Forums > General Industry > Are ppl in La..

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Mean and such!...
I leave for my trip on the 22nd...

And I'm UBER excited and all.. But a little nervous.

Anyone who's been there, or better yet lives there... Have any insight as to what I can expect? smile

Mar 06 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

People are people wherever you go.

Have a great time and don't ask the wrong person to change a $100.00 bill :0

Mar 06 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

InDecisivE wrote:
Mean and such!...

Anyone who's been there, or better yet lives there... Have any insight as to what I can expect? smile

Yes- you should come to Dallas instead!  Im nice- especially to you! ;-)

Mar 06 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Los Angeles, California, US

i'm not THAT mean smile

Mar 06 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

you're asking quite a general question.  i lived there for about 9 months, and found that many people generally conformed to every stereotype of flakiness and self-absorption.  of course, you'll find exceptions, but it may take a while to know if they're being genuine.  fake city.

Mar 06 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

C R Photography wrote:
People are people wherever you go.

Have a great time and don't ask the wrong person to change a $100.00 bill :0

Definately!
But as I see it -LA is a lot more of a 'entertainment'/'art'/'modeling place to be!
Here in Wnterpeg and surrounding areas everything seems pretty easy going, its fun, a hobby, work.. But nothing too stressful!
Possibly i've just worked with good people and for the majority everyone Ive spoken with seems very nice and helpful..
I suppose I just suspect the 'world' over there.. will be a tad bit different than it is here. - And not just couting the fact that you don't have snow smile

Mar 06 06 03:20 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:

Yes- you should come to Dallas instead!  Im nice- especially to you! ;-)

I luv ya 2! I will come, Im just not sure when smile *xoxox

Mar 06 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Christopher Bush wrote:
you're asking quite a general question.  i lived there for about 9 months, and found that many people generally conformed to every stereotype of flakiness and self-absorption.  of course, you'll find exceptions, but it may take a while to know if they're being genuine.  fake city.

This is what I here, and have come to expect..
I'm not judegmental and don't want to make any accusations befor I arrive..
Just a general opinion on the topic is all i'm looking for! smile

Mar 06 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

former_mm_user

New York, New York, US

InDecisivE wrote:

This is what I here, and have come to expect..
I'm not judegmental and don't want to make any accusations befor I arrive..
Just a general opinion on the topic is all i'm looking for! smile

i didn't want to sound too negative (although i did feel quite negative when i was there, and couldn't wait to get to ny!), so here is my list of the good things about la:

-if you like sushi, hit little tokyo.  specifically, check out a place called sushi gen in the honda plaza
-the good luck bar in los feliz
-the short stop bar in silverlake (a little too much trucker hat, but they have a photo booth)
-armenian girls
-lots of bowling alleys
-lots of free movie screenings

there's more, but this is a good start smile

Mar 06 06 03:30 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Christopher Bush wrote:

i didn't want to sound too negative (although i did feel quite negative when i was there, and couldn't wait to get to ny!), so here is my list of the good things about la:

-if you like sushi, hit little tokyo.  specifically, check out a place called sushi gen in the honda plaza
-the good luck bar in los feliz
-the short stop bar in silverlake (a little too much trucker hat, but they have a photo booth)
-armenian girls
-lots of bowling alleys
-lots of free movie screenings

there's more, but this is a good start smile

I'm hoping I have time for some of this!
For sure - I'm visiting the San Diego zoo!! smile
As for LA, i'm hoping to hit at least 1 club, and a few interesting resteraunts! I won't have much time for the 'tourist' thing... Mostly work.

Mar 06 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

Christopher Bush wrote:

chris, i'm sure that rings true with ANY city.  even NY.  and living somewhere for 9 months doesn't qualify you to make such a judgement.  you have to stay at least 10 months.

smile

Mar 06 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jose Luis

Dallas, Texas, US

I lived in LA for most of my life (well between OC and LA).  People in Dallas are much more friendly on average.

