Forums > General Industry > Rip the Runway and how they can improve

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Okay so who else saw this last night...did anyone else feel it was mass confusion...what do you think they can do to improve the show?  I get what they're trying to do by infusing fashion w/ hip-hop but does it work?  And another thing..watching the majority of the models walk was torture was there any practice what so ever?  Sorry all the questions but I would like some opinions on this smile

Mar 24 06 08:36 am Link

Model

MelissaLynnette LaDiva

Leawood, Kansas, US

I feel your pain.  I mean, I'm not a professional by any stretch of the word, but I can walk.  I think by having the artists (TI, Busta) on the runway, they added an unnecessary element.  Scantily clad females walking by rappers should stay in music videos, not get mixed in with couture.  The clothes were cute and the concept is great, but maybe they just didn't practice or if they did it was without the musicians.

Mar 24 06 08:43 am Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Melissa Lynnette wrote:
I feel your pain.  I mean, I'm not a professional by any stretch of the word, but I can walk.  I think by having the artists (TI, Busta) on the runway, they added an unnecessary element.  Scantily clad females walking by rappers should stay in music videos, not get mixed in with couture.  The clothes were cute and the concept is great, but maybe they just didn't practice or if they did it was without the musicians.

I think it would've been better if the artists would've stayed on the stage instead of performing on the actual runway..models kept bumping into artists, tripping, just a mess....i thought the bathing suit line was bangin!!

Mar 24 06 08:49 am Link

Model

7 Day Forum Suspension

Kerry Johnston wrote:

I think it would've been better if the artists would've stayed on the stage instead of performing on the actual runway..models kept bumping into artists, tripping, just a mess....i thought the bathing suit line was bangin!!

Yes I totally agree with you, I was at the show, I wasnt modeling but I was a spectator, and being there I felt the artists should have performed on the stage, and they should have let the models Rip the Runway!!!!
Overall I also felt like the other girl said that the Models probably practiced but they did so without the artist and thats a big no, no. I'm not saying that I'm on the other models level, but I would have ripped that runway in pieces.
https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/DYMEROSE/RTW2.jpg

~Rose Andree~

Mar 24 06 12:12 pm Link

Photographer

The House of Lethal

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Kerry Johnston wrote:

yeah the swimsuit line by bernard moore is all that. hes on mm under bathhouse by the way.

Mar 24 06 12:19 pm Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

I missed this! Damnit.

Mar 24 06 12:21 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

hasan wrote:

yeah the swimsuit line by bernard moore is all that. hes on mm under bathhouse by the way.

is he?!! i need to check it out..thanks for the info smile

Mar 24 06 12:39 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Yeah I thought that it was good for the most part...but it could have been a little more organized! Practice (with the performers) makes perfect!

Maybe we should be on there next year Kerry and show them how VA really "Rips the Runway"! LOL!

Mar 24 06 01:19 pm Link

Model

1Body

Los Angeles, California, US

It's on BET. What do you expect?

Mar 24 06 01:27 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Porchia wrote:
Yeah I thought that it was good for the most part...but it could have been a little more organized! Practice (with the performers) makes perfect!

Maybe we should be on there next year Kerry and show them how VA really "Rips the Runway"! LOL!

that's what we need to do!!

Mar 24 06 01:29 pm Link

Model

Shebababy

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

lol

My sentiments exactly
They basically stole this show from MTV's fashionably loud anyway

Wes Hall wrote:

Mar 24 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Wes Hall wrote:

oops.

Mar 24 06 01:30 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Awww...come on people we have to have some faith in BET! LOL...even though they pull little stunts like this sometime...but hey its "Black Entertainment Television"! LOL!

Mar 24 06 01:32 pm Link

Model

Autumn Bleuu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shebababy wrote:
lol

My sentiments exactly
They basically stole this show from MTV's fashionably loud anyway

WTH...man. lol  Don't blame the show being a little off because is was on BET. Blame the coordinators of the show!  Not the actual network itself... that's lame.  The network only funds and produce the show once the idea has been pitched, and then they hire various people to put the show together. Blame the coordinators.  I actually give BET major credit for putting the show together. Who cares if MTV already done the concept first.  I'm just glad that BET is making efforts to show case black designers and talent. 

