Forums > General Industry > Enough already . . . model managers

Photographer

Lost Coast Photo

Ferndale, California, US

Can't tell you how many models I've passed over because they list a manager.  If I ever want to deal with another layer of bureaucracy, it will be a registered land-based agency, not some photographer on an ego trip.   

Jul 05 05 11:39 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by ChristianBehr:

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by ChristianBehr: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

Posted by RStephenT: 
Let me put in a personal comment for Joe Perez, he is one of the very very few managers that I have found on the net who is professional, polite, and solves problems instead of creating them.  He's one of the good guys.

Also I have never seen a commercial photographer manage models.  It takes a completely different set of skills to manage models and most of us would do better sticking to picture taking.  Garage Glamour had a big discussion about this topic awhile back...and the overall consesus... photographers take the pictures, agencies manage the talent.

Thanks Rich. You're right on the nose about requiring a different set of skills in order to effectively manage a person, or team. Fortunately, for me, I've had a lot of experience managing people, resources and projects. Not to mention, customer service. However, despite the experience, there were times I can recall when it was challenging and almost downright draining doing it as a part-time thing for four omp models who are also modeling part-time.

If I were a full time commercial Photographer, believe me, I would not take on managing models, because it would be impossible to juggle both responsibilities and do either of them well.

Wonderful, an effective web-manager/photographer.  I'm glad that there's one so that the others can see how it's done correctly.  Just for the sake of those learning to be a webmanager/photographer... I hope you don't mind answering questions.

Joe: Not at all. Even though, I know you're just trying to put a noose around my neck.

1.  I noted the comp cards on your page, so you MUST have worked for a few of the major agencies new faces boards.  It would be irresponsible of a manager to not know what it is that should be on a new face card.  Which agencies did you work with as a photographer?

Joe: If after looking at my comp cards you say that I MUST have worked for a few major agencies, then I'd like to say, thank you very much for the compliment. The fact I haven't worked for any of them speaks a lot about my natural instinct for what it is that should be on a new face card. Thank you very much.

2.  Every manager/agent I've ever known, worked at one of the agencies before opening up their own management offices.  That's how agents/managers learn.  There's really no other way.  Starting at the receptionist's desk and working forward teaches people who's who... and what's what.  How else would you know who the clients even are?  Which of the agencies brought you up?

Joe: Those people you know are fortunate to be in that position and no doubt, they're probably very good at what they do. However, it's not the only way to learn resource management skills. Also, I don't doubt that being in their position, they'll have quick and easy access to the "who's who" library. For others like me, I have to knock harder on the door and knock on many doors, but it's okay, because I've got the patience and the determination. Knowing who the clients are isn't that hard to determine either. Just look around everywhere you see an advertisement, magazine, newsletter, retail store, restaurant, etc. How hard is it to make an appointment for an information interview with the actual business owners, ops managers, art directors, etc? Not very hard at all. One of my simple e-mails went from website all the way up to the Executive in charge of Brand Management at Sony. Knowing how clients engage a provider is a different thing and fortunately for me, having worked at Levi Strauss & Company for five years, I didn't just wear jeans, but learned everything from how they are manufactured, distributed, packaged, delivered, displayed, promoted and marketed. Promotions and Marketing is where you learn who the players are and how they come into play. Not bad for a Programmer eh? It was our responsibility to understand the product, the company and the mission and I'm glad that the culture that existed during my time allowed me to learn all these things. No agency brought me up. I'm one of those guys who would add value to an agency though.

3.  All managers I know have a tight ring of new face bookers that they deal with on a regular basis... which new face boards are you tightest with? 

Joe: Okay, this one I'm not quite familiar with and that might be, because I'm not a Talent scout. For my personal photography endeavors, I scout for new faces everywhere, anywhere and using anything.

I'm sure your answers are going to help many people understand what it takes to really be an effective manager.  You should further mention what the potential disasters could be, as the result of someone engaging in career management without knowing anything about the actual industry.  You could also tell people what to expect when first going to Europe for  development, which traps to avoid when working Asian agency contracts, usage, etc...  I'm glad you're here.

Joe: Thank you. I'm glad to be here. Let me try to answer this question in the same sequence you posed them.

1) What it takes to be an effective Manager?

Answer: Experience, managing people resources, time and budget and knowing how to use people and information management software tools. Flexibility is also key, because in effect, a Model is the Manager's client and it's incumbent upon the Manager to ensure s/he is understanding and satisfying the needs of the client. Researching is also important. In every trade, an effective Manager knows the client's, or employees strengths and areas for improvement. In this case, where the Model is the Manager's client, the Manager should:

- research the audiences and areas the Model work in. For example: If the Model does Glamour work, the Manager should learn about the audience, who they are and where they and if possible, what the key things they look for in a model (required if the model is trying to build a fanbase)
- recognize and understand trends related to the genre the model works in.
- become familiar and experienced with the mechanisms used to promote the Model and, or bring her more exposure.
- (optional) know where to find workshops to help Model develop in areas not just related to Modeling.

The main key thing for the Manager is to understand his client. In this case, the Model. Last, but not least, a Manager should have a great team-player attitude with everyone, but also know when to be firm and how to be firm without pushing away anyone.

2) What the potential disasters could be, as the result of someone engaging in career management without knowing anything about the actual industry.

