people need different baselines to go off of. 
For some, age.  Others, height/weight.  Others, a certain body type (athletic, very slim, plus, etc...)

The big problem is, with just entering stuff online, everyone can lie about it.  Whether it is age, height, weight, hair color, it doesn't matter.  Until you actually meet face to face, you will never know the truth.  I think we all know that photos can "lie" about a person and only show what is wanted to be seen.  Throw in someone skilled in photoshop, and wow.  We all  know how much looks/images can change with that little program. 

Simply put, the original poster was right.  Until people tell the truth about things, what good is it all?  And I'm not talking a model posting her weight as 125 when she's actually 127... oh no!  Saying they are 18 or 19 when they are 15 or 16...... That stuff needs to stop. 

Be honest people!

Apr 05 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

William Coleman

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Weight isn't important; volume is important--and that's much less important than proportion.  Muscle is denser than fat, so two people of the same weight can have very different sizes and shapes.  Measurements indicate this while weight does not.

True, height and weight are not definitive, and measurements are better, usually.  But bust/waist/hip measurements won't tell you how long someone's legs or torso are.  Height is a better gauge of that.  And if I know height, I want to know weight.  Overall, the more info the better.

Apr 05 06 08:56 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Alright ya got me..I'm 22. Now can people stop thinking I have a fake I.D!

Apr 05 06 09:03 am Link

Model

Modell T

San Diego, California, US

I really am 42...and color the gray hair to prove it!

Apr 05 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Brian, I agree.  However, I still want to see weight (as well as stats) on profiles.

The problem is that girls don't know their stats.  Many of them guess, others measure but measure in the wrong places.  Hips measurements are the worst - it's not unusual for someone to be five inches off in their measurement because they measured too high.  For that reason I want weight as well - as  a "sanity check" to see if what I know about height/weight makes sense against the claimed stats.

On the other hand, if the stats are from an agency that knows how to measure models, I don't need weight.  Either the stats are correct, or the agency is sophisticated enough to lie about both stats and weight in a way that makes sense.

Apr 05 06 09:12 am Link

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

I am 39 - I post 39 and I get turned down all the time because I am 39 oh well such is life and modeling......

Personally I do not think I look 39 but it is what it is.......

Hire me anyway give us MATURE models a chance lol

Apr 05 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Measurements???  I have to laugh.. I have seen some models here on MM.. 5'8" tall.. and measurements of 34 - 10 - 10..  yeah right...

It isnt the age that they dont tell the truth about.. some models cant even give their correct measurements.

Apr 05 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

StaciF wrote:
I am 39 - I post 39 and I get turned down all the time because I am 39 oh well such is life and modeling......

I prefer "Mature" models.. but most are either too far away, to expensive for me to pay them and wont do TFP/TFCD, or dont like my work enough to work with me..

Apr 05 06 10:23 am Link

Model

luv2bfitt

Merrimack, New Hampshire, US

StaciF wrote:

Yeah it's funny, when I first joined that O ther M odeling P lace, I accidently put 25 instead of 35, and was getting all these responses. When I noticed the typo and corrected it, response has tapered off....

Apr 05 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

StaciF wrote:

Holy crap!!
You're 39!

You must've discovered my secret (drinking fresh blood from a virgin)

I'm 47 and my pics are recent and unretouched. When I hit 30 the model offers quit coming in even though I coulda passed for 23 easily. Cest la vie

Apr 05 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

I am 38 but put 33 for search reasons. I tell all photographers that contact me upfront I am 38. No one does a search passed 35 and I do look younger than 38.

That's why.

Apr 05 06 10:44 am Link

Model

Inamourada Flux

Cheshunt, England, United Kingdom

What are you guys on about? Of course age is important! I'm sure no photographer wants to go down for shooting nude pics of under 18s, eh? And maybe some photographers are looking for talent of a certain age.

Btw, I'm 99.

Apr 05 06 10:54 am Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I post my real age, but I actually am told I look younger than what I am. I feel that we should be able to put an age range function on here, as long as the person is 18 or over. Maybe there should be something at sign-up where we can definitely prove our age. I don't know.

Apr 05 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

ReallyRandy

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Yea, an age range that you can emulate. Thats a brilliant idea! I could never pass for my real age anyway.

Apr 05 06 12:06 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

ReallyRandy wrote:
Yea, an age range that you can emulate. Thats a brilliant idea! I could never pass for my real age anyway.

Neither can I. That's why I always get carded! No one would probably be able to guess that I'm going to be 28 this August...

Apr 05 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been doing this for a very long time.  Never, not once, has a model confided that she thinks she looks older than she really is.

Give some thought to the reason for that.

Apr 05 06 12:09 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

This is an industry of LIES; so stop the %^%$ complaining

Weight: LIE
Height: LIE
Experience:LIE
Looks: the big PHOTOSHOP LIE
Talent: LIE

If you treat the industry as you treat politiicians you will be at ease!

