Forums > General Industry > "Pre-touching" vs. retouching--Photoshop overuse?

Photographer

Universal Beauty

E L Fanucchi wrote:
Try envisioning the final image w PS enhancements
before you take the shot .... and then you are a photo artisan.

E L

Excellent advice!

Mar 04 06 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Jim Sharp

Paxton, Illinois, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
It's not just fashion photography. I feel Photoshop is being drastically misused in photography in general. I've seen shots of scenes and moments that don't exist - sky from one place, mountains from another, a foreground from someplace else. I've seen backgrounds swapped out and the consequent images passed off as photos. I've seen arms and chins and waistlines thinned out, T&A digitally augmented, eyes and teeth overwhitened to the point of glowing, and pores indiscriminately erased.

I believe that Photoshop is a great way to work around the technical challenges of photography, just as the darkroom was. I don't believe it should grossly compensate for logistical oversights though. There's magic in seeing everything come together in the viewfinder, but it's artificial doing it on the computer.

My work in Photoshop is limited to cloning out what makeup can't fix (acne, bites, scratches, etc), D&B, resizing, and sharpening, with the occasional exposure and panoramic blend. I'm a firm believer in creating via shooting, not from software.

Exactly.

Mar 04 06 08:55 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Every time I see this issue brought up there are always comparisons to images abused by PS.  Well, there are also bad makeup jobs and bad lighting.  How about we address the subject from the prospective of a good image.  Puritans will always argue against and digital artist will take it beyond the photograph.  For the rest of the world, PS is just a tool.  There have always been tools.  Whether it is using nylon over the lens or the latest makeup foundation. A photographer should only be concerned about the final image.  Regardless how well the makeup and lighting are, at certain lenses and apertures some softening will be needed.  I could add a filter or click the mouse and equally argue the merits of each.  It is also an issue of time.  A good MUA and you spend a few minutes in post, without one 15-30 min.  Then again, when you are ready to shoot that sunset beach shot and a paper cup blows into view, it is a lot easier and quicker to remove in post then to walk on undisturbed sand and repair.

The real question should not be whether to pre or post. It should be “What are the benefits and best usages of each?â€?

Mar 04 06 06:48 pm Link

Model

InDecisivE

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

As a model - I prefer not to be edited until i'm paris hilton...

I like looking at a photo and knowing it's still me - for work, and such I understand the "perfect" thing... All my flaws so generously erased...

And I mean little things are good - maybe even out my skin - get rid of "un-necessary" marks... But overall - I want to see what the picture was - not what it was made to be....

Then there are people like Jeffery Scott - who is amazing - and creates making something nothing like it was - who I respect!...

I think I'm just not overly impressed with the inbetween - the "I swear she's a barbie" - I moved her legs, took 2 inches off her waist, gave her doubble D's, changed her hair color, and called her Fee-Fee... Most of that is unnecessary - just get a diff. model - neutral

Mar 04 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

InDecisivE wrote:
As a model - I prefer not to be edited until i'm paris hilton...

I like looking at a photo and knowing it's still me - for work, and such I understand the "perfect" thing... All my flaws so generously erased...

And I mean little things are good - maybe even out my skin - get rid of "un-necessary" marks... But overall - I want to see what the picture was - not what it was made to be....

Then there are people like Jeffery Scott - who is amazing - and creates making something nothing like it was - who I respect!...

I think I'm just not overly impressed with the inbetween - the "I swear she's a barbie" - I moved her legs, took 2 inches off her waist, gave her doubble D's, changed her hair color, and called her Fee-Fee... Most of that is unnecessary - just get a diff. model - neutral

Fully agree!  Playboy, for example, refuses to accept any and all submissions in digital format.  Polaroids, believe it or not, are preferred.  First generation transparencies (slides) are also good, especially if accompanied by a few 'roids.

Come south to the tropical paradise smile of Indiana!

Mar 04 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

byReno wrote:
Well, there are also bad makeup jobs and bad lighting.  How about we address the subject from the prospective of a good image.

I like that.  I have to say that I've seen as much under processed images as I've seen over processed images.

Mar 04 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

When was photoshop created?

How long before Photoshop was photography done?

