Forums > General Industry > Lighting versus "an EYE"

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

I was wodering what the general consensus was on what people in the business (models and photographers) thought was better.  A photographer who has good/great lighting skills OR a photographer who has a good/great "eye".  Which one has better pictures???? (obviously the photographer that has both is "the man" ot "the woman". But taking each  piece separately,  who is better?

Mar 31 06 08:50 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Eye, every single time. That's always the most effective, effecting image.

Lighting and technique has its purpose (especially if the image is to be primarily illustrative), but if the goal is truly effective imagery, the eye wins out over the technician each and every time.

Mar 31 06 08:52 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Eye, every single time. That's always the most effective, effecting image.

Lighting and technique has its purpose (especially if the image is to be primarily illustrative), but if the goal is truly effective imagery, the eye wins out over the technician each and every time.

The masters, such as Irving Penn, would argue this point with you. You can't really be effective without both.

Mar 31 06 08:56 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Both is right.

You can have a wonderful eye for composition, but unless you can light your subject no one will ever see it. I consider my lighting techniques to be part of my inner "eye".  Many might think of an "eye" as simply what you see, compositionally. My "eye" comprises both an inner and outer vision.

I put the subject on the set, look at the composition, close my eyes, imagine the light that needs to be there and then place the light where it needs to be. Composition, form, posing and line complete my vision.

That being said, I certainly do acknowledge that when one is shooting without studio lighting, you won't get excellent images with ambient light unless you can see. Similarly, someone can have great lighting technique but have no clue how to compose.

I would never choose one over another and will never have to. As you were relating this to "the business", one would be best served by being a complete image maker.

Mar 31 06 09:04 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
The masters, such as Irving Penn, would argue this point with you. You can't really be effective without both.

Well I think you can be effective without both. The point was to see which was better.  What if you are outside, in sunlight and there is nothing special you do, no added light... then you can still come out with a killer image, if you have an eye.

Mar 31 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Vegas Alien wrote:
Both is right.

You can have a wonderful eye for composition, but unless you can light your subject no one will ever see it. I consider my lighting techniques to be part of my inner "eye".  Many might think of an "eye" as simply what you see, compositionally. My "eye" comprises both an inner and outer vision.

I put the subject on the set, look at the composition, close my eyes, imagine the light that needs to be there and then place the light where it needs to be. Composition, form, posing and line complete my vision.

I think the element of technique comprises much more than simply lighting a subject. Visualizing the final image in your minds eye plays a huge part, but understanding all the elements necessary to complete the image also play a huge part. Not everyone uses synthetic lighting in capturing an image but they still need all the other elements to make the image a success.

Mar 31 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

Stephen Dawson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Torrence Williams wrote:
I was wodering what the general consensus was on what people in the business (models and photographers) thought was better.  A photographer who has good/great lighting skills OR a photographer who has a good/great "eye".  Which one has better pictures???? (obviously the photographer that has both is "the man" ot "the woman". But taking each  piece separately,  who is better?

The more I learn about light.... the more experience I have with light... the better my Eye becomes. smile

The less time I spend thinking about light, the better. There is more time for the creative.

Mar 31 06 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Thos Damn Yankees

Absolutely BOTH!

Mar 31 06 09:14 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

I think the element of technique comprises much more than simply lighting a subject. Visualizing the final image in your minds eye plays a huge part, but understanding all the elements necessary to complete the image also play a huge part. Not everyone uses synthetic lighting in capturing an image but they still need all the other elements to make the image a success.

I was pretty much saying the same thing. Read what I wrote:

I consider my lighting techniques to be part of my inner "eye".  Many might think of an "eye" as simply what you see, compositionally. My "eye" comprises both an inner and outer vision..

...Composition, form, posing and line complete my vision.

Mar 31 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

The eye.  No question.

