Forums > General Industry > where and when do you get your best ideas?

Photographer

richeille bj

New York, New York, US

early morning

Mar 15 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Often in the midst of one project, an idea for another occurs to me.

Mar 15 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

David A

Pleasant Grove, Utah, US

In bed asleep.  Of course, it's still questionable if I've ever had a good idea. lol

Mar 15 06 09:52 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Usually while reading and drinking.  Or riding and drinking.  Mostly when I'm drinking, I guess.

-D

Mar 15 06 09:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:
Usually while reading and drinking.  Or riding and drinking.  Mostly when I'm drinking, I guess.

-D

Stop drinking out of the toilet bowl.  That is my gig.

Mar 15 06 09:58 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

I get my best ideas in the bathroom...not when I am actually on the toilet necessarily, but I go in there to smoke my cigarettes too, and sometimes, giving myself that break seems to really get them coming.
I cannot tell you how many times i have rushed out of the bathroom to write a whole bunch of metaphorical shit down.

Mar 15 06 10:02 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Well, first and foremost, best is a relative term.  That my ideas are even good is debatable...

As to the question of where and when.  Everywhere and anytime!  I read a good deal, so many times the photography I do is a visualization of something I read.  I also so get ideas from music by visualizing what's happening in the song.  Or something I saw around.  Or a movie I saw. 

Anything...

Mar 15 06 10:04 pm Link

Model

spyro2122

Orlando, Florida, US

I have had my good Ideas while in the bathroom while brushing my teeth. and while sleeping.

Mar 15 06 10:34 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I don't get them. I meet with the model after goin gover a few basics like wardrobe and start shooting.

This shit is starting to sound like work

Mar 15 06 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Vintagevista

Sun City, California, US

Long distance drives - I can map out 2 or 3 sessions in my head during a run from here to Tulsa.

Or, sitting in the staggering jams around LAX on a friday - This usually give me 4-5 hours of quality 5MPH driving time.

VintageV

Mar 16 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

0341 Photography

Glendora, California, US

Four times of inspiration:
1) In the shower
2) in bed almost asleep
3) driving to class
4) middle of the shoot

Cantu

Mar 16 06 12:18 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

When i'm cleaning

Photographer

Craig A McKenzie

Marine City, Michigan, US

In the shower...at night...3 or 4 a.m.

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

Driving

Mar 16 06 12:20 am Link

Photographer

WillSpringfield

On the NYC subway (anytime). ON the TOILET (late-night)!!! in the shower also late-night. maybe its mostly late-night becasue thats the only time im FULLY awake! :-D

Mar 16 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

Star

I leave a bowl of milk out at the edge of the forest, the little guys come runnin!

Star

Mar 16 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

XposurePhoto

Houston, Texas, US

yeah..me to...must of the time driving arround, but then must of them will get me in trouble so I quicky erase them and the decent ones I forget to write them down...the best ones get stuck in my brain till I finally do them, but again most people think I am crazy and then it falls apart, so I just wait till I see the Model, the location and wardrobe and then my creative juices start flowing then I can't stop until I the model is wore out... then I am back to my little mind thinking on the way home what else I could have done but there was not enough time for it.

XP

Mar 16 06 12:28 am Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

My best ideas come when I really need them.  Mother is the necessity of all invention.  ... Or is necessity the mother of all invention?   Hmm,  Whichever... smile

Mar 16 06 01:15 am Link

Model

SithVixen

Red Deer, Alberta, Canada

I get them when looking at other's people work.  I'm not a copy cat but I do find other people's idea's inspiring.

Mar 16 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron Robb

London, Arkansas, US

I get ideas from art, like anime, funky kinda drawings, then i make it into real photos

also from songs, like u know if you picture an image that the song is talking about

Mar 16 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

The Digital Difference

Lakewood, New Jersey, US

Check out:

www.photosig.com

Great photog site to get ideas for shoots!

Mar 16 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

i usually get the best ideas as the model is putting her street clothes back on, and the lights and gear are all packed up.  i hate that.

Mar 16 06 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

"where and when do you get your best ideas?"

Where: My brain.

When: When using it.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/Smly-Drunk-16.gif

Mar 16 06 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

Webspinner Studios

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

UdoR wrote:
"where and when do you get your best ideas?"

Where: My brain.

When: When using it.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/Smly-Drunk-16.gif

Haha. You know if a mod says they will get back to you when they sober up, it may be a while....lol@our wonderful members:)

Mar 16 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

~Krista~ wrote:

Haha. You know if a mod says they will get back to you when they sober up, it may be a while....lol@our wonderful members:)

Yeah, I saw that one... was too funny... I think Ched dropped that one... LOL

Mar 16 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

B R E E D L O V E

Forks, Washington, US

When I am trying to get a woman to sleep with me. Of course thirty seconds afterwards I forget everything I promised and drift off to sleep.

Mar 16 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

tmaphoto

Santa Monica, California, US

Christopher Bush wrote:
i usually get the best ideas as the model is putting her street clothes back on, and the lights and gear are all packed up.  i hate that.

LOL!  That's funny as hell.  Funny 'cause it's true.

I often have my best ideas after the model is gone and I'm looking at the images.... sigh.

Mar 16 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

WillSpringfield wrote:
On the NYC subway (anytime).

Where I get almost all my thinking done.  And all my reading for pleasure.

Sucks now that I work mostly from home...no place to think.  See?  Can't even complete sentences here.

Mar 16 06 05:02 pm Link