Forums > General Industry > TFP- which happens more?

Model

StaciF

New York, New York, US

Models that no-show or Photographers that don't send pictures.....

Jun 28 05 04:18 pm Link

Photographer

Curt Lout Photography

Spearfish, South Dakota, US

I am months behind on sending photos... sorry ladies!

Jun 28 05 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Posted by StaciF: 

Thanks for the homage to one of my recent posts:

"I'm curious, do you think more photographers cancel and flake out than models do???"

We can only speak from our personal experiences, so I can imagine photogs leaning one way and models another.  Let's see where this one spirals....

(BTW, I turn discs around within two weeks and state that up front.)

Jun 28 05 04:28 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

I've never had any of those happen but I did have a no show photographer one time and then we planned to resched again cause he called and said he was just now getting off work (He was an hour late to the shoot) so I left. Well, I contacted him again to set up the shoot AGAIN he was and he told me he was "moving to TX and wouldn't be able to do TFP anymore" what B/S.

Jun 28 05 08:44 pm Link

Model

Amber Dawn - Indiana

Salem, Indiana, US

Posted by Shovelhead Curt: 
I am months behind on sending photos... sorry ladies!

I'm not pointing this STRAIGHT AT YOU but it got me thinking. I've worked with photographers who told me it would take them about 6 weeks to get me my CD because they were behind on getting other models their CD. So, here's the question. Why do yall continue to book shoots if you are so behind on getting every other model their CD? Why not stop or slow down until you get every other model their CD so you don't continue to be behind?

Jun 28 05 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

House of Indulgence

New York, New York, US

I have only rescheduled twice. The shoots still happened. The way I look at it is that if I put you down in my calander then I am shooting and bringing everything to the table for that shoot. Otherwise why bother setting up a date to test.

I have had bunch of models no show and only twice did they call to cancel. One model even had the balls to never showed up at the Starbucks at the base of her office to meet to talk. We talked on the phone about meeting that very day!

Unless they are agency credited (a.k.a. test with the modeling agencies a few times a month) models and photograqphers then you are dealing with a variable of flakes.

It happens. I tend not to bitch about it. I just move on.

Jun 28 05 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

I have certainly had my share of No-Show Models for TFP sessions.

I beleive that I have always made sure that my TFP models receive prints or CD's in a timely manner.  I do try to make sure that the models understand that it does take time to prepare prints or CD's for their use.

Jun 28 05 09:10 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Well, photographers sure do complain about no-show models more than models complain about photographers that stiff them, if that means anything.

Jun 28 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

jpsc

Santa Clara, California, US

With today digital world, you can burn a model a CD right after a shoot or during the shoot.  I carry one of those CF CD burner.  Just pop a CF in and burn your model the shoot session.  So if you flake out after the shoot - both party has all the images on CD.

Jun 28 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

jpsc... a wise friend (who also happens to be a major network producer) once told me that the difference between a serious photographer and everyone else, is that the serious photographer doesn't show everyone ALL of their images.  It's  called editing smile

Jun 28 05 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

CharliesImages

Raleigh, Illinois, US

Posted by Ken Mierzwa: 
jpsc... a wise friend (who also happens to be a major network producer) once told me that the difference between a serious photographer and everyone else, is that the serious photographer doesn't show everyone ALL of their images.  It's  called editing smile

My thoughts exactly.  I dare not provide to the model unedited CD's/prints.

Jun 28 05 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

My main computer was done for two months,  I am actually surprised I have not become the victim of one of those hate threads.

But I keep the models updated.  I am still missing a piece.  so over 2 1/2 months to get my main system back running again.
they will get the shots.

But funny thing is,  one of the models had the chance to pick up the images and Cd but she was a no show to pick up 3 times.

Not the same as a no show for a shoot but still.  So she is one who has no right to complain.

Jun 28 05 09:38 pm Link

Model

Tayler

Portland, Oregon, US

Posted by Ken Mierzwa: 

and they're usually so many times better once edited, it's worth the wait smile

Jun 28 05 09:40 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Ken Mierzwa: 

I thought the difference between serious photographers and everyone else was that serious photographers were too busy shooting to ponder who's showing what to whom?