I think InDecisive should come see me in Dallas instead!  :-)

Mar 06 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

Jasmin Enedina

Vista, California, US

while i don't live in L.A. i do visit often and i love it. so many things/people to see/look at. go with a good attitude and you should be fine.
but like it was said before, people are people- you'll find the nice ones and then you'll run into complete assholes and that's when you flip em off. smile

Mar 06 06 03:41 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Jose- JoseOnline wrote:
I lived in LA for most of my life (well between OC and LA).  People in Dallas are much more friendly on average.

I think InDecisive should come see me in Dallas instead!  :-)

Aww - Now I feel bad!
I'll come see ya Jose - I give you my word!

Mar 06 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

having lived in NY LA SF DALLAS and many other cities I can say

you get what you make of it...for the most part.

In NY you ask the wrong person for directions you get FU
ask the right person you get directions

In LA ask the wrong person for directions you get ignored

In SF you ask the wrong person for directoin you get "I dont know"
ask the right person you get "Im not sure"

basically if you are only going for a week then you have nothing to worry about.
just have fun.
if you are moving there. well....if you go to LA with preconceived ideas of fakeness flakiness and otherwise self absortion.... when you find someone that's not... you are pleasantly surprised and have a happy day.  for the most part LA is like this:

people want to know you for who you know.  and they will be more than happy to treat you like a king or queen until they get what they want. 

LESSON:
NEVER GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE TREATED LIKE A KING OR A QUEEN!  SMILE A LOT AND DON'T GET INTO RUMOR MILLS. its a social killer. as they say "Like everyone, trust no one". at least thats what they say. wink

Mar 06 06 03:46 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

FabioTovar wrote:
having lived in NY LA SF DALLAS and many other cities I can say

you get what you make of it...for the most part.

In NY you ask the wrong person for directions you get FU

In LA ask the wrong person for directions you get ignored

In SF you ask the wrong person for directoin you get "I dont know"
ask the right person you get "Im not sure"

basically if you are only going for a week then you have nothing to worry about.
just have fun.
if you are moving there. well....if you go to LA with preconceived ideas of fakeness flakiness and otherwise self absortion.... when you find someone that's not... you are pleasantly surprised and have a happy day.  for the most part LA is like this:

people want to know you for who you know.  and they will be more than happy to treat you like a king or queen until they get what they want. 

LESSON:
NEVER GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE TREATED LIKE A KING OR A QUEEN!  SMILE A LOT AND DON'T GET INTO RUMOR MILLS. its a social killer. as they say "Like everyone, trust no one". at least thats what they say. wink

I'll be sure to take that with me on my trip!
Thank you.

Mar 06 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Rent a car. Ask some people you know or are familiar with to stomp around with you. Don't go to the airport with a Bowie knife. Leave your preconceptions at home and take the experience as it comes. Avoid the 405. Don't join a gang. Ask Sean Armenta where the parties are at.

Actually, I think there is a MM get together put on by Select Models in Orange County on the 24th. Maybe you'll meet brand new friends!!!

Mar 06 06 05:07 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

megafunk wrote:
Rent a car. Ask some people you know or are familiar with to stomp around with you. Don't go to the airport with a Bowie knife. Leave your preconceptions at home and take the experience as it comes. Avoid the 405. Don't join a gang. Ask Sean Armenta where the parties are at.

Actually, I think there is a get together put on by Select (?) in Orange County on the 24th. Maybe you'll meet brand new friends!!!

LOL.. I'm not sure about the renting a car ordeal - It's been mentioned befor, but I'm not sure I would have any chance in hell at finding my way around!!...

I'll try not to join a gang... I'll talk to Sean about the parties... and maybe i'll make the one on the 24th! haha - thanks!

Mar 06 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

I have lived here for 20+ years.  I wouldn't live anywhere else.

First you will find better weather here (that is true, almost no matter where you are coming from).  300+ great days a year.

Next, don't plan on mass transit to get anywhere...can't be done.  And taxis are expensive, since nothing is close.  The car rental or better friends with a car is required.

But there are certainly lots of fun things to do.  You will have a great time, as long as you don't become a hermit. 