I don't know how many times I've seen the alleged "rules" of lighting broken and abused to incredible effect.  What one person feels is the proper way to light something depends entirely upon his or her eye for composition anyway.  While I think that the two are very intimately connected to one another, I truly feel that without the eye for composition, lighting is meaningless. 

Lighting can be taught or learned.  "The Eye" can't...

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Irving Penn was a master from a certain point of view. There were many many others. Penn's work is brilliant, and wonderful, and as limited as great work can possibly be. Trying to follow in Penn's footsteps is near-certain disaster.

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

the only people who enjoy looking at pictures of lighting are other photographers, and who gives a crap what they think.

Mar 31 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

I like to think I have an eye for this while having a very limited ability with lighting.

Mar 31 06 09:29 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

Irving Penn was a master from a certain point of view. There were many many others. Penn's work is brilliant, and wonderful, and as limited as great work can possibly be. Trying to follow in Penn's footsteps is near-certain disaster.

In my original statement I used the word "masters", a plural implying others. I only used Penn as an example. Not following in a masters footsteps for at least part of the journey will more than likely make the effort a failure.

Mar 31 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

And I know other masters personally who disagree with this statement.

Do not take me wrong. I have little patience for photographers who think there's an easy way to greatness. And every photographer that aspires to greatness should learn technique, it's liberating. But this emphasis on technique first I very strongly feel is patently wrong. And I know masters in person who feel that as well.

Mar 31 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Torrence Williams wrote:
A photographer who has good/great lighting skills OR a photographer who has a good/great "eye".

They're all part of the same thing.

What you're talking about is where someone falls on the continuum between strategy and tactics. When you master either you realize that they're connected and, in order to master either, you wind up mastering both. Or neither. There is no such thing as "intuitive excellence" - it's simply "excellence" that has trained to the point where a huge number of complex decisions are being made below the level of consciousness.*

mjr.
(* edit: if you don't believe me, and you know how to drive a car with a manual transmission - try driving as hard and fast as you can while PAYING ATTENTION to your gear shifting. You'll either crash or do better than you ever have before)

Mar 31 06 09:34 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

What you're talking about is where someone falls on the continuum between strategy and tactics. When you master either you realize that they're connected and, in order to master either, you wind up mastering both. Or neither. There is no such thing as "intuitive excellence" - it's simply "excellence" that has trained to the point where a huge number of complex decisions are being made below the level of consciousness.

mjr.

amen
again, succinct almost to daoism

Mar 31 06 09:38 am Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

And I know other masters personally who disagree with this statement.

Do not take me wrong. I have little patience for photographers who think there's an easy way to greatness. And every photographer that aspires to greatness should learn technique, it's liberating. But this emphasis on technique first I very strongly feel is patently wrong. And I know masters in person who feel that as well.

I suggested in my first post that both were required. Catalog studios depend heavily on technique while photojournalists depend heavily on their eye. Some are able to combine the two.

Mar 31 06 09:44 am Link

Model

SithVixen

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

Wow that's a hard subjective question.  Both weigh so heavily on a picture that it's hard to choose just one. 

I think I have a great eye for photography, but some of my coolest shots have been ruined because I did not factor lighting into them. 

In other shots, the lighting has been fine and I've ruined it by not taking the time to sit and compose my shot or consider any of the elements in it.  I might as well have used a point and shoot camera.

Having only one or the other means that a lot of your great shots will be complete flukes!

Though to be honest, there is no really true wrong way to compose/eye a picture.  What one person thinks is great someone else will hate.  Eye is very subjective and there are only a few definite ways to ruin it.  (Bad framing, poles/trees coming out of heads, etc)

Lighting is far more picky.  You can play with it in different ways but there are far more ways to ruin a photo with bad lighting than with composition.  At least in my experience.

I would definitely agree that having both is the only true way to greatness.

Mar 31 06 09:50 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

But this emphasis on technique first I very strongly feel is patently wrong. And I know masters in person who feel that as well.