Jun 28 05 09:47 pm Link

Model

Los Angeles, California, US

Posted by theda: 
Well, photographers sure do complain about no-show models more than models complain about photographers that stiff them, if that means anything.

Interesting observation

I've been stood up and I'm still waiting on photos, some of which have already reached their "expiration date" *shock* Some people say one thing and do another.

c'est la vie

Jun 28 05 09:49 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Sara Green: 
c'est la vie

mai pen rai

Jun 28 05 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Posted by StaciF: 

I'd say it's probably equal.  Some photographers seem to be a rather loud lot and that's why the no-shows get so much press.

I myself actually owe 1 model a set-of shots from a year ago. It's not my normal mode of operating, but then again, this last year for me wasn't a normal year.  I shoot film and in between my moves, her shots, though safe, weren't accessible, in fact they were in storage.   I swear to god, this woman, not only is a great model, but has had the patience of a saint... (HER NAME IS ANYSSA MM 5092). I finally got the last set of her slides and barring anymore computer problems (scanning/cleanup) she'll have them next week.  Does she have a right to be upset?  Absolutely.  She upheld her end of the bargain, I didn't.

I'm kinda old school though in the sense that I haven't taken on any new work (other than some stuff I set-up a while ago) until I could get my workflow set-up at my new place together.  I mean like REALLY together.  In my book, just how it's not cool that a model is a no-show, neither is not distributing or being late with shots.  I've done it this time, but really don't ever want it happening again.

Jun 28 05 10:10 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

I've had photographers that have flaked on me, as well. I have had to cancel a couple of photoshoots in my past, too, but I make it a point to call or send e-mails over a week in advance unless it is an emergency. In fact, the one emergency I have had while traveling to a shoot, was when my car broke down, and the transmission completely quit on me. Thankfully, I did have a cell phone, and called the photographer, and he understood. Things like that happen.

Now, for the photographers that flaked on me, that actually had to do with me getting my pictures. There were a couple who had sent me one or two images, and there was one that didn't send any at all. I have put that pretty much behind me, though, as that was over 5 years ago, and I have no real need for those photos since my look has changed quite a bit.

One of the most recent photographers I have worked with, gave me a disk with all the photos from our shoot before I even left his studio. Kudos to Paul Reynolds...great guy to work with. Also, there was a photographer I worked with while I was on vacation in Seattle, and he gave me prints and contact sheets of the photos within 2 days of shooting. I love working with photographers that keep up their end of the deal.

Jun 28 05 10:36 pm Link

Model

Irene

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I get way to many photographers that haven't send me my prints or Cd like they asked.

Jun 28 05 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

when i do a tfcd i make a cd right on the spot at end of session.

Jun 28 05 11:51 pm Link

Photographer

CO_Charlie

Denver, Colorado, US

I wont do a CD at the very end of a session, but within 3 weeks, an edited CD will be in your mailbox. Personally i think people are jokes when they can't keep up their end of a very straighforward arrangement. Whatever happened to the  "take pride in your work" code of ethics for some people???

Jun 29 05 12:20 am Link

Photographer

mike b

Wichita, Kansas, US

most the time if they want a little editing they get back with me on the ones they like and i do it then .  my goal is to shoot with little or no editing but if a person comes to me and i do a shoot for them then after the shoot i do the editing on the spot. because i use no studio all work done on location. just a how i do it works for me. i know we all have our own styles

Jun 29 05 07:53 am Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Posted by CO_Charlie: 
Whatever happened to the  "take pride in your work" code of ethics for some people???

Be a dog and get a away with a ton of shit.

I hate when the bitches don't show up,  but then I can never deliver.  Some A-hole cut my balls off.

Jun 29 05 11:16 am Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

Its been working this way for me lately..if someone wants their images right away they end up with batch converted jpg's of mediocre quality (straight from the camera essentially). If they can wait awhile for me to spend some real time post processing the top 5 or so pics from their shoot they end up with really high quality photos. So, when a model gets a little demanding, or starts rushing I just give her the batch converted jpg's. The only problem I have is that then there are pics out there that I did that are in my own opinion of subpar quality.