You don't say where you will be in LA.  That makes a difference.  You can find almost anything here...you just have to look or know someone.  There are good and bad areas...safe and unsafe areas...rich areas, very rich areas...and very poor areas.  Doesn't help too much, huh?

Message me if you want to know any specifics.

Mar 06 06 05:29 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

I'm staying with 2, maybe 3 different photographers while I'm there..

David Hickey in San Juan,
Jeffery Scott - in somewhere.. lol.....

And possibly another - if I can find someone I am comfortable enough closer to 'LA'....

I'm also staying in Imperial Beach just outside of San Diego.

Mar 06 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

don't forget to visit me in santa monica.  i'll make you tacos if you like.   = )

Mar 06 06 05:38 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

megafunk wrote:

Actually, I think there is a MM get together put on by Select Models in Orange County on the 24th. Maybe you'll meet brand new friends!!!

LMAO funky!

Mar 06 06 05:39 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

half element wrote:
don't forget to visit me in santa monica.  i'll make you tacos if you like.   = )

Mmm.. Tacos. LOL.

Mar 06 06 05:40 pm Link

Model

You'll have fun smile Just have everything planned and scheduled before you get on the plane wink Otherwise there are plenty of opportunities to hope for while here...

Last march was my first visit (outside LAX ha ha!) to LA. I expected sunny, warm California, beautiful people, horrible traffic, great Mexican food - "you know, like, the movies" - for the most those were all wrong wink Ok I favor the Mexican I find in Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia (there is one awesome spot in Atlanta tongue )... but you can't beat the Thai, Chinese, Korean, Japanese Sushi etc. of LA ... hm, I'm hungry wink Beware that the Pacific is cold but coming from Manitoba it may feel warm to you!

Then I moved here - living versus visiting is different - I love where I live smile

I may be moving again! Right now it looks like Miami, Florida will be my new home in a few months

Mar 06 06 05:45 pm Link

Photographer

Far West Imaging

Laguna Hills, California, US

You aren't really staying in LA...you will be in Orange County and San Diego most of the time...much different, and soooo much nicer.  You will have a great time.  Just ask your hosts where to go and what to do.  But you will definately need a car to get around.  Don't even consider taxis nor bus/train/etc,  except if you are going from San Juan Capistrano to downtown LA, then the train works.  Or SJC to San Diego.

You are going to enjoy your stay.

Mar 06 06 05:47 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Far West Imaging wrote:
You aren't really staying in LA...you will be in Orange County and San Diego most of the time...much different, and soooo much nicer.  You will have a great time.  Just ask your hosts where to go and what to do.  But you will definately need a car to get around.  Don't even consider taxis nor bus/train/etc,  except if you are going from San Juan Capistrano to downtown LA, then the train works.  Or SJC to San Diego.

You are going to enjoy your stay.

The only train experience i've considered is from San Diego to SJC! I've been told it isn't too bad! smile

Mar 06 06 05:51 pm Link

Photographer

Giacomo Cirrincioni

Stamford, Connecticut, US

If you ever find yourself headed to the NYC area, let me know!

All the best,

Matt

Mar 06 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Imagery by joeycee

nah.  l.a. people are not mean as long as you don't let them know you're from manitoba. smile  to fit right in, make sure you drive around in a convertible, always be on your cellphone, and carry a chihuahua around as an accessory.  smile

Mar 06 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

c s e

InDecisivE wrote:

And possibly another - if I can find someone I am comfortable enough closer to 'LA'....

I'm also staying in Imperial Beach just outside of San Diego.

you're not even staying in l.a..  it's like asking people what new york city is like, but staying in jersey.  if you are visiting san juan and san diego, you might as well be in oklahoma (or dallas). 

p.s.  i like your work on both sides.

Mar 06 06 06:25 pm Link

Photographer

c s e

InDecisivE wrote:
Mean and such!...

damn, didn't intend to sound mean and such.  just disappointed that you would come so close, and not all the way.  it's the most wonderful city (in southern california).  be sure and visit venice beach.

peace out premier.

Mar 06 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Davis

San Diego, California, US

Hey, I'm in San Diego!  *waves hello* smile

Mar 06 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

MartinCoatesIV

Panama City Beach, Florida, US

InDecisivE wrote:
Mean and such!...