Long before photoshop, people were getting images "right."  Now, we have a slightly different standard.  Photoshop is a tool for enhancing images.  It's not a tool for creating them.  Creating is done long before the image goes into the computer.

Mar 04 06 10:46 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

easyonthe eyes wrote:
Whatever. Before there were cameras, you had to use paint (some of us still do). You're saying you take offense to paintings that aren't photorealistic portraits?

I don't take offense to paintings because they're done by painters, not photographers. Apples to oranges.

Mar 05 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

VirtuaMike wrote:
I don't take offense to paintings because they're done by painters, not photographers. Apples to oranges.

Do you take offense to George Hurrell's portraits? W. Eugene Smith's Minimata series? Jerry Uelsmann's work?

Mar 05 06 02:24 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Alright, now, let's get this thread back on track!!  smile

So far, the overwhelming majority of posts see Photoshop as a tool to be used sparingly, in most cases, to do final touch up on photos, as opposed to taking crummy shots and "putting lipstick on a pig."

Haven't heard from many ladies.
Who wants to take the other side?  Start with "nothing," and do it all in Photoshop.

Mar 05 06 04:39 am Link

Photographer

Isaac Klotz

Oakland, California, US

i usually shoot a white wall and then alter each pixel as i see fit...

Mar 05 06 05:10 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

If you're shooting for realism and want everything to look natural, then yeah, it helps to have makeup, hair styling, etc. Of course you have to get light right.  you should always strive for that. If one fails in the basics of light and photography and tries to fix it in the mix, that will never guarantee a good image. A great image, for me, is the starting point...

I personally use PS and similar tools to finish the image I have in my mind's eye. I don;t think of myself primarily as a photographer, as using the camera is the least of what I do to conceive and create my final images. The ideas, visions (and yes, I can previsualize a final image as I did using the Zone system in b&w), lighting, locations, personalities of the subjects, their attitudes, moods and usage of the image all affect how I am going to process and enhance the final image.

Looking through my portfolio you can see growth, experimentation, minimal post work, definite post work, some images where you just can't tell, and the types and severity of tools used changes as I decide where I want to take my images. I will continue to grow and learn, rather than stagnate and make uninteresting images. I can't paint, I can't draw freehand, but I can take images right the first time and decide whether or not I'll bend them into unreality.

Purists who are anti-Photoshop are not always honest about what a good image can be comprised of.  Look at the work of Michael Rosen, Mikey Boy, Max V, Derek Caballero, GW Burns and especially the amazing Jeffery Scott. They use a ton of post effects, tools and spends hours on their incredible images. All are capable with a camera all on its own, but they each have vision and see beyond reality.

Check out the comments they inspire and the quality of what they do. These guys are making a fine living using digital tools, and if their work isn't evidence that great images can be vastly improved upon from within, I don't know what does. As long as there is creativity and ability applied toward any medium, the results can be beautiful.

Someone mentioned George Hurrell and Jerry Uelsmann. Each spent more time retouching/enhancing single images than most others do in Photoshop on an entire set of images.

I agree, using PS to fix bad work is fruitless. Some people should be shot for shooting shit in the first place.

Mar 05 06 05:13 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

Vegas Alien wrote:
If you're shooting for realism and want everything to look natural, then yeah, it helps to have makeup, hair styling, etc. Of course you have to get light right.  you should always strive for that. If one fails in the basics of light and photography and tries to fix it in the mix, that will never guarantee a good image. A great image, for me, is the starting point...

I personally use PS and similar tools to finish the image I have in my mind's eye. I don;t think of myself primarily as a photographer, as using the camera is the least of what I do to conceive and create my final images. The ideas, visions (and yes, I can previsualize a final image as I did using the Zone system in b&w), lighting, locations, personalities of the subjects, their attitudes, moods and usage of the image all affect how I am going to process and enhance the final image.

Looking through my portfolio you can see growth, experimentation, minimal post work, definite post work, some images where you just can't tell, and the types and severity of tools used changes as I decide where I want to take my images. I will continue to grow and learn, rather than stagnate and make uninteresting images. I can't paint, I can't draw freehand, but I can take images right the first time and decide whether or not I'll bend them into unreality.

