Forums > General Industry > How many here talk to their camera?

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Photography is nothing more than an occupation.  There is no such thing as a "real" photographer ... it's just a label.  Just like people choose to associate themselves with a group.  This calling oneself an "occupation" is only a social thing we humans do.  I'm not a "thing" or an "occupation," I just happen to enjoy photography and do make some money as a result of doing it.

There is no Santa Claus either ... ok? 

Knowing how logical I think (I'm a Vulcan like Spock) ... I have a confession to make.  I talk to my cameras!  So how many people here will admit to talking to an inanimate object that we use to create pictures?  Am I crazy or what?  So far the camera has not replied back to me.  LOL

Mar 27 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
So how many people here will admit to talking to an inanimate object that we use to create pictures?

If you include post-processing, I talk to my PC all the time. The tone is not typically pleasant.

Mar 27 06 08:41 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

I'd say over 75% of the photographers I have worked with talk to their cameras while shooting.
I know I do when I shoot.

Mar 27 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Tejas Photography

Houston, Texas, US

QuaeVide wrote:

If you include post-processing, I talk to my PC all the time. The tone is not typically pleasant.

And my camera some as well, usually when I drop it!  My motorcycle all the time though, are she gets bitchy!

Mar 27 06 08:45 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

QuaeVide wrote:

Well my cameras are like paint brushes to me.  This is a concern for me because some days a camera I pick up might actually "feel" better than other days.  I just wondered if other people who shoot have the same experience?

Mar 27 06 08:46 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

I try not to listen to my camera. Every time I am alone with it, its telling me to kill people. big_smile

Mar 27 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Iona Lynn wrote:
I'd say over 75% of the photographers I have worked with talk to their cameras while shooting.
I know I do when I shoot.

Well it is true that the camera is a tool for communication!  So I guess it makes complete sense.  lol

Mar 27 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Wayne Higgins

I talk to my camera but my therapist says we can work it out!

Mar 27 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
I try not to listen to my camera. Every time I am alone with it, its telling me to kill people. big_smile

So it tells you to shoot them? yikes

Mar 27 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

So it tells you to shoot them? yikes

Thast a good point, Im going to listen to what my Nikon says from now on.....*listens* Yes I will be happy to drive over that Canon Digital cam you saw at the end of the road.......

Mar 27 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I don't talk to my cameras (typically) but I do talk to my light--which is especially weird in that the light isn't even around between strobe pops!

Mar 27 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Photographer 287

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

More and more.  Someday I will be able to afford media with write-speeds that can keep up with my impatience... well, frankly that is nearly impossible!

Mar 27 06 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

Brian Diaz wrote:
I don't talk to my cameras (typically) but I do talk to my light--which is especially weird in that the light isn't even around between strobe pops!

Now that is odd!  Do you talk to other "elements" ... prehaps the sea when you want to divide and walk through it?  LOL   

Fantasy is FUN!

Mar 27 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

If I am having technical difficulties, then yes, of course I talk to my camera. I speak softly and say "Please, don't cost me a day of shooting..."

Also, I tend to give directions to my models by talking to the back of my camera. This is of course makes anything I say unintelligible, but so far this has not dissuaded me from having heated conversations on poses with the back of my camera.

Mar 27 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Kim

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

If I am having technical difficulties, then yes, of course I talk to my camera. I speak softly and say "Please, don't cost me a day of shooting..."

Also, I tend to give directions to my models by talking to the back of my camera. This is of course makes anything I say unintelligible, but so far this has not dissuaded me from having heated conversations on poses with the back of my camera.

Mar 27 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

'Monk

Denver, Colorado, US

Of course I talk to my camera. I call her Winona.  And yes I have watched far to much Farscape heh heh smile

Mar 27 06 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

R. Olson (RO)

Seattle, Washington, US

'Monk wrote:
Of course I talk to my camera. I call her Winona.  And yes I have watched far to much Farscape heh heh smile

Winona is from Farscape? I thought you meant Winona Judd....or Winona Ryder tongue

Mar 27 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

R. Olson (RO) wrote:
Winona is from Farscape? I thought you meant Winona Judd....or Winona Ryder tongue

Sometimes in the deep dark night, I call out to Winona Ryder ... but she doesn't hear me.   tongue   That's more information than anyone needs to know!  LOL

Mar 27 06 10:12 pm Link

Photographer

Jeanette Thompson

Germantown, Maryland, US

I talk to my camera all the time. At times, it even makes the models laugh.

Mar 28 06 02:07 am Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

Yup, just like Gomer talks to his gun.

Mar 28 06 02:16 am Link

Photographer

Yze

Huntsville, Alabama, US

You mean there are photographers that don't?