So heres a tip for the models..you won't get any GREAT shots unless someone has been meticulous in their post processing of the images. To me, taking the shot is 50% of the process, post processing is another 50%. This takes time, and in my opinion is worth the wait. If you honestly can't tell the difference between post processed photos and images as shot directly from the camera, then you can ignore all of my post and you will love the jpg CD's you get!..smile Most of the photographers I have seen that are handing models CD's of ALL the images from the shoot are really handing out low level quality. For some reason the models are usually all excited by the quantity and just seem to overlook the quality..

-Dennis

Jun 29 05 01:23 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

www.explorelight.com 

Ed Gordon

This 'professional' arranged in detail, flew from USA and shot with me TFP in October 2004
Digital and film TFP/TFCD

He has not given me a single photo,
only excuses, lies and then silence.
I have been in touch with other models with same problem with him.
This guy is very respected and teaches other photographers
If its considerred ok  professional behaviour with you guys I wont persue him - but im very upset

The pics I saw (NUDES) on digital looked great.
There were a lot of backbends with no warm up so it wasnt too much fun... I asked him for the pics with no results.
ps
I lost other paid work that day and had to drive a lot away from work and back - and pay a LONDON CENTRE CONGESTION CHARGE  to be at the shoot, but I really thought it would be worth it.

This is a warning really...
I'd also welcome ideas what to do?

Jun 29 05 01:23 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Posted by jpsc: 
   With today digital world, you can burn a model a CD right after a shoot or during the shoot.  I carry one of those CF CD burner.  Just pop a CF in and burn your model the shoot session.  So if you flake out after the shoot - both party has all the images on CD.

Some models would love to have this done the day of, but I have to make sure the images are up to snuff, color-corrected, retouched, resized, sharpened, have a copyright stamp added.... I try to quote two weeks and make sure I don't get in over my head on booking.

Also, I put a proof sheet online as I am finishing images so models can grab and use the edited ones as they exist.  It's been very popular so far and even if you are overworked, you can take the imte to do one or two soon after the shoot and at least give the talent something they can take advantage of.

Jun 29 05 01:28 pm Link

Model

Denny T Love

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I am still waiting for 3 Cd's so I am not sure and It has been weeks and months.

Jun 29 05 01:35 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I use a shoot agreement that states that I will hae the proofs and cd ready for the model to view within a certain amount of time.  Usually 3 weeks.  I am not behind in sending nor have I never sent out what was promised.  Although I have had a few models not get back to me about pics that they want from the shoot.  I have had to reschedule twice, both due to weather.  I do most of my work on location.  I have not had an unsatisfied model.

I have had many models no-show for a pre-shoot meeting though.  I have heard all the lame excuses too.

Jun 29 05 01:39 pm Link

Model

BeccaNDSouth

Olympia, Washington, US

Posted by Julia Rocker: 
I am still waiting for 3 Cd's so I am not sure and It has been weeks and months.

That is truly sad. Most models don't get their photos until their look is outdated. Say, for instance, they had their photos done when they had shorter hair, and the photographer doesn't get their shots to them until about 3 or 4 months later...and the model looks different by then. That usually means the shots are useless for anything other than showing what they had done in the past.

Jun 29 05 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

SML photography

San Diego, California, US

well i know personally sometimes i do get backed up but thats maybe a couple of weeks. since i travel alot i'm limited to what my laptop battery will allow me to work on an airplane.  but to answer your question why keep shooting if you owe so many models images. for me, it's just that time of year, where i have every weekend booked solid traveling or shooting bc of the beautiful weather.  this time of year you NEED to shoot while you can.  shooting a fashion model in NYC in the winter is NO picinic.  trust me. 

Jun 29 05 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Studio200

Alameda, California, US

Posted by SML photography: 
but to answer your question why keep shooting if you owe so many models images. for me, it's just that time of year, where i have every weekend booked solid traveling or shooting bc of the beautiful weather.  this time of year you NEED to shoot while you can.  shooting a fashion model in NYC in the winter is NO picinic.  trust me.   

Exactly...! Same for me, in the summer there are a lot more options for outdoor locations and you just want to shoot as much as possible..

