Forums > General Industry > "Pre-touching" vs. retouching--Photoshop overuse?

Photographer

AU fotografia

Houston, Texas, US

Jerry Bennett wrote:

Those pics are an example of what NOT to do in Photoshop to me. Scary plastic kiddies are coming to get you!

yeah, i agree with you that kid is horrible looking after the 'improvemtns'' EWWWW

Mar 05 06 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

DeathbyNew-Wave wrote:
I completely agree that a ton of photographers use digital and photoshop to fill their lack of talent.So many people these days think that just because they own a digital camera that they're a photographer and get away with charging people for their very crappy images;Whereas I went to school for four years to learn what I could about photography, and did so without ever using digital.Photoshop is fun for an artsy effect,

Jim Fiscus.
Max V
Michael Rosen
Jeffery Scott

I agree that many photographers use digital manipulatin to supplement their vision. Some of those photographers don't know lighting--and some do. Some of them are poor "in-camera photographers"--and some are great.

Making it sound as though only the incompetent use digital manipulation is as silly as believing Photoshop is only good for artsy effects.

Mar 05 06 08:10 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Bridgett Washington

Dallas, Texas, US

As a make-up artist I have seen horrible make up made flawless with touch up. I have also seen some of my work destroyed by over retouching. It all depends on the skill of the person doing the retouching

Mar 05 06 09:36 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

ok here is an exercise I made and posted on deviantart on May 28, 2005:

https://inwail.com/gallery/lcretouch.jpg

wasnt trying to be disrespectful or trying to fix the natural beauty of the model. was just practicing some stuff I learned that time. and that got me a job as a retoucher for a while.

and it changed the way I look at photographs. and now I tend to use the word "image" instead of photograph. I'll never call myself a photographer but there is not a title here that suits better.

nothing is easy. being a photographer isnt easy, being a model isnt easy, being a photoshopper isnt easy, being a stylist isnt easy.

we are all trying to do something we love, creating "images" this way or that way. some sell them and buy expensive cars instead of a six pack but who cares. we enjoy, we love.

thats it.

:cheers:

Mar 05 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

CREATIVE MEDIA IMAGES

Enterprise, Alabama, US

the photographer that does not learn photoshop will be left behind.
that is why i practice all the time. the more i use, it the more i learn.
its fun...........

Mar 05 06 10:15 pm Link

Photographer

Matt Wyant Photograpy

BOISE, Idaho, US

Photoshop, just like a camera, lights, a can of hairspray, a shade of lipstick, the most flattering top, a pose, or a smile, are all tools. Tools that have abilities and limitations, and that are employed by artists to create something. I have never heard of painters being criticized for an overuse of paint, so why do I hear so much noise about Photoshop?

I envy makeup artists because the word 'artist' is right there in their title. I hope that my work is judged by the final result (regardless of it's 'reality') as art, not because I used a healing brush to remove a freckle.

Can/Is/Was Photoshop overused? A completely subjective question, completely dependent on the work being discussed. Might as well ask the world if Jackson Pollack was a good painter. I think he's an overpaid hack, but I understand that's my opinion, and that that my friends that believe he's Christ returned, have equally valid opinions.

We're photographers because we use cameras, they're painters because they use paint. We're all artists, and we should judge the art, not the tools.

Mar 06 06 02:46 am Link

Photographer

JKY Photo

New York, New York, US

Photoshop IS overused these days but who am i to say anything, all of my images that I've shot in the past 3-4 years have some photoshop applied to them.  The worst thing about photoshop is that I have art directors that basically tell me we got the shot and stop a certain scene because they say my digi-tech just said that he "can photoshop that out later".  I personally have no problem with it but sometimes I find myself not shooting as many images that I like to or as I used to with film just because I know I can go back with my digi-tech and "photoshop it out later".  I have to admit though photoshop has saved me alot of time and money as opposed to the past.  It also allows me to charge my clients while I go play golf during the "post processing and retouching." mea culpa, mea mea culpa.  Photoshop in my opinion is a blessing and a curse, but no matter what its here to stay unless everyone who complains about photoshop is willing to never use it again...ever.