I've observed a lot of master craftsmen at various crafts (ranging from saddle-making, photography, computer programming, computer networking, and woodwork) and the way I've conceptualized it is that there are 3 legs to the process of mastering someting:
- book learning and study (theory)
- experimentation and technical study (technique)
- intuition and creativity (eye, flair, what have you)

Now here's what's interesting - I know masters who have started with any one of those, but then they switch back and forth. Maybe you start off by just grabbing a camera and seeing what happens. Then you read a few books. Then you experiment. Then you go back to just seeing what happens. Each different approach feeds the others and makes them more effective when you get around to them. Sometimes you pull back a bloody stump - other times you have a big success. But either way, you learn.

I've found that attacking learning anything by pursuing just one of the 3 approaches is more time consuming and (mentally/physically/financially) expensive. But if you switch around periodically, depending on your personality, you'll just rocket up the power curve.

I've seen people who start off intuitively (or whatever) and get partway to where they want to be using that method, and then they hit a plateau and can't get past it. When I see that, I do what I can to kick them into trying one of the other 2 approaches, to jump-start themselves. So if you've got a photographer who is mired in the zone system mentality and groupe f/64 mindset, whose compositions are spectacular but unemotional: give them a bottle of tequila and a holga. wink  If you've got an artist who creates spectacular intuitive work but doesn't really know what they're doing, get them into a workshop with someone who's technically rigorous, who can give them some intellectual underpinning to their creativity. Etc.

mjr.

Mar 31 06 09:53 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

look at the people photographers who have the most mass appeal and ask yourself into which category they fall.  my favorites generally do not get all masturbatory about lighting at all.  although that in itself is a lighting technique.

the best pic i've ever seen of kate moss was shot by roxanne lowit at a party with an on-camera direct flash.  the worst pics i've seen of her were in a studio, and very skillfully lit. there are a bazillion other good examples. this suggests that the 'eye' is definitely prior to lighting.

Mar 31 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Exactly.

Mar 31 06 09:58 am Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

I choose C) A photographer with good business sense.

I think it's possible to be an average photographer and have a successful business.  While at the same time, there are some great photographers that don't have successful businesses.

Mar 31 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

Deaftone

So much to say, but like others I think an eye is more of a factor.  Lighting is almost equally important, but you can see where people are able to break the rules, or cheat the image with photoshop.  I think the eye separates a GWC and photoshop compared to an actual photographer.

Mar 31 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Jay Bowman wrote:

Sure it can.

Mar 31 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

C'mon guys. A photograph is a lot like a painting. If you have a canvas and paints and a vision of a great painting, that's all well and good. But if you don't have the skills and technique with brush and paint, you are never going to achieve that painting.
Same with photography. I you have in your mind's eye a beautiful image, and you have your model and camera, you still aren't going to have that image if you don't have the skills to light it correctly. That applies just as much outdoors in natural light, since you now have the set and model but no real control of the lighting. Your alternative is to manipulate the set and model so that you make correct use of the sunlight. Don't blieve me? Then next time you are outdoors with a model, put the sun back over your shoulder, have the model squinting into it and fire away. Then look at the trash you have.
Both eye (imagination) and ability to see and understand light are sine qua non.

Mar 31 06 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Deaftone wrote:
So much to say, but like others I think an eye is more of a factor.  Lighting is almost equally important, but you can see where people are able to break the rules, or cheat the image with photoshop.  I think the eye separates a GWC and photoshop compared to an actual photographer.

Wow now this one caught my attention. i believe the eye is a nuatural thing, you have it or you don't.  You can strenghten your vision, but you cannot make yourself see.

Mar 31 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Torrence Williams wrote:
Wow now this one caught my attention. i believe the eye is a nuatural thing, you have it or you don't.  You can strenghten your vision, but you cannot make yourself see.

hmmm....then why does one's work develop over time (hopefully)?  the 'eye' can be learned, it's just harder to learn than lighting.

