Forums > General Industry > Lighting versus "an EYE"

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I don't think you can have one without the other.

Mar 31 06 03:58 pm Link

Photographer

rickOPIOLA

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

i totally agree it's the eye...

you can always find pro shooters who are literally hands off when it comes to lighting (tell their lighting guy the look they want and the crew sets it up) but you'll never see it the other way around...
they guy with the eye runs the show... in still photography it's mostly a one man show (the eye, the vision, the light) but in the movies the director is the guy with the eye, the vision and he has himself a lighting crew and a cinematographer to get him there...

technically perfect but boring images will almost always be overshadowed by creatively brilliant but somewhat technically flawed images...

the way i see it anyway...

Mar 31 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

My answer is the "eye". W/o that, no amount of technical wizardy is going to be able to save you.

Bob Randall Photography wrote:
The masters, such as Irving Penn, would argue this point with you. You can't really be effective without both.

Many photographers from the cubist or abstract-expressionist movements would seriously disagree w/ the lighting technique over "the eye."

Mar 31 06 04:35 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Christopher Bush wrote:

this is about to get very socratic, but can something be learned that cannot be taught?  i would consider 'developing' the 'eye' to be synonymous with learning, but there is no teacher.

Yep, it just got socratic.

There is no such thing as teaching.  What we call "teaching" is really just facilitating learning. 

I believe in another forum I put it this way: "Formal education only works on those who are willing to teach themselves."

However, I would say that in "developing the eye" there can definitely be a teacher.  But it's a more intimate relationship and it almost never happens in a classroom.

Mar 31 06 04:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Bennett

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

It seems to me that "having a good eye" means being sensitive to the world around you and your own imagination: it's a way of being. Lighting skill is intellectual knowledge, it's a tool just as your camera is. How you use that tool depends on your artistic intentions, and that comes from your whole being. So I would put the "eye" far above anything else.

Mar 31 06 05:10 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Conrads

Phoenix, Arizona, US

An eye for an eye! And let there be light! De-Light :-)

Mar 31 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

Rya Nell

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

They're all part of the same thing.

What you're talking about is where someone falls on the continuum between strategy and tactics. When you master either you realize that they're connected and, in order to master either, you wind up mastering both. Or neither.

What he said.

Mar 31 06 05:19 pm Link

Photographer

Torrence Williams

Dallas, Texas, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Yep, it just got socratic.

There is no such thing as teaching.  What we call "teaching" is really just facilitating learning. 

I believe in another forum I put it this way: "Formal education only works on those who are willing to teach themselves."

However, I would say that in "developing the eye" there can definitely be a teacher.  But it's a more intimate relationship and it almost never happens in a classroom.

I believe that developing "the eye" is an inate ability, thats strenghtens with experience.

Apr 01 06 12:37 am Link

Photographer

JC

ummmmmm think about it. The answer is "eye"  Shit I don't even light my shots anymore. Anyone who is successful doesn't do their own lighting. That's what a lighting techs job is for. Same thing in the movie industry. Do you think the director lights the shots, sets the props etc ?  LOL  Come on people THINK !

Apr 01 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
And I know other masters personally who disagree with this statement.

Do not take me wrong. I have little patience for photographers who think there's an easy way to greatness. And every photographer that aspires to greatness should learn technique, it's liberating. But this emphasis on technique first I very strongly feel is patently wrong. And I know masters in person who feel that as well.

Well shot drek is just that. God, poorly shot, is still God. That answers the OP's assignment. However, without technique you cannot approach photography as a professional, as you will never be in control of your shoot nor be able to assure a specific result. Further... as at its essence an image is shadow and light, not understanding lighting and how to control it is a gross disrespect to the very nature of your medium, IMHO.

Thanks, Mark for the masters reference... LOL ;-)

Apr 01 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

oldguysrule wrote:

Well shot drek is just that. God, poorly shot, is still God. That answers the OP's assignment. However, without technique you cannot approach photography as a professional, as you will never be in control of your shoot nor be able to assure a specific result. Further... as at its essence an image is shadow and light, not understanding lighting and how to control it is a gross disrespect to the very nature of your medium, IMHO.

Thanks, Mark for the masters reference... LOL ;-)

Thought you'd get a kick outta that. ;-)

Apr 01 06 06:18 am Link

Photographer

J Sigerson

Los Angeles, California, US

This has been a relatively well-behaved thread by MM standards, but it bears repeating that though the emphasis on Model Mayhem is a certain kind of (portrait-derived?) photography, the word "photography" still means different things to many posting here.

I think we can assume that the O.P. wasn't demanding all-or-nothing answers, and that effective images demand at least competence in lighting. i.e.: the most brilliant composition shot by the light of a half-open cellar door on a cloudy day at ISO 50, 1/500, f11 may fail to move even the most artistically open-minded.

Still, from my perspective, a competently-lit but magnificently envisioned picture trumps a well-lit but bland composition. However, there are shooters here who have many reasons, financial or otherwise, to view my stance as impractical or immature. There are a lot of very different things we do with our cameras, to call them all by one name seems sometimes a deliberate confusion of Babel proportions.

Now that I've typed all that, I can't get Melvin's post out of my head. Of course, our subjects' only claim to form (by the time they reach the film) is the shadows cast by them and upon them, all shape we see is shadow, ergo all composition begins with light.

Will somebody please make me stop babbling at 3 in the morning?

Apr 03 06 04:48 am Link