Mar 06 06 05:54 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Dslexic Phography wrote:
Photoshop IS overused these days but who am i to say anything, all of my images that I've shot in the past 3-4 years have some photoshop applied to them.  The worst thing about photoshop is that I have art directors that basically tell me we got the shot and stop a certain scene because they say my digi-tech just said that he "can photoshop that out later".  I personally have no problem with it but sometimes I find myself not shooting as many images that I like to or as I used to with film just because I know I can go back with my digi-tech and "photoshop it out later".  I have to admit though photoshop has saved me alot of time and money as opposed to the past.  It also allows me to charge my clients while I go play golf during the "post processing and retouching." mea culpa, mea mea culpa.  Photoshop in my opinion is a blessing and a curse, but no matter what its here to stay unless everyone who complains about photoshop is willing to never use it again...ever.

Excellent post on the cost-benefit aspect of Photoshop.  Retouching has been around "forever," but Photoshop 1) has taken it to a complete new level, and 2) it has put retouching into the hands of many more people.  As pointed out in so many posts on this thread, Photoshop can become a crutch that allows techno-phillic photographers to ignore some basics of excellent photography.

Photoshop and its coming derivants are here to stay, however, as with all art forms, world-class excellence in both photography and digital manipulation will be accomplished by few.

Mar 06 06 06:25 am Link

Photographer

JKY Photo

New York, New York, US

I'm reading and writing this while I sit here "working" here with my digi tech "post processing" images at 5AM hahaa eating jack in the box.  My digi tech and I were going through some images that an assistant who can light the shit out of anything and photoshop god in and make you believe he's eating a taco in Mexico but cant compose a proper image to save his life.  My digi tech is the same way he can photoshop the hell out of anything and clean up things that you had no idea existed but you would believe his personal images were taken by a blind person. 

The point that I'm trying to make is that I totally agree with UNIVERSAL that photoshop has given every GWC,GUY/GIRL WITH a CAMERA who has no knowledge of what their doing or the basic skills, the ability to make quality images.  Again a curse and a blessing, to give the common person the ability to create something beautiful in their eyes but basically screwing it up for the rest of us who do this and day trade for a living hahaha Have you looked on craigslist lately....point said.

Mar 06 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Dslexic Phography wrote:
I'm reading and writing this while I sit here "working" here with my digi tech "post processing" images at 5AM hahaa eating jack in the box.  My digi tech and I were going through some images that an assistant who can light the shit out of anything and photoshop god in and make you believe he's eating a taco in Mexico but cant compose a proper image to save his life.  My digi tech is the same way he can photoshop the hell out of anything and clean up things that you had no idea existed but you would believe his personal images were taken by a blind person. 

The point that I'm trying to make is that I totally agree with UNIVERSAL that photoshop has given every GWC,GUY/GIRL WITH a CAMERA who has no knowledge of what their doing or the basic skills, the ability to make quality images.  Again a curse and a blessing, to give the common person the ability to create something beautiful in their eyes but basically screwing it up for the rest of us who do this and day trade for a living hahaha Have you looked on craigslist lately....point said.

Dslexic:
.it appreciate I, Thanks  smile

Mar 06 06 08:40 am Link

Model

Nocturnity

Fayetteville, Arkansas, US

http://glennferon.com/portfolio1/portfolio01.html

this is just scary.  Skin isnt supposed to be one pigment.  These people look like theyre wearing funeral parlor makeup

Mar 08 06 10:29 am Link

Photographer

First Shot Studios

Rochester, New York, US

I knew so many kids in school who would half-ass their shoot to save 10 min by not getting the lighting right or whatever, and then spend HOURS on the computer trying to fix it all.  Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in the idea of getting it right in the camera.  Obviously PS is great for true retouching, or digital imaging compositing, etc but all else being equal, its always faster, cheaper and easier to get it right in the camera than to try to work miracles later (I will admit though, in a very select few's hands, PS CAN work miracles).

