Forums > General Industry > wanting to start a fight :)

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

adrienne of Zswana wrote:

I'm a pritty model.

Order of importance: Photographer, model. No one else needed.

https://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

Mar 05 06 08:33 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mary wrote:

yea but if you vote off the makeup artist youre stuck with a model you may rather not shoot smile

do you know how many times I have heard "oh thank god you're here, wait till you see the model!"https://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

Ok, that's f__ked up. I'm feel bad for the poor girl that you are bad mouthing. Make-up shouldn't change the entire way that you look. If the model looks that bad- how is she a model in the first place? A good make-up artist isn't available for every shoot.

Mar 05 06 08:35 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Mary wrote:

https://bestsmileys.com/lol/5.gif

I knew you would say something to that, but you managed to say nothing. I do my own make-up most of the time and I would rather do it because I've had it done badly as many times as I have had it done well. The only thing an MUA can do that I haven't mastered is fake eyelashes.

Mar 05 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Mary wrote:

yea but if you vote off the makeup artist youre stuck with a model you may rather not shoot smile

do you know how many times I have heard "oh thank god you're here, wait till you see the model!"https://bestsmileys.com/scared/8.gif

best line I ever heard...

MUA.....When does the talent get here?
AD........We couldn't afford talent, the warm bodies will be here at 9:00

Mar 05 06 08:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Dan  Hood  MM/Moderator wrote:
best line I ever heard...

MUA.....When does the talent get here?
AD........We couldn't afford talent, the warm bodies will be here at 9:00

MUA....  Are you sure  they're still warm? (puts on gloves, turns to assistant)....Scalpel and putty please.......

Mar 05 06 08:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

pritty model doing her own makeup  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fModq_rvNMk&eurl

Mar 05 06 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

UdoR wrote:
Even the model is not getting THAT much paid... unless, it's one of the few supermodels, only the supermodel is getting more paid than anybody else.
UdoR

None of the Supermodels ever made as much as Avedon for a day rate....

Mar 05 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Mary wrote:

MUA....  Are you sure  they're still warm? (puts on gloves, turns to assistant)....Scalpel and putty please.......

A MUA gal I knew several years ago did a lot of business with a mortuary.............................

Mar 05 06 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Hamza wrote:

None of the Supermodels ever made as much as Avedon for a day rate....

Oh? I am sorry... I didn't think that we are including "Gods" in this discussion... big_smile

Mar 05 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
yah but what if the make-up artist was like Rick Baker of Dick Smith ( make-up Artist living Gods)( if you dont know who they are think,, think original and new Planet of the Apes and what not ,so many I can name them all.) ??? then wouldnt they be the most important person and the shoot would be about the make-up

Without an MUA on Planet of the Apes, the movie would have still been done and done well, the Director would have simply used CGI!

Mar 05 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Intermission

San Francisco, California, US

UdoR wrote:
Okay... let's make a comparison, take a ship...

Everybody is important... but who has the most responsibility and is getting paid to keep it all working together?

It's the captain!

Same thing on a photoshoot... all parts work together, but who is the one PUTTING it all together?

It's the photographer.

If you don't belief me, then take a look at the payscale...

The one who is getting paid the most, probably more than all the other ones COMBINED is the photographer.

Even the model is not getting THAT much paid... unless, it's one of the few supermodels, only the supermodel is getting more paid than anybody else.

So, I am not wanting to start a fight, and the final product is what counts... but to get there... the photographer is usually asked to put the team together and bills the client for the time and work of the participants.

Just a few thoughts...

UdoR

I have to agree. On a shoot the photographer is the captain and the leader of the ship except if you are working for companies who have creative directors and producers who handle shoots from beginning to finish and the photographers is just a player and not the captain.

Depends on certain factors of who is the most in demand person in the shoot
1) If the model is a supermodel, she is the one around whom everything revolves
2) If the photographer is the one who is the start then he is the one

My 0.02
:-)

Mar 05 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Models, photographers, stylists, MUAs, hair stylists, art directors, clients, etc., etc., etc....they're all easy to find--and they're all replaceable.

What's important is the consumer/audience.  They make all the above necessary.

Mar 05 06 11:09 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mary wrote:
pritty model doing her own makeup  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fModq_rvNMk&eurl

LOL... and I thought the Herbal Essence girls were having fun.

Mar 06 06 08:21 am Link

Model

shellyradley

Dublin, Dublin, Ireland

I certainly do not think I am the most important on a shoot I am just there as another tool..

I don't think you could ever define the most important person unless there is a purpose.

the photographer for me will always be number one but no nessessarrily the most important...

gosh i hope that makes sense

Mar 06 06 08:45 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

I vote photographer, because the photographer makes or breaks the shoot. No MUA, no model, no nothing, can save a photographer who's not on top of his game. ("He said with bitter knowledge.") OTOH, a great photographer can find SOME way to make *ANYTHING* photogenic. There's nobody so ugly, so poorly made up, or so badly lit (assuming there's enough flux to get a capture of whatever sort) that you can't make an interesting photograph of it if you have the gift.

With great power comes great responsibility.

M

Mar 06 06 10:47 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Brandon Ching wrote:
LOL... and I thought the Herbal Essence girls were having fun.

I dont think many people here watched the video I linked...too bad, most would have recognized the work of David La Chappelle.

Mar 06 06 05:23 pm Link