Jun 29 05 03:50 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Rebecca Alsbury: 
That is truly sad. Most models don't get their photos until their look is outdated. Say, for instance, they had their photos done when they had shorter hair, and the photographer doesn't get their shots to them until about 3 or 4 months later...and the model looks different by then. That usually means the shots are useless for anything other than showing what they had done in the past. 

Does your look really change that fast? I can still use shots from several years ago. Maybe i jut don't consider and couple inches difference in hair length that big of a deal.

Jun 29 05 03:55 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

With me it's been no shows. Only 3 times did I not deliver pics, but that's because i'm still waiting on payment... From years back.

Jun 29 05 04:30 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Heh, I'm guessing the average runs pretty much the same.

I tend to shoot more often with people I know for a fact I'll get photos from in a timely manner.

Jun 29 05 04:37 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Crouch

San Diego, California, US

I think it is about equall... The number of photographers who do not take it seriously I mean as the number of models who do not... I like to work with models who are headed in a dirrection they can describe... Talk about the shoot before hand and come up with a plan. Poeple who are working toward a goal tend to get their... Peolple who are just having a good time and modeling because a friend said they should.... Waisting everyone's time.  Photographers are the same way. I have worked with great models who are a little gunshy of a photographer that is not refered to them from someone they trust, because they have worked with too many in the past that did not produce what the promissed.

Bottom line,

Every industry has it's challenges. Gett'er Done!!!

Jun 29 05 05:34 pm Link

Model

Posted by marksora: 
mai pen rai

I must admit that my Thai is far worse than my French (and my French is pretty bad!) But I get what you're saying smile

Jun 30 05 02:06 am Link

Photographer

Johnnyotto

Models tend to flake a lot. Especially new ones who don't understand how much competition their is and that this is WORK. I am very good about getting CDs for models within a day or two after we shoot.

Jun 30 05 03:54 am Link

Model

AshleyDanielle

West Hollywood, California, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Rebecca Alsbury: 

yes would be the answer from me. my looks have changed that much

2 years ago I could pass for 14 or 15 easily in a baggy shirt lol and my looks changed from last year, to even 6 months ago. Up to 6 months ago I didn't add highlights to my hair so that made a major difference too.

Depending on the work you are doing, they want fresh work that shows what you look like today and not 6 months ago. If your appearance doesn't change and you look the same as you did several years ago you're lucky. Aging does change the looks and it shows in the face, body, skin texture etc.

I have photos floating out there somewhere I never received and at this point (other then wanting to do that type of shoot again with someone else) I don't need them anymore. Was just a waste of my day and time.

Waiting a few weeks is no big deal. I would rather a photographer give me the photos he wanted done the way he wanted them. I'm willing to wait what ever time frame we discussed along with the ones I requested to have shot. It's when that time passes and passes and no word or response back from emails makes a girl crabby.

One photographer wanted to get a shoot in but was upfront and told me he was going on vacation so I wouldn't see the photos for 8 weeks. That was fine because he was honest with me and I didn't expect them any sooner then that. That's good communication that helps avoid issues. Not hard to write/call and say it's going to take a while longer.
A good photographer is worth waiting on as long as you can see there will be a result in the end.

Jun 30 05 04:40 am Link

Photographer

00Philip00

Vass, North Carolina, US

For me, it's the "no show". All of the subjects have gotten their images within the week, depending on touching up the best ones in PS - It's really difficult to find any "really talented-freelance subjects" to work with & since there's SOOO much opportunity for subjects to get prints/CD's  - if you're a professional photographer that does photography for a living, there's an over-saturation of TFP photographer's that subjects say "Why should I pay for something that I can get for free?" Thank GOD for sports/action in high schools, fashion shows & parents needing photos of their kids or I'd have to sell my photography equipment & find another way to make a living.
WAAAAA, I know, get out the violin smile

PTP

Jun 30 05 10:21 am Link

Model

TabooFitnessModel

Chicago, Illinois, US

I think it depends.  If I cannot make it I try to give the photographer at least 5 to 7 days notice so that he fill the photo shoot slot with another model.  I try to be as professional as possible.  In return I think photographers have been professional about giving me enough notice also if they have to cancel.

Knock on wood I haven't had a problem yet with receiving the CD or photos after a shoot.

Donna

Jun 30 05 11:20 am Link