Forums > General Industry > I dont get Goth!

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

The goth subculture does encompass more than gloom and dressing in all black.  (There are at least a dozen sub-categories; perkygoths, for example, tend to wear a lot of pink.)  The tired old stereotype is what people outside the scene seem to focus on though...

More info:

What is goth?
http://www.goth.net/goth.html

May 28 06 12:09 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
The goth subculture does encompass more than gloom and dressing in all black.  (There are at least a dozen sub-categories; perkygoths, for example, tend to wear a lot of pink.)  The tired old stereotype is what people outside the scene seem to focus on though...

More info:

What is goth?
http://www.goth.net/goth.html

Interesting link.  I think I am more goth than I thought I was smile

May 28 06 01:29 am Link

Model

Ellynyn

Bristol, Connecticut, US

Terrace wrote:
Gothic Beauty Magazine--->sold at Hot Topic.
Marquis Magazine
Elegy Magazine 
It is a HUGE industry...Many mainstream artists (models and photogs alike) would get inspired and even learn a thing or two if they educated themselves about other forms of the biz..
also, Check out, the fine art by Lithium Picnic (in my opinion, the best artist in the "gothic" industry.)

LithiumPicnic.com

and the hottest "gothic" model
"apnea"--her website is --->   Apneatic.com

These are AMAZING artists that inspired me to become a model. 

seriously folks...alot of people have been commenting nothing that has any information substance. 

Lots of LOVE!!!  ~terrace.

Lithium Picnic and Apnea aren't "goth"

Goth is not fetish is not goth.

May 28 06 10:31 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Well, stylistically, they could easily fall under the "goth" umbrella.  Some of their non-adult fashion stuff is very dark.  I prefer to call everything "alt" these days, though; it's a bit more encompassing than stereotyping definitions.

Along those lines, I consider myself "gothy", but not "goth"... if that makes any sense.  However, I have no problems with random people calling me a "goth model".  That's fine.  When it comes down to it though, I tend to categorize myself for portfolio websites, etc, as an "alternative model".  Alternative to the mainstream.

May 28 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

io

New York, New York, US

Neyrissa  wrote:
Lithium Picnic and Apnea aren't "goth"

Goth is not fetish is not goth.

Well, since Apnea has made the cover of Gothic Beauty two times and is a regular between its pages, I'd say she qualifies as a goth model....and even if she denies it, goths are REQUIRED to deny their "gothness," lol.   
Look, I make no bones about it-I'm a goth chick (though I won't stay stereotypical, I'm a happy person w/a fondness for the color pink) in-terms of the music I love, the clubs I go to, my aesthetic preferences- but I'm also a fetishist with a deep love of latex, corsetry, and bondage.   
You can be BOTH a goth and a fetishist, and there's a lot of crossover between the genres, whether some like it or not, it's there.

May 28 06 09:48 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

area291 wrote:

With a statement like that I think further explanation is owed.  I'll buy into it if the argument is compelling enough, but on the surface equating Johnny Cash and Goth is stretching it a bit.  The man in black did travel on the dark side, but not due to being trendy as much as goth is today.

I could definitely write you a lovely treatise on the links between mideaval folk tunes,  bluegrass, delta blues, gospel, soul and classic country and their relation to what is now called "Goth" [it would probably be titled "Hellhound on the trail of Matteye Groves" or something].  But it would take a few days to arrange all the facts and music sources and another few days to write, and that's a committment I only make when an editor is actually paying me for the piece.  I'm sure you understand.

May 29 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

na52

Kitapanda wrote:

Confusing goth for emo are we?.

How many emo kids does it take to screw in a light bulb?

who knows!?  they cry alone in the dark!

May 29 06 12:40 pm Link