I agree that the artists should remain on the stage performing and maybe not the runway.  Or if the artists remain on the runway with the models, that the walking and positioning of the artists should be better choreographed.  I also think that the camera men should focus more on the models walking down the runway and less on the artists, so that we can get a better look at the clothing. 

There were some pretty hot swimwear that I just couldn't get a good look at because the camera's were all over the place and not directly focused on the models that were walking in order.  It's like they would shoot one model for a second, then skip a shot to the artist, then skip another quick shot at models that were leaving the runway, then back and forth.  That wasn't good. But once again, I don't blame BET...I blame the coordinators of the event.  Other than that the show was nice to watch for general entertainment.  Lsat year's rip the runway was a bit better though I think.  I'm just glad that BET is presenting more shows in their line up, instead of the same old stuff.

Mar 24 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Farah Malika wrote:
WTH...man. lol  Don't blame the show being a little off because is was on BET. Blame the coordinators of the show!  Not the actual network itself... that's lame.  The network only funds and produce the show once the idea has been pitched, and then they hire various people to put the show together. Blame the coordinators.  I actually give BET major credit for putting the show together. Who cares if MTV already done the concept first.  I'm just glad that BET is making efforts to show case black designers and talent. 
I agree that the artists should remain on the stage performing and maybe not the runway.  Or if the artists remain on the runway with the models, that the walking and positioning of the artists should be better choreographed.

Thats a good point...and very true!

Mar 24 06 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Kerry Johnston wrote:
i thought the bathing suit line was bangin!!

Since it aired... I can post some imgages. DISCLAIMER: Those are not edited, where only as samples for someone else, because me and my partner working on a project with Bernard.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-108.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-075.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-077.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-088.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-081.jpg

Mar 24 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

Studio 608 North

Toledo, Ohio, US

I saw it last night and from a photographers point of view it would have been hell to get a shot of any particular artical or person.But overall it was neat and I loved the Steve Harvey collection, but at my age that and LL cool J's line were the only fashions that appeald to me.In general it was great and I am sure that they will improve next time around and I am going to try to be there to shoot.

Mar 24 06 01:59 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Exotic Photography wrote:
I saw it last night and from a photographers point of view it would have been hell to get a shot of any particular article or person.But overall it was neat and I loved the Steve Harvey collection, but at my age that and LL cool J's line were the only fashions that appeald to me.In general it was great and I am sure that they will improve next time around and I am going to try to be there to shoot.

You ain't kidding!

Mar 24 06 02:01 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Exotic Photography wrote:
I saw it last night and from a photographers point of view it would have been hell to get a shot of any particular artical or person.But overall it was neat and I loved the Steve Harvey collection, but at my age that and LL cool J's line were the only fashions that appeald to me.In general it was great and I am sure that they will improve next time around and I am going to try to be there to shoot.

And Im definitely going to try and be there for you to shoot...strolling down the runway!

Mar 24 06 02:03 pm Link

Model

7 Day Forum Suspension

Porchia wrote:

And Im definitely going to try and be there for you to shoot...strolling down the runway!

I know thats right!!!! Girl me TOO lol

Mar 24 06 02:06 pm Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

Ill see you there Rose..first we have to find out how to get picked...or at least a casting call or something! LOL!

Mar 24 06 02:26 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

i guess i was the only one a tad bit excited about the plus line! smile eh hem, excuse me, size sexy wink

And yes! Lawd hammercy, it should be a little more coordinated.  Performers should have stayed on the stage, and yes, i agree, camera man should have gotten more shots of the models.   There's always next year for improvements...this is only the 2nd annual...

and ladies, i'm sure there is a casting call somewhere! I'm going to find it for next year

Mar 25 06 06:22 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

UdoR wrote:

Since it aired... I can post some imgages. DISCLAIMER: Those are not edited, where only as samples for someone else, because me and my partner working on a project with Bernard.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-108.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-075.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-077.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-088.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/RipTheRunway2006/Bathhouse/RipTRunway06-081.jpg

Udor you're amazing...looking to move to your city by mid summer and i can't wait!

