Forums > General Industry > what size prints to send agencies?

Model

Rick LaKari

New York, New York, US

When sending out prints to agencies... what size do you suggest sending?
------------------
Thanks to all those that replied initially.....

I should rephrase my question...

My portfolio is 9x12, but.....

I've found a few modeling agencies only accept pictures via mail... no open calls for guys... so that's what I was curious about.

Sending 9x12's gets a little expensive.  Would something smaller and more affordable be acceptable?

Mar 17 06 12:47 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Snapshot size (4x6 or so) is fine if you are a model; 8x10 glossy if you are submitting to a "talent" agency.

Mar 17 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

ObscuraPhotography KC

Olathe, Kansas, US

I am not an expert on the topic, but I beleive 9x12 is a pretty standard size for llamaing...and 8x10 for acting.

Mar 17 06 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

9x12

Mar 17 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Stanley

Los Angeles, California, US

There's no question, 9x12 only.  11x14 for photographers.

This is industry standard.

You might want to consider a open-call walk in.  This way you can get feedback on what they like from you and they don't.

Mar 17 06 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Morton Visuals

Hope, Idaho, US

I've heard different requests from different agencies. My guess is that they all have their preferences.

If you're simply trying to determine if they might be interested in talking to you, you could probably just show them 4x6s or even Polaroids. I know some agencies have "open call" days (although it may only be 2-4 hrs one day a week) when anyone can walk in. If you don't have any photos yet, they shoot a Polaroid or 2 of you  then.

I am certainly not a model, but if I were going in to try to impress an agency though, I would go in with at least 2-3 professional 8x10s to show them not only how I photograph but that I'm serious in my interest. In my mind it's analagous to taking a resume in for a corporate job, printed on good parchment paper (or stationary) and professionally typeset. You know what they say about first impressions - so I do my best to make as good of an impression as I can.

Wm

Mar 17 06 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Ask the agency in question.
The would answer so many questions of this type.

Most NY agencies work on open calls and just showing up to the agency,  walking in the door.
If they want to see just some first pics then they may not need 9 x12's but just poloroid type shots to just see what you look like.

The standard is 9 x 12 but if the model is from NY then what agencies are asking you to send prints out? 

This does not seem standard to me.

If you are getting prints from photographers then they should be 9 x 12.

Mar 17 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

9x12 for models.

8x10 or 11x14 for photographers

Mar 17 06 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

luciano Mello

São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil

Ask for the agency you sign in.  If you sending by mail 5x7 is a good size  or 8x11 to put in your book as 9x12 there is no standart about this...  but those two sizes are the best. BE sure to put in a portfolio for the right size, nothing more horrible than a portfolio 9x12 with some images in 4x6 and some in 8x11 .

Mar 17 06 01:26 pm Link

Model

Rick LaKari

New York, New York, US

Thanks for the feedback thus far...

Mar 17 06 01:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

Hi Rick,

Go to the source for the answer to your question.  Open calls are good but some agencies will only meet women during an open call.  That means as a man you must mail or e-mail them your photos.  Either way, mail or open call, it seems like the agencies are not expecting you to walk in with 9x12 pictures.

It's simple.  Just go to their web sites and see what they want or call them and they'll put you through to their pre-recorded information on how to submit.

A few to get you started...
http://www.fordmodels.com/main.cfm
http://www.imgmodels.com
http://www.dnamodels.com
http://www.womenmanagement.com
http://www.newyorkmodels.com/main
http://www.marilynagency.com

Good luck!

Gregory

P.S. - Read Dan Hood's answer in the portfolio thread for how to set up your book.

Mar 17 06 01:50 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

You just edited but based on what you had written.   For this agency and really any ask.

Ask for you may not be getting these images back or will you get them back undamaged?

For a simple open call,  even by mail,  9 x 12 or 8 x 10's may be over kill.
They likely just want to see what you look like.

This is likely just your first step in the process.   How big?   How many? What type of shots?
How many looks to send?   Will you get them back and when?

Ask.

Mar 17 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Gregory Storm

Burbank, California, US

From Elite's FAQ

1. How do I send in pictures? Does each picture get reviewed?
You can send in pictures via mail or email. Each picture is reviewed by an Elite Scout.

2. Do the pictures have to be professionally taken?
Professional photos are not necessary; a Polaroid, snapshot or digital picture is fine.

3. What kind of pictures does Elite look for? Should I have my hair and make-up done?
Elite is looking for 10 photos in various natural poses against a plain white wall. The face should be bare or with minimal makeup. Photos should include some with hair up and some down. Remember to include measurements (bust, waist, hips, and height). If mailing the photos, the back of the photo must have contact information including name, address and phone number.

Photograph Tips
From the Shoulders up:
- forward w/smile
- forward w/no smile
- both profiles

From the Waist Up:
- forward w/smile
- forward w/no smile
- both profiles

Full-Length:
-forward w/smile
-both profiles
-back shot

Mar 17 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Cool

Also check www.newmodels.com for general info on agencies.

Good stuff and good truthful positive information.

And that is de truth

Mar 17 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

Gregory Storm wrote:
3. What kind of pictures does Elite look for? Should I have my hair and make-up done?
Elite is looking for 10 photos in various natural poses against a plain white wall. The face should be bare or with minimal makeup. Photos should include some with hair up and some down. Remember to include measurements (bust, waist, hips, and height). If mailing the photos, the back of the photo must have contact information including name, address and phone number.

Photograph Tips
From the Shoulders up:
- forward w/smile
- forward w/no smile
- both profiles

From the Waist Up:
- forward w/smile
- forward w/no smile
- both profiles

Full-Length:
-forward w/smile
-both profiles
-back shot[/i]

And when we accept models, we are also asking that new models try and conform to this kind of standard. I have been sending out a lot of letters telling new models that these are the first pics they should have on their portfolio here. Since we are trying to maintain a certain level of professionalism, we tend to frown on camera phone pics or 'artistic' pictures when there is no basic shots of the model. If a model who applies is experienced, the photos tell it. An inexperienced model is better keeping it simple.

Mar 17 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rick LaKari wrote:
When sending out prints to agencies... what size do you suggest sending?
------------------

Sending 9x12's gets a little expensive.  Would something smaller and more affordable be acceptable?

I understood the question the first time, and gave you the correct answer:  "Snapshot size (4x6 or so) is fine if you are a model; 8x10 glossy if you are submitting to a "talent" agency."  In addition, if you happen to have a comp card printed that is better, but from the question I gather you do not.

All this stuff about 9x12 and what should be in a portfolio has nothing to do with the question you asked.

Mar 17 06 03:20 pm Link