Patrick

Mar 09 06 01:55 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I'm a big fan of Photoshop when used properly. Some are so ridiculously edited that it stops looking attractive and starts looking cartoon animated (i.e. refer to a website listed by a tog under this post on the first page - yikes!) I'm not keen to jump onboard there but I definitely think a bit of a photoshop can really improve an image, particulary when a little thing is overlooked at the time on the shoot. That one oversight can take that picture from 'perfect' to 'quite good except...'. I think it's a fantastic idea to correct small errors and even to use it to make an image a little more unique. I had one pic where I was lifting a sheet up in the air and the tog photoshopped it to look like I was flying through the sky using the sheet as my wings. So those little things make for some great photos too. I love Photoshop!

Mar 09 06 04:10 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

I'm a big fan of Photoshop when used properly. Some are so ridiculously edited that it stops looking attractive and starts looking cartoon animated (i.e. refer to a website listed by a tog under this post on the first page - yikes!) I'm not keen to jump onboard there but I definitely think a bit of a photoshop can really improve an image, particulary when a little thing is overlooked at the time on the shoot. That one oversight can take that picture from 'perfect' to 'quite good except...'. I think it's a fantastic idea to correct small errors and even to use it to make an image a little more unique. I had one pic where I was lifting a sheet up in the air and the tog photoshopped it to look like I was flying through the sky using the sheet as my wings. So those little things make for some great photos too. I love Photoshop!

Mar 09 06 04:12 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

And I'm so passionate about it that I posted it twice....sorry guys! smile

Mar 09 06 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

First Shot Studios wrote:
I knew so many kids in school who would half-ass their shoot to save 10 min by not getting the lighting right or whatever, and then spend HOURS on the computer trying to fix it all.  Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in the idea of getting it right in the camera.  Obviously PS is great for true retouching, or digital imaging compositing, etc but all else being equal, its always faster, cheaper and easier to get it right in the camera than to try to work miracles later (I will admit though, in a very select few's hands, PS CAN work miracles).

Patrick

Patrick:
I do agree!  Maximum "pre-touching" means less retouching.  It IS a cost-benefit choice: some little things are easier to Photoshop than to slave over during the shoot, and nothing beats Photoshop for finishing touches.  On the other hand, as the old saw says, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."  Photoshop can easily turn into a crutch for poor photography--especially for those enamored by the technology.

The combination of a great photographer, who is also expert in Photoshop, is a rare gem!

Mar 09 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

First Shot Studios wrote:
I knew so many kids in school who would half-ass their shoot to save 10 min by not getting the lighting right or whatever, and then spend HOURS on the computer trying to fix it all.  Call me old fashioned, but I still believe in the idea of getting it right in the camera.  Obviously PS is great for true retouching, or digital imaging compositing, etc but all else being equal, its always faster, cheaper and easier to get it right in the camera than to try to work miracles later

"All else being equal" rarely is, and it's not always faster, cheaper, OR easier to get it right in camera than fix it later, much less all three.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe in the idea of getting the best results possible in the least expensive fashion.

Sometimes spending 10 minutes more in lighting, propping, or styling will save hours in post.

Sometimes spending 10 minutes more in post will save hours in lighting, propping, or styling.

Knowing which situations are which will permit you to save a lot of time--and therefore money--while maintaining the same quality.

** Edit ** Darn. Universal Beauty beat me to it by 19 seconds. sad

Mar 09 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Kevin Connery wrote:

"All else being equal" rarely is, and it's not always faster, cheaper, OR easier to get it right in camera than fix it later, much less all three.

Call me old fashioned, but I believe in the idea of getting the best results possible in the least expensive fashion.

Sometimes spending 10 minutes more in lighting, propping, or styling will save hours in post.

Sometimes spending 10 minutes more in post will save hours in lighting, propping, or styling.

Knowing which situations are which will permit you to save a lot of time--and therefore money--while maintaining the same quality.

** Edit ** Darn. Universal Beauty beat me to it by 19 seconds. sad

Kevin:

LOL!  Hey, look at my lead photo.  With Calamity Jane in my gang, I HAVE to be quick on the trigger!

All seriousness aside, it is obvious we are on the same freq., pards  smile

Bob

Mar 09 06 04:40 am Link