Apr 05 06 12:23 pm Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I had to actually put "I really am 18." in my profile.

Because I really am ONLY 18,but some photographers were being iffy and saying I looked alot younger,and it was "suspicious."

So I guess you have to watch out for younger girls trying to bounce up thier age also.

Apr 05 06 12:29 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

I'm 15...

so what

smile

Apr 05 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

StaciF wrote:

Really? Thats not fair. Don't worry, you're pics look great. That is all that should matter

Apr 05 06 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Age does matter in nude work. Skin ages and models that are 18 to 20 have skin that does not fold or wrinkle as easy as older skin does.

I think age and honest stats do matter. If a model shows up for a shoot with me, I am going to check her ID.

Apr 05 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Angie Borras

Kissimmee, Florida, US

Well I am 19  and the photographers never really believe me they  say I look like I am 14 when they see me in person. They always ask me for I.D. with that suspicious look in their face and I'm like do you want to see birth certificate now. lol

Apr 05 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

this industry is based on youth - when you are no longer young they will dust your ass!
sports is based on speed and strength - when you are no longer fast they will dust your ass !

coming to a youth based industry and complaining about age is unwise.
coming into the NFL and complaining about your lack of speed is unwise

All the 19 years old models will be thirty  SOON!
All the running backs will slow down SOON!

running backs have a 5 year life span in the NFL!
what is the life span of a 19 year old model?

Apr 05 06 02:20 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Personally, I don't see what the obssession with age is all about.

As long as you know whether someone is 18+ or not, who cares?  You should be able to look at recent photos to determine whether or not you think the model is going to work for your project (or, I dunno... meet in person?!) rather than base assumptions on a number on a webpage.

I'm always asking people if they check references before working with someone.  Most say no (wtf?).  If a model is much older looking in person than the photos in his/her portfolio reflect, that sort of thing is super easy to find out IF you do a bit of asking around.

An airport security guard tried to kick my guy and I out of the drinking+gambling area next to our gate because he did not believe we were over 21.  Seattle people get less sun... less sun = less skin damage = younger appearance.  I'd rather be judged solely on my looks when being considered for a shoot than --like I said-- a number on a webpage somewhere.

Apr 05 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

michaelrowe photography

Los Angeles, California, US

i am soooo  16

Apr 05 06 02:51 pm Link

Photographer

s. jenx

Morton, Pennsylvania, US

totally agree josie...I usually don't ask unless they look far to close to 18...then again I don't usually work with younger models...

Apr 05 06 02:51 pm Link

Model

Naomi Jay

New York, New York, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
All the 19 years old models will be thirty  SOON!

Good...they can start commercial modeling and make more money.

Apr 05 06 02:52 pm Link

Model

Peggy

Cranston, Rhode Island, US

Marvin Dockery wrote:

Age does matter in nude work. Skin ages and models that are 18 to 20 have skin that does not fold or wrinkle as easy as older skin does.

I think age and honest stats do matter. If a model shows up for a shoot with me, I am going to check her ID.

Well I have a friend in her very early 20's with wrinkles, folds and alligator skin from living in the sun.  What good will it do to check the ID first??  She could be 20 with old looking skin from sun damage. Sun damaged skin ages fast so it's rather silly to generalize by age. It depends on good genes too. Stop looking at the numbers, just look at the model.  Meet in person if your hesitant.

Apr 05 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

tyat

Miami, Florida, US

I thought you were talking about those that say "109 years old" on their profiles.

Apr 05 06 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

of the large number of models i know and have worked with from gm, m/m,

Apr 05 06 03:14 pm Link

Model

Edyn

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

I tell ya what...I'll be 30 in a few weeks and I'm seriously considering lying about my age.  Maybe even a couple more years and here's why...if I'm doing commercial work, I can't do "professional" or even "soccer mom" shots because I look too young.  If I want to be considered for twenty something shots, I would be overlooked in a search because my age reflects that I'm too old.  So when an age range is not an option, be warned, I'm gonna lie. Its either that or never find work.  My pictures are posted so I'm not hiding what I look like, just tweeking a number so I'm not overlooked for jobs I would be perfect for.

Apr 05 06 03:47 pm Link

Model

jon horsethief

Philadelphia, Mississippi, US

nobody believes i'm 30, but i guess i'm better off being honest about it anyway.
besides, if i lied, all those stories i'm always telling about my past would be a dead giveaway.
"so five years ago..."
"wait, you mean when you were 19??"
"uh... nevermind"

Apr 05 06 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Not true.  Photoshop can get rid of those signs of age, making the numerical value more important. 

But, I agree that the over 18 part is most important.  I'd be willing to give up knowing their age thing if I could just know how far past 18 they are.  neutral

Apr 05 06 09:41 pm Link

Photographer

SunSplash Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Product sold by weight, not volume.  Some settling of content may occur during shipment.

Apr 05 06 09:43 pm Link