Mar 25 06 07:39 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

Nikki S. wrote:
i guess i was the only one a tad bit excited about the plus line! smile eh hem, excuse me, size sexy wink

And yes! Lawd hammercy, it should be a little more coordinated.  Performers should have stayed on the stage, and yes, i agree, camera man should have gotten more shots of the models.   There's always next year for improvements...this is only the 2nd annual...

and ladies, i'm sure there is a casting call somewhere! I'm going to find it for next year

That line was decent and i think Toccara looked fabulous!!

Mar 25 06 07:42 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Wes Hall wrote:

LMAO! Ohh..sexy and a sense of humor. Holla. smile

Mar 25 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Man! I missed the show. Anyone know if they mentioned when they would show it again! Damn you College Algebra and your late-nights!!

Mar 25 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

PlusModelNikki

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Yanique wrote:

That line was decent and i think Toccara looked fabulous!!

she would have looked better if she had a better choice of wigs :\ IMO

Mar 25 06 08:02 pm Link

Model

Yanique

BRONX, New York, US

AJ Bella wrote:
Man! I missed the show. Anyone know if they mentioned when they would show it again! Damn you College Algebra and your late-nights!!

don't worry they'll show it over and over and over......

Mar 25 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

Porchia wrote:
Awww...come on people we have to have some faith in BET! LOL...even though they pull little stunts like this sometime...but hey its "Black Entertainment Television"! LOL!

Which is now UNDER the viacom(mtv) group........
on to fashionably loud...that was a mess too...models with no azzzzzz or rhythm

Mar 26 06 03:45 am Link

Photographer

TARRICE LOVE

Brooklyn, New York, US

aye provide wrote:
Which is now UNDER the viacom(mtv) group........
on to fashionably loud...that was a mess too...models with no azzzzzz or rhythm

i was very disappointed - this years BET rip the runway was a mess to watch. From a home viewer's perspective, it looked like mass confusion. I loved MTV's fashionably loud. Models with no azzzzz or rhythm - at least it was organized and you could see the clothes and the performers.

Mar 26 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

legworkPhotography

Detroit, Alabama, US

The artist needed their own stage, lol at Mob Deep dayum near running into the models. My advice is for them to get shorter models 4'11-5'3" to keep the performers from looking like dwarfs.

Udors Rules

Mar 26 06 04:47 am Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

Just from a viewers point of view, all I saw was confusion.  So the TV got turned off pretty quick.

But then again, I'm not much of a TV watcher and get disinterested rapidly.

By what I have heard, I didn't turn the TV off too soon.

Mar 26 06 04:52 am Link

Model

aye provide

New York, New York, US

tarrice love wrote:

i was very disappointed - this years BET rip the runway was a mess to watch. From a home viewer's perspective, it looked like mass confusion. I loved MTV's fashionably loud. Models with no azzzzz or rhythm - at least it was organized and you could see the clothes and the performers.

It is nice to see the models and the performers but it is BETTER when you can also get a sense of the spirit/flavor of the clothing line. I think it sells the donating designer WAY short when the models do not project the core attitude of that line via body type, look and runway presence. These are national shows and the LEAST that could happen is the designer get proper promotion.

The only thing FL did have going for it was the organization.  As a vet of MAGIC and seeing how the some of the clothing lines maintained super-boths in order to give buyers a show that reflected their visions, BOTH shows fail on complete execution.

Personally the only fashionably louds that worked were the spring break ones. due to sq footage..the models got my face time with the clothes.

Both show need to reivew the dvd from Busta Rhymes intial launch of Bushi   when that happened it was the hottest ticket on the strip. EVERYONE not just the industy people had a chance to see it if they got the ticket

Mar 26 06 07:59 am Link

Model

Sona

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

aye provide wrote:
It is nice to see the models and the performers but it is BETTER when you can also get a sense of the spirit/flavor of the clothing line. I think it sells the donating designer WAY short when the models do not project the core attitude of that line via body type, look and runway presence. These are national shows and the LEAST that could happen is the designer get proper promotion.

I'm not sure if you're implying that the designers didn't have a say in how their clothes were presented but if you are that is not the case at all.  I modeled for Courtney Washington (which was in the full-figured segment) and he was the one who picked us in his casting as well as rehearsed with us as to how he wanted us to walk and act on the runway.  So in that sense the designers are very involved in how they're clothes are promoted and presented.  Almost all of the designers pick their own models, you don't just go to a general casting for BET.