Purists who are anti-Photoshop are not always honest about what a good image can be comprised of.  Look at the work of Michael Rosen, Mikey Boy, Max V, Derek Caballero, GW Burns and especially the amazing Jeffery Scott. They use a ton of post effects, tools and spends hours on their incredible images. All are capable with a camera all on its own, but they each have vision and see beyond reality.

Check out the comments they inspire and the quality of what they do. These guys are making a fine living using digital tools, and if their work isn't evidence that great images can be vastly improved upon from within, I don't know what does. As long as there is creativity and ability applied toward any medium, the results can be beautiful.

Someone mentioned George Hurrell and Jerry Uelsmann. Each spent more time retouching/enhancing single images than most others do in Photoshop on an entire set of images.

I agree, using PS to fix bad work is fruitless.

Excellent post (minus the last sentence of editorial comment!)  Also, OMP has a great, in-depth, article on GW Burns' work.  Worth slogging through!

Mar 05 06 05:56 am Link

Photographer

G Katsis Photography

Camanche, Iowa, US

Universal Beauty wrote:
Digital photos and Photoshop are all the rage, and rightfully so.  However, in beauty photography, Photoshop is hard pressed to overcome a basic lack of, or flaws in, professional lighting, makeup, and hairstyling.  Agree?  Disagree?  Thoughts on the subject?  Models, feel free to put in your two cents!

"Photox: n., First cousin to Botox. Image overly retouched in photo editing program to compensate for flaws in original image or to attain beauty conditions similar to those provided by Mattel on their toy dolls for girls."

Photoshop is most emphatically not just what we did in the darkroom. In the darkroom it's necessary to start with a properly-exposed negative. That is simply not the case with digital manipulation.

There are a large number of "photographers" who are not what they think they are. They are actually very good Photoshop artists, who capture their start point with a camera. As such, they should bear the title "artist" instead of "photographer". They do produce some amazingly good art, it's just that it is Photoshop art instead of photography. Similar, not identical.

My $0.02 worth, which ought to ignite a fire or two . . .

Mar 05 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

G Katsis Photography wrote:

"Photox: n., First cousin to Botox. Image overly retouched in photo editing program to compensate for flaws in original image or to attain beauty conditions similar to those provided by Mattel on their toy dolls for girls."

Photoshop is most emphatically not just what we did in the darkroom. In the darkroom it's necessary to start with a properly-exposed negative. That is simply not the case with digital manipulation.

There are a large number of "photographers" who are not what they think they are. They are actually very good Photoshop artists, who capture their start point with a camera. As such, they should bear the title "artist" instead of "photographer". They do produce some amazingly good art, it's just that it is Photoshop art instead of photography. Similar, not identical.

My $0.02 worth, which ought to ignite a fire or two . . .

I'm still looking for someone to make a good case (not just a rant) in opposition to your position.

Mar 05 06 08:47 am Link

Photographer

Jon Scott Visual

Ian Weintraub wrote:

Are you kidding?? Just look what great things can be done with Photoshop!!!  All of the things you mentioned can be overcome.
LOL

http://www.naturalbeautiescontest.homes … uch1a.html

Yes...Those things are called "polished turds."

Some of us prefer to spend more time in production, and less time in post.  Get it right in the camera.

Mar 05 06 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

I used to shoot nothing but natural light, 35mm Chrome, bikini and teasy poster type images. Learned it well, as you HAD TO if you shot chrome. Great disipline.

Then along comes Digital and Photoshop and all that you can do in PS. I think the best approach with PS and other programs on your computer, is to shoot as if it was film and you have no post-software. then tweek what you need.

I admit my approach costs me money because the model doesnt come out looking totally perfect, blemish free, with perfect skin, etc. like others do.

We've all seen those images and the damned thing is, the model all to often looks at them and believes that she actually looks that way. With tools like curves in PS, you can add boobs, take away lumps, reduce or enlarge the eyes, whatever... you can see why the agencies wanted polariods or slides only.

How many remember the ole turn the picture upside down trick? It still works...

Mar 05 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Universal Beauty wrote:

I much prefer being referred to as an artist rather than a photographer.  In fact, that's how I'll be be billed in my exhibition later this year. I've been an artist long before I ever picked up a camera. I did learn to properly expose and shot commercial photography for a few years where color and exposure were critical. Anyone shooting commercial and editorial work knows that regardless of what you produce, there's a very good chance that the "perfection" coming out of your cameras will indeed be retouched by a graphic artist before publication.

