Forums > General Industry > Petite Models... What do you think of 'em?

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

I'm a petite model, rare to get good work in modeling, so i wanted to know what photogs and models on MM thought of them. No rudeness guys =P Well... ahh go ahead, just don't get the mod "The Police" mad or break any rules i guess lol

Mar 01 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

I love working with petite models; I have no problems at all. But it is true they often get overlooked...

Ar ar! I made a funny!

Sorry. I'll go away now.

Mar 01 06 11:56 pm Link

Photographer

WV-Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Salma Hayek is one of the most beautiful women in the world and she appears not infrequently in high fashion mags. What you lack in length you have to supply in attitude, versatility in posing, and emotional connection and theatrix.

Mar 01 06 11:59 pm Link

Model

Nemi

Jamaica, New York, US

Another short people thread?
....I'll just go play in traffic.

Mar 01 06 11:59 pm Link

Photographer

STUDIOMONA PHOTOGRAPHY

Avon, Minnesota, US

lol Pat.

Due to recent no show events,  my main criteria when looking for a model is this: as long as they show up, I'll shoot them lol smile harhar

Mar 02 06 12:00 am Link

Model

Rachel Dashae

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I will say we are over-looked. I've actually had people "change thier mind" sort of on me,just because they would learn about my height after not actually reading through my MM profile well.

But I think we're fun,and it's always nice to have a switch up from a tall to a short model. :]

Mar 02 06 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Albie Bruno

DELAND, Florida, US

Petite models.....
I love them....actually prefer them....
(I have a smaller studio...they usually have a smaller ego)

Mar 02 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Hey! Someone should shoot a pic with a tall model looking down on a short model while she looks up, facing the camura! Lol if that hasn't been done and all.

Overlooked, short people... funny words =P

Mar 02 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Albie Bruno wrote:
Petite models.....

Why'd you have to be in NY!! Nooooooooooo smile

Mar 02 06 12:05 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Working with a Petite Model or a Tall model to is irrelavent!!!

As long as the model is Physically Proportioned, it really doesn't matter...

I don't shoot fashion so the clothes the girl wears won't be made for really tall chicks.  I have been shooting commercial, editorial, sports, and glamour for over 20 years Proportionality is what I look for.

Mar 02 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Jae Visuals

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I enjoy working with petite models...very much so...

Mar 02 06 12:15 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

MusePhotographer wrote:
lol Pat.

Due to recent no show events,  my main criteria when looking for a model is this: as long as they show up, I'll shoot them lol smile harhar

Me too!

Mar 02 06 12:16 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Why is it all the photographers who like to shoot Petites are out of CA ><

I gotta move lol

Mar 02 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Most of my models have been petite. The Fashion Industry prefers taller models for runway but I don't think it makes that much difference for print work. More important to me is where the hips are in relation to the feet and neck. You have to change the pose, camera angle etc to get the best from different body types. Some would say that is the difference between long-legged and short-legged but that would only be relative to the specific height. Anyway, beautiful is beautiful and altitude alone means very little.

Have fun, take pictures

Mar 02 06 12:19 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Seriously, I've worked with some very good petite models, and I have absolutely no problem with height. In fact, I've worked with more petite, or "short" models than I have with ones that would make good fashion models (only one of those, actually). I know there are shoots that require the models to be of a certain height, but for what I do this isn't an issue.

-P-

Mar 02 06 12:21 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Not by choice, but 7 out of 10 models I shoot are Petite and I'm really ok with it. Clothing is much easier to find in small and extra small.
I also have a smaller studio so it works out very well in my favor.

I enjoy shooting petite models.

Mar 02 06 12:22 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Can ya guys get any farther?!

Mar 02 06 12:27 am Link

Photographer

Pat Thielen

Hastings, Minnesota, US

Sasha Palacio wrote:

Sure! I could move to the East Coast... or England. Or Australia... that'd be nice. But then again I've been thinking of moving to Seattle, so I may be moving closer...  Anyway, I do wish you the very best with your modeling. I'd personally be very happy to work with you.

-P-

Mar 02 06 12:31 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Pat Thielen wrote:

Sure! I could move to the East Coast... or England. Or Australia... that'd be nice. But then again I've been thinking of moving to Seattle, so I may be moving closer...  Anyway, I do wish you the very best with your modeling. I'd personally be very happy to work with you.

-P-

big_smile Thanx, would've like to work with ya too smile

Mar 02 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Mar 02 06 12:35 am Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

in the past few months these are the more memorable ones:

Sharrae                 5’-2â€? 105lbs
Sarah L                  5’-3â€? 110lbs
Lucy Luck              5’-0â€? 102lbs
Angela V.                 5’-5â€? 105lbs
Deadlypoetry        5’-2â€? 110lbs
Vivian H.              5’-3â€? 130lbs
Alison                 5’-7â€? 125lbs
Sara G.                  5’-9â€? 175lbs
Hashana                 6’-0â€? 170lbs
Kelly S.        5’-2â€? 120lbs
Miyou        5’-8â€? 138lbs

Mar 02 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

WBV Artography

San Antonio, Texas, US

Oh hell-I'm so short my feet don't touch the ground.