Also to answer any other questions we actually did rehearse with the artists (although it may not look like it).  A lot of the rehearsals were rushed and there was confusion, but it ended up pulling together in the end.  It was a bit chaotic, but I think they kind of want that free spirited sense of the fashion show.  It's like a fashion show and concert in one, and that is why the artists don't just stay on stage.  Even the runway is shaped differently to make it clear that this is not the average fashion show.  I definitely agree with most people about the chaotic nature of the show, cuz i was frustrated myself in rehearsal, but it was exciting to be a part of something still pretty new, and i'm always down for stuff that uplifts and promotes african-american designers.  And ESPECIALLY shows that promote that women come in different shapes and sizes, to have a full-figured segment as part of the show was actually pretty revolutionary and i'm glad I could be a part of that!  smile

Mar 26 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

GFLIXXX

Newark, Arkansas, US

I AGREE, IT WASNT AS HOT AS THE 1ST ONE WE DID, LAST YEAR.
I REPRESENT THE MODELS THAT WALKED FOR BERNARD MOORE, AS WELL AS BERNARD MOORE. YOU CAN SEE HIS WORK ON MY SITE:
DIAMONDZNPEARLZ.COM
OUR SEGMENT WAS THE BUSTA RHYMES JOINT.  EVEN THOUGH THEY WORKED HARD AT REHERSAL, WHEN YOU GET TO THE SHOW, THE ARTIST ARE ALL OVER THE STAGE, WHICH IS FINE, THATS WHAT THEY DO, I THINK THE MODELS DID A GOOD JOB INTERACTING WITH THE ARTIST, AND DODGING AROUND THEM, WHEN NECESSARY.

Mar 26 06 08:49 am Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

better music.  LOL tongue

Mar 27 06 12:16 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/DYMEROSE/RTW2.jpg

Its funny that this poster says "Where Music and Fashion collide"
They probably didnt mean LITERALLY... LOL

Mar 27 06 01:11 am Link

Model

Dayana Standish

Hackensack, New Jersey, US

hmm I was part of the show as well and had a great time doing it. I agree that some of the models looked like donkeys dodging uphill than strutting on a catwalk. But like previously stated each designer casted and prepared their own models and thus the lack of experience shouldnt be reflected on BET.
My one thing with all the comments on this forum is people's references that more emphasis should've been placed on the models instead of artists. Now while this would hold true in a normal fashion show it doesnt for BET. Think about the general programming of the network. It revolves around black artists and black music. And it works. People tune in. I doubt that BET wouldve been able to commercialize and bring so many viewers to tune in by presenting the fashions alone. Another thing as a runway model you should be able to adapt to any situations in the runway gracefully. A model that knew what she was doing would have been able to interact with the artist, keep it moving and do it gracefully. And not stop like a deer in head light because your path wasnt perfectly clear. Even runway shows arent completely perfect. On the runway things happen all the time, being a good runway model means taking those situations and making the best of it.

Mar 27 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Sona

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

here here Cathy...couldn't have said it better myself.

Mar 27 06 01:54 pm Link

Model

Autumn Bleuu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

GFLIXXX wrote:
I AGREE, IT WASNT AS HOT AS THE 1ST ONE WE DID, LAST YEAR.
I REPRESENT THE MODELS THAT WALKED FOR BERNARD MOORE, AS WELL AS BERNARD MOORE. YOU CAN SEE HIS WORK ON MY SITE:
DIAMONDZNPEARLZ.COM
OUR SEGMENT WAS THE BUSTA RHYMES JOINT.  EVEN THOUGH THEY WORKED HARD AT REHERSAL, WHEN YOU GET TO THE SHOW, THE ARTIST ARE ALL OVER THE STAGE, WHICH IS FINE, THATS WHAT THEY DO, I THINK THE MODELS DID A GOOD JOB INTERACTING WITH THE ARTIST, AND DODGING AROUND THEM, WHEN NECESSARY.

Nice of you to advertise your site.  It's nice, but you know what it's missing? Me. Ha Ha  smile

Mar 27 06 02:55 pm Link