La or L.A., cause I live in La and the excitment here is closed for lint, be back after easter.

Martin IV

Mar 06 06 06:49 pm Link

Model

MartinCoatesIV wrote:
La or L.A., cause I live in La and the excitment here is closed for lint, be back after easter

LOL so true

Mar 06 06 06:52 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Runyan

Valencia, New Mexico, US

Hey..  Im in L.A.  ...Hollywood to be exact.  They say everyone that moves to L.A. hates it the first year and a half...its too busy..crazy..tafic is awful...you hear all this.  Im from San Diego..not to far.  But very far as attitudes and lifestyle are concerned.  Ive been here sence 1998.  I really love bieng here.  Ill always miss San Diego..but I go there whenever i want..its only 3hrs south.   Anyway..there is alot of great contacts to be made.  ive been going to alot of clubs meeting people..it beenalot of fun and Ive met alot of people.  Come here..get your name on some club lists..which is easy..ask me if you wanna know.  Talk and make connections.  Set up a myspace...its the hottest way to stay in touch now.  Ive made 3 contacts this week in the music end of things.  I manage a band in San Diego and am getting them up in Hollywood playing big local gigs like The Roxxy and The Viperroom.  Its a very fast city..no lie.  But you blood starts flowing a bit faster after awile and you catch up.  If you need anything feel free to contact me.  Im always around the area shooting ar what not.
take it easy and good luck
-Paul

Mar 06 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

- null -

Whatever you do, stay away from slimy, wanna-be-prettyboy photographers who look like this:

https://myspace-548.vo.llnwd.net/00315/84/58/315628548_l.jpg

Bastards can't be trusted. Seedy perverts. All of us ... er, them. I mean all of them.

Mar 06 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

D U A R T E

The scene...

I grew up here and sometimes I just want to kill everyone who lives in the "first stop" and I'm talking about the area within  La Cienega, La Brea, Wilshire and Sunset.  Lots of people from everywhere else live there and make it really annoying for the rest of us who have to work here. 

Best advice...the coolest people and places are completely hidden.  You could drive by the best photo studio or restaurant everyday and never know it from the outside.  Find an insider, rent a car, do some research and you'll be fine.  Cool neighborhoods....Venice, Silver Lake, Los Feliz, South Pasadena.  Gentrified hoods Santa Monica, Pasadena and Brentwood.

Find a friend the first day and start in Olvera St. (downtown) and drive west on Sunset all the way to the ocean you'll see everything that L.A. has to offer.  From homeless people to the idle rich.

One street....says it all.

Mar 06 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

area291

Calabasas, California, US

Spend any time in LA and the lyrics ring so true...

--------------
Everybody’s a dreamer and everybody’s a star
And everybody’s in show biz, it doesn’t matter who you are.

And those who are successful,
Be always on your guard,
Success walks hand in hand with failure
Along Hollywood Boulevard...

You can see all the stars as you walk along Hollywood Boulevard,
Some that you recognise, some that you’ve hardly even heard of,
People who worked and suffered and struggled for fame,
Some who succeeded and some who suffered in vain...

...A fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes,
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
And celluloid heroes never really die.

--The Kinks

Mar 06 06 07:56 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

megafunk wrote:
I think there is a MM get together put on by Select Models in Orange County on the 24th. Maybe you'll meet brand new friends!!!

Dude... it's on March 25, not the 24th... but that's OK... you're ALL invited and it's FREE admission... WooHoo!  Gary is buyin all female models that show up to the party and photographers that come to his photoshoot that same day FREE pizza... whatta guy!  How can U be more friendly than that?... wink

Mar 06 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Landra Lee Photography

InDecisivE wrote:

You can hang out with me! We can do a girls night out to the clubs, I haven't done that in WAY too long. Would be fun! And I have an extra room if you need to crash!

Mar 06 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

OMG-oodness..

I'm getting overwhelmed! smile

So much to do, so little time... I should have had a one way ticket.

Mar 06 06 08:43 pm Link