Just as Ansel  [usually] exposed his negatives properly, he continued to alter tone, contrast and the overall mood of the image for hours in the darkroom.  Was Ansel wrong when he stopped doing "straight" prints? There were purists who thought he was wrong, but we don't remember their work or names. George Hurrell or his assistants would spend as many as eight hours retouching a single negative to get unnaturally flawless skin. Yep, his lighting was great to begin with, he got proper exposures. But, to sell his talents to the market he was in, he had to deliver a different type of finished product.

So, did those guys NOT get it right in camera? how about Jerry Uelsmann? Why, that bastard manipulates his images and they don't look real anymore.  THANK GOD! He's brilliant and has incredible vision.

It all depends on your intent and the use of the images, so why criticize if someone is doing something you would not?  If the market does not bear what they do, they will not last. If someone is not in your market, why worry about them? Let people explore and go where they are bound.  If you don't like what they do, live to tolerate when it doesn't affect your livelihood. If the guy down the street puts a huge wing on his little car, it may not be what I would do, but I certainly won't ridicule him or react against him.

It's funny how a lot of this conversation is being stirred by some who have not yet learned color consistency or exposure control. The market will bear that out, too.  Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm..."

Mar 05 06 11:34 am Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:
Are you kidding?? Just look what great things can be done with Photoshop!!!  All of the things you mentioned can be overcome.
LOL

The pictures on this site have to be the worse example of photoshop work i've ever seen.

Mar 05 06 11:40 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

I'm NOT a photographer nor an artist.

I use photoshop. I created evils and angels that no photographer can shoot.

I removed the cigarette butts off the floor from the photographers shoot with a famous band. I removed  the friggin scratches from the negatives after the scans. I removed the most friggin highlights and shadows from the face of a very famous female singer cause it made the photographer mad. and really made me too. I made a 40 year old female DJ thin and back to 21 while there was another guy in the shoot who was hugging her. was a bitch to do. I made a famous movie stars teeth white and made the guy who is giving her a bunch of roses look less stoned by working on his eyes. sharpened the roses too.

and yeah I use photoshop.

I'm guilty.

wink

Mar 05 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

Koray,

Your work is phenomenal.  I really like your Photoshop battles.  Some outstanding work in there. Reality isn't always as it seems, is it?

Mar 05 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

photog2b wrote:

The pictures on this site have to be the worse example of photoshop work i've ever seen.

The gloves are coming off!

Mar 05 06 12:29 pm Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

Vegas Alien wrote:
Koray,
Your work is phenomenal.  I really like your Photoshop battles.  Some outstanding work in there. Reality isn't always as it seems, is it?

reality is a little limited in my opinion...we open our minds and seek the unreal and try to picture it...I dig your work too man, keep it up. we have nothing to worry about.

Mar 05 06 12:50 pm Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

Universal Beauty wrote:
The gloves are coming off!

IMO  Why not look at them yourself and give your "honest" opinion.  =o)

Mar 05 06 01:11 pm Link

Model

Tara Donancricchia

Chicago, Illinois, US

Universal Beauty wrote:
Digital photos and Photoshop are all the rage, and rightfully so.  However, in beauty photography, Photoshop is hard pressed to overcome a basic lack of, or flaws in, professional lighting, makeup, and hairstyling.  Agree?  Disagree?  Thoughts on the subject?  Models, feel free to put in your two cents!

I agree... Paint Shop Pro is much more effective in fixing those things.
I like it a lot better than Photo Shop!!
xoxox Jen

Mar 05 06 01:18 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

LMAO @ koray -- dude you rock. 

i love photoshop.  i love retouching.  half of the time i do shoot for post.  if there's something i envision and it's impossible to get it in camera, you're damned right i'm doing it in photoshop. 

the original post by universal beauty was about photoshop and beauty photography.  it is de rigeur in beauty photography, and the beauty industry.  everything -- EVERYTHING is retouched.  from stray hairs to the removal/placement of shadows, from digital nosejobs to digital boob jobs.  the desire for perfection is what sells makeup, skin care, hair care, toothpaste, contact lenses, etc...  if people wanted to have "real" skin, we wouldn't need makeup.  if people weren't sold on the illusion that they are ugly until they purchase and use these beauty products, there wouldn't be a need for models, or beauty photography, or retouching.

before and after:

https://seanarmenta.com/samples/beforeafter1.jpg

skin sample taken from images above -- samples taken from upper right hand corner:

https://seanarmenta.com/samples/beforeafter2.jpg

pores/skin texture still retained after retouch...