Answer:
- Lack of, or zero experience Managing anything is the first on the list!
- Inability to learn the language and customs of the industry is next!
- The Manager's inability, or lackadaisical attitude, to find information about and learn about the particulars of the industry, or a facet of the industry the model is focused on.
- The Manager's inability to understand his client's needs, goals and objectives, short and long term plans.
- The Manager's inability to stay abreast of the information regarding the model and the industry, i.e. trends, policies, laws, regulations, etc.
- Last, but not least, is the Manager's ability to communicate with people at all levels. If the Manager has poor written and verbal communications and interpersonal skills, then this person should not be a Manager. S/he will effectively close more doors to opportunity than open them.

3) You could also tell people what to expect when first going to Europe for development, which traps to avoid when working Asian agency contracts, usage, etc...  I'm glad you're here.

Yes, I could, but why? Over 50% of the community has done some traveling to another country at one time, or another. What's the first thing people do when considering traveling abroad?

- Check travel postings by the Government to see if it's even viable to travel to said country.
- Check Passport eligibility and work visa.
- Check immunization shot records to ensure you don't come home with internal bugs.

Now, for a Model going abroad for career development, one has to consider and get information on:

- Language and Culture specifics. If no experience with it, get a reliable translator, or some tool the Model can use to aid in translation. Maybe, even bring in a language tutor.
- Resources in the country a Model can go to for assistance with whatever. Helpful to have a contact, or two in that country. If not, a contact at the U.S. Embassy (this requires looking into the particulars of the Embassy and what help they can provide). Probably, a good idea to brief the model on where s/he can find the Embassy in the first place too.
- Review of any paperwork, i.e. contract with a legal advisor and translator. I would solicit the aid of a legal advisor who has experience with the particulars of that country.
- Verify Travel arrangement, Hotel accomodations and probably a nice convenience to provide her with particulars about that country's public transportation system.

If an Agency is structured as they should be, the Manager's role would be to ensure the personnel handling most of what I mentioned have done their jobs and is coordinating and collating all the information and pre-reqs to go over with the model. But, since I haven't actually worked in an Agency, I can only assume they are providing this level of service, if not better, for their Models.

I probably left out some details, but the ones I covered are basic common sense to me and if I had to actually lay it out as a plan for a Model, believe you me, I'd have other pairs of eyes reviewing it to ensure every angle is covered.

Posted by ChristianBehr:
Thank you for being honest and actually attempting to answer those things.  What's funny to me, is that the real answers to those questions about travel, are like whether or not a programmer can type.  Those are the most simple level questions.  The fact that you don't know, should tell you that you should re-live your Levi's days.  Learn everything, hang up the camera until you actually know what you're doing, and decide which of the two careers you want to persue.  There's really no way to do this with such profound conflicts of interest.

Just curious Christian, what would those real answers to travel be? What were my answers? Fake?

Posted by ChristianBehr:
I'm glad that Lawyers were brought up.  You see, lawyers aren't just people who argue a lot, there's a process.  There's school, studying, an exam, being an associate, etc...  All of these thing prepare a young attorney to know, understand, and respect a system... and help him/her start on level ground.  What do we call someone who was never formally trained as an attorney that likes to argue in criminal court.... something like Inmate Number 14526.

Where are you going with this train of thought? What does it have to do with being a Manager, or how does it relate to the questions you asked?

Posted by ChristianBehr:
Similar to the attorney example, without knowing what it is you should know, there's a title that you share with Flashman.  Just like there are varying levels for the new attorney ( ie. Ambulance chaser, ADA, Partner ), there's a word that describes your efforts.  Let's see... what is the job you're describing?  You have naked women around you for you to use, but you also send them to "work" with others.  You get money from those women - and protect them.  Yup... you sound more like a Model PIMP than a manager.

Hm, I'm not sure who you're addressing, but if that is what a so-called Manager on the Internet is doing, then yes, s/he would be a Pimp. That's not what I'm doing.

Jul 05 05 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

Jeremy DuBrul

Chicago, Illinois, US

MANAGER'S ARE WANNABE PIMPS!

Managers are a joke and are usually operating "outside" of the law.

An Agent actually has to answer to someone, meaning that they are licenced by the state. Managers are schmucks who usually do not know what the hell they are doing, trying to ace me out of rights and trying to make more than their standard 8-10% off of a model.

I rank Managers as low as a PIMP. Any time a model tells me to talk to her Manager, I tell her that I'm not interested in working with her.

Photographers are no managers. Managers usually have no business doing what they do. I've dealt with far too many scumbags in this business and I appologize for creating a broad stroke over the maybe one or two honest ones that may be out there.

I'll talk to a model's parents... boyfriend/ husband/ girlfriend... what ever. I'm a very nice guy and I have very fair contracts. When someone tells me that "I'm her manager..." I'm pretty quick to verbally b!tch slap him.

Jul 05 05 07:10 pm Link

Model

Ms. Isadora V.

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ahhh Boyd,

You have a birthday coming up, don't let unprofessionalism ruin your week.

I personally, believe I am better managing myself, versus depending on someone else.

I look forward to meeting you.

Many Wicked Thoughts,
Ms. Isadora VonPainne

Jul 05 05 07:22 pm Link