I love short models and petite models personal favorites.

Yeah, I know they aren't in big commercial demand but fuck it don't mean nothin as I can take one and create a masterpiece of art and that's where my money is made.

Mar 02 06 01:33 am Link

Photographer

JimsArt

Bolingbrook, Illinois, US

I have an artistic background which included figure drawing so I'm open to wide variety of models.  I know there are some photographers that are very specific as to the type of models they'll work with.  I'm more open.

Mar 02 06 01:46 am Link

Model

Kira Jaye

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Hehe petite models ROCK (Im 5"2, 103lbs) smile but then again so do tall models smile either way....

Mar 02 06 01:56 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Sasha Palacio wrote:

Yeah, we can...

I love to work with petite models too... well... height doesn't really matter... I like'em.

Won't use for obvious reasons for runway... but, for photography... and other stuff... very nice!

Guess the next step of distance would be Europe or Pacific Rim... big_smile

Mar 02 06 02:03 am Link

Photographer

DeBoer Photography

Melbourne, Florida, US

Mar 02 06 02:13 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

There was only one person on this thread in CA >< Lol well that was fun =P

Mar 02 06 02:18 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

DeBoer Photography wrote:

Hmmm...wonder what "other stuff..."  smile

Errr... errrr... durrrr... durrrr...ahem... https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/UdoRPhotoArchive/MakingAPointGifs/bashful.gif

Mar 02 06 02:22 am Link

Model

SarahSVET

Los Angeles, California, US

Kena wrote:
Salma Hayek is one of the most beautiful women in the world and she appears not infrequently in high fashion mags. What you lack in length you have to supply in attitude, versatility in posing, and emotional connection and theatrix.

Salma is gorgeous yes but that doesnt mean there is going to be a demand for shorter models because of her. She is an actress not a model.

Mar 02 06 02:22 am Link

Model

Kira Jaye

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia

Take a look at US glamour/fitness models, majority stand at 5"2-5"6 tall! A lot of people are unaware of this factor as height is often overlooked in these images. If you have the right body proportion then you cant tell how tall a person is in photos!

Mar 02 06 02:26 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

maybe only because i tend to shoot for mainstream agencies with runway links/work that, for example, most the female models are 5'9" - 5'11"; otherwise, see a lot of 5'4" - 5'8" (again, females, as per this thread) for editorial work ...

... but have, on occasion, shot with a couple of really well proportioned (height - weight) models who were 5'2" and 5'3".

fml

Mar 02 06 02:30 am Link

Photographer

Hamza

New York, New York, US

Aren't petite girls called 'Spinners'?

Mar 02 06 02:38 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Hamza wrote:
Aren't petite girls called 'Spinners'?

Lol don't know really, but funny thing is that that is my nickname in class =P Spinner

Mar 02 06 02:41 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Sasha Palacio wrote:
i wanted to know what photogs and models on MM thought of them.

I think they're shorter, and not as tall. smile

It depends entirely on what I'm shooting whether I'm looking for tall, short, slim, curvy, long-hair, short-hair (wigs help... smile ), etc.

Mar 02 06 02:54 am Link

Photographer

lll

Seattle, Washington, US

Pat Thielen wrote:
But then again I've been thinking of moving to Seattle, so I may be moving closer...

Welcome to Seattle.  Once you've visited, you can't leave.  It's like, ahem, Hotel Seattle.  smile

It's much easier to find proportioned tall girls than short ones.  There is a reason why most models tend to be tall.  But if all "petite" models look like Cindy V, I'll be shooting them everyday...

Selma Hayak is not a good example, she is an actress, not a model.

And I agree with UdoR.  lol

Mar 02 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Sasha Palacio wrote:
There was only one person on this thread in CA >< Lol well that was fun =P

You're not really even tiny; small yes, burt I regularly shoot with 2 girls who are 4ft 10 and 87 pounds. Thing is, they are so well proportioned to their height that unless there is smething (like a car) to show them in perspective, they look tall.
One of them is "Eyes Have It" in my port.
For the kind of work I do, smaller is just easier to work around.

Mar 02 06 08:22 am Link

Model

Sasha Palacio

Pasadena, California, US

Lol sorry all for droping out for a while, was 1am over here and needed to go to sleep. But i'm back and i'd like to say thank you all for the advice, comments and thoughts. I'll keep hold of them and hope to eventually run into one of you guys out there =P Well, keep up the talk on your feelings about Petite Models, always great to hear.

Oh and i believe i'm pretty proportional to my weight and height. I just look alot younger than i am >

Mar 02 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

MarkMarek

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I definitely love and prefer to work with petite models. That is as long as they don't have fake boobs.

Mar 02 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

Dreams To Keep

Novi, Michigan, US

The only model that I ever shot that made it into Playboy (the magazine, not the website) was under 5 foot tall.  Such a cutie!!  She was in a Girls of the Big 10 feature.

Clarification - no, I didn't shoot the Playboy feature, she got in after I shot with her but via an interview and a polaroid, not my images of her.  But hey, what a sweetie and a beauty.

Mar 02 06 02:17 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

Albie Bruno wrote:
Petite models.....

::chuckle::

Mar 02 06 02:21 pm Link