Mar 31 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

What you're talking about is where someone falls on the continuum between strategy and tactics. When you master either you realize that they're connected and, in order to master either, you wind up mastering both. Or neither. There is no such thing as "intuitive excellence" - it's simply "excellence" that has trained to the point where a huge number of complex decisions are being made below the level of consciousness.*

Very well put sir... This may need to be published.. Great View...

Mar 31 06 11:19 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

hmmm....then why does one's work develop over time (hopefully)?  the 'eye' can be learned, it's just harder to learn than lighting.

I think the difference is more than semantic, but that's the only way I know to express things here.

You can learn lighting.  You can teach lighting.

They eye can't be learned or taught.  It must be developed and nurtured.

It's a much more mysterious process to develop and eye, and it's something that can't be set down as steps in a textbook.

Mar 31 06 12:31 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

I think the difference is more than semantic, but that's the only way I know to express things here.

You can learn lighting.  You can teach lighting.

They eye can't be learned or taught.  It must be developed and nurtured.

It's a much more mysterious process to develop and eye, and it's something that can't be set down as steps in a textbook.

this is about to get very socratic, but can something be learned that cannot be taught?  i would consider 'developing' the 'eye' to be synonymous with learning, but there is no teacher.

Mar 31 06 12:43 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Why would you want to make a choice between having a poorly lit but well composed image, or a well lit but poorly composed one. Personally, I think a "good eye" means seeing both composition and lighting. A good image combines both. For me, composition was the easy part to learn (yes you can learn it), but lighting took a lot of experience to figure out. But I think this debate is mostly semantic, since all you see is light, and all you are composing is light. I think this is really the same old debate on which is more important, creativity or technical skills. I will agree that most people can learn technical skills, and learning to be creative comes easier to some people than others, but technical skills are the tools that creative people use in their work.

Mar 31 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Kennedy

Brampton, Ontario, Canada

Both go hand in hand.

Mar 31 06 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

If you have the eye, good lighting will make the image even better.

If you know your lighting, but don't have the eye, the images will be well lit, but could be very boring, ill composed, didn't catch the moment.

If you have the eye, and the feel for the moment, a badly lit image can still be so much more expressive.

Mar 31 06 02:07 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Honestly, it's not about a choice between well-lit and poorly composed, or well-composed and poorly lit.

By the way, a good eye can see when light is good or not good despite whether or not they had the technical skill to light it. A good eye looks for good light. And something that says something, a theme, etc. Much more than "good composition."

Someone that knows how to light but has nothing to say is good for nothing but illustrative work (or a bazillion retail photo jobs, or commercial work for less sophisticated clientele).

Mar 31 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

Deaftone

Very well put Udor

Mar 31 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

JaysonPolansky com

Sedona, Arizona, US

How about vision and I am not talking about 20/20

Mar 31 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

if you're reading this thread, and you don't know the difference, i would suggest you "consider the source." that's good advice for your entire life, but especially take a look at difference between:

a) the work of people who think that lighting is more important than "the eye"

vs.

b) the work of people who value creativity over pure technicality.

i think that will answer the question for you, quite succinctly.

Mar 31 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Lighting means nothing without purpose. I'd go with the eye.

Mar 31 06 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Jay Bowman wrote:

Vegas Alien wrote:
Sure it can.

It can be developed or refined, but I don't believe it can be taught or learned.  That's a not-so-subtle difference. 

If we were discussing anything else, people wouldn't be saying you can teach "the eye" or it's suitable counterpart.  Does knowing how to proficiently mix ingredients mean that you'll have the taste and ability of a culinary artist?  Does the fact that you can read music and learn the keys on the piano mean that you'll be able to join a jazz band and play a solo?  Would the fact that you can put together phrases and learn iambic pentameter mean that you'll have the heart of a poet and will create beautiful poetry?  I could go on and on.

I think that an eye for composition as an artist is not something that can be taught.  We're saying it could because we actually do photography and would never consider the possibility that we don't have it and never will...

Mar 31 06 03:56 pm Link