Mar 05 06 01:18 pm Link

Model

Tara Donancricchia

Chicago, Illinois, US

RED Photographic wrote:
Don't forget Paint Shop Pro, which I use.

Paint Shop Pro is ALL THAT!! It is the God of Editors! LOL! *grins*
xoxox Jen

Mar 05 06 01:19 pm Link

Photographer

Andrew Gettler

Pueblo, Colorado, US

Ian Weintraub wrote:
LOL

Ok those images are just Friggin Creepy as all Hades..  I have chills running up and down my spine.. blech.

Most the techniques they used flatened the image to 2d, and turned it from human to something else.  Only thing those are good for is the Crypt Keeper, or Alfred Hitchcock.

Mar 05 06 01:20 pm Link

Model

Tara Donancricchia

Chicago, Illinois, US

DigitalSwede wrote:
Do the best you can while shooting and then if need be re-touch in photoshop. Dont think because you have photoshop you can take a crap image and make it great .

I agree 100%. The only thing that can fix a "crap image" is a re-shoot or a diff tog!!
xoxox Jen

Mar 05 06 01:20 pm Link

Photographer

Jordan Hamilton May

Lake Forest, California, US

Photoshop is great just keep your models looking like models not dolls.

Mar 05 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Tara Donancricchia

Chicago, Illinois, US

DigitalSwede wrote:
Do the best you can while shooting and then if need be re-touch in photoshop. Dont think because you have photoshop you can take a crap image and make it great .

I agree 100%. The only thing that can fix a "crap image" is a re-shoot or a diff tog!! The editors should only be used to fix flaws, not a complete mess.
xoxox Jen

Mar 05 06 01:21 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

G Katsis Photography wrote:

I don't know.  Back in the day I seem the remember the term "Push" an awful lot. smile

Mar 05 06 03:53 pm Link

Photographer

byReno

Vegas Alien wrote:

I much prefer being referred to as an artist rather than a photographer.  In fact, that's how I'll be be billed in my exhibition later this year. I've been an artist long before I ever picked up a camera. I did learn to properly expose and shot commercial photography for a few years where color and exposure were critical. Anyone shooting commercial and editorial work knows that regardless of what you produce, there's a very good chance that the "perfection" coming out of your cameras will indeed be retouched by a graphic artist before publication.

Just as Ansel  [usually] exposed his negatives properly, he continued to alter tone, contrast and the overall mood of the image for hours in the darkroom.  Was Ansel wrong when he stopped doing "straight" prints? There were purists who thought he was wrong, but we don't remember their work or names. George Hurrell or his assistants would spend as many as eight hours retouching a single negative to get unnaturally flawless skin. Yep, his lighting was great to begin with, he got proper exposures. But, to sell his talents to the market he was in, he had to deliver a different type of finished product.

So, did those guys NOT get it right in camera? how about Jerry Uelsmann? Why, that bastard manipulates his images and they don't look real anymore.  THANK GOD! He's brilliant and has incredible vision.

It all depends on your intent and the use of the images, so why criticize if someone is doing something you would not?  If the market does not bear what they do, they will not last. If someone is not in your market, why worry about them? Let people explore and go where they are bound.  If you don't like what they do, live to tolerate when it doesn't affect your livelihood. If the guy down the street puts a huge wing on his little car, it may not be what I would do, but I certainly won't ridicule him or react against him.

It's funny how a lot of this conversation is being stirred by some who have not yet learned color consistency or exposure control. The market will bear that out, too.  Things that make you go, "Hmmmmmm..."

One of these day I am going to track you down, buy you a beer and sit down and chat.

Mar 05 06 03:59 pm Link

Photographer

Vegas Alien

Armington, Illinois, US

byReno wrote:

One of these day I am going to track you down, buy you a beer and sit down and chat.