Mar 28 06 02:23 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
I talk to my cameras!

Am I crazy or what?

Definitely crazy.

We're supposed to only talk to our cars.

"Don't conk out on me bitch!"

"C'mon heffah...you can make it up that hill!"

"That's what I'm talking about! My hunney's got some azz! (rubs dash board)"

Mar 28 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

Now that is odd!  Do you talk to other "elements" ... prehaps the sea when you want to divide and walk through it?  LOL   

Fantasy is FUN!

I curse the wind pretty regularly. 

And I talk to food in the oven, but that's not exactly the same as talking to the fire that's cooking it.

Mar 28 06 03:22 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i swear at one of my camera's a lot, does this count?

Mar 28 06 03:26 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
I curse the wind pretty regularly. 

And I talk to food in the oven, but that's not exactly the same as talking to the fire that's cooking it.

I use to write thousand of lines of code. and talk to the damn thing while debugging.
Just while testing.
Talk to myself - that way I get an intelligent answer.
Brian , you need to get back on the meds

Mar 28 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

SimonL

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

QuaeVide wrote:

I have this attitude to both camera and PC.. and I shoot on film!!

Mar 28 06 03:35 am Link

Photographer

Wildcat Photography

Valparaiso, Indiana, US

No, but I do talk to my cars.

Mar 28 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

To quote a friend of mine, "If something isn’t working right, just talk to it dirty."

Now to answer the question...
Of course I talk to Fred (Nikon F5). Since Fred doesn't have an LCD screen, he has to tell me if we had a blinker or w/e.
Joey (Nikon D50) is the quite one. I don't talk to him much unless there's a problem.

Mar 28 06 11:51 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I talk to my camera, but it doesn't talk back.

Thankfully, my toaster has no problem holding a great conversation, and is fairly knowledgable with world politics, forensic math, and ancient history.  My toaster also gives me the inside scoop and juicy gossip about what's going on between the blender and the fridge.

Mar 28 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

AllioArt

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I talk with God... I love how that diety listens...
Occassionally, I mutter to myself... Probably shouldn't listen...
But I don't talk to my cameras... They never listened when I did... smile

Mar 28 06 12:13 pm Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Thankfully, my toaster has no problem holding a great conversation, and is fairly knowledgable with world politics, forensic math, and ancient history.  My toaster also gives me the inside scoop and juicy gossip about what's going on between the blender and the fridge.

I almost fell off my chair laughing when I read this. lol

Mar 28 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Cameras? I only curse at mine... we never actually hold meaningful conversations.

LOL

Studio36

Mar 28 06 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

I do and my camera's name is Jenny..

Brandon: Yah, baby! Work it Jenny, work it!
Model: Umm..... who's Jenny? My name's Christina.
Brandon: Shhhhhhhh... Jenny's working.

Mar 28 06 02:18 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Yuriy wrote:

I DID fall off my captains chair ... and I cursed at it!  He cursed back! 

Oh BTW, I like those old guys like Fred, they are dependable but slow.  The new guys are fast, but they have lost things for me at times.

Mar 28 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Bondo Photo

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

Do I talk to my camera?! Sho nuff...

https://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pic … cd6c8aeb2d

Bondo

Mar 29 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Ron B Blake

Macomb, Illinois, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
Yup, just like Gomer talks to his gun.

Defentley.

Someone needs to produce classic B & W Sit coms equal to the 50"s

Mar 29 06 10:05 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

i would have said absolutely not--except that just a few weeks ago,  a model i was working with started laughing at me because of something i said to a camera that chose not to cooperate. i had no idea that i even said anything--i was just focused on the task at hand.

now it's official. i am crazy.

Mar 29 06 10:10 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:

SayCheeZ! wrote:

Yuriy wrote:

I DID fall off my captains chair ... and I cursed at it!  He cursed back! 

Oh BTW, I like those old guys like Fred, they are dependable but slow.  The new guys are fast, but they have lost things for me at times.

Slow?! That crazy bastard can run 8 fps! ;-)
I'd like to see some Nancy try that.

Bruce Caines wrote:

i would have said absolutely not--except that just a few weeks ago,  a model i was working with started laughing at me because of something i said to a camera that chose not to cooperate. i had no idea that i even said anything--i was just focused on the task at hand.

now it's official. i am crazy.

Was it dirty?

Mar 29 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I freaked out when my MuA was talking to her lipstick case big_smile

Of course my camera and I ignored them and had our own conversation.

Mar 29 06 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

DCartist

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

I curse at mine, when it decides to lock up, I beg it sometimes to please don't die out now, or please let me get this one shot without any drama, and then there's the thank you.

Well then there's the PC and HD, it's all cursing

Mar 29 06 07:02 pm Link