Magic words: buy me a beer. I have some free time the last week of March.

Mar 05 06 04:53 pm Link

Photographer

Universal Beauty

I must say that this thread has been great:  a lot of participation, really good imput, and, (so far!) reasonably intelligent and civil.  Keep it up!  smile

Mar 05 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Universal Beauty wrote:

I live by photoshop for sure. But, at the same time, I'm not foolish enough to believe that it can do all things. Afterall, it wasn't until Photoshop CS that a simple raster rectangle could be drawn - go figure.

In any case, Photoshop should NEVER be meant to use as a replacement wadrobe, make-up, or anything else. I the modeling world, It's correction power is sufficient

Mar 05 06 05:29 pm Link

Photographer

Sean Armenta

00siris wrote:

In any case, Photoshop should NEVER be meant to use as a replacement wadrobe, make-up, or anything else. I the modeling world, It's correction power is sufficient[/quote wrote:

i don't necessarily agree... i think photoshop should be used to it's full extent when called for.  it is a money and time saving tool -- clients would rather spend for a pro retoucher than pay for a reshoot.  also, sometimes it is more cost effective to use photoshop than it is to accomplish something in-camera.

take the automotive industry for example.  a lot of the studio car shots used for ads and brochures are now CGI.  it's cheaper to hire one tech guy to draft the car in a computer than to hire a photographer + crew + studio + post production + other expenses.  and that CGI car can now be dropped into any environment, from print to TVC, in any color the client wishes.

all beauty retouching goes beyond the corrective stage.  it's aim is fantasy-like perfection.  nothing to do with reality.  all advertising photography has nothing to do with reality.  the only branches of photography that deal with reality is photojournalism, medical, and forensic/legal photography.

i don't understand the hesitation to use the technology and tools that are available to us.  these are simply means to accomplish the final vision of the artist or the client.  whether you do it with a 4x5 view camera or an H1 with an imacon back... does it matter?  whether that sky was really there when you shot the image or you dropped it in later in photoshop...does it matter if that was the final image you wanted or saw in your artistic vision?  i guess you could wait all year for that perfect sky to appear, but it may never come.

Mar 05 06 06:59 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

I completely agree that a ton of photographers use digital and photoshop to fill their lack of talent.So many people these days think that just because they own a digital camera that they're a photographer and get away with charging people for their very crappy images;Whereas I went to school for four years to learn what I could about photography, and did so without ever using digital.Photoshop is fun for an artsy effect, ( I have a series of images with a photographer that are photoshopped to look like a cartoon, thats the feel he was going for.) but I dont think by any means that it should be used to make a model slim when she/he isnt, to fix their ignorance of lighting,exposures,etc.Completely my opinion though wink

Mar 05 06 07:09 pm Link

Photographer

Stu

Atlanta, Georgia, US

And I do see another thread started about Photoshop by someone who does not know Photoshop.

Points I agree on however:

1. Get the shot
2. Get the shot right
3. Then photoshop

and yes there is in my mind there is abuse of photoshop but there is also abuse of photography as well.

Mar 05 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

Sean Armenta wrote:
i don't understand the hesitation to use the technology and tools that are available to us.  these are simply means to accomplish the final vision of the artist or the client.  whether you do it with a 4x5 view camera or an H1 with an imacon back... does it matter?  whether that sky was really there when you shot the image or you dropped it in later in photoshop...does it matter if that was the final image you wanted or saw in your artistic vision?  i guess you could wait all year for that perfect sky to appear, but it may never come.

Well, you and I are kinda on the same page - There's certainly no hesitance to use technology to it's fullest potential. Like I said, I live by photoshop and am proud of it. I'm arguing that we ought not use it for the simple reason that we are able to. This is especially true in the modeling world.

Why would a designer take the time to create an outfit just to have it artistically recreated in the world of abstract virtuousity? Doesn't make sense. But if the greens and blues are not quite captured correctly or if a model got the right pose but is a bit disproportionate from the perspective or something like that, then we go in and make the corrections.

CGI is a bit different because the goal is to actually create the world that we see. A photographer's job is to capture a moment from a world that already exists.

Mar 05 06 07:30 pm Link